ADVERTISEMENT

Recruiting class shaping up nicely

lowcountry_cock13

Oct 12, 2017
#18 Nationally, #6 in SEC, #2 in the East.
Realistically I think we land Sanddidge, Horn and Wonnum.

KJ and Tindell are long, long shots. I’m sure other teams will continue to land recruits but if we can finish Top 15 and in the top half of the SEC I’ll say successful class!

KJ and Tindell are long, long shots. I’m sure other teams will continue to land recruits but if we can finish Top 15 and in the top half of the SEC I’ll say successful class!
I like your thinking.

Reactions: okccock
Gwyn is down to NC State and USC, he would be a huge get,

when is the last time we had. A OL that made the opening finals.

3 star because he is 6-2, if he was 6-5 he would be a 5 star, imho

Reactions: lawcalcock
We could’ve used an XT type to Commit early and be the cornerstone. Now he’s just a pebble. But that’s another story.

Seems all the top guys weve landed in history commit and sign the same day. Hard to build a great class when they don’t commit as a 4 year old and never waver (tater tech).

This thread is too positive for FGF.

We could’ve used an XT type to Commit early and be the cornerstone. Now he’s just a pebble. But that’s another story.

Seems all the top guys weve landed in history commit and sign the same day. Hard to build a great class when they don’t commit as a 4 year old and never waver (tater tech).

There's the spirit!

Numbers are going to get tight, especially if we surprise with Gerald, Louis and/or Henry.

I think you're looking at 2017. We are 14th overall, 5th in the SEC and 2nd in the East.

L. Benson is listed as a DT on that ^ list, but everywhere else I’ve seen him listed as OL. Anyone know which one he projects as?

When he committed, Benson was looked at as a OL, Wofford recruited him

I have not heard of a change

LaMarius Benson first visited South Carolina as a defensive lineman. That was last summer, when he was on campus for Muschamp Camp.

Last month, Benson (6-3, 305) returned to South Carolina for junior day, but this time as an offensive lineman. The Gamecocks pulled the trigger on an offer before he left for home in Covington, Ga.

“It was an honor, it being my first SEC school,” Benson said. “I kind of like it down there. It’s good down there. They made me feel good.”

Word of the offer came from Muschamp and offensive line coach Eric Wolford.

“(Wolford) said he needs a player like me at South Carolina. He likes the way I can play, the way I can move, a lot of good things,” Benson said.

L. Benson is listed as a DT on that ^ list, but everywhere else I’ve seen him listed as OL. Anyone know which one he projects as?

I have not seen any reports about Benson at DT, all OL

Jesus Gibbs the OT out of Virginia is now saying he may be brought in as a DE for his initial look

I have not seen any reports about Benson at DT, all OL

Jesus Gibbs the OT out of Virginia is now saying he may be brought in as a DE for his initial look
Thx. Seems like we’ve been able to get plenty of quality o linemen but struggling to get d linemen. With Sawyer, Stallworth, and Jones moving on, getting the big guys on the dl will be huge this recruiting cycle. Really need Sandidge

I agree it will be a success but we will have to build on it and get even better next year. Right now we don't have any recruits in the Rivals top 100 while Clemson has 4 and likely will end up with 5...maybe even 7. Hate to be Debbie downer but the reality is we will never catch Clemson until we start recruiting like they do.

Reactions: Poultry King
I agree it will be a success but we will have to build on it and get even better next year. Right now we don't have any recruits in the Rivals top 100 while Clemson has 4 and likely will end up with 5...maybe even 7. Hate to be Debbie downer but the reality is we will never catch Clemson until we start recruiting like they do.
Agreed but realistically it may take a couple more classes to be in that Top 10. If by year 4 in Champs tenure, if we aren’t bringing in the larger blue chip talent we will remain a headache for the other SEC teams but we won’t be a contender.

I look more at the average star rankings of each team. That gives you a better indication who was a top class. I mean we have the #14 ranked class because we have so many players committed. But I look at the quality of those players. When doing that we are ranked in the 30s. Clemson only has like 12 players committed and is ranked #30, but as far as quality star average is ranked #8 by rivals. The quality of the player matters more to me than the quantity. Regardless, this is shaping up to be one of our best classes in the last 8 years. Steady improvement with a chance to finish with some really key, talented players.

Reactions: memphis cock#
I look more at the average star rankings of each team. That gives you a better indication who was a top class. I mean we have the #14 ranked class because we have so many players committed. But I look at the quality of those players. When doing that we are ranked in the 30s. Clemson only has like 12 players committed and is ranked #30, but as far as quality star average is ranked #8 by rivals. The quality of the player matters more to me than the quantity. Regardless, this is shaping up to be one of our best classes in the last 8 years. Steady improvement with a chance to finish with some really key, talented players.

What are you talking about? We have 20 commitments. That's pretty consistent/similar to most of the teams in the top 25. Oh, you just wanted to point out Clemson's recruiting class. Ok.

What are you talking about? We have 20 commitments. That's pretty consistent/similar to most of the teams in the top 25. Oh, you just wanted to point out Clemson's recruiting class. Ok.
I thought I was pretty clear. The quantity we have right now is why we are so high IMO, not because of the quality of players. It’s a nice class, but I don’t expect us to finish on the top 15. Probably finish between 20-25. Still a good class.

Reactions: drawplay000
I thought I was pretty clear. The quantity we have right now is why we are so high IMO, not because of the quality of players. It’s a nice class, but I don’t expect us to finish on the top 15. Probably finish between 20-25. Still a good class.

We have similar # of commitments of everyone else in the top 25 within 1 or 2 commits, except for Alabama. We'll probably take 3 more commitments, and they all appear to be 4 star players. I seriously doubt we'll be ranked as low as #20-#25.

Rivals ranks the top 20 commits in the team rankings. So if you have more than 20, your lowest ranked guys don't count. If you have less than 20, then obviously your class ranking will be negatively impacted.

I'm not sure how many players the other recruiting services count.

We finished number 2 in the East on the field this year; we need to be number 1.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT