ADVERTISEMENT

Recruiting class shaping up nicely

My apologies in advance for being so long winded, but this is a topic I am a bit passionate about. Simply skip it if any of you are the type that gets his/her panties in a wad anytime someone has the audacity to post multiple paragraphs.

I've always been enamored with the two opposing viewpoints that Spurrier left the cupboard bare versus the argument that his last few recruiting classes were very similar in terms of national rank as most of his tenure.

It's certainly true that the argument that Spurrier just stopped recruiting this final 2 or 3 years is a gross exaggeration. Spurrier and the staff did indeed continue to recruit players of a similar talent level. The problem is that the staff (which starts with the HBC) failed to do their homework to make sure all of the players would be a good fit and would be able to qualify without prep school.

Every coaching staff misses from time to time and recruits players that are ultimately unable to qualify. The problem is that these issues reached an unprecedented level at the end of Spurrier's tenure.

As satisfying as it is to see a class ranked in the top 15, I honestly don't think the difference between a class ranked 15th compared to a class ranked 25th, for example, really makes as much of a difference as i might seem.

There's no doubt that highly talented blue chip recruits statistically have a greater probability of developing into star players. Conversely, there are dozens of 3 star players who also develop into valuable contributors. Just off the top of my head, I don't think Baker Mayfield, Lamar Jackson, or Hunter Renfrow were highly sought after before becoming stars.

I honestly don't care if the final class ranking is 13 17, 21, 25, or anywhere in between or close to that level. I'm much more interested to see if the staff is recruiting players to address the biggest needs while also vetting them thoroughly enough to be sure that they are good character guys that will be able to qualify.

I won't disagree that having a roster overflowing with talent from multiple top 5 recruiting classes or even top 10 can help to mask mistakes and provide more margin for error. But just look at this year's FSU team, last year's Notre Dame squad, the Texas teams of the past several years, this year's UF and UT rosters, and even UCLA. All of the aforementioned teams are considered to be in the top 15 or so in terms of overall talent on their rosters.

https://247sports.com/Season/2017-Football/CollegeTeamTalentComposite

It quite simply boils down to this; success is mostly about having a staff with the ability to recognize talented players that will fit the culture and being able to develop these players to the maximum of their abilities. Three years from now if the world sees a bevy of former 3 stars that developed into All-SEC caliber players as well as several NFL draft picks then the blue-chippers will eventually begin to take notice.

****One brief caveat: this will also require the team to continue to improve from year to year overall, and it can't possibly be overstated how important it is to bring in an OC that runs an exciting and dynamic scheme that brings excitement to both the players and fans alike.
Worth the read. Good thoughts

Reactions: rogue cock
When people start talking about filling "needs", it usually means they ain't hangin' with the Big Boys in recruiting.

So if a team signs quality offensive lineman cause it’s a need and several quality players in secondary cause it’s a position of need it means “ they ain’t hanging “?? Um nope

Some of you are overlooking one big factor in Spurrier's last few years.
The cupboard wasn't bare when he left. But what we had hadn't been developed like previous teams. What went south was coaching. Our staff dropped off starting with losing Lawing, and the level of play dropped off with every coaching replacement. Ward (as DC), Adams, Botkin and crew on defense was a recipe for disaster.

So if a team signs quality offensive lineman cause it’s a need and several quality players in secondary cause it’s a position of need it means “ they ain’t hanging “?? Um nope
All I know is that coaches here have been saying that for years, and only about twice have we had Top 10 recruiting classes. The historical results speak for themselves.

Agree with 99 percent of that. I'll only say that your belief that the last staff suddenly became unable to vet players of character is an opinion I don't agree with. They knew who they were getting. It's just the best they could do after Spurrier said he'd only coach a couple more years. It was that damaging. Of course his age added salt to the wound.

After I wrote my reply and went back and read it, I see that I am once again guilty of a lengthy diatribe. What can I say—mid December can be difficult while waiting for bowl season. Once again sorry for the length, but you are all free to skip right over it.

I should probably clarify that a bit in order to express myself more clearly. I think that you're absolutely correct that a group of veteran coaches doesn't suddenly forget the process of vetting the players they were recruiting.

I think the increased number of misses (for lack of a better word) due to character issues and/or inability to qualify was due to a few reasons. As you suggested, likely the primary reason relates to the negative recruiting tactics of competitors (especially SEC East rivals and the Tiggers), which most likely forced the staff to have to expand their recruiting base to include more questionable targets to make up for the potential negative effect from the negative recruiting by the competition.

Then of course there would likely be at least some effect on recruiting with the uncertainty surrounding Spurrier's long-term future that was completely independent of any of the negative recruiting—i.e. his age as you suggested.

However, I still believe to some extent that the staff (primarily SOS but by extension the other coaches as well) was no longer putting in the required effort to make sure that all the young men being recruited were right for the program. While I tend to disagree with the exceedingly common assertion that Spurrier and co. were only putting forth a minimal effort on talent evaluation and on the recruiting trail altogether, I do believe that some of the staff did take shortcuts in terms of their character evaluation for the final couple recruiting cycles.

Some of the issues can even be chalked up to bad luck. It's not like Spurrier and the staff hadn't recruited guys in the past where qualifying was a bit of an uncertainty. It just so happens that at the end of his tenure the a much larger number of the borderline recruits failed to qualify. It was as if virtually all of the 50/50 guys (not sure how else to describe them) over the last two cycles weren't panning out.

At the same time all of this was going on in terms of recruiting, I think there was a significant decline in the quality of player development in certain areas. The most obvious example was with the departure of Brad Lawing. Clowney was undoubtedly a generational talent, but Lawing was always able to get all of his guys playing to their maximum potential. I also thought that the LB play gradually declined after Ellis Johnson left and Botkin took over the LB duties. That's not to mention how the secondary (especially CB's) gradually regressed after Whammy became full time DC. Whammy went from being an above average CB/ secondary coach when that was his primary responsibility to a DC that appeared to be in over his head without Ellis Johnson there to help him after all of the superstars of the 2011-2013 era departed.

Things were clearly on a slow decline post 2013, but the 2014 offense was quite often able to mask the defensive ineptitude. Regardless though, I still felt like with a slight shakeup of the defensive staff and some new hires along with a renewed commitment from SOS that the decline would be short lived and the team would rebound with no more than perhaps one more mediocre year at most following 2014.

That is of course where I was sorely mistaken. With a roster that was already suffering from a combination of higher than normal attrition, players that failed to qualify, and a few instances of less than stellar talent assessment, the last thing the program could afford at that point was to have their leader quit on them midseason. So much for leading by example to illustrate to these young men how to be a man when faced with adversity. Spurrier made it seem as though he was above the messages and principles that the coaches were trying to instill in the players.

Sean Elliott certainly did the best that he possibly could given the situation he was thrust into. I don't care if the interim coach was Knute Rockne, Bear Bryant, John Heisman, Bud Wilkinson, or Vince freakin' Lombardi. Spurrier left the team in a situation where success was all but impossible.

UGA is in position to sign the best class they have signed since all these recruiting sites have been up, early 90's at least. We have a shot at 7 5* guys and will get at least 4 and likely 5 with with 3 of them being the number 1 player at their positions, and possibly 5 number 1 at their positions. Another is a 5* on 247, but still have to develope them.

K

UGA is in position to sign the best class they have signed since all these recruiting sites have been up, early 90's at least. We have a shot at 7 5* guys and will get at least 4 and likely 5 with with 3 of them being the number 1 player at their positions, and possibly 5 number 1 at their positions. Another is a 5* on 247, but still have to develope them.

While this admittedly isn't the proper place for anything more than a cursory conversation about UGA's recruiting, I must admit that Smart and company have been recruiting at an unworldly level. Various recruiting sites may have tOSU ranked #1, but UGA's potential class is much more impressive IMO.

More importantly, given the style that UGA has been playing (whether by design or due to a true frosh QB) they have been picking up recruits that are absolutely perfect for their scheme.

For those on here that are unfamiliar, they have like 18 recruits that include a 5* QB (#1 dual threat Justin Fields), the consensus #1 RB (5* Zamir White), the consensus #3 RB (4* James Cook), and the #2 OG (4* Trey Hill). That's before taking into consideration that they are the heavy favorite to land the #1 OG (5*Jamaree Salyer) and many feel that it's a two way race between UGA and Clemson to land the nation's #2 OT (5* Cade Mays).

As if that wasn't unfair enough already, they've got a commitment from the nation's #5 Center to boot (4* Warren Ericson) who just happens to excel at guard as well.

Once they get the QB situation settled between their three 5* QB's (Eason, Fromm, Fields) and they get more comfortable passing the ball they already have two 5^ WR's with Mecole Hardman and Terry Godwin who were each rated #1 nationally in their position the past couple years.. I'm pretty sure that they have a high 4* WR committed for 2018 too. OH yeah, I have to mention that 5* TE of theirs (Isaac Nauta) too who was also #1 at his position nationally.

So as nice as it will be to finally see Chubb and Michelle move on to the NFL, they will still have three 5* RB's with Swift and the two freshmen running behind what will be far and away the most talented OL in the nation. They will have multiple 5* OL on the bench next year along with 5* QB's and 5* RB's.

The defense should be better next year too.

Forget just the SEC East. Look out Bama and look out Tiggers. UGA will be the next dynasty,

While this admittedly isn't the proper place for anything more than a cursory conversation about UGA's recruiting, I must admit that Smart and company have been recruiting at an unworldly level. Various recruiting sites may have tOSU ranked #1, but UGA's potential class is much more impressive IMO.

More importantly, given the style that UGA has been playing (whether by design or due to a true frosh QB) they have been picking up recruits that are absolutely perfect for their scheme.

For those on here that are unfamiliar, they have like 18 recruits that include a 5* QB (#1 dual threat Justin Fields), the consensus #1 RB (5* Zamir White), the consensus #3 RB (4* James Cook), and the #2 OG (4* Trey Hill). That's before taking into consideration that they are the heavy favorite to land the #1 OG (5*Jamaree Salyer) and many feel that it's a two way race between UGA and Clemson to land the nation's #2 OT (5* Cade Mays).

As if that wasn't unfair enough already, they've got a commitment from the nation's #5 Center to boot (4* Warren Ericson) who just happens to excel at guard as well.

Once they get the QB situation settled between their three 5* QB's (Eason, Fromm, Fields) and they get more comfortable passing the ball they already have two 5^ WR's with Mecole Hardman and Terry Godwin who were each rated #1 nationally in their position the past couple years.. I'm pretty sure that they have a high 4* WR committed for 2018 too. OH yeah, I have to mention that 5* TE of theirs (Isaac Nauta) too who was also #1 at his position nationally.

So as nice as it will be to finally see Chubb and Michelle move on to the NFL, they will still have three 5* RB's with Swift and the two freshmen running behind what will be far and away the most talented OL in the nation. They will have multiple 5* OL on the bench next year along with 5* QB's and 5* RB's.

Forget just the SEC East. Look out Bama and look out Tiggers. UGA will be the next dynasty,

They will have multiple 5* OL on the bench next year

Such a shame. They wouldn't be on the bench if they were Gamecocks.

No, defense won't be better, don't have anyone to replace Roquan Smith on the roster or in the 18 class, but the other defensive guys leaving can be replaced by guys who were in the rotations this year

Hey, you leghumpers have your own board.

This is a free board that has rules for posting, I haven't cursed anyone, said anything negative about USC , the school, coaches, players or fans, so to the best of my knowledge I haven't broken any rules. For the reason of posting here I enjoy football and recruiting and also enjoy conversation about both. If you are not interested in how teams on your schedule are doing I am sure Rivals would appreciate you buying a subscription and then you would only have to hear Gamecock news.

Maybe this exist already but I would think one of these recruiting sites would ranked classes 3-4 years after they sign....would be interesting to see those trends of who is developing guys the best. I guess the ultimate proof is the on-feild results...you can analyze things to death but it comes down to wins and losses

Saban gave the family secret recipe to Smart, left all his other past assistants out in the cold.

Maybe this exist already but I would think one of these recruiting sites would ranked classes 3-4 years after they sign....would be interesting to see those trends of who is developing guys the best. I guess the ultimate proof is the on-feild results...you can analyze things to death but it comes down to wins and losses
247 does a ranking of current talent on each team which includes attrition. Closest thing you’ll get I think

One thing about the class of 2018 that no one can deny, is that it has character, Marlon Character!!!

They will have multiple 5* OL on the bench next year

Such a shame. They wouldn't be on the bench if they were Gamecocks.

I actually do not understand this about recruiting and have thought the same about Bama for years. Why would a five star sign up to sit behind a five star? Not complaining, but it is perplexing.

I actually do not understand this about recruiting and have thought the same about Bama for years. Why would a five star sign up to sit behind a five star? Not complaining, but it is perplexing.
1-Excellent coaching
2-No pressure to perform for 2 years
3-Get to work out, practice and learn for 2 years and be a part of a team that is competing at a high level, which is always fun.
4-only have to play and audition for the League for 2 years.
5-Higher chance of making the league playing for a top tier college team.

It's basically an easier path to a huge paycheck.
Thank goodness for scholarship limits...especially for teams like ours. Looks like your team could be on the path to being equal to Bama.

I agree it will be a success but we will have to build on it and get even better next year. Right now we don't have any recruits in the Rivals top 100 while Clemson has 4 and likely will end up with 5...maybe even 7. Hate to be Debbie downer but the reality is we will never catch Clemson until we start recruiting like they do.
you saying we have to pony up the $$$$$$?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT