ADVERTISEMENT

recruiting top 10 players

LazyIslander

Aug 2, 2015
Lady's Island
So as the angst continues following XT's commitment to Clemson, I took a look at the other top ranked players in the 2018 class. It seems Clemson is solidly in the mix for 7 of the top 10 players. They have commitments from 2, and are leading with another. It would not be surprising for them to land 4-5 of the top 10 players in this recruiting period.
Carolina is/was in it with one, XT.

Reactions: JStoneTiger
So as the angst continues following XT's commitment to Clemson, I took a look at the other top ranked players in the 2018 class. It seems Clemson is solidly in the mix for 7 of the top 10 players. They have commitments from 2, and are leading with another. It would not be surprising for them to land 4-5 of the top 10 players in this recruiting period.

Hell, the following fits YOU as well (i.e. see my previous post - and search for it on your own; give you something to do other than B&M!!)...

depositphotos_12123039-stock-photo-aww-poor-little-cry-baby.jpg

how many players can clemson sign 20 -25. there are a helluva lot more great players out there than 20-25. we will get our share

We are in a tough spot in relation to Clemson at the moment. Our previous coach stopped recruiting 2-3 years before he left and our current coach is left with a tremendous rebuild. Meanwhile Clemson just won a national title and played in two straight. It's frustrating, but it's going to take time to get to their level. Good news is that I believe some of our best players last year were the guys Muschamp recruited. It may take some time for Muschamp to convince the 5-stars to come here, but if he evaluates well on 4-stars and high 3-stars then we can be a top 25 team in short order. After that, it becomes easier to land the 5-stars.

Other option is to take the low road and pay players to come here. We could turn things around quickly, but, given how we usually get treated, the NCAA will hammer us (unlike Clemson, Auburn, UNC).

The good news from this side is the top 10 recruits on signing day are never the same top 10 players drafted in the NFL.

Clemson does ring day at the spring game, we get a golden nugget dropped in our lap with a final 4 game the same day as our spring game, and what do we do move the time up and separate the 2 like morons vs, line it up, watch the spring game then watch the basketball game at the stadium that would of had a bunch more fans.

What would Clemson had done?

Will our football ops building be as good as theirs?

Ever watch them introduce their early signees on signing day, its room full or fans who applaud, a fun event, ours is the players and their family in front of media.

Its more then coaches, its the athletic department, ours is busy sending tweets to Clemson congratulating them for football, vs studying and trying to parlay every advantage we have or different ways to promote our program.

We are in a tough spot in relation to Clemson at the moment. Our previous coach stopped recruiting 2-3 years before he left and our current coach is left with a tremendous rebuild. Meanwhile Clemson just won a national title and played in two straight. It's frustrating, but it's going to take time to get to their level. Good news is that I believe some of our best players last year were the guys Muschamp recruited. It may take some time for Muschamp to convince the 5-stars to come here, but if he evaluates well on 4-stars and high 3-stars then we can be a top 25 team in short order. After that, it becomes easier to land the 5-stars.

Other option is to take the low road and pay players to come here. We could turn things around quickly, but, given how we usually get treated, the NCAA will hammer us (unlike Clemson, Auburn, UNC).

I agree with you! It's so important that Muschamp evaluates well and finds 3 and 4 stars he can develop into All Conference type players.

Can Muschamp get it done? I think so, but I'm not sure he'll get enough time or support from the school to finish it before they get tired of 7-8 win seasons.

I wouldn't worry too much about Clemson, yeah they'll get their wins but there isn't a Watson there anymore. You can't win big without a superstar QB. Clemson has always had more talent than most but they never had the superstar QB. Watson is gone and is basically not replaceable. I don't care who comes in with 5 star ratings, Watson was special in many ways.

We're going to sting Clemson sooner than most think, simply because every program struggles with young QBs, even Clemson will.

Last edited:
Reactions: lowcountrytiger

And yet their fans still deny they are buying kids, I guess its easier to put your head in the sand and claim ignorance. Regardless, without Watson they were a 3 loss team at best last year, they aren't likely to make the ACC chamionship game and could lose a couple more this coming season and the luster will wear off because there isn't anyone on campus who can do the things Watson did and there is anyone in their pipeline including Johnson who has bust written all over him or Lawerence who is a heck of a passer but not a good runner, and that is what made Watson tough to defend.

how many players can clemson sign 20 -25. there are a helluva lot more great players out there than 20-25. we will get our share

Well, I guess that beauty is in the eye of the beholder but I happened to look at the Rivals Top 250 (2017) and was shocked to see how many of them we did not offer. I'll be honest, in that, I didn't waste my time looking at the recruits west of the Mississippi. But what I did track was whether or not Alabama, Florida, Florida St, Georgia and Clemson offered those same Top 250.

Easy enough, go look for yourself. Sure, we offered a few ... a very few. But, either we are not reporting that we have offered or Rivals is not reporting that we have offered or the recruits do not know that we have offered.

If you don't ask her to dance, she ain't gonna say YES, and BUDDY, WE AIN'T EVEN ASKING!!! But those other Big Boys sure are.

Well, I guess that beauty is in the eye of the beholder but I happened to look at the Rivals Top 250 (2017) and was shocked to see how many of them we did not offer. I'll be honest, in that, I didn't waste my time looking at the recruits west of the Mississippi. But what I did track was whether or not Alabama, Florida, Florida St, Georgia and Clemson offered those same Top 250.

Easy enough, go look for yourself. Sure, we offered a few ... a very few. But, either we are not reporting that we have offered or Rivals is not reporting that we have offered or the recruits do not know that we have offered.

If you don't ask her to dance, she ain't gonna say YES, and BUDDY, WE AIN'T EVEN ASKING!!! But those other Big Boys sure are.
This is perfect. It seems our staff is ok with not even trying to land top notch talent. We aren't Alabama but we dang sure aint Navy or Boise. Hell, at least make an attempt.

Hell, the following fits YOU as well (i.e. see my previous post - and search for it on your own; give you something to do other than B&M!!)...

depositphotos_12123039-stock-photo-aww-poor-little-cry-baby.jpg

Find one post of mine where I bitched or moaned about anything. Far from it, I was just stating facts. Carolina is not in the same league as Clemson in recruiting. So it should come as no surprise when Clemson gets the one person the 2 schools are competing for. Carolina needs to focus on the things it can do to improve and quit worrying about what Clemson is doing. I suspect that is exactly what the coaches are doing. The fans however...

And yet their fans still deny they are buying kids, I guess its easier to put your head in the sand and claim ignorance. Regardless, without Watson they were a 3 loss team at best last year, they aren't likely to make the ACC chamionship game and could lose a couple more this coming season and the luster will wear off because there isn't anyone on campus who can do the things Watson did and there is anyone in their pipeline including Johnson who has bust written all over him or Lawerence who is a heck of a passer but not a good runner, and that is what made Watson tough to defend.

LOL.....so with Clemson signing all these "busts" y'all should really start closing the gap fast..........just need a few more Tlawrence's and XT's to fall our way and we'll be headed to 6 win seasons rather quickly.

So tired of hearing people saying Clemson is paying players, Clemson is cheating, blah blah blah. Is it so hard for you to see that Carolina competing against Clemson in football recruiting is EXACTLY like Clemson competing against Carolina in Women's Basketball recruiting? Is Dawn Staley paying players? No. and neither is Dabo. He doesn't have to, he has a NATIONAL FREAKING CHAMPIONSHIP. Don't you think that helps their recruiting a little?

Come on folks. Clemson figured out how to capitalize on recruiting, set up recruiting networks, and generally busted their butts in recruiting while our coaching staff was on the golf course. And now we are trying to play catch-up. I think we have the staff in place to make up the ground, but make no mistake, we are STILL trying to make up ground lost over the years. We totally missed our opportunity when we were winning 5 in a row against them. Instead of capitalizing on that, our staff just sat back on their accomplishments while Clemson continued to work recruits, and now both teams are reaping what they sow.

I agree with you! It's so important that Muschamp evaluates well and finds 3 and 4 stars he can develop into All Conference type players.

Can Muschamp get it done? I think so, but I'm not sure he'll get enough time or support from the school to finish it before they get tired of 7-8 win seasons.

I wouldn't worry too much about Clemson, yeah they'll get their wins but there isn't a Watson there anymore. You can't win big without a superstar QB. Clemson has always had more talent than most but they never had the superstar QB. Watson is gone and is basically not replaceable. I don't care who comes in with 5 star ratings, Watson was special in many ways.

We'll going to sting Clemson sooner than most think, simply because every program struggles with young QBs, even Clemson will.

Alabama would disagree

Hey...wait...i thought ..according to some on here..Boom has the state locked down..lol

I understand they just won the National Championship but they were recruiting well before they won that. I can't see what the draw is to Clemson. It's a hillbilly town in NW South Carolina with nothing to do. They play how many premier games a season? Florida State and who else? Who gets excited about playing the teams from Tobacco Road or playing Syracuse or BC? The game against us only matters to those of us who live in the state. Every now and then they step out of conference and play an Auburn or a Georgia but for the most part their games have absolutely nothing to get excited about.

I understand they just won the National Championship but they were recruiting well before they won that. I can't see what the draw is to Clemson. It's a hillbilly town in NW South Carolina with nothing to do. They play how many premier games a season? Florida State and who else? Who gets excited about playing the teams from Tobacco Road or playing Syracuse or BC? The game against us only matters to those of us who live in the state. Every now and then they step out of conference and play an Auburn or a Georgia but for the most part their games have absolutely nothing to get excited about.
Blind Homering 101.

Take away Deshaun Watson last year and they likely lose to Auburn, Louisville, NC State and FSU. At best they would have gone 9-3 with close wins over NC State, Auburn and Troy. It's quite possible they would have finished 8-4. That's not a joke....that's just what happens when you replace Deshaun Watson with a decent QB. Considering how poorly their QBs performed in the spring game, I wouldn't be surprised to see an 8-4 season this year. Deshaun Watson, love him or hate him, was a once in a generation talent. It wouldn't surprise me a bit if the the gap between our programs looks considerably smaller this fall.

The good news from this side is the top 10 recruits on signing day are never the same top 10 players drafted in the NFL.

Clemson does ring day at the spring game, we get a golden nugget dropped in our lap with a final 4 game the same day as our spring game, and what do we do move the time up and separate the 2 like morons vs, line it up, watch the spring game then watch the basketball game at the stadium that would of had a bunch more fans.

What would Clemson had done?

Will our football ops building be as good as theirs?

Ever watch them introduce their early signees on signing day, its room full or fans who applaud, a fun event, ours is the players and their family in front of media.

Its more then coaches, its the athletic department, ours is busy sending tweets to Clemson congratulating them for football, vs studying and trying to parlay every advantage we have or different ways to promote our program.
The signing day event is sponsored by the local Clemson Club and clears $50K each year for scholarships for kids from Pickens/Oconee Counties.

Take away Deshaun Watson last year and they likely lose to Auburn, Louisville, NC State and FSU. At best they would have gone 9-3 with close wins over NC State, Auburn and Troy. It's quite possible they would have finished 8-4. That's not a joke....that's just what happens when you replace Deshaun Watson with a decent QB. Considering how poorly their QBs performed in the spring game, I wouldn't be surprised to see an 8-4 season this year. Deshaun Watson, love him or hate him, was a once in a generation talent. It wouldn't surprise me a bit if the the gap between our programs looks considerably smaller this fall.

i agree you don't just replace a Deshaun, but it can be done different ways..........same was said 2 years ago about our defense and who we were losing, but yet here we are 2 years later about to have the best defense we've had in years at clemson............same was said about replacing nuk hopkins or sammy watkins........we just plug in mike williams or deon cain...........or soon to be tee higgins.........same was said about auburn after newton, but they did went to the NC game with nick marhsall........we were beating the UGAs and LSUs with tajh boyd, we have AT LEAST a "tajh boyd" at QB for this year and Lord knows we have more than a cole stoudt............you can downplay these 4-5star guys all you'd like, but to act like we're gonna all of a sudden drop to a 6 win season (barring some massive injuries) is ignorant on your part.

The best players generally go to the best teams in college ball. It has always been that way. Lather rinse repeat. And now they've added the playoff which will only make that truer than ever.

And yet their fans still deny they are buying kids, I guess its easier to put your head in the sand and claim ignorance. Regardless, without Watson they were a 3 loss team at best last year, they aren't likely to dddls @ ďx make the ACC chamionship game and could lose a couple more this coming season and the luster will wear off because there isn't anyone on campus who can do the things Watson did and there is anyone in their pipeline including Johnson who has bust written all over him or Lawerence who is a heck of a passer but not a good runner, and that is what made Watson tough to defend.

Well there ya go! Now y'all see why GrumpyOldDawg is one UGA fan that you can pretty much ALWAYS agree with!!

I hear ya Grump!!

Anna_Nimmitty
a/k/a: Gaimcock

i agree you don't just replace a Deshaun, but it can be done different ways..........same was said 2 years ago about our defense and who we were losing, but yet here we are 2 years later about to have the best defense we've had in years at clemson............same was said about replacing nuk hopkins or sammy watkins........we just plug in mike williams or deon cain...........or soon to be tee higgins.........same was said about auburn after newton, but they did went to the NC game with nick marhsall........we were beating the UGAs and LSUs with tajh boyd, we have AT LEAST a "tajh boyd" at QB for this year and Lord knows we have more than a cole stoudt............you can downplay these 4-5star guys all you'd like, but to act like we're gonna all of a sudden drop to a 6 win season (barring some massive injuries) is ignorant on your part.
Bro, just being honest, you very easily could've been 8-4 this year. You lost the player who prevented that from happening. It is delusional to think their won't be a fall off this season. Second, you guys keep saying how great your defense is going to be. I never thought your defense was that great last season and you're losing a lot from it. Do not be surprised if you start the season off 3-2.

Bro, just being honest, you very easily could've been 8-4 this year. You lost the player who prevented that from happening. It is delusional to think their won't be a fall off this season. Second, you guys keep saying how great your defense is going to be. I never thought your defense was that great last season and you're losing a lot from it. Do not be surprised if you start the season off 3-2.

never said there wouldn't be a drop off.........what i'm saying is we've won 10+ games every year since 2011 regardless of QB. What i'm saying is don't act like we're just going to fall off to 6-6 just b/c watson's not there.......will we win the National title?.......Nope, but we won 10 with cole stoudt & tajh boyd at QB...........and i could go through just about every team in the country last year and say "they woulda lost so&so games" if it wasn't for _______.

we haven't had a drop off in recruiting like y'all had after Spurrier landed his 2-3 "dream" classes then quit recruiting........lack of recruiting is what has you guys in the spot you're in now

never said there wouldn't be a drop off.........what i'm saying is we've won 10+ games every year since 2011 regardless of QB. What i'm saying is don't act like we're just going to fall off to 6-6 just b/c watson's not there.......will we win the National title?.......Nope, but we won 10 with cole stoudt & tajh boyd at QB...........and i could go through just about every team in the country last year and say "they woulda lost so&so games" if it wasn't for _______.

we haven't had a drop off in recruiting like y'all had after Spurrier landed his 2-3 "dream" classes then quit recruiting........lack of recruiting is what has you guys in the spot you're in now
Whoever said you guys would be 6-6 is an idiot. But its important to note that during those 10 win seasons your 2 losses came from the only competition on your schedule... us and fsu. The ACC was horrible for 7 of Dabos 8 seasons. 10 wins were built in to the schedule. But regardless, im telling you, unless a qb can step up, Clemson can have a rough Sept.

I can't help but respect that blatant honestly there.

ugh.... Didn't we shut out a team in the playoffs last year? If that doesn't impress you (which it should, because I doubt that will happen for many more years to come), didn't we hold yall to seven points last year (and two or three first downs in the entire first half)? I'll be the first to say, there may be a drop off in productivity on our offense this year but our defense should be rolling once again. I don't mean to rub salt in a wound at all but saying that we didn't have a great defense last year might be pretty delusional

Whoever said you guys would be 6-6 is an idiot. But its important to note that during those 10 win seasons your 2 losses came from the only competition on your schedule... us and fsu. The ACC was horrible for 7 of Dabos 8 seasons. 10 wins were built in to the schedule. But regardless, im telling you, unless a qb can step up, Clemson can have a rough Sept.

If any team has a QB that doesn't step up they're in for a long year, but that's all assumptions right now...........you said our first 5 games could end 3-2, and they could, one of those losses being auburn now that they have a QB........louisville could beat us, but jackson loses his entire supporting cast and lots on defense, you also saw his composure down the stretch last year.........VT loses it's QB, RB, and best WR just like us........but we've recruited better than them so we shall see............I'm not saying we won't be 3-2, but i'm also not sold that we can't be 4-1 or 5-0 after september like a lot of you.

Reactions: ru4god2 and carobok
Alabama would disagree
In what way?

It used to be Alabama didn't need a superstar QB because their defense won games. Now with the spread you have to score points and you need a really good QB to do so, one that can beat your with his head, his arm and his legs.

I think the days are long gone that any team will win a National Championship without a superstar qb.

Reactions: ru4god2
We're not catching up. We are falling farther behind. Sounds like we are half assing the new football building too vs our competition. Seems to be the garnet way. In the year 2057, I wonder if anything will have changed.

I disagree with this. When it comes to recruiting, there is a ceiling. You can't do better than the best players. And you can't get them all. Alabama has been recruiting at their ceiling for several years, and the results are apparent. Right now Clemson has hit their recruiting ceiling. But everyone has the same number of scholarships. And if the SC coaches are improving the team with their recruiting (which I believe they are), then they are not falling farther behind. There's still a gap, but they are gaining.

I disagree with this. When it comes to recruiting, there is a ceiling. You can't do better than the best players. And you can't get them all. Alabama has been recruiting at their ceiling for several years, and the results are apparent. Right now Clemson has hit their recruiting ceiling. But everyone has the same number of scholarships. And if the SC coaches are improving the team with their recruiting (which I believe they are), then they are not falling farther behind. There's still a gap, but they are gaining.

In theory i see a little of what you're saying and it is difficult to widen a 56-7 gap, but recruiting is also a culmination of 4-5 years.........and next year we (clemson) will field more 5star players than we ever have in the past (most of those soph & freshman) while also setting up our 2018 class to be the best class Clemson's landed. So i don't agree with your ceiling comment...........Now due to the youth of these 5stars in key position the likelihood of making another playoff run is slim, but it just sets us up in 2018 to be in the playoff contender picture again......Also note that the previous years while we were recruiting well, it was mostly at the skill positions............NOW it's the skill positions AND the trenches which is how we've made our run the last 2 years.

Rivals currently has 20 players listed as 2018 5 star prospects. Are we going after them? Are Bama, Clemson, UF, FSU or Ga going after any of them? Let's see:

#1 QB from Ga. All (Bama, Clemson,UF, FSU,Ga) have offered. No offer from Carolina
#2 DB from Fla. All have offered. No offer from Carolina.
#3 DE from SC. All have offered including Carolina.
#4 OL from Ohio. All have offered. No offer from Carolina.
#5 DE from Pa. No offer from Carolina, .
#8 QB from California. No offer from Carolina
#10 DB from Fla. All have offered. No offer from Carolina.
#11 OL from TN. No offer from Carolina.
#12 WR from California. No offer from Carolina.
#13 RB from Fla. No offer from Carolina.
#19 WR from Al. All have offered. No offer from Carolina.
#20 DB from Tx. No offer from Carolina.

We did not offer 55% of the 5 star players.
Bama offered 90% of the 5 star players
Clemson offered 75% of the 5 star players * 83+%
Florida offered 80% of the 5 star players
Florida St offered 90% of the 5 star players.
Georgia offered 90% of the 5 star players
and Carolina offered 45% of the 5 star players
* (2 players not offered by Clemson were QBs, Clemson already has 2, 5 star QBs)

Recruiting is a 2 way street, meaning there needs to be genuine interest from both sides. Are some of you suggesting that our staff spend time offering and recruiting kids that aren't interested in attending our University? And the staff should blindly throw out scholarship offers based on rankings? That's like throwing sh#t against the wall to see what sticks. The number of offers must be managed, so there's time to build relationships with kids that we have the best chance of landing.

Up the damn budget. Tired of crap performances on the football field while our neighbor wins national championships. This is a problem that spans decades in this athletic department. Nothing changes.

Not excusing it but you also have to spend your budgeted $ and time w recruits where you have a chance or an in road to them.

Rivals currently has 20 players listed as 2018 5 star prospects. Are we going after them? Are Bama, Clemson, UF, FSU or Ga going after any of them? Let's see:

#1 QB from Ga. All (Bama, Clemson,UF, FSU,Ga) have offered. No offer from Carolina
#2 DB from Fla. All have offered. No offer from Carolina.
#3 DE from SC. All have offered including Carolina.
#4 OL from Ohio. All have offered. No offer from Carolina.
#5 DE from Pa. No offer from Carolina, .
#8 QB from California. No offer from Carolina
#10 DB from Fla. All have offered. No offer from Carolina.
#11 OL from TN. No offer from Carolina.
#12 WR from California. No offer from Carolina.
#13 RB from Fla. No offer from Carolina.
#19 WR from Al. All have offered. No offer from Carolina.
#20 DB from Tx. No offer from Carolina.

We did not offer 55% of the 5 star players.
Bama offered 90% of the 5 star players
Clemson offered 75% of the 5 star players * 83+%
Florida offered 80% of the 5 star players
Florida St offered 90% of the 5 star players.
Georgia offered 90% of the 5 star players
and Carolina offered 45% of the 5 star players
* (2 players not offered by Clemson were QBs, Clemson already has 2, 5 star QBs)
Thanks for the research but you have to ask yourself the obvious question, 'Why wouldnt we" go after them? The answer is we would but as fans we dont know the underlying reasons and have no idea after we reached out to them what their level of interest is/was.

Nothing should be "too expensive" as far as recruiting is concerned. With as much money as we make off of football, we should be spending as much as anyone in the nation.

Reactions: joplin gamecock1
Don't know the story, but just because there is no offer doesn't mean there was no contact. Some may simply say there is no interest.

Also, honestly kids at this level should have been contacted 1st year in HS...or sooner. If they haven't been contacted by your school prior to Muschamp's arrival...it was too late anyway...

JMO.

This response was from another thread, but fits here too...

Recruiting is a 2 way street, meaning there needs to be genuine interest from both sides. Are some of you suggesting that our staff spend time offering and recruiting kids that aren't interested in attending our University? And the staff should blindly throw out scholarship offers based on rankings? That's like throwing sh#t against the wall to see what sticks. The number of offers must be managed, so there's time to build relationships with kids that we have the best chance of landing.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT