recruiting top 10 players

Discussion in 'Fighting Gamecocks Forum' started by LazyIslander, Apr 11, 2017.

1. funktavious

funktavious Well-Known Member
    Expand Collapse

Find something wrong with what I said?

2. 85alum#

85alum# Well-Known Member
    Expand Collapse

They were WINNING well before that too. BCS Bowls, conference championships, lots of 10 win seasons. They've had a lot of football success that has now reached the top. Winning is a very attractive thing to offer a recruit. And in some cases, the "Nothing to do" is attractive to parents wanting to be sure their child stays out of trouble. Premier games? Just enough to keep them in the national conversation. It's time we stopped looking for excuses as to why Clemson wins and focus on our own program and what we can do to win.

3. jimnasium

jimnasium Well-Known Member
    Expand Collapse

There's not a 5* within a 1000 miles who has not from USC. You have to test the waters and see if you have a legit shot at him from what his high school coach says to what the prospect says. We can't spend too much time and $$ on chasing 5* rainbows if there's no mutual ground. Coach Boom and his guys are doing just fine.

Justinlynn0043 and BigTomE like this.
  4. BigTomE

BigTomE Active Member
    Gold Member
    Expand Collapse

Bingo.

5. gamecockjosh

gamecockjosh Member
    Expand Collapse

Are we limited in the number of positions that can recruit players? This is a serious question. If we have limited resources, it makes some sense that we would focus on the players we really have a legitimate shot of landing. However if we aren't limited in our resources, then we should make every effort and spend every dollar (internally as an athletic deparment....hiring recruiting positions) to pursue every 5 star out there.

6. cockydev

cockydev Active Member
    Expand Collapse

Are we limited by how many offers we can make? It would seem like badgering and offering the top 10 each year is a no brainer - regardless if it's a position of need or not.

How much time does a phone call take? How long does a tweet take?

How many coaches do we have on staff to share that effort?

Take the Rivals 250. Divide that by 8 coaches. Each coach gets 32 players. Divide that by 6 days in a work week. That's contacting 5 players a day.

Sales takes persistence. Boom is still in the honeymoon phase of coaching here - and rightfully so given how bad Spurrier left things.

7. NooNoo

NooNoo Active Member
    Expand Collapse

Hell, we can't even win the east when it is awful. The football program has been mismanaged since 2012-13.

lowcountrytiger likes this.
  8. jimnasium

Expand Collapse

I think the limited resource thing is a myth if we felt we had a shot at a player then the money would be spent to get that player. Recruiting is a science you can't cast your pearls to the swine and lose out on a guy who wants to be a Gamecock. Can't see our program turning down any 5* who really showed interest anyway.

9. cockydev

cockydev Active Member
    Expand Collapse

In regards to your last sentence, I suggest avoiding the Chubb and Raekwon McMillan articles.

10. jimnasium

Expand Collapse

How do we know the phone calls are not being made? That's part of sifting through the prospects and the suspects.

BigTomE likes this.
  11. jimnasium

Expand Collapse

Did they actually say they wanted to come here?

12. cockydev

cockydev Active Member
    Expand Collapse

Well, they actually came to visit the campus. Pretty sure that's step 1 in getting a recruit to commit.

Cockopotamus likes this.
  13. jimnasium

Expand Collapse

So did XT. If they wanted to come and we gave them the cold shoulder that is why that staff is not here anymore.

14. BigTomE

BigTomE Active Member
    Gold Member
    Expand Collapse

The relationships should've already been made by the time a recruit is ranked in any top rankings list. If a recruit doesn't even want to camp at a University as an underclassmen, then that's a pretty good indicator that there's zero interest. The coaches want to see these kids in camp early and with other players, so they can start the relationship building process early. 5 star and highly ranked 4 stars require much more contact than just 1 day per week.
    I'm not sure the number of coaches allowed to recruit or the number of people allowed in the recruiting department, but yes it is limited per NCAA rules.

15. funktavious

funktavious Well-Known Member
    Expand Collapse

They were recruiting well even when we were beating them. I don't think Spurrier ever had a class that ranked higher than Clemson's class. I know winning is attractive but they were recruiting well before the BCS Bowls. Again, what was the attraction to Clemson before they started winning?

USCLaw85 and lowcountrytiger like this.
  16. jimnasium

Expand Collapse

That's right. Coaches use these camps to study the person not just the prospect.

17. Goldhunter

Goldhunter Member
    Expand Collapse

Good Lord some of y'all are nuts, it cost too much money, takes too much time, they probably say no anyway. It doesn't cost squat to offer a kid and see if they show interest. How many 5* has Clemson been turned down by and how many have they got. You don't get any that you don't offer. Don't give me this trust the coaches crap, trust Satan and dablo that's the coaches you should trust and that fool at fsu. If they are good enough to play for them they're damn sure good enough to get a frickin offer from us.

LazyIslander, NooNoo and rogue cock like this.
  18. E-Cut_22

E-Cut_22 Member
    Expand Collapse

What came first, the 5 star athlete or a national championship?

19. bosoxcock

bosoxcock Well-Known Member
    Expand Collapse

Lets do some research.. Ala. has won 4 of last 8 championships and was in it last year.. they had no star QB.. more teams win championship without star QB than with..see Alabama.......there's only a few Watson's or Newton's

Also the poster said "You can't win big without a superstar QB

you can win big and not win the national championship

20. yuthgi

yuthgi New Member
    Expand Collapse

Well what will be the reason any player wants to play at South Carolina NOW? You are asking the same question of Clemson then, that you must ask of Carolina now.

21. Goldhunter

Goldhunter Member
    Expand Collapse

5* of course they have been offering like crazy and selling what they have to sell missed on a bunch and landed some. In other words trying their ass off and so should we.

NooNoo and rogue cock like this.
  22. wallycock

wallycock Well-Known Member
    Expand Collapse

5-star recruits ... great idea ... I think you should call CWM and offer that suggestion. I bet he has never thought of that.

BigTomE and idohvac2 like this.
  23. danny_dristor

danny_dristor Member
    Expand Collapse

Recruit them and they will come...not

24. Grumpyolddawg

Grumpyolddawg Member
    Expand Collapse

Neither of those guys were going anywhere other than where they signed. McMillian for whatever reason fell in love with tOSU and Chubb was always coming to UGA. I don't know much about McMillian's recruitment, just he never showed much interest in anyone other than tOSU, Chubb on the other hand was paying a courtsey visit because USC had recruited him so hard and then SOS wasn't in town. Any article that tells you different about either has some incorrect information.

25. Grumpyolddawg

Grumpyolddawg Member
    Expand Collapse

I am pretty sure there is no limit to the number of offers you can give, but I think there is a line you can cross that's too many. You throw out offers to all 5*, all 6.0 and 5.9 4* and fail to land very many if any of them. Does that make the 5.8 4* feel like an afterhought?

There is a limit to the number of official visits you can hand out, not sure the exact number, but there is no limit to unofficial visitors you can host, the trick is getting them to come on their own dime.

26. Goldhunter

Goldhunter Member
    Expand Collapse

The trick is to offer them and see who comes this is why the taters make fun of us and I'm tired of it.

27. psycock

psycock Well-Known Member
    Expand Collapse

Don`t we have more money than they do, since we get all that SEC Money? I would offer every single last one of them. If you got one of them it would be worth it. It wasn`t very long ago we beat them 5 years in a row. Surely there are some kids out there that remember that.

28. BigTomE

BigTomE Active Member
    Gold Member
    Expand Collapse

Using your logic, then why doesn't each 5 star recruit have an offer from every school in the country? I guess every head coach across the country is nuts?

29. BigTomE

BigTomE Active Member
    Gold Member
    Expand Collapse

If our staff spends their time recruiting 5 star recruits that have zero interest in us, then who will recruit the 3 and 4 star players we'll need to sign when the 5 star guy says no?

30. JSpears5

JSpears5 Active Member
    Gold Member
    Expand Collapse

5th win came in 2013 and the next class is 2018. That means that these kids were what 13 when that game happened. Recruiting is a what have you done for me lately game.

There was a DB a few years ago that signed with Clemson that was offered because they offered the top ten in every position just to see if they could get any interest. They assigned a GA to it. Story stuck with me because you never know until you ask

31. Grumpyolddawg

Grumpyolddawg Member
    Expand Collapse

'
    I suspect just about every staff checks on the high 4 and 5* kids to see if there is any interest in coming to their school, why wouldn't they? Once there is some determination of interest or lack of on the kids part either the kid gets an offer or the staff moves on. There is no point in wasting time and resources on a kid you have zero chance of signing. Now I don't now how the coaches determine if there is legit interest or not, I guess that's why they are making the big bucks. I know we get listed in the final 3, 5 or whatever the final group number is when they have their announcement and many of them we haven't been in contact with for months.

BigTomE likes this.
  32. Goldhunter

Goldhunter Member
    Expand Collapse

They have offers from most of the good teams look at their list.

33. Goldhunter

Goldhunter Member
    Expand Collapse

It doesn't take long to offer and how do you know they will say no until you offer?

34. Goldhunter

Goldhunter Member
    Expand Collapse

Doesn't cost a dime to offer. All I'm saying is offer hell Virginia got a 5* a couple years ago.

35. chickenshade

chickenshade New Member
    Expand Collapse

What is it with all the what if's? Cocks need to worry about that defense this fall. Non existent in the spring game.

36. OzWizard

OzWizard Member
    Expand Collapse

I don't think it is good practice to just throw offers to every 5*. Sends a message that you're desperate, or aren't committed to the recruitment process. If you really want a player, then you have to recruit them, wine and dine them because that is what they want. The other programs you mentioned are recruiting off of recent success or have significant program history. You can't just walk in and compete with them.

You can't just toss them an offer and say "call me" along with 20-30 other offers. Not to mention, you will scare off the recruits with genuine interest because their offer could potentially be given to one of the top 10-15 recruits that were offered. They won't feel special because offers were giving to everyone. Additionally, there HAS to be some interest from the player and a need in that position as well or you are just wasting time. Chances are SC reached out to them and they were not interested. And honestly why would a top recruit who can play anywhere in the country want to come to a place that has been struggling. That being said, I think you have to extend offers to the in-state 5*s, regardless of their interest level. SC was on the right track to build upon the success of Clowney and Lattimore, but unfortunately, Spurrier failed miserably.

37. cockymark

cockymark Member
    Expand Collapse

Here is the deal you cant win in the sec with three star players. there is a reason teams like vandy and ky never win the sec! and usc as well the teams with the best players win pure and simple until we start getting better players it will stay the same.

38. NooNoo

NooNoo Active Member
    Expand Collapse

This.

39. idohvac2

idohvac2 Member
    Expand Collapse

Lawrence runs like a damn gazelle and has a rocket arm and is already 6'5+
    I wouldn't hinge my hopes that he will not be a good one at Clemson

40. SCsandlapper

SCsandlapper Member
    Expand Collapse

WInning 10+ games a year for many years, beating Ohio St and Oklahoma twice, LSU, 1-1 against Saban in NC games will boost your stock. They're starting to reap the rewards and until WE do something about it, nothing is going to change. The acc has just won the natty in football, basketball, and a year removed in baseball and they will protect their institutions, so we are the best opportunity to change the stuff in pickens county. Muschamp has 1-2 more years to do something and if not, hire Urban Myer, Saban, Belechek, or someone like that.

lowcountrytiger and IkeWild33 like this.