ADVERTISEMENT

recruiting top 10 players

I understand they just won the National Championship but they were recruiting well before they won that. I can't see what the draw is to Clemson. It's a hillbilly town in NW South Carolina with nothing to do. They play how many premier games a season? Florida State and who else? Who gets excited about playing the teams from Tobacco Road or playing Syracuse or BC? The game against us only matters to those of us who live in the state. Every now and then they step out of conference and play an Auburn or a Georgia but for the most part their games have absolutely nothing to get excited about.
They were WINNING well before that too. BCS Bowls, conference championships, lots of 10 win seasons. They've had a lot of football success that has now reached the top. Winning is a very attractive thing to offer a recruit. And in some cases, the "Nothing to do" is attractive to parents wanting to be sure their child stays out of trouble. Premier games? Just enough to keep them in the national conversation. It's time we stopped looking for excuses as to why Clemson wins and focus on our own program and what we can do to win.

There's not a 5* within a 1000 miles who has not from USC. You have to test the waters and see if you have a legit shot at him from what his high school coach says to what the prospect says. We can't spend too much time and $$ on chasing 5* rainbows if there's no mutual ground. Coach Boom and his guys are doing just fine.

There's not a 5* within a 1000 miles who has not from USC. You have to test the waters and see if you have a legit shot at him from what his high school coach says to what the prospect says. We can't spend too much time and $$ on chasing 5* rainbows if there's no mutual ground. Coach Boom and his guys are doing just fine.

Bingo.

Are we limited in the number of positions that can recruit players? This is a serious question. If we have limited resources, it makes some sense that we would focus on the players we really have a legitimate shot of landing. However if we aren't limited in our resources, then we should make every effort and spend every dollar (internally as an athletic deparment....hiring recruiting positions) to pursue every 5 star out there.

This response was from another thread, but fits here too...

Recruiting is a 2 way street, meaning there needs to be genuine interest from both sides. Are some of you suggesting that our staff spend time offering and recruiting kids that aren't interested in attending our University? And the staff should blindly throw out scholarship offers based on rankings? That's like throwing sh#t against the wall to see what sticks. The number of offers must be managed, so there's time to build relationships with kids that we have the best chance of landing.

Are we limited by how many offers we can make? It would seem like badgering and offering the top 10 each year is a no brainer - regardless if it's a position of need or not.

How much time does a phone call take? How long does a tweet take?

How many coaches do we have on staff to share that effort?

Take the Rivals 250. Divide that by 8 coaches. Each coach gets 32 players. Divide that by 6 days in a work week. That's contacting 5 players a day.

Sales takes persistence. Boom is still in the honeymoon phase of coaching here - and rightfully so given how bad Spurrier left things.

Are we limited in the number of positions that can recruit players? This is a serious question. If we have limited resources, it makes some sense that we would focus on the players we really have a legitimate shot of landing. However if we aren't limited in our resources, then we should make every effort and spend every dollar (internally as an athletic deparment....hiring recruiting positions) to pursue every 5 star out there.
I think the limited resource thing is a myth if we felt we had a shot at a player then the money would be spent to get that player. Recruiting is a science you can't cast your pearls to the swine and lose out on a guy who wants to be a Gamecock. Can't see our program turning down any 5* who really showed interest anyway.

I think the limited resource thing is a myth if we felt we had a shot at a player then the money would be spent to get that player. Recruiting is a science you can't cast your pearls to the swine and lose out on a guy who wants to be a Gamecock. Can't see our program turning down any 5* who really showed interest anyway.

In regards to your last sentence, I suggest avoiding the Chubb and Raekwon McMillan articles.

Are we limited by how many offers we can make? It would seem like badgering and offering the top 10 each year is a no brainer - regardless if it's a position of need or not.

Take the Rivals 250. Divide that by 8 coaches. Each coach gets 32 players. Divide that by 6 days in a work week. That's contacting 5 players a day.

Sales takes persistence. Boom is still in the honeymoon phase of coaching here - and rightfully so given how bad Spurrier left things.
How do we know the phone calls are not being made? That's part of sifting through the prospects and the suspects.

Reactions: BigTomE

The relationships should've already been made by the time a recruit is ranked in any top rankings list. If a recruit doesn't even want to camp at a University as an underclassmen, then that's a pretty good indicator that there's zero interest. The coaches want to see these kids in camp early and with other players, so they can start the relationship building process early. 5 star and highly ranked 4 stars require much more contact than just 1 day per week.
I'm not sure the number of coaches allowed to recruit or the number of people allowed in the recruiting department, but yes it is limited per NCAA rules.

They were WINNING well before that too. BCS Bowls, conference championships, lots of 10 win seasons. They've had a lot of football success that has now reached the top. Winning is a very attractive thing to offer a recruit. And in some cases, the "Nothing to do" is attractive to parents wanting to be sure their child stays out of trouble. Premier games? Just enough to keep them in the national conversation. It's time we stopped looking for excuses as to why Clemson wins and focus on our own program and what we can do to win.
They were recruiting well even when we were beating them. I don't think Spurrier ever had a class that ranked higher than Clemson's class. I know winning is attractive but they were recruiting well before the BCS Bowls. Again, what was the attraction to Clemson before they started winning?

The relationships should've already been made by the time a recruit is ranked in any top rankings list. If a recruit doesn't even want to camp at a University as an underclassmen, then that's a pretty good indicator that there's zero interest. The coaches want to see these kids in camp early and with other players, so they can start the relationship building process early. 5 star and highly ranked 4 stars require much more contact than just 1 day per week.
I'm not sure the number of coaches allowed to recruit or the number of people allowed in the recruiting department, but yes it is limited per NCAA rules.
That's right. Coaches use these camps to study the person not just the prospect.

Good Lord some of y'all are nuts, it cost too much money, takes too much time, they probably say no anyway. It doesn't cost squat to offer a kid and see if they show interest. How many 5* has Clemson been turned down by and how many have they got. You don't get any that you don't offer. Don't give me this trust the coaches crap, trust Satan and dablo that's the coaches you should trust and that fool at fsu. If they are good enough to play for them they're damn sure good enough to get a frickin offer from us.

In what way?

It used to be Alabama didn't need a superstar QB because their defense won games. Now with the spread you have to score points and you need a really good QB to do so, one that can beat your with his head, his arm and his legs.

I think the days are long gone that any team will win a National Championship without a superstar qb.

Lets do some research.. Ala. has won 4 of last 8 championships and was in it last year.. they had no star QB.. more teams win championship without star QB than with..see Alabama.......there's only a few Watson's or Newton's

Also the poster said "You can't win big without a superstar QB

you can win big and not win the national championship

They were recruiting well even when we were beating them. I don't think Spurrier ever had a class that ranked higher than Clemson's class. I know winning is attractive but they were recruiting well before the BCS Bowls. Again, what was the attraction to Clemson before they started winning?
Well what will be the reason any player wants to play at South Carolina NOW? You are asking the same question of Clemson then, that you must ask of Carolina now.

5-star recruits ... great idea ... I think you should call CWM and offer that suggestion. I bet he has never thought of that.

Rivals currently has 20 players listed as 2018 5 star prospects. Are we going after them? Are Bama, Clemson, UF, FSU or Ga going after any of them? Let's see:

#1 QB from Ga. All (Bama, Clemson,UF, FSU,Ga) have offered. No offer from Carolina
#2 DB from Fla. All have offered. No offer from Carolina.
#3 DE from SC. All have offered including Carolina.
#4 OL from Ohio. All have offered. No offer from Carolina.
#5 DE from Pa. No offer from Carolina, .
#8 QB from California. No offer from Carolina
#10 DB from Fla. All have offered. No offer from Carolina.
#11 OL from TN. No offer from Carolina.
#12 WR from California. No offer from Carolina.
#13 RB from Fla. No offer from Carolina.
#19 WR from Al. All have offered. No offer from Carolina.
#20 DB from Tx. No offer from Carolina.

We did not offer 55% of the 5 star players.
Bama offered 90% of the 5 star players
Clemson offered 75% of the 5 star players * 83+%
Florida offered 80% of the 5 star players
Florida St offered 90% of the 5 star players.
Georgia offered 90% of the 5 star players
and Carolina offered 45% of the 5 star players
* (2 players not offered by Clemson were QBs, Clemson already has 2, 5 star QBs)

In regards to your last sentence, I suggest avoiding the Chubb and Raekwon McMillan articles.

Neither of those guys were going anywhere other than where they signed. McMillian for whatever reason fell in love with tOSU and Chubb was always coming to UGA. I don't know much about McMillian's recruitment, just he never showed much interest in anyone other than tOSU, Chubb on the other hand was paying a courtsey visit because USC had recruited him so hard and then SOS wasn't in town. Any article that tells you different about either has some incorrect information.

I am pretty sure there is no limit to the number of offers you can give, but I think there is a line you can cross that's too many. You throw out offers to all 5*, all 6.0 and 5.9 4* and fail to land very many if any of them. Does that make the 5.8 4* feel like an afterhought?

There is a limit to the number of official visits you can hand out, not sure the exact number, but there is no limit to unofficial visitors you can host, the trick is getting them to come on their own dime.

I am pretty sure there is no limit to the number of offers you can give, but I think there is a line you can cross that's too many. You throw out offers to all 5*, all 6.0 and 5.9 4* and fail to land very many if any of them. Does that make the 5.8 4* feel like an afterhought?

There is a limit to the number of official visits you can hand out, not sure the exact number, but there is no limit to unofficial visitors you can host, the trick is getting them to come on their own dime.
The trick is to offer them and see who comes this is why the taters make fun of us and I'm tired of it.

Don`t we have more money than they do, since we get all that SEC Money? I would offer every single last one of them. If you got one of them it would be worth it. It wasn`t very long ago we beat them 5 years in a row. Surely there are some kids out there that remember that.

Good Lord some of y'all are nuts, it cost too much money, takes too much time, they probably say no anyway. It doesn't cost squat to offer a kid and see if they show interest. How many 5* has Clemson been turned down by and how many have they got. You don't get any that you don't offer. Don't give me this trust the coaches crap, trust Satan and dablo that's the coaches you should trust and that fool at fsu. If they are good enough to play for them they're damn sure good enough to get a frickin offer from us.

Using your logic, then why doesn't each 5 star recruit have an offer from every school in the country? I guess every head coach across the country is nuts?

5* of course they have been offering like crazy and selling what they have to sell missed on a bunch and landed some. In other words trying their ass off and so should we.

If our staff spends their time recruiting 5 star recruits that have zero interest in us, then who will recruit the 3 and 4 star players we'll need to sign when the 5 star guy says no?

Don`t we have more money than they do, since we get all that SEC Money? I would offer every single last one of them. If you got one of them it would be worth it. It wasn`t very long ago we beat them 5 years in a row. Surely there are some kids out there that remember that.

5th win came in 2013 and the next class is 2018. That means that these kids were what 13 when that game happened. Recruiting is a what have you done for me lately game.

There was a DB a few years ago that signed with Clemson that was offered because they offered the top ten in every position just to see if they could get any interest. They assigned a GA to it. Story stuck with me because you never know until you ask

The trick is to offer them and see who comes this is why the taters make fun of us and I'm tired of it.
'
I suspect just about every staff checks on the high 4 and 5* kids to see if there is any interest in coming to their school, why wouldn't they? Once there is some determination of interest or lack of on the kids part either the kid gets an offer or the staff moves on. There is no point in wasting time and resources on a kid you have zero chance of signing. Now I don't now how the coaches determine if there is legit interest or not, I guess that's why they are making the big bucks. I know we get listed in the final 3, 5 or whatever the final group number is when they have their announcement and many of them we haven't been in contact with for months.

Reactions: BigTomE
Using your logic, then why doesn't each 5 star recruit have an offer from every school in the country? I guess every head coach across the country is nuts?
They have offers from most of the good teams look at their list.

If our staff spends their time recruiting 5 star recruits that have zero interest in us, then who will recruit the 3 and 4 star players we'll need to sign when the 5 star guy says no?
It doesn't take long to offer and how do you know they will say no until you offer?

'
I suspect just about every staff checks on the high 4 and 5* kids to see if there is any interest in coming to their school, why wouldn't they? Once there is some determination of interest or lack of on the kids part either the kid gets an offer or the staff moves on. There is no point in wasting time and resources on a kid you have zero chance of signing. Now I don't now how the coaches determine if there is legit interest or not, I guess that's why they are making the big bucks. I know we get listed in the final 3, 5 or whatever the final group number is when they have their announcement and many of them we haven't been in contact with for months.
Doesn't cost a dime to offer. All I'm saying is offer hell Virginia got a 5* a couple years ago.

Rivals currently has 20 players listed as 2018 5 star prospects. Are we going after them? Are Bama, Clemson, UF, FSU or Ga going after any of them? Let's see:

#1 QB from Ga. All (Bama, Clemson,UF, FSU,Ga) have offered. No offer from Carolina
#2 DB from Fla. All have offered. No offer from Carolina.
#3 DE from SC. All have offered including Carolina.
#4 OL from Ohio. All have offered. No offer from Carolina.
#5 DE from Pa. No offer from Carolina, .
#8 QB from California. No offer from Carolina
#10 DB from Fla. All have offered. No offer from Carolina.
#11 OL from TN. No offer from Carolina.
#12 WR from California. No offer from Carolina.
#13 RB from Fla. No offer from Carolina.
#19 WR from Al. All have offered. No offer from Carolina.
#20 DB from Tx. No offer from Carolina.

We did not offer 55% of the 5 star players.
Bama offered 90% of the 5 star players
Clemson offered 75% of the 5 star players * 83+%
Florida offered 80% of the 5 star players
Florida St offered 90% of the 5 star players.
Georgia offered 90% of the 5 star players
and Carolina offered 45% of the 5 star players
* (2 players not offered by Clemson were QBs, Clemson already has 2, 5 star QBs)

I don't think it is good practice to just throw offers to every 5*. Sends a message that you're desperate, or aren't committed to the recruitment process. If you really want a player, then you have to recruit them, wine and dine them because that is what they want. The other programs you mentioned are recruiting off of recent success or have significant program history. You can't just walk in and compete with them.

You can't just toss them an offer and say "call me" along with 20-30 other offers. Not to mention, you will scare off the recruits with genuine interest because their offer could potentially be given to one of the top 10-15 recruits that were offered. They won't feel special because offers were giving to everyone. Additionally, there HAS to be some interest from the player and a need in that position as well or you are just wasting time. Chances are SC reached out to them and they were not interested. And honestly why would a top recruit who can play anywhere in the country want to come to a place that has been struggling. That being said, I think you have to extend offers to the in-state 5*s, regardless of their interest level. SC was on the right track to build upon the success of Clowney and Lattimore, but unfortunately, Spurrier failed miserably.

Here is the deal you cant win in the sec with three star players. there is a reason teams like vandy and ky never win the sec! and usc as well the teams with the best players win pure and simple until we start getting better players it will stay the same.

This.

Here is the deal you cant win in the sec with three star players. there is a reason teams like vandy and ky never win the sec! and usc as well the teams with the best players win pure and simple until we start getting better players it will stay the same.

And yet their fans still deny they are buying kids, I guess its easier to put your head in the sand and claim ignorance. Regardless, without Watson they were a 3 loss team at best last year, they aren't likely to make the ACC chamionship game and could lose a couple more this coming season and the luster will wear off because there isn't anyone on campus who can do the things Watson did and there is anyone in their pipeline including Johnson who has bust written all over him or Lawerence who is a heck of a passer but not a good runner, and that is what made Watson tough to defend.
Lawrence runs like a damn gazelle and has a rocket arm and is already 6'5+
I wouldn't hinge my hopes that he will not be a good one at Clemson

So as the angst continues following XT's commitment to Clemson, I took a look at the other top ranked players in the 2018 class. It seems Clemson is solidly in the mix for 7 of the top 10 players. They have commitments from 2, and are leading with another. It would not be surprising for them to land 4-5 of the top 10 players in this recruiting period.
Carolina is/was in it with one, XT.
WInning 10+ games a year for many years, beating Ohio St and Oklahoma twice, LSU, 1-1 against Saban in NC games will boost your stock. They're starting to reap the rewards and until WE do something about it, nothing is going to change. The acc has just won the natty in football, basketball, and a year removed in baseball and they will protect their institutions, so we are the best opportunity to change the stuff in pickens county. Muschamp has 1-2 more years to do something and if not, hire Urban Myer, Saban, Belechek, or someone like that.

And yet their fans still deny they are buying kids, I guess its easier to put your head in the sand and claim ignorance. Regardless, without Watson they were a 3 loss team at best last year, they aren't likely to make the ACC chamionship game and could lose a couple more this coming season and the luster will wear off because there isn't anyone on campus who can do the things Watson did and there is anyone in their pipeline including Johnson who has bust written all over him or Lawerence who is a heck of a passer but not a good runner, and that is what made Watson tough to defend.
But the fact is they DID have Watson. And we heard the same type things about him that you're now saying about Lawrence....."too skinny, injury prone, etc"...And all he did was finish runner-up in the Heismann twice and tore bama a new one 2 years in a row while winning a Natty.
Film I've seen of Lawrence looks like a beast to me and another one UGLY let slip out of the state.

Reactions: lowcountrytiger
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT