recruiting top 10 players

Discussion in 'Fighting Gamecocks Forum' started by LazyIslander, Apr 11, 2017.

1. SCsandlapper

SCsandlapper Member
    Expand Collapse

WInning 10+ games a year for many years, beating Ohio St and Oklahoma twice, LSU, 1-1 against Saban in NC games will boost your stock. They're starting to reap the rewards and until WE do something about it, nothing is going to change. The acc has just won the natty in football, basketball, and a year removed in baseball and they will protect their institutions, so we are the best opportunity to change the stuff in pickens county. Muschamp has 1-2 more years to do something and if not, hire Urban Myer, Saban, Belechek, or someone like that.

lowcountrytiger and IkeWild33 like this.
  2. SCsandlapper

SCsandlapper Member
    Expand Collapse

But the fact is they DID have Watson. And we heard the same type things about him that you're now saying about Lawrence....."too skinny, injury prone, etc"...And all he did was finish runner-up in the Heismann twice and tore bama a new one 2 years in a row while winning a Natty.
    Film I've seen of Lawrence looks like a beast to me and another one UGLY let slip out of the state.

lowcountrytiger likes this.
  3. bosoxcock

bosoxcock Well-Known Member
    Expand Collapse

s

As I look down that list I see very few superstar QB's like the poster stated you needed to win big.

I repeat:

Also the poster said "You can't win big without a superstar QB

you can win big and not win the national championship

4. cockydev

cockydev Active Member
    Expand Collapse

Xavier Thomas was pretty close to being a Gamecock lock. That didn't stop the Clemson staff. No article knows for sure what a recruit is going to do.

In XT's situation, something suspicious happened between the weekend of the spring game and his Clemson visit. So it may be an outlier. But my point still stands neither you nor your insiders know for certain what a recruit is going to do.

5. funktavious

funktavious Well-Known Member
    Expand Collapse

South Carolina is still a metro campus which is appealing to college age students. There are bars, restaurants, and many other things that college kids enjoy. But if you enjoy cow tipping, by all means go to Clemson.

6. funktavious

Expand Collapse

I would include LSU with Alabama. They won a National Title without an elite QB.

7. Mozingus

Mozingus Member
    Expand Collapse

They were all superstars at the time.

8. Mozingus

Mozingus Member
    Expand Collapse

I would also incude them as one of the few exceptions.

9. Mozingus

Mozingus Member
    Expand Collapse

The difference between a town like Columbia and a town like Florence is very, very small. Neither are like Atlanta, or even Charlotte or Jacksonville which are small cities.

10. SERK

SERK Member
    Expand Collapse

See post 2 in this thread!!!

11. funktavious

Expand Collapse

I've spent time in both Florence and Columbia and they are very different. The only similarity might be population. The culture and atmosphere of the 2 places is very different. Columbia, from my experience offers a little more variety. I have friends from Florence who play in bands and they all come to Columbia to play. Not much to do in Florence.

cockofthegoat likes this.
  12. Grumpyolddawg

Grumpyolddawg Member
    Expand Collapse

You have a short memory don't you, last time we played we kicked the living sh!t out of Clemson, made them quit, tuck tail and sneak out of Athens. Don't act like it was ancient history, Watson was on the team, so was the admitted pervert, I know I should be more specific but you can probably guess who I am talking about. One thing he wasn't doing in the game was running that mouth of his. So what gap are you talking about closing, Clemson is a soft team and Bama would have beaten them 2 scores if the big back hadn't gotten hurt. The ones who play against us in Athens would have gotten out of Chubb's way, they sure were that night.

Serious question, since Clemson has copied everything from Auburn to their mascot, main color and buying of players, have it also copied Auburn's method of handling NCAA questions by simply denying and saying prove it? I have a cousin who is a Clemson grad with some kind of construction degree, he is putting it to good use too, drives a dump truck for his daddy's construction business. No way he gets that job without that Clemson degree.

13. USC75Grad

USC75Grad Member
    Expand Collapse

I agree. And, many people think they are a small college in Georgia. Of course, that's exactly what I tell them when I'm traveling. Why would anyone want to go to school there? Of course, most of their fans probably didn't even make it out of high school. lol

lowcountrytiger and funktavious like this.
  14. MANAFOLD

MANAFOLD Well-Known Member
    Gold Member
    Expand Collapse

Given our fall and Clemson's recent success we are currently in a vacuum and won't get the prima donnas this season. Look for our stock to really rise after this year.

15. geomancer

geomancer Member
    Expand Collapse

and Columbia is a hillbilly town in the middle of a desert. I mean, come on. I've never gotten the whole "Clemson is redneck central" getting thrown about by folks who live in a slightly bigger version of redneck central with a Red Lobster and a petting zoo. Yes, I've been in Columbia within the past few years. It ain't Charlotte. It ain't Atlanta. It's a pretty provincial state capital in a state that ranks dead last in anything that Mississippi isn't running for.

griffgolf and lowcountrytiger like this.
  16. Mozingus

Mozingus Member
    Expand Collapse

I've lived in both but spent the last 30 years in or near much, much larger cities. Columbia is just a larger version of Florence, but like I said it's not a real city.

griffgolf likes this.
  17. jonesz21

jonesz21 Well-Known Member
    Expand Collapse

Yeah until we hang half a hundred on clemson we need to be out doing them in every way

Gradstudent likes this.
  18. funktavious

Expand Collapse

But it does offer what resembles a nightlife. Its the best that the state of SC has to offer. Charleston blows. Spartanburg isn't bad and is probably where kids from Clemson have to go to do anything. I live out in the sticks and to do anything its always either Charleston or Columbia. Unfortunately I live closer to Charleston where the live music scene has gotten progressively worse. I guess Florence does have the Cootie Hut. LOL

19. Grumpyolddawg

Grumpyolddawg Member
    Expand Collapse

Will he be another one that slipped out of state and has a losing record to us? Hutson Mason and UGA 1-0 against Deshawn Watson and Clemson. Both are good qbs, but their skills are not close to the same, Lawrence is no where close to being the running threat Watson was, which is what made Watson dangerousl Watson's passing ability was running a pick play to a little guy who could get lost behind a big WR and and a big WR pushing off to get seperation, both are illegal, but to Clemson's good fortune seldom called. Everyone knows it, its the knock on Williams by NFL teams, can he get open without pushing off?

Are you proud of the character displayed by the CU players, the tape of Bowlware and his explanation are iconic

20. NooNoo

NooNoo Active Member
    Expand Collapse

Spartanburg? Spartanburg sucks.

CrouchingTiger72 likes this.
  21. geomancer

geomancer Member
    Expand Collapse

yeah, something suspicious happened....like he got on campus and discovered there were 12,000 people interested in showing up for your spring game. then he came to Clemson on a lovely Spring day and watched a boatload of future NFL players playing in front of 60,000 fans and then retiring to the Oculus for some laser-tag and (I'm betting) a locker room with his name on it for the day. The kid was never a South Carolina lock. He was a kid who was a fan when he was younger, but who made a very business-like decision about who was going to offer him the best chance to get drafted in the first round three years from now.

22. funktavious

Expand Collapse

but they have Ground Zero which hosts a lot the bands that I like to listen to.

griffgolf likes this.
  23. Palmetto Golf

Palmetto Golf Member
    Expand Collapse

Recruiting is not brain surgery. It is building relationships and showing kids you can coach them up. Spurrier had the opportunity but HBC was too lazy to work at it or even go to the trouble to continue to hire coaches that could do it. Sounds like to me that Muschamp and his staff are working but it takes time to build that trust. I am not a Dabo fan but you have to give him credit. He has worked at it harder than most and can close the deal. I don't know if all those deals are above board or not but he closes. Hopefully with a little success and patience Muschamp will be able to do that too.

24. Mozingus

Mozingus Member
    Expand Collapse

Just stay out of that Carolina Pour House if you are black. The owner will choke you out then break your jaw.

25. cockydev

cockydev Active Member
    Expand Collapse

Nice theory - and you're right - it is a shame a large portion of our fanbase was split between a final four, a national championship, and a spring game all on the same weekend.

But that doesn't explain why he cut communication off a week before the Clemson spring game. I hope everything works out for his convict father.

26. Mozingus

Mozingus Member
    Expand Collapse

Auburn got the mascot from Princeton and the colors from Virginia.
    I assume Geogia took the Yale mascot and Cornell colors?

Walhalla Wildman likes this.
  27. Mozingus

Mozingus Member
    Expand Collapse

He says he called Muschamp on Thursday to tell him. The coaches and players won't bad-mouth him the way people on her do, simply because besides being the right thing to do, there are other kids in Florence or at IMG that they could end up recruiting.

28. gpcocks

gpcocks Well-Known Member
    Expand Collapse

Wait, I'm confused. Are you a Clemson fan or a Carolina fan? You posted this in another thread

[You can keep your 3 stars and I will play you with all of my 5 stars that will go to the NFL in 3 years and beat you by 50. If you want to win you better recruit better. You will end up 6-6. The independence bowl is calling.]

Page 1 of this: https://southcarolina.forums.rivals.com/threads/my-only-post-about-xt.229988/

It's not really an issue either way, just wear it.

jonesz21 and funktavious like this.
  29. funktavious

Expand Collapse

When I was hanging out in 5 points I mostly went to Group Therapy. Other than that I'd go where ever the music shows I liked were, whether it be New Brookland, the Elbow Room, or the Art Bar.

30. jonesz21

Expand Collapse

So the attendance at the clemson spring game had nothing to do with it as I suspected he had already made the decision. I knew that was bull

31. Mozingus

Mozingus Member
    Expand Collapse

He says he called venables/swinney on that tuesday and told them he was ready to commit, then did it with a handshake first thing saturday, before people were in the stands anyway. The last few trips to USC were to be sure.

32. Mozingus

Mozingus Member
    Expand Collapse

[
    Watson didn't start that game, so they don't count it as one of his losses. The one he started against GaTech before getting injured does count.

However, without Watson, Clemson might take enough steps back in a few years to meet Georgia in the Belk or Music City Bowl.

griffgolf likes this.
  33. jonesz21

Expand Collapse

True. Georgia sucks azz

34. Bleadgandb3334

Expand Collapse

All black people at the pour house get broken jaws? You've been reported

35. Bleadgandb3334

Expand Collapse

Added

36. Bleadgandb3334

Expand Collapse

just go create another username and email address. Which I'm sure you have plenty of time to do in your miserable life.

37. Mozingus

Mozingus Member
    Expand Collapse

You are pretty slow - I'm reporting an incident that happened on St Patrick's day. The victim is going to be able to sue the bar for everything.

38. Mozingus

Mozingus Member
    Expand Collapse

Again, really really slow. I wasn't making a racist remark. I was referring to the owner of that bar that grabbed a (black) customer from behind, choked him out, and threw him to the street breaking his jaw and giving him a concussion. All with a smile on his face - tell me that bar owner isn't racist.

I reported you, but only for being ignorant.

39. jonesz21

Expand Collapse

So was the owner black? You never stated that. Tyson smiled when he bit off holyfields ear. Guess he racist

40. Mozingus

Mozingus Member
    Expand Collapse