ADVERTISEMENT

recruiting top 10 players

Neither of those guys were going anywhere other than where they signed. McMillian for whatever reason fell in love with tOSU and Chubb was always coming to UGA. I don't know much about McMillian's recruitment, just he never showed much interest in anyone other than tOSU, Chubb on the other hand was paying a courtsey visit because USC had recruited him so hard and then SOS wasn't in town. Any article that tells you different about either has some incorrect information.

Xavier Thomas was pretty close to being a Gamecock lock. That didn't stop the Clemson staff. No article knows for sure what a recruit is going to do.

In XT's situation, something suspicious happened between the weekend of the spring game and his Clemson visit. So it may be an outlier. But my point still stands neither you nor your insiders know for certain what a recruit is going to do.

Well what will be the reason any player wants to play at South Carolina NOW? You are asking the same question of Clemson then, that you must ask of Carolina now.
South Carolina is still a metro campus which is appealing to college age students. There are bars, restaurants, and many other things that college kids enjoy. But if you enjoy cow tipping, by all means go to Clemson.

Reactions: lowcountrytiger
LOL.....so with Clemson signing all these "busts" y'all should really start closing the gap fast..........just need a few more Tlawrence's and XT's to fall our way and we'll be headed to 6 win seasons rather quickly.

You have a short memory don't you, last time we played we kicked the living sh!t out of Clemson, made them quit, tuck tail and sneak out of Athens. Don't act like it was ancient history, Watson was on the team, so was the admitted pervert, I know I should be more specific but you can probably guess who I am talking about. One thing he wasn't doing in the game was running that mouth of his. So what gap are you talking about closing, Clemson is a soft team and Bama would have beaten them 2 scores if the big back hadn't gotten hurt. The ones who play against us in Athens would have gotten out of Chubb's way, they sure were that night.

Serious question, since Clemson has copied everything from Auburn to their mascot, main color and buying of players, have it also copied Auburn's method of handling NCAA questions by simply denying and saying prove it? I have a cousin who is a Clemson grad with some kind of construction degree, he is putting it to good use too, drives a dump truck for his daddy's construction business. No way he gets that job without that Clemson degree.

I understand they just won the National Championship but they were recruiting well before they won that. I can't see what the draw is to Clemson. It's a hillbilly town in NW South Carolina with nothing to do. They play how many premier games a season? Florida State and who else? Who gets excited about playing the teams from Tobacco Road or playing Syracuse or BC? The game against us only matters to those of us who live in the state. Every now and then they step out of conference and play an Auburn or a Georgia but for the most part their games have absolutely nothing to get excited about.

I agree. And, many people think they are a small college in Georgia. Of course, that's exactly what I tell them when I'm traveling. Why would anyone want to go to school there? Of course, most of their fans probably didn't even make it out of high school. lol

So as the angst continues following XT's commitment to Clemson, I took a look at the other top ranked players in the 2018 class. It seems Clemson is solidly in the mix for 7 of the top 10 players. They have commitments from 2, and are leading with another. It would not be surprising for them to land 4-5 of the top 10 players in this recruiting period.
Carolina is/was in it with one, XT.
Given our fall and Clemson's recent success we are currently in a vacuum and won't get the prima donnas this season. Look for our stock to really rise after this year.

I understand they just won the National Championship but they were recruiting well before they won that. I can't see what the draw is to Clemson. It's a hillbilly town in NW South Carolina with nothing to do. They play how many premier games a season? Florida State and who else? Who gets excited about playing the teams from Tobacco Road or playing Syracuse or BC? The game against us only matters to those of us who live in the state. Every now and then they step out of conference and play an Auburn or a Georgia but for the most part their games have absolutely nothing to get excited about.
and Columbia is a hillbilly town in the middle of a desert. I mean, come on. I've never gotten the whole "Clemson is redneck central" getting thrown about by folks who live in a slightly bigger version of redneck central with a Red Lobster and a petting zoo. Yes, I've been in Columbia within the past few years. It ain't Charlotte. It ain't Atlanta. It's a pretty provincial state capital in a state that ranks dead last in anything that Mississippi isn't running for.

The good news from this side is the top 10 recruits on signing day are never the same top 10 players drafted in the NFL.

Clemson does ring day at the spring game, we get a golden nugget dropped in our lap with a final 4 game the same day as our spring game, and what do we do move the time up and separate the 2 like morons vs, line it up, watch the spring game then watch the basketball game at the stadium that would of had a bunch more fans.

What would Clemson had done?

Will our football ops building be as good as theirs?

Ever watch them introduce their early signees on signing day, its room full or fans who applaud, a fun event, ours is the players and their family in front of media.

Its more then coaches, its the athletic department, ours is busy sending tweets to Clemson congratulating them for football, vs studying and trying to parlay every advantage we have or different ways to promote our program.

Yeah until we hang half a hundred on clemson we need to be out doing them in every way

Reactions: Gradstudent
But the fact is they DID have Watson. And we heard the same type things about him that you're now saying about Lawrence....."too skinny, injury prone, etc"...And all he did was finish runner-up in the Heismann twice and tore bama a new one 2 years in a row while winning a Natty.
Film I've seen of Lawrence looks like a beast to me and another one UGLY let slip out of the state.

Will he be another one that slipped out of state and has a losing record to us? Hutson Mason and UGA 1-0 against Deshawn Watson and Clemson. Both are good qbs, but their skills are not close to the same, Lawrence is no where close to being the running threat Watson was, which is what made Watson dangerousl Watson's passing ability was running a pick play to a little guy who could get lost behind a big WR and and a big WR pushing off to get seperation, both are illegal, but to Clemson's good fortune seldom called. Everyone knows it, its the knock on Williams by NFL teams, can he get open without pushing off?

Are you proud of the character displayed by the CU players, the tape of Bowlware and his explanation are iconic

Spartanburg? Spartanburg sucks.

But it does offer what resembles a nightlife. Its the best that the state of SC has to offer. Charleston blows. Spartanburg isn't bad and is probably where kids from Clemson have to go to do anything. I live out in the sticks and to do anything its always either Charleston or Columbia. Unfortunately I live closer to Charleston where the live music scene has gotten progressively worse. I guess Florence does have the Cootie Hut. LOL

Reactions: CrouchingTiger72
Xavier Thomas was pretty close to being a Gamecock lock. That didn't stop the Clemson staff. No article knows for sure what a recruit is going to do.

In XT's situation, something suspicious happened between the weekend of the spring game and his Clemson visit. So it may be an outlier. But my point still stands neither you nor your insiders know for certain what a recruit is going to do.
yeah, something suspicious happened....like he got on campus and discovered there were 12,000 people interested in showing up for your spring game. then he came to Clemson on a lovely Spring day and watched a boatload of future NFL players playing in front of 60,000 fans and then retiring to the Oculus for some laser-tag and (I'm betting) a locker room with his name on it for the day. The kid was never a South Carolina lock. He was a kid who was a fan when he was younger, but who made a very business-like decision about who was going to offer him the best chance to get drafted in the first round three years from now.

Recruiting is not brain surgery. It is building relationships and showing kids you can coach them up. Spurrier had the opportunity but HBC was too lazy to work at it or even go to the trouble to continue to hire coaches that could do it. Sounds like to me that Muschamp and his staff are working but it takes time to build that trust. I am not a Dabo fan but you have to give him credit. He has worked at it harder than most and can close the deal. I don't know if all those deals are above board or not but he closes. Hopefully with a little success and patience Muschamp will be able to do that too.

yeah, something suspicious happened....like he got on campus and discovered there were 12,000 people interested in showing up for your spring game. then he came to Clemson on a lovely Spring day and watched a boatload of future NFL players playing in front of 60,000 fans and then retiring to the Oculus for some laser-tag and (I'm betting) a locker room with his name on it for the day. The kid was never a South Carolina lock. He was a kid who was a fan when he was younger, but who made a very business-like decision about who was going to offer him the best chance to get drafted in the first round three years from now.

Nice theory - and you're right - it is a shame a large portion of our fanbase was split between a final four, a national championship, and a spring game all on the same weekend.

But that doesn't explain why he cut communication off a week before the Clemson spring game. I hope everything works out for his convict father.

We're not catching up. We are falling farther behind. Sounds like we are half assing the new football building too vs our competition. Seems to be the garnet way. In the year 2057, I wonder if anything will have changed.

Wait, I'm confused. Are you a Clemson fan or a Carolina fan? You posted this in another thread

[You can keep your 3 stars and I will play you with all of my 5 stars that will go to the NFL in 3 years and beat you by 50. If you want to win you better recruit better. You will end up 6-6. The independence bowl is calling.]

Page 1 of this: https://southcarolina.forums.rivals.com/threads/my-only-post-about-xt.229988/

It's not really an issue either way, just wear it.

Will he be another one that slipped out of state and has a losing record to us? Hutson Mason and UGA 1-0 against Deshawn Watson and Clemson. Both are good qbs, but their skills are not close to the same, Lawrence is no where close to being the running threat Watson was, which is what made Watson dangerousl Watson's passing ability was running a pick play to a little guy who could get lost behind a big WR and and a big WR pushing off to get seperation, both are illegal, but to Clemson's good fortune seldom called. Everyone knows it, its the knock on Williams by NFL teams, can he get open without pushing off?

Are you proud of the character displayed by the CU players, the tape of Bowlware and his explanation are iconic
I saw QB Trevor Lawrence play six games in the past two seasons. Not only is he a great passer but he has tremendous wheels for a 6-5 220 QB. He was a top priority recruit for Kirby Smart. To say that he wasn't is ludicrous! He is one of the top two 2018 recruits in the nation for a reason. Bad enough to listen to all the gloating Tiger fans but listening to a whiney UGA fan is over the top!

Reactions: cockburg
Take away Deshaun Watson last year and they likely lose to Auburn, Louisville, NC State and FSU. At best they would have gone 9-3 with close wins over NC State, Auburn and Troy. It's quite possible they would have finished 8-4. That's not a joke....that's just what happens when you replace Deshaun Watson with a decent QB. Considering how poorly their QBs performed in the spring game, I wouldn't be surprised to see an 8-4 season this year. Deshaun Watson, love him or hate him, was a once in a generation talent. It wouldn't surprise me a bit if the the gap between our programs looks considerably smaller this fall.

With Watson gone, and less than a super star at QB, and Dabo being a dumb football guy, they'll get their due.

I can't wait until the assistants move on and leave Dabo on an island. If he doesn't make homerun hires he's going back to Hickville. I can't wait.

With Watson gone, and less than a super star at QB, and Dabo being a dumb football guy, they'll get their due.

I can't wait until the assistants move on and leave Dabo on an island. If he doesn't make homerun hires he's going back to Hickville. I can't wait.

We have been hearing this for a few years now but it hasnt happened yet. I am sure we will have a subpar season at some point in the near future but with his record and the title Dabo has punched his ticket to be at Clemson for a long time. He has only been HC 8.5 years and only needs 8 wins to pass Ford(who the older fans think is the best) on the all time win list for Clemson. You really think one or two bad seasons is gonna get him pushed out??

Reactions: cockburg
We have been hearing this for a few years now but it hasnt happened yet. I am sure we will have a subpar season at some point in the near future but with his record and the title Dabo has punched his ticket to be at Clemson for a long time. He has only been HC 8.5 years and only needs 8 wins to pass Ford(who the older fans think is the best) on the all time win list for Clemson. You really think one or two bad seasons is gonna get him pushed out??

Nope but I think he's got a rude awakening coming soon. Dabo has been very very very lucky.

Ford was better imo, but I also like his style of football better than what Clemson runs today.

Nope but I think he's got a rude awakening coming soon. Dabo has been very very very lucky.
He's been very lucky with Venables. Venables could get a head coaching job right now, but my bet is he stays at least until his kid/ kids are gone.

Dude, give him his due. He has built built that program year by year. Luck , imho, has had little to do with it. With Lawrence , they will have 2 quarterbacks on their team that were higher rated as prospects than Watson. He has done this through hard work. You don't land top 5 recruiting classes consistently by being lucky. Maybe he is limited as an Xs and Os coach, I'm not convinced of that , but that's been the knock him. If he is, he has addressed that weakness through hiring great asst. Coaches. Smart move and a selfless act.

Dude, give him his due. He has built built that program year by year. Luck , imho, has had little to do with it. With Lawrence , they will have 2 quarterbacks on their team that were higher rated as prospects than Watson. He has done this through hard work. You don't land top 5 recruiting classes consistently by being lucky. Maybe he is limited as an Xs and Os coach, I'm not convinced of that , but that's been the knock him. If he is, he has addressed that weakness through hiring great asst. Coaches. Smart move and a selfless act.

Im not a disgruntled fan because Clemson won a national championship and I predicted it was coming a couple of years ago and was laughed at.

Dabo got Watson because of his relationship with Chad Morris. Dabo's done well but he's been lucky as hell with some coaches and players.

Don't let anyone fool you, anyone rated higher than Watson is fools gold. To use those ratings as proof is misleading. Lawrence, and any other QB, can have tools. Watson had the best pocket presence of any college QB I've ever seen, that's NEVER going to be replaced EVER by any QB coming in to Clemson. And sooner than later the defenses will start slowing the spread down.

Im not a Dabo hater but his rah rah bullcrap can't pull them everything. He'll not find another Venables getting let go because a foolish coach wants to bring in his brother. Stoops was a complete and total idiot for that move, which Dabo benefitted from.

Im not a disgruntled fan because Clemson won a national championship and I predicted it was coming a couple of years ago and was laughed at.

Dabo got Watson because of his relationship with Chad Morris. Dabo's done well but he's been lucky as hell with some coaches and players.

Don't let anyone fool you, anyone rated higher than Watson is fools gold. To use those ratings as proof is misleading. Lawrence, and any other QB, can have tools. Watson had the best pocket presence of any college QB I've ever seen, that's NEVER going to be replaced EVER by any QB coming in to Clemson. And sooner than later the defenses will start slowing the spread down.

Im not a Dabo hater but his rah rah bullcrap can't pull them everything. He'll not find another Venables getting let go because a foolish coach wants to bring in his brother. Stoops was a complete and total idiot for that move, which Dabo benefitted from.
I've been following the draft pretty closely and there is no shortage of pundits who thing Watson is not worthy of first round consideration. You might be underestimating the rest of the cast and the coaching. Venebles doesn't want to be a head coach and if they lose one of their co-OCs, it's not that big a deal as they are playing with the system Chad Morris left anyway.

Remember how CU was going to fold after Morris left? Remember how CU was going to get killed in the 2014 bowl game against Oklahoma without Watson and only Cole Stoudt to lead the offense?

You can wish all you want, but Dabo is too good a recruiter both of players and coaches to let this crumble any time soon. Might see a dip this year but not drastic. Worst case is 9-3 regular season. And this was all accomplished with just slightly above average facilities. Just can't see anything working to put the brakes on in the near future.

Those recruiting rankings don't measure heart! They don't measure pride! They don't measure toughness! But, coach Boom does!

XT and all of his top level talent friends at his fancy football high school can go to Clemson. Coach Boom wants the tough kid who goes to his local public high school, with the kids he grew up with b/c he is loyal. Boom doesn't want the all-star, he wants the kid that got beat up for his lunch money as a freshman and learned to fight back. He didn't want that all-star McIllwain, he wanted a kid who had to work for everything he got, a kid who maybe wasn't a starter all throughout high school, someone gritty like Jake Bentley. Coach Boom will have a team of rocky balboas.

He's been very lucky with Venables. Venables could get a head coaching job right now, but my bet is he stays at least until his kid/ kids are gone.

I'm told by a number of fans that Venables doesn't want the pressures of being a HC, and likes just being a D.C. Heck, they've got a good thing going right now. He is able to recruit any players he wants from anywhere , and can get those he needs. Recruiting is about as easy as it comes, and might actually be fun when you aren't desperate. He has the players to run any scheme he wants, and he has the best defense in the country. He's orchestrated the only D to ever shut out Urban Myer, and gets paid well over $1,000,000 per year. What's not to enjoy?

I'm told by a number of fans that Venables doesn't want the pressures of being a HC, and likes just being a D.C. Heck, they've got a good thing going right now. He is able to recruit any players he wants from anywhere , and can get those he needs. Recruiting is about as easy as it comes, and might actually be fun when you aren't desperate. He has the players to run any scheme he wants, and he has the best defense in the country. He's orchestrated the only D to ever shut out Urban Myer, and gets paid well over $1,000,000 per year. What's not to enjoy?
Agreed. Some people know their limits. Maybe he doesn't think hes suited well for being a head coach or maybe, like you said, he just enjoys what hes doing. Coordinators are more closely tied to game planning and actually coaching than the head coaches are these days. Personally, aside from the money, I don't think being a head coach would be very enjoyable. Dabo has lucked out if Venables really feels this way.

Yeah, we aren't interested in the most talented players in the country.....There is a reason they have played for the last two national championships and won one. Sounds like you would like Vanderbilt's roster over Alabama's. Doesn't want the all star? Not a starter? If that's the case then what's the point.

QUOTE="CockyinMTP, post: 3292767, member: 98123"]Those recruiting rankings don't measure heart! They don't measure pride! They don't measure toughness! But, coach Boom does!

XT and all of his top level talent friends at his fancy football high school can go to Clemson. Coach Boom wants the tough kid who goes to his local public high school, with the kids he grew up with b/c he is loyal. Boom doesn't want the all-star, he wants the kid that got beat up for his lunch money as a freshman and learned to fight back. He didn't want that all-star McIllwain, he wanted a kid who had to work for everything he got, a kid who maybe wasn't a starter all throughout high school, someone gritty like Jake Bentley. Coach Boom will have a team of rocky balboas.[/QUOTE]

Rivals currently has 20 players listed as 2018 5 star prospects. Are we going after them? Are Bama, Clemson, UF, FSU or Ga going after any of them? Let's see:

#1 QB from Ga. All (Bama, Clemson,UF, FSU,Ga) have offered. No offer from Carolina
#2 DB from Fla. All have offered. No offer from Carolina.
#3 DE from SC. All have offered including Carolina.
#4 OL from Ohio. All have offered. No offer from Carolina.
#5 DE from Pa. No offer from Carolina, .
#8 QB from California. No offer from Carolina
#10 DB from Fla. All have offered. No offer from Carolina.
#11 OL from TN. No offer from Carolina.
#12 WR from California. No offer from Carolina.
#13 RB from Fla. No offer from Carolina.
#19 WR from Al. All have offered. No offer from Carolina.
#20 DB from Tx. No offer from Carolina.

We did not offer 55% of the 5 star players.
Bama offered 90% of the 5 star players
Clemson offered 75% of the 5 star players * 83+%
Florida offered 80% of the 5 star players
Florida St offered 90% of the 5 star players.
Georgia offered 90% of the 5 star players
and Carolina offered 45% of the 5 star players
* (2 players not offered by Clemson were QBs, Clemson already has 2, 5 star QBs)

Wow this is unreal and great research . In my opinion this is pathetic . Even if your odds are slim you still gotta make the effort and if you land 1 top ten guy every few years then you have a talent that can turnaround the program . This is the difference between Us and the big boys , If you are afraid to make the tough cast you will never get the big fish . I hate to say it but Dabo and crew outworked us and out spent us and that's why 56-7 happened and will probably happen again this year .

Find something wrong with what I said?
You said, "I understand they just won the National Championship but they were recruiting well before they won that. I can't see what the draw is to Clemson. It's a hillbilly town in NW South Carolina with nothing to do. They play how many premier games a season? Florida State and who else? Who gets excited about playing the teams from Tobacco Road or playing Syracuse or BC? The game against us only matters to those of us who live in the state. Every now and then they step out of conference and play an Auburn or a Georgia but for the most part their games have absolutely nothing to get excited about."
Don't be an idiot like some others on here. Some of you need to get out more. You keep thinking Clemson/ Anderson/ Greenville aren't nice places and trying to figure out why anyone would go there. I live in Anderson and would much rather live in the upstate than anywhere around Lexington or Richland counties minus Lake Murray.
In regards to their games, just more played out drivel that people say when they can't deal with the facts. We have a long way to go to be in any premier game. Meanwhile, they play ND, FSU, Louisville (who has a Heisman winner), and VT. Then you get the playoff/ OOC schedule with people like Auburn, OSU, Oklahoma, and Alabama.
I hate defending them but goodness man get a sense of reality about yourself.

Reactions: Walhalla Wildman
You said, "I understand they just won the National Championship but they were recruiting well before they won that. I can't see what the draw is to Clemson. It's a hillbilly town in NW South Carolina with nothing to do. They play how many premier games a season? Florida State and who else? Who gets excited about playing the teams from Tobacco Road or playing Syracuse or BC? The game against us only matters to those of us who live in the state. Every now and then they step out of conference and play an Auburn or a Georgia but for the most part their games have absolutely nothing to get excited about."
Don't be an idiot like some others on here. Some of you need to get out more. You keep thinking Clemson/ Anderson/ Greenville aren't nice places and trying to figure out why anyone would go there. I live in Anderson and would much rather live in the upstate than anywhere around Lexington or Richland counties minus Lake Murray.
In regards to their games, just more played out drivel that people say when they can't deal with the facts. We have a long way to go to be in any premier game. Meanwhile, they play ND, FSU, Louisville (who has a Heisman winner), and VT. Then you get the playoff/ OOC schedule with people like Auburn, OSU, Oklahoma, and Alabama.
I hate defending them but goodness man get a sense of reality about yourself.
Forgive me for wanting some other place to go besides Essos. Outside of the school there is jack shit in the town of Clemson. If you removed the school it would be just another little dead town. You could remove USC from Columbia and you would still have the capitol city. There would still be plenty to do, bars, dining, etc.. Like Jim Boheim(sp?) referred to their dining as both much more than Dennys(paraphrasing as I don't remember the exact quote). Anderson County is pretty. I'll give it that but if I'm going to college, I want to be able to hit the town and have some fun at night.

Forgive me for wanting some other place to go besides Essos. Outside of the school there is jack shit in the town of Clemson. If you removed the school it would be just another little dead town. You could remove USC from Columbia and you would still have the capitol city. There would still be plenty to do, bars, dining, etc.. Like Jim Boheim(sp?) referred to their dining as both much more than Dennys(paraphrasing as I don't remember the exact quote). Anderson County is pretty. I'll give it that but if I'm going to college, I want to be able to hit the town and have some fun at night.

Perhaps that is the problem. Kids are sold on the small town environment, go there and focus and stay out of trouble. Believe me that sells MAMMA and that is who decides in many situations.

ADVERTISEMENT