ADVERTISEMENT

Recruiting under Muschamp...

mUSCle Gamecock

Jan 28, 1999
I thought we would be recruiting at a much higher level by now. Maybe at least one 5 star and mostly 4 starts per each recruiting cycle (Yea, I know stars mean nothing). Where my expectations unrealistic?

When Spurrier wanted to, he could bring in recruits that Muschamp would only dream about. Muschamp is working really hard to bring in the same level of recruits Spurrier did when he got lazy.

Reactions: mUSCle Gamecock
With only 1 or 2 significant exceptions, Muschamp's classes have been ranked about the same as Spurrier's after considering non-qualifiers and changes in the cap for the # of players that a school can bring in each year. It hasn't been great, but we're generally in the Top 20. BTW - SOS's failure to capitalize on us finishing ranked in the Top 5-15 during our 3 year run still pisses me off; not a comment on his coaching or our performance, but we really needed to do better on the recruiting trail (Arden Key and others say, "Hello!"). Our current problem, as Millertime gets at, has been development, fundamentals, and gametime coaching.

If you look at the star averages per player, Muschamp's recruiting has been better than Spurrier's first 5 classes. Thus, I believe the talent is here to produce Top 10 teams. It's the "coaching" that has to come through next year. NO EXCUSES.

If I was Muschamp, I would 1. trust Bobo to score points in whatever way possible, thus, keeping his hands off the offense. 2. I would take full control of the defense, keeping TRob as DC, in name only. But, that's ME.

On paper
Great job =QB, D-line, Secondary
Good job= o-line, WRs, RBs
Ok job =linebackers.

I believe he's able to recruit. It's the wins on the field that had eluded him. Same thing at Florida. Got the stars, but not the wins.

But like this guy said...
Well he is getting 2 this year with Lloyd and Burch off a 4 win season. If any other school was doing that, we would be saying they are cheating. So he must be doing something right, I guess?

He's bringing in a 5 star RB and potentially, hopefully, please Lord Jesus a 5 star DE from the same high school his son attends...

I think if we can get the wins, the recruits will follow along.

Shoot me, but I think Bobo will help us get the TDs and the Ws.

On paper
Ok job =linebackers.
I don't know boss, Brunson and Jones and Sherrod all played pretty damn good this past year and the freshman Brown is fast as lightning.
On paper
Ok job =linebackers.

On paper
Ok job =linebackers.

App State plainly says our recruitment rankings don’t matter if you don’t have the coaches. Not a single App State player offered by South Carolina except one but his offer was pulled when he was injured
I would like to know the average age of the App State players who started against us. My theory is a player who may have been a 2 or 3 star in high school who is now 21-22 years old has now become the equivalent of a 4 or 5 star when compared to current high school players. Age, size and strength seem to even the playing field when your 4 stars are 18 years old and their guys are 22.

I would like to know the average age of the App State players who started against us. My theory is a player who may have been a 2 or 3 star in high school who is now 21-22 years old has now become the equivalent of a 4 or 5 star when compared to current high school players. Age, size and strength seem to even the playing field when your 4 stars are 18 years old and their guys are 22.
Congratulations. In all my years reading message boards I thought I had read just about every excuse possible to justify pathetic results but this one is a first for me.

Your point - that stars may become less meaningful through time - is a valid one but not an excuse for our loss. I can't tell you the starters, but here's the star breakdown by class, using the 247 roster, classes, and composite rankings:

Seniors (11): 1 3*, 6 2*, 4 NR
Juniors (34): 9 3*, 12 2*, 13 NR
Sophomore (21): 5 3*, 7 2*, 9 NR
Freshmen (50): 20 3*, 11 2*, 19 NR

I can add that their primary QB is a junior, their top 2 RB's are juniors, their top 3 WR's are all juniors, and their 4 leading tacklers are all seniors.

With only 1 or 2 significant exceptions, Muschamp's classes have been ranked about the same as Spurrier's after considering non-qualifiers and changes in the cap for the # of players that a school can bring in each year. It hasn't been great, but we're generally in the Top 20. BTW - SOS's failure to capitalize on us finishing ranked in the Top 5-15 during our 3 year run still pisses me off; not a comment on his coaching or our performance, but we really needed to do better on the recruiting trail (Arden Key and others say, "Hello!"). Our current problem, as Millertime gets at, has been development, fundamentals, and gametime coaching.
It still kills me to think about the recruiting class we had lined up before Spurrier made the "2-3 more years" comment. That was literally the start of the demise. Every time I see Jaire Alexander or Darius Slayton on Sundays, I want to throw my remote.

I believe he's able to recruit. It's the wins on the field that had eluded him. Same thing at Florida. Got the stars, but not the wins.

But like this guy said...

He's bringing in a 5 star RB and potentially, hopefully, please Lord Jesus a 5 star DE from the same high school his son attends...

I think if we can get the wins, the recruits will follow along.

Shoot me, but I think Bobo will help us get the TDs and the Ws.

nothing builds recruiting like winning. Kids aren’t stupid and they can follow the game as we do. They see what they see.

Reactions: OldBluJacketJr
Does anyone seriously think that you can have an elite program with recruiting rankings that average in the 20’s? Sure Spurrier was able to do it for a few years. Many on this Board think Muschamp is recruiting well, and I don’t get it. Especially considering that players regress under his tutelage.

Congratulations. In all my years reading message boards I thought I had read just about every excuse possible to justify pathetic results but this one is a first for me.
not sure how you turned the message into an excuse it was just a theory of how the playing field levels out with age and experienced players vs young inexperienced players. I assume you think a 4 star converted QB like Leggette or Uric and a walk on WR should be better that a 22 year old senior CB who is now much stronger, faster and smarter than he was as a high school senior. when you mix the WR play we got out of those type players along with injuries and pitiful play calling you get a terrible offense.

Does anyone seriously think that you can have an elite program with recruiting rankings that average in the 20’s? Sure Spurrier was able to do it for a few years. Many on this Board think Muschamp is recruiting well, and I don’t get it. Especially considering that players regress under his tutelage.

Good point . Difference is elite coaches can win with classes in the 20s because they develop and they can simply out coach the opponent. Spurrier was a master at it . Look at guys like Chris Peterson , Gary Patterson , Mike Leach etc etc . You never saw any of those guys cracking the top 30 in recruiting rankings . Matt Rhule at Baylor this year was a perfect example . It’s pretty clear to everyone that Muschamp ain’t one of those guys . He needs elite talent because he can’t develop players and he can’t coach . Also he built his reputation recruiting at Texas , Auburn and Florida . My 7 year old nephew could recruit top 20 classes at those schools .

Good point . Difference is elite coaches can win with classes in the 20s because they develop and they can simply out coach the opponent. Spurrier was a master at it . Look at guys like Chris Peterson , Gary Patterson , Mike Leach etc etc . You never saw any of those guys cracking the top 30 in recruiting rankings . Matt Rhule at Baylor this year was a perfect example . It’s pretty clear to everyone that Muschamp ain’t one of those guys . He needs elite talent because he can’t develop players and he can’t coach . Also he built his reputation recruiting at Texas , Auburn and Florida . My 7 year old nephew could recruit top 20 classes at those schools .
Exactly. Average recruiting and Muschamp as coach equals a lifetime of mediocrity.

Based on our win-loss record, I think Muschamp's recruiting is fine. You aren't going to recruit at Bama, UGA, or Clemson levels until you start winning 10+ games a season.

The problem seems to be in the development of those recruits and in giving them a game plan that allows to excel. You have to take those 20th ranked classes and make them play like a 15th ranked team in order to sign 15th ranked classes. Then you have to make those 15th ranked players play like a top 10 team to attract top 10 ranked classes. And so on and so on. Right now, we have 20th -25th ranked classes and they are yielding 60th-70th ranked results on the field.

Reactions: USC15
Haha, well there is no excuse for losing to App State 15-20. Although you could say the playcalling was atrocious, Feaster was out, Dowdle playing hurt and Hilinski overthrowing a WIDE OPEN Bryan Edwards in the end zone with time running out (to this day I still dont know how Edwards was left wide open in the end zone on the last play of the game).

However, "A Know it all like you" makes a legitimate point. That's exactly how the star system works. A 3-star coming out of highschool after a year of development in college ball is considered equal to a 4-star coming out of highschool with no experience in college ball. It would take 2 years of college development for a 3-star to be considered equal to a 5 star coming out of highschool

not sure how you turned the message into an excuse it was just a theory of how the playing field levels out with age and experienced players vs young inexperienced players. I assume you think a 4 star converted QB like Leggette or Uric and a walk on WR should be better that a 22 year old senior CB who is now much stronger, faster and smarter than he was as a high school senior. when you mix the WR play we got out of those type players along with injuries and pitiful play calling you get a terrible offense.
With coaching guys can absolutely develop higher than they started but a guy who was NR or a 1 Star doesn’t miraculously become a 4 star guy just because he’s a senior. We lost to App State because our oline has no ability to block and our offensive scheme keeps the entire defense in the middle of the field so even if the RB found a small gap the LBs and Safeties were standing there anyway.

But yes there are plenty of guys who are 4 star freshmen that are better than 2 year seniors. In terms of the receivers our guys couldn’t get open against a HS senior a college senior or a senior citizen. I can almost promise you that if the staffs of the two programs were reversed the results would have been very different.

Reactions: gamecockwrestler
People on here write like App State rolled all over us and reality is they looked like crap. You forget a pick 6 when or so called receiver instead of catching the ball bounced it up in the air for the pick 6 and the ball should have been easily caught by our receiver but he looks like he has hands of stone. Anyway as far a recruiting we maybe getting our first Harold Green, Mike Davis, Squeeky Watson in Lloyd if they can get him signed. Our receivers are from a passing grade with only Edwards and Smith out of 4 years in recruiting. Why in 5 years of recruiting are we getting our first skilled running back if he signs and converting HS qb’s to receiver. I think it is great if they have the speed to stretch the field but the 3 they played all had issues catching the ball as each of them had several drops.

Haha, well there is no excuse for losing to App State 15-20. Although you could say the playcalling was atrocious, Feaster was out, Dowdle playing hurt and Hilinski overthrowing a WIDE OPEN Bryan Edwards in the end zone with time running out (to this day I still dont know how Edwards was left wide open in the end zone on the last play of the game).

However, "A Know it all like you" makes a legitimate point. That's exactly how the star system works. A 3-star coming out of highschool after a year of development in college ball is considered equal to a 4-star coming out of highschool with no experience in college ball. It would take 2 years of college development for a 3-star to be considered equal to a 5 star coming out of highschool
We should never lose to App State
With coaching guys can absolutely develop higher than they started but a guy who was NR or a 1 Star doesn’t miraculously become a 4 star guy just because he’s a senior. We lost to App State because our oline has no ability to block and our offensive scheme keeps the entire defense in the middle of the field so even if the RB found a small gap the LBs and Safeties were standing there anyway.

But yes there are plenty of guys who are 4 star freshmen that are better than 2 year seniors. In terms of the receivers our guys couldn’t get open against a HS senior a college senior or a senior citizen. I can almost promise you that if the staffs of the two programs were reversed the results would have been very different.
agree with everything you say. I took a look at the App States defensive numbers that day and the top tacklers were as follows.
DB-Sr
LB- Sr
DB-Jr
LB-Sr
LB-So
DL-Jr
Hopefuly we can get to a the point where freshmen can't come in and win a starting job for us unless they are just a superstar.

No use to bring up the wide open Edwards in end zone as if he would have caught it we had a flag for holding. So wasn’t going to happen

Clemson pre-Deshaun. Ole Miss ~ 10 years back. And go....
Before Watson Clemson was making BCS bowls which we never made one of. They also had ACC championships and a NC 81. Dabo improved one Bowdens solid recruiting and hired excellent coordinators who could X and O. Being a college town doesn’t hurt either.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT