ADVERTISEMENT

Recruiting...

Prince of Darkness

Jul 31, 2013
Lexington, SC
Tennessee signed like 38 kids last year and they have 28 commitments this year as of now. That would leave them like 19 scholarships for the rest of the team. That's what I call attrition right there. They would have to be the youngest team in the nation and yet they are trending up in the SEC East. How do they over sign 2 years in a row. Just doesn't make sense.
Posted from Rivals Mobile

Great question! Think about the kids who signed or were on the team last year, but now aren't. They may never get a chance to go to college again. Its sad really that in the pursuit of some football wins they would sacrifice a young mans future.

Unfortunately, this is how some programs recruit. Tell a kid what he wants to hear to get him to sign and if he doesn't work out, push him out the door so they can sign someone else.

Originally posted by lawncocky:

Unfortunately, this is how some programs recruit. Tell a kid what he wants to hear to get him to sign and if he doesn't work out, push him out the door so they can sign someone else.
I believe the new 4 year scholarship guarantee will stop this. I don't the rule but it would stop this.

Originally posted by Gamecock1993:

I believe the new 4 year scholarship guarantee will stop this. I don't the rule but it would stop this.
The new rule might help. But what's a player going to do when the head coach calls him into his office and tells him he should transfer because he's never going to play? I believe 9 out of 10 will still transfer and finish their degree somewhere else so they have a chance to play again before they hang up their cleats for good.

Originally posted by Gamecock1993:

Yes, it would put an end to it, as long as there is not any loopholes. i.e. if a kid leaves under his own accord that scholarship is then available again.

Personally though, I think limiting the number of kids you can sign to a strict 25 a year would be better. Then if a kid leaves early to go to the NFL that would not count against you.

And this is also how many of the recruits behave when committing to a school and switching multiple times. The only thing consistent in college football is "inconsistency".

Originally posted by kickassblaster:

Great question! Think about the kids who signed or were on the team last year, but now aren't. They may never get a chance to go to college again. Its sad really that in the pursuit of some football wins they would sacrifice a young mans future.
I don't understand how this would "sacrifice" someone's future. I'll guarantee you if a player has professional capabilities, he'll not be encouraged to transfer or otherwise released. If a scholarship is revoked, he/she still has the same opportunity as any non-athlete.
I didn't get an athletic scholarship, and my parents aren't wealthy. There are avenues for getting a college education other than an athletic scholly.

Scott had his chance to come to South Carolina. Big mistake.

Originally posted by Yellow Fin Fan:

I don't understand how this would "sacrifice" someone's future. I'll guarantee you if a player has professional capabilities, he'll not be encouraged to transfer or otherwise released. If a scholarship is revoked, he/she still has the same opportunity as any non-athlete.
I didn't get an athletic scholarship, and my parents aren't wealthy. There are avenues for getting a college education other than an athletic scholly.
First we have to agree that what UT is doing is out of the ordinary. Second we have to agree that the simple math of the 85 man limit is extremely difficult signing 25+ people a year. Now we have to ask ourselves what is happening to the excess players? I simply cannot believe all the kids that leave UT early do so under their own accord. Once the question of what is different at UT gets asked, then you have to ask how do they continue to get 30 players to sign on with them in an honest fashion?

If someone can show me I am off base here I will absolutely admit I am wrong. Until then I remain suspicious at best.

Originally posted by Prince of Darkness:
Tennessee signed like 38 kids last year and they have 28 commitments this year as of now. That would leave them like 19 scholarships for the rest of the team. That's what I call attrition right there. They would have to be the youngest team in the nation and yet they are trending up in the SEC East. How do they over sign 2 years in a row. Just doesn't make sense.
Posted from Rivals Mobile
It's essentially the Saban process. Every class will have a few busts in it. So if you strictly recruit 25 and have 5 busts (for example), then you only really brought in 20 players.

But if you sign 30 and 5 are busts, you get those 5 to transfer or have medical hardships, and then you net 25 players.

This is how some teams net an entire extra recruiting class (20 players) over a 4 year span.

Idk about that cockydev. In some cases those players that leave Bama aren't bust. They end up leaving and being really good players on other teams. You can only have so many 5 star running backs. The draw of Bama right now is so strong a 5 star player doesn't care that they've got two other 5 stars committed at his position. They go there anyway.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT