ADVERTISEMENT

Recruiting

alston

Jun 26, 2001
Are we done with basketball recruiting for this class or is there someone else we are waiting on? Thanks.

Baring a sudden unexpected opening popping up, we are pretty much done.

Hopefully this year we will have no unexpected openings like each of the past several years. Players have got to stay out of trouble

I hope he doesn't, if he signs them he needs to develop them. Remember these players have been practicing all year and helping the team in that way

I can think of 2 players that CFM might not mind having a good reason to run off

I do not like when posters do this. It leads to speculation and denigrating our own. FM knows his roster and his kids better than we do.

I will give an example, Temarcus Blanton is a young man who has contributed very little on the court. He basically had a hip injury that was worse than Bo Jackson's. He is two years out from surgery and still has a noticeable limp and can barely jump. He is still rehabbing and is an example of perseverance that FM points out almost every day to the team. He has a year of eligibility left, is on schedule to graduate and wants to be a coach. His worth to the team and program cannot be measured in points scored and minutes played.

So does our recruiting class size account for Dozier going pro or does his final decision open up a spot if he goes NBA?

Or did he already declare, i think he could make more money staying and make sure he gets drafted as high as possible big diff on #30 and #10.

I hope he doesn't, if he signs them he needs to develop them. Remember these players have been practicing all year and helping the team in that way
Sentiment can't play into it. If you've got people who can never play at this level and can replace them with people who can, you aren't doing your job if you don't help those who are in over their heads to find another situation.

Reactions: lawcalcock
I do not like when posters do this. It leads to speculation and denigrating our own. FM knows his roster and his kids better than we do.

I will give an example, Temarcus Blanton is a young man who has contributed very little on the court. He basically had a hip injury that was worse than Bo Jackson's. He is two years out from surgery and still has a noticeable limp and can barely jump. He is still rehabbing and is an example of perseverance that FM points out almost every day to the team. He has a year of eligibility left, is on schedule to graduate and wants to be a coach. His worth to the team and program cannot be measured in points scored and minutes played.

What part of the word "might" can't you comprehend...We are all aware of Temarcus situation...The medical hardship rule is there for cases like him..No one wants to begrudge him his opportunity to earn a degree...Those 13 scholarships are there for the purpose of winning games..There are other legal avenues for goodwill ventures

Noticing players that can't help us win is not denigration of our own...It's common sense to notice a JUCO that can't even earn a few minutes PT to protect a starter in foul trouble..Freshmen have to develop most of the time...JUCO's are brought in for immediate help..When they can't help it is an obvious evaluation error...CFM was in a tough spot last spring and had to make some quick choices to rebuild the roster...Obviously he didn't bat 100%...A chance to correct mistakes would not frustrate CFM in my humble opinion...

Yeah speculating over which kids deserves to lose their scholarship(that by the way is guaranteed for 4 years at USC) is denigrating your own.

Reactions: aj&uscgrad
Sentiment can't play into it. If you've got people who can never play at this level and can replace them with people who can, you aren't doing your job if you don't help those who are in over their heads to find another situation.

Agree 100%...Don't understand why some fans don't understand the necessity of being practical if you want to win...One would hope our success on the court will increase our prospect pool and allow more consistency in evaluations...But if you miss on a few, correcting those errors in a decent fashion is prudent...No one has suggested running kids off for the heck of it

Yeah speculating over which kids deserves to lose their scholarship(that by the way is guaranteed for 4 years at USC) is denigrating your own.

No it's not...If they can't play their presence on the roster is denigrating the program..It's the coaches job to compile a championship caliber roster...Fans are not required to paint a rosey picture by ignoring players that simply can't get it done at this level...It's more a critique of the HBCs recruiting than it is of the player..I don't know of a single player that held up a HBC at gun point to get a schollie...

If you want to pretend our roster is full of winning SEC quality players, that's your choice..But posters that are willing to see the truth and discuss it honestly don't have to answer to you

Then please never bash a kid for ever decommitting...... he is just being "pratical"
I don't know what "pratical" is...I don't bash kids for decommits....I bash the whole commit/decommit process..There is no honor on either side of the equation...A non committable offer is not an offer...A commitment in recruiting now comes with an expiration date..The whole process is a sham and a disgrace...Recruiters and prospects should honor their word..Millionaire coaches have no business pressuring teenage athletes to dishonor their word

ADVERTISEMENT