ADVERTISEMENT

Recruiting

Like it or not, the truth of the matter is... the Clemson brand is white hot right now. They've been in the CFB Playoffs 3 straight years, won a nat'l title over Bama, and lost a close one to Bama. Doesn't get much better than that. And they've had the luxury of being able to pick and choose in recruiting... small classes, but quality over quantity. Their last 2 classes were only 17 and 14, while other teams were taking the full 25.

But this year, they have the full allotment of schollies to give, and I fear they are going to rack up big time. Everything is lining up - media exposure, top notch facilities, and a stable coaching staff that are relentless in recruiting. Bottom line... if we're going to beat them anytime soon, it will have to be coaching & scheme, because the talent gap is not closing, it's getting bigger.
There's only one football in play at a time. If we can recruit really good football players, and if our seasoned defensive coaches are in the same stratosphere as Brent Mandibles, we can beat them on a given Saturday (or Thursday if it comes to that). "Good" is "Good", regardless of what color you wear.

There's only one football in play at a time. If we can recruit really good football players, and if our seasoned defensive coaches are in the same stratosphere as Brent Mandibles, we can beat them on a given Saturday (or Thursday if it comes to that). "Good" is "Good", regardless of what color you wear.

Which Disney movie is that BS from?

It would really be nice if it was us. Honestly, they've been tough ever since they hired Venables. He has given them an elite defense to go with the weapons they seem to always have on offense. He needs to take a head coaching job and they need to make a bust of a hire.

If Venables was going to leave, it would have been last year. His oldest son just signed with Clemson this past recruiting cycle and they have already offered his youngest son (class of 2020.) Brent is not likely to leave Clemson while his sons are playing there. This would mean he will be there through at least 2024.

If Venables was going to leave, it would have been last year. His oldest son just signed with Clemson this past recruiting cycle and they have already offered his youngest son (class of 2020.) Brent is not likely to leave Clemson while his sons are playing there. This would mean he will be there through at least 2024.
That may be true but I've always heard that he was waiting on the K-State job to open up.

That may be true but I've always heard that he was waiting on the K-State job to open up.

I think K-State is one of the few head coaching jobs he would seriously consider and I do think K-State will come after him with an offer. However, he already makes head coaching money (BV makes $2 million while Snyder makes $3.2) and has stated many times that he prefers to be in the middle of the action calling plays on game day. The head coaching job has turned more into a CEO position with the number of head coaches that call either offensive or defensive plays dwindling every season. Combine that with the fact he would have to leave the school where he gets to coach his son(s) and I would be surprised to see him go.

It is true that no team will stay at the top forever. Just look at Southern Cal, Texas, Miami Florida, New York Yankees, and Tiger Woods. There will come a time when Nick Saban will retire due to ancient age. Also, there will be a time when Tom Brady will retire due to old age. Time stops for no one as it majestically marches on to the future. All the Tide and Patriots fans better brace yourselves for the inevitable!!! "Roll OVER Tide !!!"

Reactions: Scuba_do
Thought Bo Nix was the #1 dual threat QB.

Rivals has Nix as #1 P-P, 247 has him as #3 D-T, ESPN has him as #2 P-P.

Rivals has Phommachanh as #5 D-T, 247 has him as #1 D-T, and ESPN doesn't have him ranked yet.

When 247 averages them together in a composite, which is what you are probably looking at, they translate Nix to #1 D-T and Phommachanh to #3 D-T.

Rivals has Phommachanh as #5 D-T, 247 has him as #1 D-T, and ESPN doesn't have him ranked yet.

When 247 averages them together in a composite, which is what you are probably looking at, they translate Nix to #1 D-T and Phommachanh to #3 D-T.

giphy.gif

Here is the problem: he could be any of the ones above yet he will be the third or forth best QB on CU's roster next year and still ranked higher than anyone on USCs.

Like it or not, they are a special factor in college football right now. Something needs to happen to derail them. Us beating them would be a help, but they might have to be derailed in order for us to beat them. It's a catch-22.

Surely quempsum was involved in the Russian conspiracy some how. You are right, we have to derail them in some manner.

It would really be nice if it was us. Honestly, they've been tough ever since they hired Venables. He has given them an elite defense to go with the weapons they seem to always have on offense. He needs to take a head coaching job and they need to make a bust of a hire.
How many times in a row did SOS beat Venebles?

It is true that no team will stay at the top forever. Just look at Southern Cal, Texas, Miami Florida, New York Yankees, and Tiger Woods. There will come a time when Nick Saban will retire due to ancient age. Also, there will be a time when Tom Brady will retire due to old age. Time stops for no one as it majestically marches on to the future. All the Tide and Patriots fans better brace yourselves for the inevitable!!! "Roll OVER Tide !!!"
You are right and CU will come crashing down too, bank on it.

Crap. Just saw that the taters just got commitments from the #1 dual threat QB in the country and a 5 star WR. Hope our staff can improve our recruiting.

247 just dropped him to second behind Jayden Daniels. It’s still early, plus none of the QBs are rated very high compared to the last few years.

How is this a problem? You should be pretty pleased.

well, with a daughter going to USC next year, as hard as is for me to say it, I want USC to beat every opponent but one each year until she graduates. That is not going to happen if they don't bring in better players. Who was the last player they brought in that was even in the conversation about being the best at his position? Clowney? How many years ago was that? 6 or 7?

well, with a daughter going to USC next year, as hard as is for me to say it, I want USC to beat every opponent but one each year until she graduates. That is not going to happen if they don't bring in better players. Who was the last player they brought in that was even in the conversation about being the best at his position? Clowney? How many years ago was that? 6 or 7?
Yep. Winning was supposed to take care of everything especially bringing in new talent. I just hope we're getting the best of those who've been overlooked by that conversation.

Reactions: CMac3428
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT