ADVERTISEMENT

Recruiting:

gailbar

Sep 7, 2013
In watching our team play last week and seeing Georgia and Clemson on TV today, you can see the difference in talent. They are bigger, faster. Will lost out on some of these guys. He knows what he needs and hopefully in a couple more years we will see that kind of talent at USC. Until then USC is still my team. Hope Georgia and Clemsuz go winless the rest of the year.

Reactions: ezcock and Judson1
It’s like showing up late to the draft every year. The best guys have been picked over.

There is a little crack in the armor with Clemson starting next year. Their defensve line will be a work in progress with what they lose this year and it appears the recruiting is starting to slip based on who is committed for next year. I see a lot of 3 stars.

They will be tough as nails this year though.

Reactions: funktavious
There is a little crack in the armor with Clemson starting next year. Their defensve line will be a work in progress with what they lose this year and it appears the recruiting is starting to slip based on who is committed for next year. I see a lot of 3 stars.

Apparently you don't know Clemson. Their backups are better than the starters. Just ask them. The further you go down the depth chart, the more talented they get. The defensive lineman that they haven't even offered yet is going to be the best ever.

I do not know the guidelines about college football recruiting. My question is, is there an opportunity that South Carolina benefited from an unexpected game cancellation that they could use for recruiting and scouting purposes?

The biggest thing I see is that there is going to be a huge drop off at the DT position. They haven't recruited that position well the last 3 cycles and their best prospect transferred here.

It will be along rebuild because we will not compromise integrity. In other words, we do not or plan to have a New Springs Church. There in lies the difference.

Or a schedule that allows you to rack up wins and go to nice postseason games (thus making an easy sell to recruits) Especially next year. Our schedule may very well be toughest in the country then.

The talent of Georgia’s line backers, cornerbacks, and safeties were way better than ours. All three groups can tackle like wild beasts and their coverage skills were superb. And couple that with their elite speed just makes their defensive super daunting. Our defense desperately needs two terrorizing pass rushing defensive ends to have any impact. Hopefully, Pickens will be one of the two.

Reactions: king ward
It will be along rebuild because we will not compromise integrity. In other words, we do not or plan to have a New Springs Church. There in lies the difference.
I disagree. That’s just an excuse for not recruiting at the elite level of Clemp or UGA. If Boom can’t significantly upgrade our talent, he doesn’t deserve to be paid the millions he is being paid. Boom has upgraded our talent, to be sure. But, we’re still nowhere near the best SOS years. Plus, he is nowhere near the game day coach SOS was. That’s the ultimate problem. Even with superior talent, he still hasn’t proven he can win big games. In other words, he hasn’t yet shown that he is a championship coach. I’m still behind him, but I’m still very skeptical.

Next year Clemson will have defensive line bookends named Thomas and Henry. They were 5-star recruits with a year under their belt.

I disagree. That’s just an excuse for not recruiting at the elite level of Clemp or UGA. If Boom can’t significantly upgrade our talent, he doesn’t deserve to be paid the millions he is being paid. Boom has upgraded our talent, to be sure. But, we’re still nowhere near the best SOS years. Plus, he is nowhere near the game day coach SOS was. That’s the ultimate problem. Even with superior talent, he still hasn’t proven he can win big games. In other words, he hasn’t yet shown that he is a championship coach. I’m still behind him, but I’m still very skeptical.
Right!!! He hasn’t won one big game yet.

Reactions: uscnoklahoma2
UGA has it easy when it comes to recruiting. Clemson's recruiting has gotten better as they've become more successful. For a while we were pulling in similarly rated classes. Muschamp had a hard sell when he arrived. We were coming off of a 4 win season and he had been labeled a failure for his time at UF. Even with that I think he has done a good job with recruiting so far and each class seems to get better and we continue to look better as a team(with the exception of the UGA game). If we continue to see results on the field the recruiting will continue to get better as Muschamp proves his detractors wrong.

'Champ has a long rebuild. He has improved the roster in his 3yrs thus far, but still has work to do.
I do believe that. And I believe he knows how to build a roster.

I also think that Spurrier would be salivating to play every week with the offensive weapons we have right now.

Right!!! He hasn’t won one big game yet.
He upset Mich last year, due primarily to Mich’s 2d half meltdown. That’s what it take for us to upset UGA or Clemp. He hasn’t proven to me yet that he can beat a superior team through coaching. Meanwhile, he hasn’t beaten UGA, Clemp, aTm or UK yet. In fact, he hasn’t been competitive with Clemp.

Look, I don’t want to get into a discussion where I’m trashing our coach. I support him and the program. But, I have not yet developed any faith that he can out-coach another great coach with equal or greater talent. I’m not saying that it cannot happen, but he needs to show me.

The “not showing up” thing for klempson has to end. If we have a similar effort as the last two years....

He upset Mich last year, due primarily to Mich’s 2d half meltdown. That’s what it take for us to upset UGA or Clemp. He hasn’t proven to me yet that he can beat a superior team through coaching. Meanwhile, he hasn’t beaten UGA, Clemp, aTm or UK yet. In fact, he hasn’t been competitive with Clemp.

Look, I don’t want to get into a discussion where I’m trashing our coach. I support him and the program. But, I have not yet developed any faith that he can out-coach another great coach with equal or greater talent. I’m not saying that it cannot happen, but he needs to show me.

Yeah mich wasn’t a good team period. They lost to every team they played with a pulse. I hope champ can get it done! We will see.

Reactions: king ward

BTW, we have the same number of Newspring churches in Columbia (2) as they do in Clemson/Anderson... Don't spew off at the mouth without knowing what you're talking about.

SOS had the following record in his first 5 years at our beloved school. 7-5, 8-5, 6-6, 7-6, 7-6 going 2-3 against Clemson and 1-3 in bowl games. You are comparing Will to SOS's years 6-9 to Will's years 1-2. You do not have enough data to compare Will to Steve at this point. And Steve blew plenty gameday calls. Remember Arkansas? SOS was our best.. Will hasn't been there long enough. If he is 7-6 in year 5, let's talk.

SOS had the following record in his first 5 years at our beloved school. 7-5, 8-5, 6-6, 7-6, 7-6 going 2-3 against Clemson and 1-3 in bowl games. You are comparing Will to SOS's years 6-9 to Will's years 1-2. You do not have enough data to compare Will to Steve at this point. And Steve blew plenty gameday calls. Remember Arkansas? SOS was our best.. Will hasn't been there long enough. If he is 7-6 in year 5, let's talk.
This is a very fair point.

Last edited:
As of right now, Will and Steve have the same record in their first 2 seasons. That is with Will inheriting less. I don't think I'm going out on a limb by saying that Will will have more wins in 5 seasons than what Spurrier had. Let's hope that Will can get us back to where we were during seasons 6-9 under Steve. Hopefully it doesn't take 6 years to get there though.

Where do yall get this from? Check out our recruiting rankings. Muschamp inherited a better situation minus the 3-9 record. Vastly better facilities and he didn't have to run off half the team like SOS did. Also, the EAST is trash right now. It was a BEAST when SOS was here. I would bet Spurrier would've loved to have played in this watered down East. And let's be honest there's not a soul on here who thinks Champ is going to outcoached a superior team. When SOS was here though we always thought we had a chance. I never felt like we were out of game. That being said I hope I'm wrong...dead wrong.

As of right now, Will and Steve have the same record in their first 2 seasons. That is with Will inheriting less. I don't think I'm going out on a limb by saying that Will will have more wins in 5 seasons than what Spurrier had. Let's hope that Will can get us back to where we were during seasons 6-9 under Steve. Hopefully it doesn't take 6 years to get there though.

You are having a little selective memory here. Steve’s first five years were what they show to be. Nothing more. We were hopeful but we always are and always will be. That’s what makes us.....us. SOS lost to Vandy his third year. This sounds like I’m hating on SOS. I’m not I love him and what he did for us. But using him to limit our belief in Will is misleading at this point.

We have big time talent on our offensive side especially at the receiver position. There is no excuse for being so ineffective. We should be scoring points in bunches on just about anyone. Defense is rebuilding. Offense doesn’t have that excuse. Champ tied himself to this oc hire/promotion. Hope i am wrong but i think it might be a missed opportunity. Spurrier, as bad as he dropped the ball, in the end would score 40 points a game with this receiving crew. Jake still has not developed. Don’t really understand that. Don’t think we are going to outscheme anyone. Better out recruit them. That’s not happening yet.

I do believe that. And I believe he knows how to build a roster.

I also think that Spurrier would be salivating to play every week with the offensive weapons we have right now.
He had better offensive weapons during his best years here than Champ has now. He had a better quarterback, a premier running back, and a receiver who might wind up in the Pro Football Hall of Fame.

Last edited:
Where do yall get this from? Check out our recruiting rankings. Muschamp inherited a better situation minus the 3-9 record. Vastly better facilities and he didn't have to run off half the team like SOS did. Also, the EAST is trash right now. It was a BEAST when SOS was here. I would bet Spurrier would've loved to have played in this watered down East. And let's be honest there's not a soul on here who thinks Champ is going to outcoached a superior team. When SOS was here though we always thought we had a chance. I never felt like we were out of game. That being said I hope I'm wrong...dead wrong.
The East was more of a Beast when Spurrier was at Florida.

You are having a little selective memory here. Steve’s first five years were what they show to be. Nothing more. We were hopeful but we always are and always will be. That’s what makes us.....us. SOS lost to Vandy his third year. This sounds like I’m hating on SOS. I’m not I love him and what he did for us. But using him to limit our belief in Will is misleading at this point.
Tell you the truth, we never did see the kind of offense that Spurrier had at Florida. The Fun N Gun never made it up here.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT