ADVERTISEMENT

Recruiting

uscjunkie36

Aug 21, 2009
I want to begin by saying nothing against the kids who have committed to USC but we all know you don't ascend to the top of the SEC or beat Clemson with 3-star recruiting. It is starting to feel like the Holtz days where the roster is all 3-star guys and the occasional big fish. He couldn't compete and neither will Muschamp at this pace.

You need to see the big picture with the 3* commitments. They are 17 and 18 year old players who will grow with coaching and maturity it's mostly about 2 to 4 years down the road and growth potential. They all were offered by some good schools for the same reasons. They won't look the same in 2 years and won't be the same player. Remember Deebo a former 3* recruit it worked out for everyone. Besides there's go assurance any high star will pan out. There's much to be said about hard work and desire. Seldom a freshman really contributes in his first season. Welcome aboard.

Guys tough pill to swallow but ... we are a 4 win team with a lame duck coach and not a lot to be excited about . Not to mention we have two juggernauts recruiting in our backyard and now UT and UNC are recruiting lights out as well . I think we are lucky to be getting 3 stars honestly . It is what it is

You need to see the big picture with the 3* commitments. They are 17 and 18 year old players who will grow with coaching and maturity it's mostly about 2 to 4 years down the road and growth potential. They all were offered by some good schools for the same reasons. They won't look the same in 2 years and won't be the same player. Remember Deebo a former 3* recruit it worked out for everyone. Besides there's go assurance any high star will pan out. There's much to be said about hard work and desire. Seldom a freshman really contributes in his first season. Welcome aboard.
He not talking about individuals. Of course some 3☆ pan out to be elite players. He's talking about the Class as a whole. Boom is consistently finishing about 8th or 9th in the Conference in recruiting. Teams that consistently recruit at that level don't win SEC Championships. The big picture is were not getting any closer to the Elite teams.

We can spin it, and try to see the [potential] bright side of bringing in 3*s, but the fact of the matter is; while we are busy beating out DII schools and other absolute nobodies for 3* players, the championship-winners and ranked teams year-in and year-out are pulling in 4* and 5* players. There’s a consistent, absolute, and tangible correlation.
Who knows though; maybe...... hopefully CWM finishes up the class strong with a flurry of 4*s! Fingers crossed!

same can be said for the four and five star guys uga and clemson are hauling in.

The only way to get out of the hole is to overachieve with the talent you have on hand. Winning will result in better recruiting. The question is do we have the coaching staff in place to overachieve?

We are in a debacle thanks to Ray Tanner not having credible coaches on his list beyond Tom Herman and Kirby Smart. Why the BOT made Tanner AD is a mystery. I guess because Tanner won 2 national championships, the BOT felt they owed him. Those 2 baseball national championships have come back to bite our football program in the rear end.

The thing is Muschamp hasn't shown any ability to "coach em up".

Guys tough pill to swallow but ... we are a 4 win team with a lame duck coach and not a lot to be excited about . Not to mention we have two juggernauts recruiting in our backyard and now UT and UNC are recruiting lights out as well . I think we are lucky to be getting 3 stars honestly . It is what it is
Tennessee's recruiting class is loaded with 3 stars.

Yep. I can't imagine the negative recruiting from Tennessee and the rest.

And at least 9 four stars...sc has what? 1?
Come back when our class is full like Tennessee. We have 3 or 4 that are very close to 4 stars now. They will be soon.. Recruiting rankings are meaningless right now .. Hit me up in December and if we aren't in the top 22 I'll buy you a bottle of whiskey.

True but they have a bunch of 4 stars also just like UNC . No bueno
Come back when our class is full and the rankings at the end of the year is updated. If we aren't in the top 22 then I'll join you. Like always we will get there and when and if we start winning, we will see a boost in recruiting..

Come back when our class is full and the rankings at the end of the year is updated. If we aren't in the top 22 then I'll join you. Like always we will get there and when and if we start winning, we will see a boost in recruiting..

I hope we get in top 22. Does depend on the season I believe. Plus many on here with daily insults won’t respond if we do.
Many pretty much insulted our last class even with Dory and Burch and Lloyd and Kaba etc
Lots of trolls or even worse if they are actually not trolls.

Reactions: Expro19
He not talking about individuals. Of course some 3☆ pan out to be elite players. He's talking about the Class as a whole. Boom is consistently finishing about 8th or 9th in the Conference in recruiting. Teams that consistently recruit at that level don't win SEC Championships. The big picture is were not getting any closer to the Elite teams.
He is consistently 8th in the SEC. 9th is not accurate. He has been closer to 7th than 9th and recruits closely with Tennessee. He has recruited 6 of the top rated 24 players to SC as rated since recruiting started tracking in 2000. Nationally he is a consistent top 20 recruiter.

He is consistently 8th in the SEC. 9th is not accurate. He has been closer to 7th than 9th and recruits closely with Tennessee. He has recruited 6 of the top rated 24 players to SC as rated since recruiting started tracking in 2000. Nationally he is a consistent top 20 recruiter.
How many teams are in the SEC? Getting excited about where you finish in the bottom half is part of the problem.

I hope we get in top 22. Does depend on the season I believe. Plus many on here with daily insults won’t respond if we do.
Many pretty much insulted our last class even with Dory and Burch and Lloyd and Kaba etc
Our last class finished 18th in recruiting. Any other Conference that would be good.. In our division we finished 4th behind GA, FL, TENNI. Overall we finished 8th in the SEC in recruiting. I've responded, were not getting any closer to winning the SEC with Boom.

So you think finishing 4th in the East 8th overall in the Conference is gonna get us the elite talent to win the SEC?

Our last class finished 18th in recruiting. Any other Conference that would be good.. In our division we finished 4th behind GA, FL, TENNI. Overall we finished 8th in the SEC in recruiting. I've responded, were not getting any closer to winning the SEC with Boom.
You can’t spell Bottom without Boom.

Reactions: Tmac069
How many teams are in the SEC? Getting excited about where you finish in the bottom half is part of the problem.
I’m not excited about it, just pointing out where the OP misstated the facts. Keep on complaining about kids who choose to play for SC, I’m certain that will get us to recruiting better than Alabama, Georgia, LSU, Auburn, Texas A&M and Florida.

I’m not excited about it, just pointing out where the OP misstated the facts. Keep on complaining about kids who choose to play for SC, I’m certain that will get us to recruiting better than Alabama, Georgia, LSU, Auburn, Texas A&M and Florida.
If a small message board has that much power in recruiting the school should start shifting money to posters and away from the coaches who clearly don’t make a difference.

i don’t care about top 25 in the country, we need to be top 5 in the sec. top 2-3 in the east.

An elite player here and there can make a huge difference. We have several on our roster and some we hope will surprise. I think the biggest difference for us is the lack of depth. That’s where a lower ranked recruiting class really hurts.

I think talent wise, this year should be our best team in a while. We have the “star rankings” all over the field. I think overall Champ has recruited fairly well. I believe that the future depends on having a good game plan, solid half time adjustments, and preparation.

We beat a Georgia team last year that has greatly out recruited us. It can be done with the players we have. We just need the coaches/players to step up every week to put us in the best position to win. I believe it can be done. If not, major changes in the athletic department need to be made.

Reactions: cadcock
An elite player here and there can make a huge difference. We have several on our roster and some we hope will surprise. I think the biggest difference for us is the lack of depth. That’s where a lower ranked recruiting class really hurts.

I think talent wise, this year should be our best team in a while. We have the “star rankings” all over the field. I think overall Champ has recruited fairly well. I believe that the future depends on having a good game plan, solid half time adjustments, and preparation.

We beat a Georgia team last year that has greatly out recruited us. It can be done with the players we have. We just need the coaches/players to step up every week to put us in the best position to win. I believe it can be done. If not, major changes in the athletic department need to be made.
1. What proven players do you consider to be elite? I agree we've gotten some decent receipts that have potential. But right now I can think of maybe Horn on defense. The offense is gigantic question mark.

2. Regarding the surprising win at Georgia, you can only sneak up on teams for so long. After that, word gets out and no one's going to overlook you. Eventually, you have to beat good teams when they're giving you their best shot.

You, when on a new commitment announcement you declare them just another 3 star that want get us to an SEC Championship. It’s classless.
When did 3 Star become a derogatory term. So stating what a player is ranked is offensive? And I never singled out a individual recruit on winning a Championship. I judge the whole class by where we finish in the Conference rankings.

Reactions: uscnoklahoma2
When did 3 Star become a derogatory term. So stating what a player is ranked is offensive? And I never singled out a individual recruit on winning a Championship. I judge the whole class by where we finish in the Conference rankings.
Clearly I misread the intent behind your “Just another 3 star” comment. Save me your indignation, you are a petty classless hater.

Reactions: carolinamyke
Clearly I misread the intent behind your “Just another 3 star” comment. Save me your indignation, you are a petty classless hater.
So as far as indignation goes, can you look past your own and address what he said? Do you really think we are closing the gap whatsoever with our closest rivals with all these 3 stars? Do you really think we'll ever realistically compete for the SEC? Do you honestly believe we'll ever beat Clemson again with this caliber of athletes and this coaching staff?

I already answered his question with No. I also do not believe calling out a kid as just another 3 star in their commitment thread is the way to get there. It is classless troll behavior. Ultimately it falls on the coaches to get us there, if they don't get us there then find new coaches. If the talent they recruit doesn't pan out then they get fired. Trash the multimillionaire coaches and leave the kids who choose to play for my University alone.

Reactions: carolinamyke
I already answered his question with No. I also do not believe calling out a kid as just another 3 star in their commitment thread is the way to get there. It is classless troll behavior. Ultimately it falls on the coaches to get us there, if they don't get us there then find new coaches. If the talent they recruit doesn't pan out then they get fired. Trash the multimillionaire coaches and leave the kids who choose to play for my University alone.
So how would you suggest fans "trash the multimillionaire coaches" for doing such a pitiful job of recruiting (and, not to mention, winning games) without pointing out the obvious fact that the recruits they have committing are clearly not the difference makers we need to elevate our program?

What verbage would be acceptable to you?

I would suggest to start by not trashing a specific recruit in their commitment thread before they step foot on campus and get a shot at showing what they can do. You want to trash the coaches about not developing the talent they recruit and winning games have at it. I lost a lot of faith in the coaches after sitting in the stands at the Bowl game and getting blown out by Virginia.

Reactions: TheReelEss
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT