ADVERTISEMENT

Remember the Quote

Jon Snow

Dec 17, 2012
“Just an embarrassing little moment that I’m embarrassed about."
“ (Someone) embarrassed me and our team and our program tonight. We will handle it and that won’t happen again.”

Of course, that is Holbrook's semi-famous quote about Carlos Cortez following the 2-0 win at Clemson. I hope these same words are repeated by Ray Tanner during a Late-May press conference as he explains why Holbrook is no longer our coach. Right now, that quote aptly describes my assessment of the Holbrook era: an embarrassing little moment that should be handled and it should not happen again.

Having watched Cortez this year, I have little doubt he mouthed off and made some comment to Clemson's assistant coach. I don't have a problem with Chad benching Cortez for the remainder of the Clemson series.(I wouldn't have done that. I would have disciplined him, but not at the expense of the team. But I don't have a huge issue with Chad going that way.) I don't agree with Chad essentially putting his emotional freshman on blast in the media.

Maybe Chad was feeling rather stately that night. The team was 7-3 and had just taken game 1 at Clemson. Since then, we are 17-12. I'll be sure to listen to see if Chad is embarrassed by Cortez's displeasure with the strike zone on his last at-bat, or his obvious disapproval of the double play call at first.

That pissed me off beyond belief. Chad throws anyone (players and fans) under the bus if he thinks it will put him in a better light.

I may be wrong (and if so, someone please correct me), but I think the audible fan displeasure has been almost entirely directed to Chad. Yet, he pulls the "I don't like it when they get on ___________, he's such a great kid."

Chad, you DO hear upset fans when the bull pen blows a save. You DO hear upset fans when we fail time and time again to lay down a bunt. You DO hear upset fans when we lose series after series after series. And you DO hear upset fans when thye realize that Clemson has bolted past us in the ONE FREAKING SPORT we've been able to hold our heads high about for years.

But, we aren't yelling at the pitcher who serves up the cheese, or the .240 hitting outfielder who can't bunt. We are yelling at you. You inherited a loaded program, with every advantage you could ask for. You have great facilities, a huge and passionate fan base, and a recent-history that allows for recruiting success.

Fans like this have high (sometimes too high) expectations. But if you can't handle it when your fan base thinks you are underachieving...go coach Rec League. Those parents are pretty nice.

I may be wrong (and if so, someone please correct me), but I think the audible fan displeasure has been almost entirely directed to Chad. Yet, he pulls the "I don't like it when they get on ___________, he's such a great kid."

Chad, you DO hear upset fans when the bull pen blows a save. You DO hear upset fans when we fail time and time again to lay down a bunt. You DO hear upset fans when we lose series after series after series. And you DO hear upset fans when thye realize that Clemson has bolted past us in the ONE FREAKING SPORT we've been able to hold our heads high about for years.

But, we aren't yelling at the pitcher who serves up the cheese, or the .240 hitting outfielder who can't bunt. We are yelling at you. You inherited a loaded program, with every advantage you could ask for. You have great facilities, a huge and passionate fan base, and a recent-history that allows for recruiting success.

Fans like this have high (sometimes too high) expectations. But if you can't handle it when your fan base thinks you are underachieving...go coach Rec League. Those parents are pretty nice.
You're correct. Most every post here and every tweet I've read are directed toward CH and the staff.

He needs to learn how to be a better loosing coach. Seems to be the path he's on so he better adjust.

Reactions: Jon Snow
Dealing with all the $&@% so your kids don't have to is:

A) A fact of being a HC
B) Getting paid $400k to do so

I wish I could like this post a thousand times.

“Just an embarrassing little moment that I’m embarrassed about."
“ (Someone) embarrassed me and our team and our program tonight. We will handle it and that won’t happen again.”

Of course, that is Holbrook's semi-famous quote about Carlos Cortez following the 2-0 win at Clemson. I hope these same words are repeated by Ray Tanner during a Late-May press conference as he explains why Holbrook is no longer our coach. Right now, that quote aptly describes my assessment of the Holbrook era: an embarrassing little moment that should be handled and it should not happen again.

Having watched Cortez this year, I have little doubt he mouthed off and made some comment to Clemson's assistant coach. I don't have a problem with Chad benching Cortez for the remainder of the Clemson series.(I wouldn't have done that. I would have disciplined him, but not at the expense of the team. But I don't have a huge issue with Chad going that way.) I don't agree with Chad essentially putting his emotional freshman on blast in the media.

Maybe Chad was feeling rather stately that night. The team was 7-3 and had just taken game 1 at Clemson. Since then, we are 17-12. I'll be sure to listen to see if Chad is embarrassed by Cortez's displeasure with the strike zone on his last at-bat, or his obvious disapproval of the double play call at first.
Drama queen alert immediately above.

Drama queen alert immediately above.

Your boy Holbrook is doing just great. Our program hasn't missed a beat since he became head coach and there's not a better coach out there that could do any better. Look out Omaha! Holbrook is coming for ya!

Your boy Holbrook is doing just great. Our program hasn't missed a beat since he became head coach and there's not a better coach out there that could do any better. Look out Omaha! Holbrook is coming for ya!
Now that's much better, Forkcock. Glad to see you coming over to the side of light and hope.

Reactions: tigfan4ever
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT