ADVERTISEMENT

Remember this baseball team?

sclawman77

Jun 27, 2011
Bad to the bone.
2000%20team_zpsmggkrxcn.jpeg

Last edited:
I believe they beat another team from this state while in Omaha Nebraska. I was much younger but seem to recall...

I believe they beat another team from this state while in Omaha Nebraska. I was much younger but seem to recall...
That was the 2002 team. They got shellacked by Georgia Tech in the opening game, but then went on a run to the title game. I think it was one of the most exciting teams Ray fielded.

Reactions: Horseshoe 04
The 2000 team was immensely talented. A group of long-distance bombers at the plate, and excellent pitching.

Carolina lost the Super-Regional at The Sarge to Louisiana-Lafayette. Cocks won the opening game, but could not get the second win, losing the next two games.

Gamecocks went to Omaha for the first time under Tanner in 2002, when they lost their opening game, then fought back through the losers bracket to the Championship game, which they lost to Texas. They dominated Clemson in two elimination games by a combined score of 22 runs to Clemson's 6.

2002 was the final year of single championship games - the NCAA went to the current best of three championship series format in 2003. Carolina simply ran out of gas on the mound against Texas, scoring what should have been enough to win with six runs, but giving up 12.

Last edited:
Reactions: Horseshoe 04
The 2000 team didn't make it to Omaha.
Unfortunately they lost to Louisiana Lafayette 3 - 2 in game three of the super regional. It may have been Ray Tanner's best overall team featuring The Killer B's.

I remember Trip Kelly led off the ninth with a double down the left field line but was stranded at second after 3 straight outs. That team would have been a favorite to win it all but fell just a little short.

Last edited:
The 2000 team didn't make it to Omaha.
Lost to LA-Lafeyette in Supers but started the dominant tradition we come to expect in Carolina baseball. #1 national seed, won 25 SEC regular season games and 56 over all-even with missing Omaha.

Reactions: roosterbell
That Lafayette team would later eliminate Clemson from Omaha.

Kip Bouknight won the Golden Spikes award that year. He's top row, far right.

I remember listening to it on the radio thinking they would at least get tripp kelly in with no outs and he never got to third. That team had 7 weekend sec sweeps. Never done before or since. Ranked number 1 just about the whole season. No doubt they should have won it all in 2000. Then lost in the 3rd game of the supers in 2001 on the rd at stanford by the same 3-2 score. The next 3 years in a row went to omaha and lost in championship game to texas in 2004 cause texas was rested and our pitching was depleted coming up thru losers bracket from the very first game lost to gtech 12-0. That was the last year it was winner take all in a one game format. The following year they changed it to the best 2 out 3 for the title.

They squeezed a guy home from third to win the game. That made it even sweeter.
Yep. Interestingly enough, we were in the exact same position in the prior inning and RT did not call the squeeze. I always thought that's where the La la coach got the idea. Also thought RT changed a little after that.. He got a lot more aggressive in play calling from there on.

he next 3 years in a row went to omaha and lost in championship game to texas in 2004 cause texas was rested and our pitching was depleted coming up thru losers bracket from the very first game lost to gtech 12-0.

In 2004, we fell one game shy of series, falling to eventual champ, Cal State Fullerton in the semis.

In 2004, we fell one game shy of series, falling to eventual champ, Cal State Fullerton in the semis.
Yep, in '04 no one could touch Jason Fletcher for CSF. He was throwing like 130-140 pitches an outing. We finished third-just outside the championship series which started in '03.

Reactions: Rod Dangerfield
Rod DangerfieldWell-Known Member
New

Many people think the 2004 team is the best Ray ever fielded.
I don't share that opinion.
If I were to rank Ray Tanner's top 5 teams....
1-2011
2-2000
3-2010
4-2004
5-2012

Rod...That’s ranking them based on their season finish. The 2000 team was the #1 National seed. Had the most talent (maybe not deeper than 2011). Won 56 games (without going to Omaha) went 25-5 (was the SEC record, until Vandy broke it a few years ago) in the SEC.

Rod DangerfieldWell-Known Member
New

Many people think the 2004 team is the best Ray ever fielded.
I don't share that opinion.
If I were to rank Ray Tanner's top 5 teams....
1-2011
2-2000
3-2010
4-2004
5-2012

Rod...That’s ranking them based on their season finish. The 2000 team was the #1 National seed. Had the most talent (maybe not deeper than 2011). Won 56 games (without going to Omaha) went 25-5 (was the SEC record, until Vandy broke it a few years ago) in the SEC.

I ranked 'em from tip to tap.

The 2000 team was immensely talented. A group of long-distance bombers at the plate, and excellent pitching.

Carolina lost the Super-Regional at The Sarge to Louisiana-Lafayette. Cocks won the opening game, but could not get the second win, losing the next two games.

Gamecocks went to Omaha for the first time under Tanner in 2002, when they lost their opening game, then fought back through the losers bracket to the Championship game, which they lost to Texas. They dominated Clemson in two elimination games by a combined score of 22 runs to Clemson's 6.

2002 was the final year of single championship games - the NCAA went to the current best of three championship series format in 2003. Carolina simply ran out of gas on the mound against Texas, scoring what should have been enough to win with six runs, but giving up 12.

Yep and Texas game was the last time they played a single game for the championship I believe

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT