ADVERTISEMENT

Remembering Crashfreze's post from 2008 (C&P)

AtlasShrugged

Aug 23, 2004
« Crashfreze Cares Issue 13: Guide to Good ParentingAtheist »Why I’m abandoning the Gamecocks
A word of caution. The “Crashfreze Cares” articles are written for fun through the persona of an emotionally disturbed, white trash, virtuoso. This is not “crashfreze” speaking here, this is the creator of “crashfreze” writing. There is a distinction.

Why I’m Abandoning The Gamecocks

Insanity - (in-SAN’-i-tee) (noun, singular)
1. Doing the same thing over and over and expecting a different result.

Players, coaches, A.D.’s and presidents all come and go
But what it feels like to be a winner the Gameocks will never know!

Why? Why are we still losing? I think I have an answer, but I’ll get to that. We have changed everything since I have first realized what it is like to be a passionate Gamecock fan. We joined an awesome conference, we upgraded our facilities, we have gotten A-list coaches, we’ve acquired several ranked recruiting classes, we’ve changed Athletic Directors, we’ve changed presidents and we are still losers. I almost laugh thinking back to this pre-season how upset a lot of Gamecock fans were that every national publication was picking us to finish 4th in the East. Oh, how insulted we were! For years Clemson, Florida and Georgia fans have been telling us Gamecock fans we are delusional and we have bitterly disagreed with them. Truth of the matter is, we are. The University South Florida has had a football program for 10 years and yet if we played them right now they would blow us off of the field. That is pathetic to be honest with you. Ten years.

My History as a Gamecock Fan

Because I’m writing something that criticizes the Gamecocks, there are going to be many people who will dismiss it by saying “you were never a true fan then.” You could not be more wrong, I assure you. For as long as I can remember I have loved USC. When I was in Kindergarten my father got a call at his work telling him I was taking every kid’s boxes of crayons from them and breaking the orange ones (I’m not making this up!) When I was in the sixth grade we got blown out 45-0 by Clemson. I remember crying and then I made the decision to deck myself out in USC gear and carry a USC car flag around with me to school the following Monday knowing that I was going to get picked on. I didn’t care. I was so proud when many people said, “wow you must really love Carolina, I would be embarrassed if I were you.” Each Christmas I would get a daily “The Far Side” calendar for the following year and each year I would take out a marker and write in the bottom right corner of each page how many days were left until football season. Each day I would rip off the next page to reveal how many days were left until kickoff. I could not wait. I was the biggest Gamecock fan in my high school class and it was widely known. USC was the only college I ever applied to. The only one! I never wanted to go anywhere else. I was on the bubble grade-wise in high school and USC rejected my initial application. My guidance counselor called USC and asked them to make an exception and assured them she had never had a student who was a bigger Gamecock fan than I was. In 1996-97 I was a manager for the USC basketball team and I actually own an SEC championship ring. I graduated from USC in 2001 with a degree in History. I would wager I have been to more USC Football, basketball and baseball games then 95% of all other USC fans. Please do not make the mistake of thinking I have never been a true fan.

The Only Two Reasons I’m Giving Up.

1. There are way more important things in life than to be this passionate about sports
Plain and simple; the older I get the less important sports is becoming. My wife and I just had a baby earlier this year and even when we were doing well early on, I was not crazy about spending an entire day away from my wife and daughter. I was less interested in buying them tickets to come along with me because they would be for a.) someone who doesn’t care and b.) someone who is not old enough to know what’s going on. I get to see my little girl very little during the week as it is, I was not digging on giving up an entire Saturday away from her anyway as well. When I was little and going to the games there was a certain magic about them that is just evaporating as I get older. Regardless of how poorly or how well we are doing, it is becoming apparent to me that sports is just not that important is ultimately a waste of time. When I’m on my death bed 70 years from now (God willing) I’m not going to regret not going to Carolina games. I am going to regret missing watching my children grow up or spending more time with them.

2. There is no pride in our school from the athletes
This is the real reason we are losing. I honestly cannot say why our athletes don’t seem to take pride in being a Gamecock but I can tell you for the most part, many of them do not. If we fix this problem, we will become a winner. I was in for a total shock in 1996 when I went to USC. I learned very quickly that being a “Gamecock” was not that big of a deal to the student athletes. As stated earlier, I was a manager for the USC basketball team in 1997 and I own an SEC championship ring. The players, the coaches and the other managers used to rib on me because of how big of a Carolina fan I was. I was so passionate about Gamecock sports I used to get made fun of by athletes and coaches? Are you freaking kidding me? I remember when Tennessee was coming to town and Peyton Manning was making all kinds of records one of my peers jokingly said, “Yeah crash Tennessee is putting extra bodyguards at the Adam’s Mark so you don’t try to go and break Peyton’s legs before the game Saturday.” Fogler used to get onto the guys all the time about wearing gear from other colleges. He also used to get onto them because of what little effort and intensity they practiced with. I had classes with several football players and was surprised to learn they all had a nonchalant attitude about everything. It used to #### me off so badly that we would get crushed on Saturday and then the following Monday have class with players who would laugh and cut up in class and talk about what clubs they went to over the weekend or this or that. It became abundantly clear to me these guys did not give a crap about our athletic program.

It also infuriates me to hear time and time again about how our University alienates its former athletes. I realize Spurrier has gone to great lengths to change that and that is good. However Rick Sanford has said on Teddy’s show before it amazes him that he has never been asked to come and talk to the team and by all standards he is one of the most successful former players. It annoys me that when former players get honored at the games they don’t even wear Carolina colors. Come on guys, you don’t have to wear a gamecock shirt but how about something other than a bright yellow “Ecko” shirt. Why is it that guys like Gaines Adams, who was a consensus top 5 draft choice return for their senior year and we have guys bolt after their sophomore years for second round money? Because Gaines Adams is proud to be a Tiger and he wanted to come back our players didn’t.

There was an article in The State newspaper recently that Spurrier is frustrated because there are still guys on the team that simply do not care. Attitude problems. Loafing on the field. There is no pride in our program or school by several players. Why is it that an athlete like Kenny Irons comes here and gets benched for attitude, lack of effort, etc. and then transfers to Auburn and becomes 1st team All-SEC? Imagine this. You are a freshman at Auburn University and Bo Jackson walks into the locker room and says “It is up to you guys, to uphold our proud legacy here. You are Auburn Tigers now don’t let me down!” People like Bo Jackson, Michael Irving, Herschel Walker, Peyton Manning are #### proud of the colleges they went to. Does Sterling Sharpe ever even confess he’s a USC alumnus? I almost laughed watching the entire Clemson game and the announcer kept saying “Shannon Sharpe’s record”. That right there should let you know something is wrong.

A few years ago I was lucky enough to have lunch with Sidney Rice. He was a fine young man and I was very impressed with his character. The only thing that struck a chord with me was him saying (and I am very much paraphrasing here) “Yeah, Shreveport was horrible. None of us (football players) wanted to be there, there was nothing to do there, it was just a boring place.” To be honest with you, that really pissed me off. We have not been to a bowl game since the 2001 season and all we get is “we didn’t want to be there”? I think that attitude was certainly evident judging by the second half collapse in that game.

My road to giving up on the Gamecocks has less to do with us losing and really began in 1996 when I witnessed first hand that our athletes just did not care. There is something deeply wrong when I care more about Gamecock athletics than the athletes do. If the people playing the games don’t care, why should I care? Frankly I don’t think I should. It makes me really sad when I see players like Corey Boyd, and have personally known players like Bj McKie who really love being a Gamecock. These guys deserve better than to be surrounded by people who don’t care. In short, I am giving up on the Gamecocks because they continue giving up on themselves.

Goodbye

I watched the Clemson game this year with tremendous sadness. Win or lose, I knew after the game I was saying goodbye to something that has been a big part of my life for as long as I can remember. Ever since 1996 I have been doing everything I can think of to try to recapture the magic of football season since before I realized our athletes didn’t care as much as I did. Everything I have tried to think of just simply has not worked. Yet I continue to get fed information that athletes don’t care, even directly from Spurrier himself (The State article). It really makes me sad that I just do not enjoy being a Gamecock fan anymore. I hope Carolina goes on to do great things. I hope they win championships, but I have made up my mind that I will not be along for the ride.

Reactions: RockThrillCock
I will always love my Gamecocks, but yes there are more important things in life than putting all your energy and $$ into it.

I will always love my Gamecocks, but yes there are more important things in life than putting all your energy and $$ into it.
They don't say that in Alabama or Pickens County because they don't have to. They haven't been driven to it. Only the constituents of losers make these kinds of pronouncements.

I have no problem with fans bailing when the Athletic Department doesn't do what it takes to put a good product on the field. Sometimes a little tough love is what it takes to open some eyes. It doesn't mean we don't have loyalty to our school. I'll never be ashamed for graduating from South Carolina. It was some of the best times in my life but the Athletic Department needs an overhaul.

I dozed off reading that thing. Who cares. Everyone is different. I know a couple of Clemson folk who don't care about football. You either enjoy it or you don't. So this guy didn't and walked away. BFD.
I think it's one thing not to care about football at all and another to like it but become disenchanted with your favorite team. But at any rate, your acronym is correct. It's not a big deal and there ARE other things in life. But football fans who support winners don't get disenchanted and don't make the declaration we see above.

Reactions: 1vagamecock
They don't say that in Alabama or Pickens County because they don't have to. They haven't been driven to it. Only the constituents of losers make these kinds of pronouncements.

Are you blaming the guy for making the declaration or just making a point that those schools do not?

Wow I think he has some excellent points. My senior year I had a class with three players( who I won't name ) and they could care less about the team or school . Every day showed up to class fifteen minutes late and laughing and joking around about games they LOST . However , after we lost to Vandy that year for the first time since the ice age , They rolled into class late as usually that Monday . Our freakin professor stopped class and said and I quote " Well guys if you can't show up and beat Vandy , I guess I shouldn't be surprised." Everyone in the classes started cracking up ; they stormed out and we never saw them the rest of the semester ..

I am not discounting what he had to say. I worked with the football team around the time he was there and they really did not care. It was as he said uncool to be all in for USC for many of the people who worked there. I am not sure anything can happen for USC to wake up. The fans still come, the athletes get any girl they want and it goes on and on. I don't know the answer but he has some good points.

Reactions: uscnoklahoma2
I was hoping it was going to be his post about violence being the answer 99.9% of the time lol.

His point #2 is what I have expressed several times in the last three weeks as they get players that want to be Vols or Gators, we get guys that settle for being Gamecocks. Crashfreze’s post is from 2008 but it obviously goes back much further than that. We blame the athletic department, we blame the coaches, we blame the facilities. I don’t have the answer, but it’s pretty obvious what the answer isn’t.

The stuff regarding players not caring about results or not being prideful in their school is not unique to South Carolina. It happens at every school, even at places like Alabama, Clemson, Georgia, etc. Players end up at schools for a number of different reasons, and it’s often a business decision— of various types.

Some guys are at South Carolina because it’s the best offer they had. Others, because it’s close to home, or offered them a chance to start earlier, or they hit it off with their position coach. And there are some, of course, whose dream it was to be a Gamecock— Zacch Pickens being one of those guys.

What happens in every instance, and this is not just true in athletics but in all professions, is that success breeds pride and togetherness. Failure generates remorse and shame. Whether it’s South Carolina, Tennessee, Florida, Mizzou, or any other school that has had some recent ups and downs, you’ll find the players there for the ups to be loyal, prideful, and connected to former teammates. And you’ll find the players who were there for the downs as resentful, distant, and disconnected.

You can be pretty much guaranteed that 95% of the players on scholarship at most of these schools have dedicated most of their youth to football, and want to part of a winning program. When apathy becomes real, it is both a learned behavior and a defense mechanism to failure.

Reactions: tngamecock#
It's simply not "life and death" here. The social, political, and business trappings are life and death. The economic clout and power of USC in Columbia is life and death. Sports are just a diversion and a connection in Columbia. Once you have those two things, the outcomes are expendable.

We are in the game, at the table, rubbing shoulders, invited to the party. Taking part in the conversation. Everything else is gravy.

His first point is inevitable.

I also lived and breathed sports in general and Gamecocks specifically when I was younger. Sleepless nights followed our losses. You just grow out of it. You can't be as into sports when you're older as you were when you were younger.

This^^^ I was the same way with everything Gamecocks and the Braves during the 90's going to the World Series or play off's when they were one of the best, to come out with one 1 Championship...

The 2000 game against Clemson, I couldn't sleep after the no call push off... I was pissed for weeks until the Bowl Game against Ohio State...

Used to go to all the road trips in the 80's, the best worst road trips was back in the 1986 season...

I lost my love for Carolina after Spurrier quit on the team because those wonderful years 2009 - 2013 seasons, I knew Carolina football will never reach the pinnacle of College Football and I was glad I was alive to see the best part of Carolina football ever...

Reactions: JComp
This^^^ I was the same way with everything Gamecocks and the Braves during the 90's going to the World Series or play off's when they were one of the best, to come out with one 1 Championship...

The 2000 game against Clemson, I couldn't sleep after the no call push off... I was pissed for weeks until the Bowl Game against Ohio State...

Used to go to all the road trips in the 80's, the best worst road trips was back in the 1986 season...

I lost my love for Carolina after Spurrier quit on the team because those wonderful years 2009 - 2013 seasons, I knew Carolina football will never reach the pinnacle of College Football and I was glad I was alive to see the best part of Carolina football ever...

Agree with all of this. Success also spoils you. You mentioned the Braves...well, I'm a Yankees fan. All of that success made the regular season seem pointless. I used to eat, sleep and breathe the outcome each of the 162 games. Now I still follow it, but not nearly with the same fervor. Unless we win a WS, I kind of don't care (though it's been quite a while now).

After all of that winning from 2010-2013 under Spurrier, it's downright hard to get fired up for hopefully getting bowl eligible.

If I have seen that stupid statement about Spurrier once on this board, I have seen it a hundred times. It still is a stupid statement. When he was hired he said that as long as what he was doing was working he would stay, but if things went south he would let someone else have their chance. He did exactly what he said he would do. He was simply at the end of the line and he recognized it. Ten years younger, and this would never have happened because he would have been able to find great assistants to replace the ones that left. Why some of you posters on here can't seem to see that is amazing. He fired himself. plain and simple. He was 68/69 when he retired.

If I have seen that stupid statement about Spurrier once on this board, I have seen it a hundred times. It still is a stupid statement. When he was hired he said that as long as what he was doing was working he would stay, but if things went south he would let someone else have their chance. He did exactly what he said he would do. He was simply at the end of the line and he recognized it. Ten years younger, and this would never have happened because he would have been able to find great assistants to replace the ones that left. Why some of you posters on here can't seem to see that is amazing. He fired himself. plain and simple. He was 68/69 when he retired.

I like Spurrier, but he didn’t “fire himself”, he quit. No sense in beating around the bush with semantics.

His immense ego in some ways improved our program, but ultimately his ego was what sunk us. By the time he walked away hoping to salvage a bit of pride our football program had technologically regressed back into the early 1990’s while our competition had taken massive steps forward. Truth be told, our 11 win stretch was due in large part to luck and timing, with probably the best stretch of instate talent coinciding with several of our major competitors for talent either firing HBC’s or sliding somewhat in talent. Take a literal handful of players away, those 11 win seasons never happen, and Spurrier would’ve quit sooner.

And for all of the naysayers here who bitch nonstop about Muschamp, that’s a huge part of what he had to fix. I’m not saying he’s ultimately a good or bad fit here, but the Muschamp haters don’t seem to realize that he had to rebuild every single aspect of the program. We’d literally receded into a 1990 UF time warp, we were antiquated. Every other program was figuratively using super computers while we had regressed to a slide rule.

If Muschamp ultimately doesn’t get the job done, I think he at least has built the foundation stronger for whoever the next guy is.

I like Spurrier, but he didn’t “fire himself”, he quit. No sense in beating around the bush with semantics.

His immense ego in some ways improved our program, but ultimately his ego was what sunk us. By the time he walked away hoping to salvage a bit of pride our football program had technologically regressed back into the early 1990’s while our competition had taken massive steps forward. Truth be told, our 11 win stretch was due in large part to luck and timing, with probably the best stretch of instate talent coinciding with several of our major competitors for talent either firing HBC’s or sliding somewhat in talent. Take a literal handful of players away, those 11 win seasons never happen, and Spurrier would’ve quit sooner.

And for all of the naysayers here who bitch nonstop about Muschamp, that’s a huge part of what he had to fix. I’m not saying he’s ultimately a good or bad fit here, but the Muschamp haters don’t seem to realize that he had to rebuild every single aspect of the program. We’d literally receded into a 1990 UF time warp, we were antiquated. Every other program was figuratively using super computers while we had regressed to a slide rule.

If Muschamp ultimately doesn’t get the job done, I think he at least has built the foundation stronger for whoever the next guy is.

I’ve gone both ways on this over the years. When I’m grumpy about the state of our program, the he quit. When I’m feeling sentimental and remembering the good old day, then I’m not so resentful.

But your post is spot on. Spurrier knew he’d mad his bed and didn’t want to lie in it any longer.

I can’t even bring myself to watch highlights from those teams. It’s so sad where we are now in comparison.

I'm sure everything this guy wrote is true and he believes it. I know a handful of USC athletes (all the way back to the 60's and up to early 2000s that are passionate about USC and their time at school. To be completely fair to this post, only two are football players, two are basketball (one women's player) and the rest are baseball.

I'm sure everything this guy wrote is true and he believes it. I know a handful of USC athletes (all the way back to the 60's and up to early 2000s that are passionate about USC and their time at school. To be completely fair to this post, only two are football players, two are basketball (one women's player) and the rest are baseball.

I remember when Lou came here he got pissed because a big chunk of the football team was wearing FSU apparel

My memory might be wrong, but I believe if you look it up, you will see that Spurrier said that about himself though after the fact.

My memory might be wrong, but I believe if you look it up, you will see that Spurrier said that about himself though after the fact.

Yes, he did admit a lot of his shortcomings.

But it bears repeating, because if you read a lot of comments on this board we still have a large number of posters who are still dumbfounded as to how our program went over the abyss while Clemson’s was rising.

Reactions: kidrobinski

Most people just assumed he would pull the trigger after the season was over, not on Tuesday of a game week. He left with his tail dragging b/c his ego was too big to take on the sure fire losses he knew were coming and he didn’t want to have any more L’s on his record.

Spurrier was a great scheme guy and as good of a game day play caller as there ever was. He wasn’t really in to recruiting like some through out his career, and he was even less engaged the last 3-4 years.

I remember watching a show on him, i think it may have been Feherety on the golf channel. Spurrier talked about playing golf and his love for it and how all of his coaching buddies put so much time into recruiting and football stuff during the off season and he just wasn’t going to do that.

He was pretty much making fun of them for giving all of their time to football and not taking time to play golf. I knew then, it was just a matter of time.

Well we all know that golf is a time consuming sport and most guys just don’t have 4 hour chunks of time to give multiple times per week, but The ole ball coach did.

Once he started winning with with gamecocks, he decided to semi retire and he was the last few years.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT