ADVERTISEMENT

***Reminder: New message boards at MIDNIGHT

Chris Clark

Football/Recruiting Insider
Jan 3, 2005
As a reminder, new message boards are coming to GamecockCentral.com at midnight ET tonight (so the start of Tuesday a.m.)

***FROM midnight until about 6 a.m., the message boards will be READ ONLY (so no new posts during that six hour or so timeframe) during the transitional period only.****

While the basics are still the same in terms of how to post, etc, there are added features and some things that are different about it. It's a huge upgrade from the current message boards and in the messages below that were already posted you can get a peek at some of the new features and the look.

I'm positive that many members will have questions. When you have questions, please either a) post a message directly to us on The Insiders Forum with specifics on what you need help with or b) email me at clark@gamecockcentral.com. You do not need to call Rivals customer service or anything of that sort. We'll take as much time as needed to walk everyone through any questions about how to operate the boards, new features, or whatever it may be.

By the way, Rivals will also be providing tutorials on how to operate the boards that should prove helpful and those will be up as well.

Again, please reach out with any questions once the new boards hit. If you don't like to post on the board, just email me. Don't wonder what's going on, hold off on questions, or whatever it may be. I'm an open book to help folks. Thanks for being a member!
This post was edited on 4/19 5:46 PM by Chris Clark

This post was edited on 4/19 6:40 PM by Chris Clark

This post was edited on 4/20 7:07 AM by Chris Clark

This post was edited on 4/20 6:51 PM by Chris Clark

Re: ***New message board announcement***

Originally posted by Chris Clark:
I know many of you have been waiting to hear when, exactly, the new message board format/upgrade would be live on GamecockCentral.com and the Rivals.com network. This is a big undertaking for the network (of course everything has been done at the Rivals national level in terms of working this) and so behalf of our staff we appreciate everyone's patience.

That said, we are being told that Rivals.com will roll out the new message boards beginning on Wednesday, April 15. That will be a rollout of a new "The Main Board" on the national side of things.

Following that will be releases of team site message boards on the following Wednesday, April 20. So, it appears that the plan is to have a new message board here on GamecockCentral.com on April 20.

This is an upgrade that, I know you all agree, has been long-awaited and is much needed. It will include everything from an updated look to upgraded mobile capability to ease in posting pictures/embedding videos and much more.

The content here on the website will be the same that you're all accustomed to from the GC team, just on a much better looking and much more practical platform. We're excited about the changes and cannot wait for everyone to see it.

By the way, we'll be here every step of the way to answer any questions and there will be tutorials readily available as well.

Thanks so much to everyone for being a member; make sure you let your friends/family/fellow Gamecock fans know about our coverage here and about the new improvements coming your way.
Do they really need The Main Board?

Is it going to be easier to post images with the upgrade?

Originally posted by pepsicock:
The main board is full of trolls and garbage . Never post on that trash
I post there but you are right. It seems to cater to the lowest common denominator of humans. There have been some interesting threads. The Kennedy assassination is first to come to mind.
If you post, some idiot will almost immediately attack you and try to twist the meaning of your post.

Originally posted by Gamecock Lifer:
Is it going to be easier to post images with the upgrade?
Yes indeed.

Courtesy of Rivals.com CEO Eric Winter, here is a bit more on what to expect in terms of functionality from the new boards:

1. They are a responsive design[/B]; meaning, they were designed for desktop, tablets and mobile - all in one design and all at the same URL. No need to go to a different address to get the proper version for your device

2. They have a modern, secure and actively maintained framework built for speed & stability

3. There will be no limit on Thread History, so you can reference old topics or replies at any time

4. There is Private Messaging, Social Profiles and Rich(er) Content - embeddable video, embeddable Tweets, etc

5. You now can set up alerts and follow users so you don't miss replies to topics you're participating in or miss great posts from your favorite users. In yourNews Feed you'll be able to see all of the topics, users, and content that you wish to follow.

6. Dynamic quoting system so what you select within a thread can be quoted without copying and pasting any code. You select what you want to quote and click Reply over that selection, and it will be put automatically in your reply. You can quote multiple posts and automatic quoting is set up so that you can always follow the conversation with a user forgetting to quote.

7. Improved navigation and search : quickly jump to the first unread post in a thread or to the top and bottom of each thread. Advanced search features include by keyword, date or thread title.

Once we launch Thursday morning, you will notice a pinned post titled: "Help! How Do I ... for the New Rivals.com Message Boards." Click on that link and you will have numerous threads walking you through everything you need to help make your Message Board experience a truly fun and dynamic one.

Above anything else I hope after the upgrade we can simply "browse" then "click" to post a picture. This is embarrassingly antique and quite chintzy to have to upload a picture to a host such as photobucket or something, then go retrieve and paste the code, all to simply post a picture. Even the smallest social sites give a "browse & click" to post pictures. Fingers crossed this will improve.

Please define #4: Esp. the private messaging...

"4. There is Private Messaging, Social Profiles and Rich(er) Content - embeddable video, embeddable Tweets, etc"

Originally posted by cocknjax:

"4. There is Private Messaging, Social Profiles and Rich(er) Content - embeddable video, embeddable Tweets, etc"
I'm not sure of the nuts and bolts of social profile, but I assume it will be an upgraded version of the "FanPage" that exists right now.

Private messaging will be capability to send messages from poster to poster privately, not just on the message board for everyone to see.

Embeddable video and tweets - if you see a tweet you want to post on the message board you will simply be able to link it and it will show up in a post in an easy to see way. Same for video. Instead of linking a video link, the video itself will be in a post.

Originally posted by cocknjax:

I'm not sure of the nuts and bolts of social profile, but I assume it will be an upgraded version of the "FanPage" that exists right now.

Private messaging will be capability to send messages from poster to poster privately, not just on the message board for everyone to see.[/I]

Embeddable video and tweets - if you see a tweet you want to post on the message board you will simply be able to link it and it will show up in a post in an easy to see way. Same for video. Instead of linking a video link, the video itself will be in a post.
That should lead to some lively exchanges..

Originally posted by jerryusc:
I post there but you are right. It seems to cater to the lowest common denominator of humans. There have been some interesting threads. The Kennedy assassination is first to come to mind.
If you post, some idiot will almost immediately attack you and try to twist the meaning of your post.
Kind of like FGF?

Just saw this thread, typically use the mobile version and it's much harder to use, would love to see some improvements there.

Just looked at MB and I don't like the changes. To ignore an idiot poster you have to click on them. If they had kept the old format with the new changes, I would like it better. You don't have a choice of how many threads per page.

looking forward to it. Nice job rolling it out on 4/20.

Will there still be a place for cheap-o's like me to talk free Gamecock-only sports?

Originally posted by GamecockGarnet:
Just saw this thread, typically use the mobile version and it's much harder to use, would love to see some improvements there.
If you use mobile, then the new message board format with basically auto-recognize that you're on mobile.

In other words: if you head to FGF from your browser, then it will be the mobile site automatically (which looks the same as the desktop version, just functions much better on mobile). No need to hit mobile.gamecockcentral.com, or whatever mobile address you access, to get here.

In short, it will be much improved from a look standpoint and especially feature-wise on mobile.

Originally posted by HI Cock:
looking forward to it. Nice job rolling it out on 4/20.

Will there still be a place for cheap-o's like me to talk free Gamecock-only sports?
smile.r191677.gif

FGF will still be here, yes. No changes in the actual boards, just in how they look and function.

By the way, if you're a cheap-o then you still fit in on The Insiders Forum. It's about a quarter a day and the price hasn't gone up since the site went pay years and years ago!
3dgrin.r191677.gif

Another reminder, and here are some of the new features to expect:

Better media embedding so you can share pictures, videos, tweets, vines, Instagram, Youtube videos, etc.Private messaging for both users and the staff to contact you when you've been bad.Mobile experience is nearly identical to the desktop version so links and media will be much easier to share and you can use other features like "ignore" and private messaging.User profiles are easy to create and view.Email notifications when people respond to your posts or when there are new posts to any thread you choose to "watch". Can be turned off.Copying and pasting most web pages will now appear correctly in your messages.Polls can be posted on the top or sides of the board.Archives of past messages could go back years.Ability to share posts or threads via social media.A "like" feature so people can let you know what they think of your posts without the abusive star rankings we had previously.You can use the @ symbol before a person's username and they will receive an alert that you're trying to talk with them.Preview posts before posting them live."Warn" button so you can alert mods to abusive posts or simply to cause problems for people that have different views from your own.When you reply to a message it will automatically quote the text from the message your responding to. This will help eliminate the problem of people struggling to follow a conversation.Multi-quotes so you can respond to multiple messages at once.Spoiler option so you can hide certain texts if you don't want to give away the final score of a game or ending to show or movie.More smilies and emjois.Threads can be listed by start date, replies, views or by the most recently updated thread.You can exit the board before submitting a new post and when you return you can continue the message where you left off. Your message is saved in "drafts".You can search individual threads, the current forum you're using or all forums on the site. You can also search for users, search by date and more.When you open a thread that you've previously read it will auto-scroll to the new messages you haven't seen.Better avatars and you will see them on the front page of the forum for who started the thread and if you responded it will also show you your pic so you can easily pick out your threads.You earn points for likes, quality posts, etc.You can drag pictures from anywhere on the Internet and drop them into your posts. You can also copy and paste images from the internet.Use permalink (small icon on each message at the bottom right hand side) to link directly to a post on a thread. By clicking the icon you can also choose to share the direct link to one of your social media accounts.

Will it be easier to get in touch with mods if you get banned for reasons that don't fall within the rules or will that contact info still be hidden like proprietary, top secret, FOUO data?

Originally posted by Cock_Donor:
Will it be easier to get in touch with mods if you get banned for reasons that don't fall within the rules or will that contact info still be hidden like proprietary, top secret, FOUO data?
I'm not trying to be a smartie here, but contact info for every single person on our site including the moderator team isn't really top secret or hidden. We give it out on the site a lot, but aside from that it's also on our site's contact page under the "More" tab on navigation. Link below for you:

Always feel free to reach out to me personally if you have an issue.

GC contact page

Originally posted by Freddie.B.Cocky:

Originally posted by jerryusc:
Kind of like FGF?
"I am not an animal!"
Elephant+Man+%25281980%2529.jpg

Re: ***Reminder: new message boards on Monday, April 20

Bump, reminder.

Re: ***Reminder: new message boards on Tuesday, April 21

As a reminder, new message boards are coming to GamecockCentral.com on Tuesday, April 21 (overnight on Monday) When you log onto the site on Monday, there will be a different look and functionality.
So Sunday night into Monday or Monday night into Tuesday?

You first say what comes across as Monday into Tuesday but then say when we log in on Monday it will be different which to me comes across as Sunday night into Monday.

Just a little clarification needed here.

Originally posted by GamecockWarrior:
As a reminder, new message boards are coming to GamecockCentral.com on Tuesday, April 21 (overnight on Monday) When you log onto the site on Monday, there will be a different look and functionality.

You first say what comes across as Monday into Tuesday but then say when we log in on Monday it will be different which to me comes across as Sunday night into Monday.

Sorry, forgot to edit that second part.

Nutshell: boards will be different when you log in on Tuesday.

Originally posted by Cocky kebo57:

Will users have to recreate avatar's and/or sig files, etc?
I think both will need to be reset, at least that's my understanding.

We'll be there to help folks do that.

Originally posted by GamecockWarrior:

Sorry, forgot to edit that second part.

Nutshell: boards will be different when you log in on Tuesday.
Thanks for the clarification...I look forward to the update.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT