ADVERTISEMENT

Representing South Carolina in men's basketball SEC media day

FCB 2013 treble

Dec 14, 2016
South Carolina will be sending Hayden Brown and GG Jackson to the SEC media days. I am glad they selected South Carolina as the school they want to attend, but how about send Jacob Wright in place for one of these guys. Wright got to experience last season what it is like to play in the SEC and he did not bolt and transfer after South Carolina' s basketball season was over. Coach Paris temporary earns the boo birds on the decision

While I would understand Jacobi being a pick for media day, I think Coach Paris picked the right two guys. Brown has been a college player for five years and has experience with media days (although on a smaller scale). He is savvy and will say all the right things. With Jackson, does anyone involved with the media care about what South Carolina (....and before anyone goes off on me, I am including myself in this) has to say about basketball without Jackson there? Probably not. Jackson gives a boost to our program that we need to take advantage of at every opportunity. May not seem fair, but it is real life.

While I would understand Jacobi being a pick for media day, I think Coach Paris picked the right two guys. Brown has been a college player for five years and has experience with media days (although on a smaller scale). He is savvy and will say all the right things. With Jackson, does anyone involved with the media care about what South Carolina (....and before anyone goes off on me, I am including myself in this) has to say about basketball without Jackson there? Probably not. Jackson gives a boost to our program that we need to take advantage of at every opportunity. May not seem fair, but it is real life.
From what I understand, Jackson should be a senior in high school so the point I am making is he is very young. I think I am reasonable about what to expect from a first-year player, but some people expectations will be through the roof as a result of the recruiting stars that Jackson has. I would ease him into the program and not put him front and center as a result of he may not meet everyone's expectations and might be unfairly labeled as a failure which could (if Jackson decides to play another year of college) cause Jackson to transfer from South Carolina.

Reactions: DeeDave
From what I understand, Jackson should be a senior in high school so the point I am making is he is very young. I think I am reasonable about what to expect from a first-year player, but some people expectations will be through the roof as a result of the recruiting stars that Jackson has. I would ease him into the program and not put him front and center as a result of he may not meet everyone's expectations and might be unfairly labeled as a failure which could (if Jackson decides to play another year of college) cause Jackson to transfer from South Carolina.

plus, some things you must have to earn. glad we have Jackson but he cant be the focus of everything. that wont be good for him either

Ease him into the program? If everything goes as expected, he won’t be here next year. You are looking at this from a 1980’s perspective. High level kids just don’t stay in a college program long unless they are a bust. Realistically, we are not getting three years out of Jackson. We probably won’t even get two. So, we may as well get as much out of this while we can.

plus, some things you must have to earn. glad we have Jackson but he cant be the focus of everything. that wont be good for him either
Don’t want him to get the big head which he might already have. “Earning it” is a bad phrase in today’s world.

Ease him into the program? If everything goes as expected, he won’t be here next year. You are looking at this from a 1980’s perspective. High level kids just don’t stay in a college program long unless they are a bust. Realistically, we are not getting three years out of Jackson. We probably won’t even get two. So, we may as well get as much out of this while we can.
So we need to drop the “student/athlete” term.

Social anxiety is seems to be peaking post COVID. Many these days don't want the hassle and limelight. Maybe these two are most comfortable behind the mic answering questions.

So we need to drop the “student/athlete” term.
Don’t worry. The NBA will allow kids to enter the league out of high school starting in 2024. My point has always been why force kids into the college system who really don’t want to be there. Let’s be realistic. We know Jackson chose us because he has a better chance for quick playing time and touches in order to put up numbers and move on to the league. You may not like it, but that’s the reality of the situation. With that being the case, it only makes sense for our program to get as much out of this as possible. All a coach can do is hold the kid accountable for the mistakes he may make on and off the court for the short time he has him. Playing ego control games don’t usually work with these type of kids.

Last edited:
My point has always been why force kids into the college system who really don’t want to be there.
I thought that’s why they created the NBDL, the G league and that other league - so they didn’t have to go to college to develop and pretend to be students.

I thought that’s why they created the NBDL, the G league and that other league - so they didn’t have to go to college to develop and pretend to be students.
You may be referring to G-League Ignite. They only take about 3-4 High School kids a year. There is also Overtime Elite, but they are not connected to the NBA and don’t get as much exposure. One year of college is still the best route exposure wise, so most of the high level recruits still go that way. However, they are just using the college program as a platform to move on the next year. That will change in 2024. The top kids out of high school can just get drafted to the league then. However, that still won’t solve the issue with late bloomers. College programs will still have the issue of a late bloomer wanting to leave college after a year or two unless the NBA and the colleges work something out.

Reactions: Neanderthal
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT