ADVERTISEMENT

Restaurant thread.

Can't argue with that statement. Unfortunately, Charleston over the years has become more a nationally marketed city of good food to the point where it just isn't as "homely" as it used to be. At least that's JMHOFWIW. And by all means is Chucktown still good, it just ain't as southernly comfortable as Savannah is nowadays.
Try Bowens Island Seafood. Great food and it's "homely".

Last edited:
I watched the Netflix series and my mouth was watering. Anyone here tried Rodney Scott’s in Charleston? Or Scotts BBQ in Hemingway?
Yes. Both are fantastic! Sadly, Mr. Rosie Scott, the founder passed away right before Christmas. I don’t expect it to affect the business though. After his stroke a few years ago I don’t think he’s been too active in it. But he was there every time I went there with a smile and a handshake. He was a good man. The whole family are all just good people. Rodney is a good friend of mine.

Last edited:
Reactions: Bear_Rooster
I forgot the Exxon station off Billy Graham & I 85 in Charlotte literally adjacent to the Cracker Barrel & putting them to shame.

otherwise I don’t have too many Charlotte highlights, Kings kitchen, Cowfish, Roosters, but these are more place holders than super star
I still drive into Charlotte for work a few times a year. My company is based there though I work from home. I try to get to Cabo Fish Taco in NoDa when I go up there. Never have I been disappointed. Bucca Di Beppo in Pineville is another favorite of ours in the Charlotte area. There's a Shomar's in the university area that I like. And I've never been to a Hickory Tavern I didn't like. Midwood Smokehouse is awesome, though I'm not really into BBQ. I enjoy it occasionally. Alexander Michael's is a cool little bar/restaurant near downtown. Cajun Queen is fantastic.

Reactions: Horseshoe 04
If you find yourself in Garden City/Surfside check out Valentino's. It has little curb appeal as it's in a strip mall. But it's big and nice inside and the Italian food is delicious. I had one of the best pizzas there. It was the cheapest thing on the menu and took half home. Down in Murrells I liked the Inlet Crabhouse. Very casual and great mahi tacos.

I watched the Netflix series and my mouth was watering. Anyone here tried Rodney Scott’s in Charleston? Or Scotts BBQ in Hemingway?
Have not tried Rodney's but Lewis's is phenomenal. He's an Austin guy that started at Franklin's (second only to Snow's for best Q in Texas) and then opened La Barbecue before relocating to Charleston. In addition to wicked good brisket, his corn pudding with hatch chilies is awesome.

I admit 75% of the posts convinced me you people don't know good food. But this caused me to do a double take. Are you serious? Buca di Beppo is a big, extremely low quality Italian chain. It's literally the Italian-American version of Planet Hollywood (It's owned by them). It's basically a lower-quality Olive Garden (maybe on par with Fazoli's if people remember that place?). Some guy asked for Charlotte recommendations and you basically said "There's this great Australian-style steakhouse called Outback. I recommend it."
So not a big fan of Buca di Beppo?

Always enjoyed Cogburn's when I was a student at the University. Also the Elite Epicurean on Main. Good food and they stayed open long hours. A little tonier downtown restaurant that I wish was still in business was The Market on Assembly. Great steaks and lobster.

I still enjoy dining on Front Street in Georgetown...happy food!

Reactions: king ward
Obviously this isn’t in Columbia, but Sweet Basil in Greer in Pelham Rd, beat Bausch & Lomb is freaking amazing. My girlfriends parents took us there when I 1st moved to Greenville. I happened to get my 1st job at Bausch & Lomb and literally ate there all the time. It is great. The Amanda Chicken, with the dumplings as an app. Omg you won’t regret it. Everything you order can be to the spice level you want too. They’ll ask how Spivey you want it. Anyone that tries it, I’d feel like it would become an instant favorite.
Sweet Basil is not really in Greer. It’s on the corner of Hwy 14,Pelham Rd and Batesville Rd. One corner is Greenville, one corner Greer and the other Simpsonville. It’s 2 miles from I 85.

The trouble with Wade's is, if I'm in GSP for lunch, Wade's is lined up out the door.

I personally like City Range, the one by Westgate Mall in Spartanburg AND the one across from Haywood Mall in Greenville.

My favorite coffee house is Coyote Coffee in Pickens.

If fish camp's are your thing: I love the flounder in Spartanburg.

Being from Greer, does anyone go downtown to eat? There are a lot of good fine dining restaurants there.
I go to the 104 Strip Club and used to Go to Bin 112. It’s not a strip club - the Strip is steaks.

Can't argue with that statement. Unfortunately, Charleston over the years has become more a nationally marketed city of good food to the point where it just isn't as "homely" as it used to be. At least that's JMHOFWIW. And by all means is Chucktown still good, it just ain't as southernly comfortable as Savannah is nowadays.

I'll agree with you on that.

Haven't eaten in downtown Charleston in quite some time, even going back before Covid. Too many of the restaurants downtown have become too pretentious and expensive. I certainly understand, rents downtown are extremely expensive, with no shortage of people wanting to open restaurants. Seems as soon as one closes another one opens.

Reactions: Gaimcock
I really enjoy Pixie and Bill’s in Clemson. In enemy territory but worth it.
Another place up there is The Lighthouse Restaurant on Lake Keowee. Get the almond crusted fried chicken. Mmmmm. Not sure if he still goes, but I’ve seen Spurrier up there a couple of times.

Savannah's one of my favorite places on earth. It was where the wife and I went on our honeymoon and we just returned a couple summers ago. It's a southern city that isn't too uppety. Most of the people you encounter there have manners. You don't feel like you're continuously burning $100 bills as you do in some other places (Disney/Universal). The restaurants are almost all good and they ask you if you'd like a beer or drink "to go" when you leave. I guess the only other place that does that is New Orleans. We want to stay on Tybee Island next trip.

Reactions: Gaimcock
A second vote for Midwood. Ate there a few times over the last few years, great food.

Midwood has grown on me. Backstreets Grill has a huge menu and they do most of very well for slightly upscale bar food.

As for all the Coa comments...I don't know what authentic upscale Mexican food is, but they seem to have it. Great cocktails as well...finally getting some really good bartenders around Columbia. I met 2 recently who moved here from NYC due to all the bar closings.

Reactions: TheReelEss
Yankees don’t eat grits....
I was in Chicago once and saw a sign for a soul food restaurant advertising grits. I decided to investigate and found out Quaker quick grits were made in Chicago, at that time.

My manager at work is from upstate NY. I told him I made some shrimp & grits once. He said he tried them when he moved down but didn't like them. I asked what he put in/on them and he said just the pinch of salt the bag called for. I told him that was just a start.

Reactions: Dizzy01
I was in Chicago once and saw a sign for a soul food restaurant advertising grits. I decided to investigate and found out Quaker quick grits were made in Chicago, at that time.

My manager at work is from upstate NY. I told him I made some shrimp & grits once. He said he tried them when he moved down but didn't like them. I asked what he put in/on them and he said just the pinch of salt the bag called for. I told him that was just a start.
He must not know a “pinch” here is at least a tablespoon.

Wade's sounds like a place my wife and I would enjoy eating and it's not that far from where we live. I'm going to have to look up the address to see exactly where it is located.
They have Turkey and Dressing every Thursday. (Our "goto" on Thursdays.)

Savannah's one of my favorite places on earth. It was where the wife and I went on our honeymoon and we just returned a couple summers ago. It's a southern city that isn't too uppety. Most of the people you encounter there have manners. You don't feel like you're continuously burning $100 bills as you do in some other places (Disney/Universal). The restaurants are almost all good and they ask you if you'd like a beer or drink "to go" when you leave. I guess the only other place that does that is New Orleans. We want to stay on Tybee Island next trip.
D_mn "skrate" in regards to Tybee!! An awesome place IMHO!!!

Grits are like rice and potatoes. If you don't get salt into them while they cook, you can't get enough later.
That is so true. Ever eaten grits at the Huddle House? I end up salting them 3-4 times. And every time, I cringe thinking about eating all that salt. (But I still do it).

That is so true. Ever eaten grits at the Huddle House? I end up salting them 3-4 times. And every time, I cringe thinking about eating all that salt. (But I still do it).
Yes, it makes them less healthy than if they had just put enough in while cooking. I suppose all Huddle Houses have sketchy people working there. But I know some of the sketchy people at our local one so I tend to stay away. They don't have the best breakfast in town, but it costs more anyway. But they do serve it all day.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT