ADVERTISEMENT

RIP Don Sutton Baseball Hall of Famer

Sutton is the seventh Hall of Fame player to die since April: Al Kaline, Tom Seaver, Lou Brock, Bob Gibson, Joe Morgan and Whitey Ford died in 2020.

In addition, Dodgers Hall of Fame manager Tommy Lasorda died Jan. 7.

I was in 10th grade when he broke in with the Dodgers as a rookie sensation pitching in a rotation with Koufax, Drysdale, and Osteen. What pressure, but the kid excelled from the start.

Reactions: cockn'fyr
About 15 years ago we had the good fortune to meet him. We were staying in the same hotel as the Braves during their series with the Rangers. Walking through the lobby I (along with my then 10 year old son) saw Sutton and Skip Caray sitting in the lobby reading newspapers. I couldn't pass on the chance, so I introduced myself and my boy. Both Skip and Don put down their newspapers and spent a few minutes talking to him. To this day, I remind my son that he was talking to a Hall of Famer.

Loved listening to him in the booth. He was the voice of my peak interest in baseball.

He could transition between color and play by play, not many can do that!

My daddy loved him, mainly because he was tough. One of his favorite things about him was when he got into a fight with "Mr. Clean" Steve Garvey in the Dodgers lockeroom. My daddy always thought Garvey was a POS. I loved him and Skip Carey calling the Braves games. Very unique voice and truly a legend broadcaster after a HOF pitching career.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT