ADVERTISEMENT

RIP Kenny McKinley 9-20-2010

So sad. Such a great talent.

Kid comes in as a HS QB that committed to Coach Holtz with the idea that he'd start out as a QB and maybe play WR. Coach Holtz retires and Spurrier comes in but Kenny was committed to being a Gamecock. Looked at it like a huge opportunity for him to play WR despite the fact that Spurrier wouldn't give him a chance at QB.

Would've been fun to watch Troy, Kenny, and Sidney catching balls but maybe it helped Kenny emerge with Troy leaving early for the NFL.

In 2008, McKinley entered his senior year as an All-America candidate that was in position to break every South Carolina school career receiving record. He began the 2008 campaign ranked tied for fourth in career receptions (153), sixth in career receiving yards (2,139) and tied for sixth in receiving touchdowns (15) in Carolina history. Despite being out of the lineup for a three-game stretch due to a right hamstring strain, he set school career records for receptions and receiving yards, while also closing out his career second on the school's all-time touchdown catches list. McKinley also placed his name in the SEC record books. His 207 receptions placed third in conference annals, becoming just the fifth SEC player to amass more than 200 catches in a career. He also became the 12th player in league history to record more than 2,700 receiving yards (2,781).

There are always those players for your rival that you can't help but cheer for ( Lattimore is probably the best example), but for me, it was always Kenny, and there is a specific reason why. Despite my mom's best efforts ( USC grad) me and my brothers all bleed orange and love Clemson, and nothing will change that. But when my youngest brother was probably 13-14, he was taken to a USC game with a friend, and because the friend's dad was some big booster, they were able to meet a few players after the game, and to this day he has said Kenny McKinley was just awesome, and so nice. Even throwing clemson jabs at him. He still has a signed glove, and the news about Kenny hit him just as hard as when we heard about Gaines Adams. Still hope y'all lose to us every year, but will never hate a player because of the school he chooses again. RIP Kenny

RIP #11

VIDEO:%20Remembering%20Kenny%20McKinley,%20USC%20Hall%20of%20Fame%20Inductee

77467910.jpg

0414_uscbf_213.jpg

Did we retire the #11? Anyone know. Seems like we did but I can't remember.

Still bothers me to this day. Hard to put into words. Just feel very sad.
This. As a heartless male I don't always get worked up about the death of people I don't know, but Kenny's story broke my heart. I went to the HoF dinner a year or two ago when he was inducted and his dad accepted on his behalf...man. If any of his family is reading this, Gamecock Nation misses Kenny and our hearts go out to you

This. As a heartless male I don't always get worked up about the death of people I don't know, but Kenny's story broke my heart. I went to the HoF dinner a year or two ago when he was inducted and his dad accepted on his behalf...man. If any of his family is reading this, Gamecock Nation misses Kenny and our hearts go out to you
Ditto to anyone in his family. I think about him a lot. On my podcast today I closed with what should have been a ripping indictment of the mentality of our football program and I kept feeling like I was about to cry. I had forgotten today was the day but I think part of me knew.

Remember the camara that you could use to zoom in on your seats or anyone in the crowd. A day or so after Kenny's death, I was on the camera site and decided to check Spurrier 's office. There was Kenny watching the game. That picture haunts me.

Reactions: Ladycockcock
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT