ADVERTISEMENT

Rivals new top 100. Pickens moves up 5 to 15.

That's why being able to evaluate talent and see something others don't see is important when recruiting. Dabo looks at stars, I'm convinced of that, while Spurrier could find a quality player that had been overlooked because they were a 3 star or 2 star.

That's why being able to evaluate talent and see something others don't see is important when recruiting. Dabo looks at stars, I'm convinced of that, while Spurrier could find a quality player that had been overlooked because they were a 3 star or 2 star.

That whole looking at stars thing seems to work for Saban, Kirby, and Urban too. might be something to that whole thing

That might be true, but all of those teams also have 3* or walkons that have done pretty good. Saban, Dabo and the rest of the top 5 have others recruiting that sometimes find that player that others have overlooked

Dude, they have like 10 3 Star commits this cycle and are ranked top 3. What are you talking about?

Reactions: ecrumpton
I don't think his point is that Dabo looks at star rankings. His point is that players committed to Alabama, Clemson, Ohio State, etc get a boost because of their commitment to top-tier programs. It's a self-fulfilling prophecy.

In reality, these programs are probably the best at evaluating the talent (thus their success) so the ratings sites put a lot of stock into which players they offer.

I'm sure these kids are good players. But, the school they're committed too matters atleast a little bit.

Reactions: Judson1
I'm sure these kids are good players. But, the school they're committed too matters atleast a little bit.
Exactly. Just remember these sites are about selling subscriptions. They know who their customers are and how to entice them to buy. I remember at least one site had Lawrence as the No 1 recruit until he committed. Then all of a sudden Fields moved to No 1 and he just happened to be undecided at the time.

Reactions: Judson1
He was a walkon wasn't he?
Preferred walk-on. I’d also point out that Wayne Gallman was only a 3 star AND that we only offered to get Robert Nkemdiche (evidently NewSprings had a rogue branch in Mississippi). There are other examples. I do think we are starting to get some skewing of our recruits ratings (a la Notre Dame).

I was going to mention Gallman. Y’all ran him to death and he never got a scratch on him. Great investment.
Also taters and Bama DEVELOP players. Their freshmen frequently play and not because the starters are all hurt.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT