ADVERTISEMENT

Rivals Texas Site Says

Dumb play calls & play execution prevented a closer FG try at the end of Iowa St & Texas game. With a TO, They could have run on second down with linebackers playing back for closer try. Instead the kicker missed a career tying 57 yarder.

Not impressed with Herman at all.

Dumb play calls & play execution prevented a closer FG try at the end of Iowa St & Texas game. With a TO, They could have run on second down with linebackers playing back for closer try. Instead the kicker missed a career tying 57 yarder.

Would he better than Beamer?

Reactions: cadcock
Only if it gets Urban Meyer.

I'm betting the Horns are going after Meyer and strike while the iron is hot! I don't think they will give Herman another year. With the kind of money Texas has, I think they would be foolish to wait another year to see how Herman does.

Reactions: Brace1
Someone please refresh my memory on Herman. I know we wanted him and was waiting on him when Texas hired Herman. But, if Texas had hired someone else wasn't LSU waiting on Herman, too? I can't remember.

I was told by someone in the know at UT that Herman is 50/50 and folks are extremely unhappy

Texas, Michigan, FSU, and Tennessee think its still the 80s and 90s. Guys aren't dying to go to these schools.

Speaking of which I wonder why the guy at Michigan has not been very successful? I would have thought he would have been a great hire.

Reactions: king ward

Exactly! My 13 year old even made that observation. Even on 3rd down they could have just gotten another 5 yards up the middle and that kick would’ve been good.

Reactions: GCDC1959
Speaking of which I wonder why the guy at Michigan has not been very successful? I would have thought he would have been a great hire.
Failure to bring in a top QB and develop him. That's the key for a lot of these schools. Both Alabama and Clemson have been able to find a top QB to run their offense.

He backed off USC after a loss to the Citadel. I don't know about the LSU situation. He waited on the Texas job to open.

Herman backed out on us allegedly after the Citadel loss. Not sure if it was the loss, or if he was just using us for leverage to get a raise at Houston.

It’s no secret he was waiting on Texas to fire Strong. LSU started negotiating with his agent, and reportedly had a handshake deal and were waiting on Herman to sign.

That might’ve been what pushed Texas to fire Strong, then they almost immediately signed Herman. IIRC it all happened over a weekend.

LSU was left holding the bag, they thought for all intents and purposes Herman was theirs.

Take Beamer and hire Herman as OC. Urban loved Herman as his OC.

Take Beamer and hire Herman as OC. Urban loved Herman as his OC.
That actually doesn't SEEM like a bad idea on the surface, but I think there would be too many issues. First, Herman has a history of being a successful OC and has been a HC. Beamer has never been a HC, so it's entirely possible someone with Herman's qualifications would demand a higher salary than the HC. Second, Herman has a really big ego according to several people, so who knows what the chemistry would be like since it's entirely possible he would want to step on some toes, including Beamer's.

Seriously - if it could be done would anyone here want RT to hire Tom Herman over the others?

over Napier
over Campbell
over Beamer
over Chadwell
over Freeze

I'm betting the Horns are going after Meyer and strike while the iron is hot! I don't think they will give Herman another year. With the kind of money Texas has, I think they would be foolish to wait another year to see how Herman does.

That is what the Orangeblood insiders all believe is going on. But who really knows.

DeLoss Dodds is no longer the AD. He is the one who could not stand Mack being the most popular and prominent man in Austin.

Deloss problem was he didn't hire Mack. He was negotiating with Gary Barnett (then at Northwestern and had taken a weak football school to 10-2 and 9-3 records). Deloss was about to hire Gary, when a powerful regent (Tom Hicks) flew to NC and hired Mack Brown. Deloss was told Mack had been hired. That would rankle any Athletic Director. He had no involvement at all in Mack's hiring, and being told that way was a shock.

That actually doesn't SEEM like a bad idea on the surface, but I think there would be too many issues. First, Herman has a history of being a successful OC and has been a HC. Beamer has never been a HC, so it's entirely possible someone with Herman's qualifications would demand a higher salary than the HC. Second, Herman has a really big ego according to several people, so who knows what the chemistry would be like since it's entirely possible he would want to step on some toes, including Beamer's.

No head coach wants a subordinate who upstages them. Herman will be an OC at some big school, but not with a new HC. Some established guy.

Reactions: kotr
Failure to bring in a top QB and develop him. That's the key for a lot of these schools. Both Alabama and Clemson have been able to find a top QB to run their offense.

Mack Jones was a three star. Amazing how you look better with great line play and WR.
Many a coordinator at Ohio St andAlabama have been hired away as the next big thing. But like Mack Jones, they look great because they’re in a system with no weak links.

Deloss problem was he didn't hire Mack. He was negotiating with Gary Barnett (then at Northwestern and had taken a weak football school to 10-2 and 9-3 records). Deloss was about to hire Gary, when a powerful regent (Tom Hicks) flew to NC and hired Mack Brown. Deloss was told Mack had been hired. That would rankle any Athletic Director. He had no involvement at all in Mack's hiring, and being told that way was a shock.
That may be. However, DeLoss worked behind Mack’s back in making Muschamp as the HC in waiting. Dodd’s is single handedly the reason Colorado, Nebraska, Texas A&M and Missouri felt they had to get out of the Big XII.

That may be. However, DeLoss worked behind Mack’s back in making Muschamp as the HC in waiting. Dodd’s is single handedly the reason Colorado, Nebraska, Texas A&M and Missouri felt they had to get out of the Big XII.

I don't disagree with any of that.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT