ADVERTISEMENT

RJ Roderick Committed

That's a pitiful offer list
It would not surprise me since R.J has committed to South Carolina that Georgia or Tennessee will now evaluate Roderick and may try to lure him away from Columbia. I trust the coaching staff rather than an offer list if this kid has the potential to play at the big level of college football.

Yes! I recall checking out his film clips several weeks ago and thinking to myself, 'Damn! This young man is GOOD! Very good! I just wish we could hurry up and get a commitment!' He's a 5.6 3* but he ought to be at least a 5.7 and imo, he'll end up a solid 4*.

GREAT CATCH!

That PLUS a very good prospect can get overlooked and, thus, underrated, too which, imo, has happened in this case. The 'pitiful' poster needs to stay tuned!
The recruiting sites didn't know what position this guy was gonna play. He's going to be a free safety for us, but in high school he plays QB.

Funny, I remember posters talking about how good we were at evaluating during the Spurrier era when we weren't getting anything but 3 and 2 stars.

I can name a bunch of 4 stars and a few 5 stars signed under Spurrier, so I'm not sure you know what you're talking about. You're making yourself look silly, so you should just stop.

Towards the tail end when we were, as one poster put it, killing it on the three star circuit.

Stars = Championships, and this kid doesn't excite me much.

Also, Clemson didn't offer him.

We must work harder. 3* is not going to do it. I thought we were getting the best recruiters in the country.

I will definitely go see him play this year! Cane Bay is 20 minutes away.
Our local "Friday Night Lights", during the season , mentioned him every week...with a highlight play. He carried Cane Bay to a little playoff run. He's a D1 guy. No doubt.

Reactions: Gradstudent
I don't know what to think anymore. I know of a 2019 dB prospect that is getting offers from SEC/ACC schools including us that I'm totally shocked about. Kid may be fast and have a good shuttle time but he's scared of contact. Seen him play since pop warner, and it's mind boggling. All the while seen some kids fall through the cracks and do well after walking on. Hudl and the camp circuit has changed things.

Melvin Ingram was a 3* as was Debo the star rating does not measure heart and coachable factors. Our staff holds camps,watches film along with athletic ability. They don't recruit just on stars there have been a lot of 4 and 5 star busts. We just had a couple transfer. Welcome aboard.

Towards the tail end when we were, as one poster put it, killing it on the three star circuit.

Stars = Championships, and this kid doesn't excite me much.

Also, Clemson didn't offer him.
Clemson has invested a lot of time with RJ, why would they do that ?

I have seen him play a few times over the last couple years. This guy can flat out play.

And I agree character matters. It is not 'everything' on the field, but I do believe it makes a great difference off the field.

The fact is he is not only a 'character' guy. He is a ball player. And the more guys we get that are a combination of the two, the better. The guy is also an early enrollee. Which in my opinion is always good to have. Mark my words this guy will have an impact. And the star lovers can say whatever they want. But y'all need to watch some damn football and quit believing in these 'stars mean everything' types. Jmo

He is a solid player. UGA, Tennessee, and Clemson have shown a lot of interest. Good get.

I think everyone understands talent evaluations, what some people fail to understand is that a rating is not a guarantee. Obviously the greater the ranking, the higher probability said player will be a premier talent. But let's not discount this young man simply because he is not a 5 star. That is ignorant. Recruiting is not an exact science and neither is the star system. Criticize all you want because this is obviously a discussion forum but realize not everyone thinks like you. And also realize this guy could or could not be great.

Honestly who doesn't want all 5 stars? But realists will know that is not plausible and also realize the NFL is full of guys that were 2 through 5 stars. Late bloomers and early peakers are real.

I am happy that Mr Roderick wants to be a Gamecock and you should be too. And I have confidence coach knows how to evaluate defensive backs as well as anyone in the country.

High 4 star. Talent wins. Give me Clowney 22 out of 22 times.
In the short time Marcus played you could tell he would have been special. He was special but can you imagine if he'd stayed healthy through his college career? Big George might be asking for HIS autograph. Both players (Clooney and Lattimore) were special and both were very nice young men.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT