ADVERTISEMENT

ROLL CALL: High School attended and year graduated.

I graduated from Belton-Honea Path H.S.....who will be playing for the South Carolina 3A state championship in baseball Monday night at 6:00PM. The Bears, upper state champs, are up 1-0 in the best of three game series against St James who is the lower state champs. The second game of the series was rained out tonight. Best wishes to Steve Williams who is the head coach for BHP...he is also the father of Matt Williams, of our Gamecocks! BTW, I graduated BHP in 1977.
Go Bears! 1968 grad and Bears family. Sister taught there as well.

Reactions: uofsc
Myrtle Beach HS - Class of 1968 - school site was demolished long ago to make way for K-Mart, Olive Garden, Taco Bell, etc. - they built the 'new' MBch CoC building on our old football field. Hwy 17 was 2-lanes traveling N towards NMyrtlBch and 2-lanes going South towards Surfside/Garden City/Murrells Inlet/Pawleys Island/Georgetown ... there was no Litchfield Beach - there was no Highway 17-Bypass, there was no 'convention center' ... in 1968 the area bordered by 21st Ave. N and Oak Street where the convention center stands today was the 'city dump'. No roads parallel to Highway 17 west of Oak Street were paved. Joe White Ave. from Ocean Blvd to Broadway-At-The-Beach on 17-Bypass was a 1-lane/sometimes 2-lane dirt road that led to 'black' nightclubs, where a 17-year old HS student could still get a PBR after midnight on Saturday. We had four (4) golf courses (counting NMB AND Georgetown County all the way to the river) ... the Surf Club, Dunes Club, Pine Lakes and Myrtlewood; our 5th would open that Spring across from Coastal Carolina College - which in '68 was a USC Regional Campus with two (2) buildings and less than 500 students.
We had no shopping centers, no 'Belk's' or other department stores (Belk's had a store in Conway - which was a 'bigger' town) - Chapin's was our 'shopping center'/department store - there was no 'restaurant row' - after Nixon/Agnew won the Presidency in '68 (my 1st vote for President) Agnew visited MBch the next year and stayed at the Thunderbird Hotel 'penthouse' ... it was on the 5th floor. In '68 the 'city' had nineteen (19) 'modern' hotel signs (i,e,. manually-changable letters on storyboards) - no 'electronic' sign boards ... none. 'Modern' was neon. Our 'Holiday Inn' wasn't a Holiday Inn. We has ZERO 'national chain' hotels. In 1968 Myrtle Beach had less than a dozen elevators - and half of those were in the old Ocean Forest Hotel.
My HS buds and I would like to thank MOST of you for allowing your Mother's, sister's and wives to visit MBch 'tween 8th & 9th Ave's on Ocean Blvd in front of the old Pavilion, across the street from Sloppy Joe's at 9th & OB and the Bowery on 9th extension ... several of you may be a smidgen Waccamaw or Chicora Indian and not even know it.
On behalf of that entire lustful band of brothers please accept our sincere apologies ... for the whole of my life I've witnessed otherwise extremely prudent and reserved young ladies act like TOTAL, insatable crazy women while doing things they would NEVER do in Spartanburg or Columbia, Florence or Aiken, Lake City or Chester, Greenville or Ninety-Six, Knoxville or Charlotte, Atlanta or Augusta, Sumter or Charleston, Anderson or clemson, Virginia, Kentucky, New York, Ohio, Pennsylvania, New Jersey, West Virginia and a few dozen other locations (that's a list which fairly represents the 'ladies' I 'got to know' on their visit(s) to MBch - small potatoes ... others [the good-looking guys] did FAR BETTER than I did) ... I didn't have a car in HS, their room had to be close if they didn't like the beach ... we all had a 45-minute rule to get there and get back - opportunity was everywhere 24/7.
I've saved the 'local' (then weekly) MBch newspaper from November '67 after all these years - my senior year with front page pictures of the 1st time in history MBHS ever beat Conway in football (or Georgetown for that matter) - FWIW: in the Real Estate section of that same issue there's a 2-story "OCEANFRONT" house for sale - 4BR/4Baths, fully-furnished ... $13,750. The 'nice houses' (NEW ones) were in Pine Lakes or the Dunes Club - some of those cost ALMOST $50,000!!! All those old beach houses were 'wooden cottages'. Four years later (1972) when the developers of North Litchfield Beach started selling lots you could buy an 'oceanfront' lot for $3,000 (or 2/$5,000 if you paid cash). Nah, TOO far down to drive to work. We only went that far South to drink and dance at the Pawley's Pavilion, or walk around 'Alice's Grave'.
Ocean Lake's Family Campground didn't exist. We had NEVER HEARD of a 'patio home' or a waterslide or a 'timeshare'. Brant's Hamburgers at 3rd Ave. S & Hwy 17 sold burgers 5/$ .99, including the 3-cent sales tax - FIVE hamburgers and CHANGE for a dollar! In 1968 Brant's sold more than the 'NEW' McDonald's and the 'NEW' Hardee's put together. McDonald's 'Big Mac' wasn't invented when I graduated from MBHS. Introduced in Pittsburgh in the Fall of '68 the 'Big Mac' didn't make it to MBch until the Spring of 1970. We had a Lum's next door to Brant's that sold hot dogs steamed in beer ... but even at a 1/4 pound the price of $1.19 seemed steep 'cause you could get a foot-long chili dog at Sloppy Joe's for $ .89 cents. It was age 18 to drink beer. We didn't wait. The state of SC's changed a LOT since then. FEW places, if any have changed as much as the beach. Oh, I left out Camden. Tell all them wide-load, gray-haired gals (today) 'hey'!
We did have a Howard Johnson's 'restaurant' - but the hotel behind it wasn't part of the deal. Loved those 'clam strips'.
Did you know Paul Carter or Butch Forgason?

Lewisville High School, 1991
Barry Byers and I covered Lewisville High football in the late 80s for the Herald. My last story was in 1987. Barry had turn me loose and Lewisville was going to be my primary school to cover. I loved it there. Best fans anywhere. My wife became ill in 87,spent 7 months in the hospital and 2 more years in rehab so my writing days ended. Barry had asked me to start again several years ago but then cancer got him.

Go Comets! :)

Do we still play each other on Thanksgiving Day?

Yes, one of the very few rivalries that continues every thanksgiving, most schools have given up on it. I am actually the public address announcer for the Teaneck games and every other year when I get to call the Thanksgiving game it is a pleasure and a honor.

Did you know Mike Abercrombie? I was Irmo 86. I was all state in track/CC, but I never beat Mike! He's here in Charleston now. Great guy!
I remember Mike and knew he was a top notch CC athlete. But we really didn't hang out or know each other.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT