ADVERTISEMENT

ROLL CALL: High School attended and year graduated.

Barnwell High School 1984..."Once a Warhorse always a Warhorse"...Football, Basketball, Baseball and Golf if I didn't have a baseball game!

McClenaghan (Florence) '69..... building is still around (keeps getting repurposed), but the kids now go to West Florence, South Florence, & Wilson. We had over 400 in graduating class, so it was a 3A classification (before 4A came along, I think). Rivals were Darlington, Sumter, Camden, and various Columbia schools. It was a great time to come of age.

Reactions: king ward
Barnwell High School 1984..."Once a Warhorse always a Warhorse"...Football, Basketball, Baseball and Golf if I didn't have a baseball game!
You still in Barnwell? My wife's cousin plays softball for Barnwell. They are very good

You still in Barnwell? My wife's cousin plays softball for Barnwell. They are very good
Yes our girls went undefeated but I think they lost out in the lower state...pretty young team that should be even better next year!

Yes our girls went undefeated but I think they lost out in the lower state...pretty young team that should be even better next year!
my wifes cousin is Kelcey Brown, she is a pretty good player. I believe she is a sophomore this year

Freddie,

I used to date Brenda Brown who was Miss Parker HS and I believe she was in your class. Do you remember her?

My sister's 50th was also 2008. Pretty sure she didn't make that one. Although she may have driven all the way from Tallahassee and not tell me.

My sister's name was Libby, and she hung around with a Judy, Kathleen, Edna Earle, and several more that escape me right now. and dated a guy named Sonny (Charlie).

I went to my 50th in 2012. Great memories.

My mother was Garnet...her sister was named Libby, brother Curtis, and youngest sister Ellen.

My mother was Garnet...her sister was named Libby, brother Curtis, and youngest sister Ellen.

My sister Libby knew Garnet. I believe they lived in Bay View in 53-54. We lived there 6 months during 53-54 before moving back to town on King St. in the spring.

Libby passed two years ago in Tallahassee.

My sister Libby knew Garnet. I believe they lived in Bay View in 53-54. We lived there 6 months during 53-54 before moving back to town on King St. in the spring.

Libby passed two years ago in Tallahassee.

Garnet passed in 2012.....huge gamecock fan...we still visit Georgetown....have a place nearby

Freddie,

I used to date Brenda Brown who was Miss Parker HS and I believe she was in your class. Do you remember her?

Yes, I remember her. I didn't know her on a personal level but she was a very pretty girl. I thought Brenda was one of those girls that were just naturally pretty and didn't need any help with cosmetics to enhance her natural beauty. Plus, she was very regal and had the personality to match it as well.

You must have been one cool dude to have been fortunate enough to have dated Brenda.

Reactions: Closer
Yes, I remember her. I didn't know her on a personal level but she was a very pretty girl. I thought Brenda was one of those girls that were just naturally pretty and didn't need any help with cosmetics to enhance her natural beauty. Plus, she was very regal and had the personality to match it as well.

You must have been one cool dude to have been fortunate enough to have dated Brenda.

No I wasn't cool but back then it was cool to date someone from another high school. Brenda had the looks alright but was a little on the quiet side. Today I would see that as a virtue.

No I wasn't cool but back then it was cool to date someone from another high school. Brenda had the looks alright but was a little on the quiet side. Today I would see that as a virtue.

Oh, I think it would be very much a virtue today and even back in the '60s, too.

Last edited:
Pickens 1982 ... Blue Flame

I grew up in Easley but my mother was from Pickens and her maiden name was the same as the barber on Main St.

Dad started the Pickens County Museum and wrote for the Sentinel . The guy that ran the BBQ place on Ann St is a cousin. Another cousin coached the PHS volleyball team that were state champs.

Wow. Geez. I feel old compared to you youngsters. Boiling Springs High School which was more than a little bit country in 1960. Peaches, cotton and textiles ruled.

Absolutely. First year they shut down Emmett Scott. That area has grown so fast. What now 3 high schools
3 public and 1 private in RH. Fort Mill has 2 schools now and I think between them they had over 800 graduates. They're talking about a 3rd school. I came on campus to get my girl friend during the riot. I was a freshman at USC-Lancaster at the time. Cal Burleston caught me and said he'd have me arrested if he caught me on campus again.

Reactions: Jpcooper
Please tell us, what was the riot?
Racial riot. Rock Hill had 3 high schools in 1965. They closed Winthrop Training School and put those students in RHHS. They started moving students from the black school, Emmett Scott at the same time. They also moved RHHS out of the high school building and put the 10th thru 12th grade in a junior high building. ES's last graduating class was 1970. In 1971, they had combined all 3 schools, over 2000 students in a junior high built for 1500. A riot that made national news was the result.

Reactions: Jpcooper
Kings Mountain Senior High School, Kings Mountain, NC - 1990 (Go Mountaineers!!! Beat Shelby!!!!!) :)

Racial riot. Rock Hill had 3 high schools in 1965. They closed Winthrop Training School and put those students in RHHS. They started moving students from the black school, Emmett Scott at the same time. They also moved RHHS out of the high school building and put the 10th thru 12th grade in a junior high building. ES's last graduating class was 1970. In 1971, they had combined all 3 schools, over 2000 students in a junior high built for 1500. A riot that made national news was the result.

WOW! That was really something. At first, I thought you might have been talking about a riot at a sporting event. I have seen some of those over the years.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT