ADVERTISEMENT

Rome Is Burning

I don't think you or the writer even understand what perennial means. A three year time frame is not perennial. The term doesn't even apply to Alabama as they stunk pretty bad during the Dubose and Shula years.

Fair point.

As a Georgia fan, I think you guys should not settle for "we'll never be like the best programs in the SEC." I don't agree with that, and never did. Before Spurrier, Dawg friends told me all the reasons SC had never won an SEC championship and never would. I told them the right coach would make it happen. I wasn't sure Spurrier was the right coach, because I felt like you guys needed a young and particularly hungry guy. But he eventually got to the 11-win stage, which is no small feat. He has set the stage for SC getting that guy who can take you to the next level. If TCU and Baylor and people like that can build Top Five programs, I see no reason why South Carolina, in the heart of the Southeast, couldn't do it. Yes, it will be always be tough especially if UGA and UT and UF all get their swagger back. But never say never. SC is ready to get there if the recruiting can be held at a reasonable level until then.

Bless our fans' little hearts. You know this is all about Steve's legacy. So many want so badly for him to have his fairy tail ending riding off on a flying unicorn out into the sunset with a championship trophy in his hand and a sly wink. It's just not happening. We need to think about was is best for the team now, not Steve's legacy. His legacy is as great as it's ever going to be and that is pretty damn great.

Not trying to put everything on Spurrier. This is a problem for the entire program, not just the head coach. Of course, he's going to get the majority of the blame because that comes with the job.

If we had an above average mobile QB we would be 2 and 0 and feeling a lot different. Help is on the way

Reactions: Heath Cline
People it's not just Gamecock fans and local media that sees all that is wrong.

I have listened to so many national guys that say that "Rome is burning" for the Gamecocks. They don't use those words but they are conveying the same message.

So are every single one of them wrong? I don't believe they are anti Gamecock or anti Spurrier, they are just telling it like it is and a lot of Gamecock loyalists don't like it.

Where do you think these "national" guys are getting their info? Do you really think they are visiting campus weekly? Perhaps they have gone through the USC roster, player by player? Do you think they are breaking down our film??? Really? How in the world are these national people getting valid opinions?

They read the local paper's stories. That's the best they can do. They have to appear knowledgeable over every Power 5 school. How in the world do you think it's possible for them to do in depth analysis?

Every story is a negative for USC. It's what The State does. For example, with today's hot topic of dollars spent on recruiting, you see USC painted negatively. Clemson has been glorified to spending so much money, and USC criticized for spending less. If, USC spent MORE money than Clemson, the story would be written that Clemson better manages their money than USC. Clemson would be glorified, and USC would be criticized.

USC doesn't get to choose how the story is told. The State does that. The national media will read what The State puts on the wire. The local radio shows will bring up the stories from The State too.

USC staff have made mistakes. They got very satisfied with the results and eased up some. I think things are getting better, but they don't become perfect in a week. Last year was terrible defensively. Changes were made and we'll see continued improvement. Most programs rise and fall. We fell some, and I expect to rise some in the future.

Where do you think these "national" guys are getting their info? Do you really think they are visiting campus weekly? Perhaps they have gone through the USC roster, player by player? Do you think they are breaking down our film??? Really? How in the world are these national people getting valid opinions?

They read the local paper's stories. That's the best they can do. They have to appear knowledgeable over every Power 5 school. How in the world do you think it's possible for them to do in depth analysis?

Every story is a negative for USC. It's what The State does. For example, with today's hot topic of dollars spent on recruiting, you see USC painted negatively. Clemson has been glorified to spending so much money, and USC criticized for spending less. If, USC spent MORE money than Clemson, the story would be written that Clemson better manages their money than USC. Clemson would be glorified, and USC would be criticized.

USC doesn't get to choose how the story is told. The State does that. The national media will read what The State puts on the wire. The local radio shows will bring up the stories from The State too.

USC staff have made mistakes. They got very satisfied with the results and eased up some. I think things are getting better, but they don't become perfect in a week. Last year was terrible defensively. Changes were made and we'll see continued improvement. Most programs rise and fall. We fell some, and I expect to rise some in the future.

You get it. We need a spin machine like the taters have

I agree with a lot of your points that you made. However, do you think that after ten years in the program, Spurrier would have to rebuild year after year? Remember that Shaw, Clowney, Lattimore and Co. covered a lot of weaknesses that we had even during our eleven win seasons. What is disturbing is that we are unable to put a solid team on the field year after year. I don't expect to win the East every year, but I think most fans would expect to win those you are suppose to win and pull out a few that you aren't. Even our last eleven win season, we gagged away probably the best chance we had at winning an SEC title with the loss to Tennessee. I know that graduation, NFL, attrition will happen with every program, but it shouldn't mean that we put our finger in the dam to plug a hole and then move it to fix another (This comes back to recruiting, development, etc.). One year the defense is stellar while the offense is weak. Next year, the defense is weak and offense is strong(similar to last year). I would rather have a team that is close to 50/50 every year, and adjust accordingly than have a team that has an offense that is 30% and a defense that is 70% and vice versa.

The problem is that we didn't eliminate anyone from the staff. We only ADDED Hoke. I understand that he is calling the plays, but we still have some weak guys recruiting and developing the players. (Botkins, Adams) You can't put a band-aid on a broken bone and expect it to get better. If SOS is to continue to coaching here, which I hope he does, must start to make changes. Otherwise, we are going to have the same cycle over and over and expect a different result.

Do they have to visit a campus to see what a decline in talent we have? Or do they have to turn on a TV and watch it like the rest of the country?

What happens on the field tells the story, not Ron Morris or any other jackleg that reports from this area. Rixon hit the nail on the head.

Spurrier brought 100% of this on himself. I love the guy and wish he would change, but he's not going to. Hell he shouldn't have to, he's almost 71 and has him and his family set for life.

Change isn't always bad people, even when a legend moves on.

Where do you get the idea that things are getting better. It sounds like a weak attempt to sugarcoat the situation to me. I will grant that a lot of what is out there is much more negative than it really is, but it's still a lot closer to the truth than all the sunshine pumped out on these message boards.

Appreciate you taking the time to read...I would say it wasn't "Alabamaesque" because none of those teams won a division or competed for a national title. That would be the difference in my opinion. Thanks for the comment.
Rixon didn't we miss winning the division in all 3 years by 1 game? That's competing to me. Yeah we didn't win in either of those but we were in position, and can't ask for more than that.

By the way we obviously don't know what perennial means (per an above poster), here's the definition
Perennial - lasting or existing for a long or apparently infinite time; enduring or continually recurring.

Well to me 3 years in a row is being perennially in the top 10, so I agree with you. But I don't agree with the poster who thinks we don't know what perennial means :) There isn't 1 team in history that lives in the top 10 every single year, your OUR use of perennial (in my eyes) would be correct o_O

Wow. Even a writer at Gamecock Central is piling on.

Rome isn't burning. Rome hasn't been built yet, and since we're on Roman cliches, it wasn't built in a day. Or even 10 years. Perhaps we've had some rain delay the construction schedule but it's burning? Really?

Can we at least have 1 or 2 recruiting classes outside the top 25 before we say the thing is burning to the ground? For all the bitching about coach's recruiting, he's garnered 11 straight, and that's every year he's been here for those counting, Top 25 classes in a row.

Reactions: SwampFox99
Disagree with the piece. Yes, team is down compared to 2011-2013. I don't not think it is in as bad shape as it was when Spurrier arrived. Before Spurrier arrived the only "history" of USC football was that of mediocrity (at best) and only one ten-win season (which was soured by a loss to a horse-crap Navy team and a bowl loss). Before Spurrier, Gamecock fans hoped to be bowl eligible and beat Clemson (and not necessarily both). Since Spurrier arrived, he raised the bar of our fan's expectations. Prior to his arrival, nobody believed we would beat CU 5 years in a rown and UGA 4 out of 5. Now we're pissed if we're not in the hunt... which is awesome.

The truth is, USC will never be an Alabama type of team every year. For many reasons, including: Schools such as Alabama have a much greater endowment fund and more rescources to bring in top recruits. That's not going to change. Also, to win, you have to recruit your home state. When USC was winning 11 games per year, the best high school football players in SC were not only coming to USC but were talented kids who were recruited nationally. In the last few years, some of the best high school talent in SC is simply not as good (not recruited nationally the way the Lattimore's, Clowney's and GIlmore's were.) SC is a small state compared to our competition in FL and GA. So that will always be an uphill battle.

What Spurrier has done is prove that winning big here is possible, but it's not realistic to sustain it year after year based on the above factors. It's great that we can have the high expectations and be upset about the team's current status, but you're missing the boat in the point of your article.

Last year, Spurrier's offense was putting up record numbers while the defense failed. Before this season started, I truly believed SC was a 5 or 6 win team at best, and that this year was all about seeing what pieces would fit and what was needed for an 8 win type of season next year. I get tried of all the garbage I hear that Spurrier doesn't work hard etc. That's B.S. By all accounts from people who know him, he's one of the most competitive people out there. No he doesn't work 100 hours per week, but he never has. Your analogy that he's playing a fiddle while Rome is burning means you assume he's doing nothing to try to improve his team and doesn't care. Do you really think that? Really? If so, perhaps you should spend less time behind your keyboard, and actually go to a press conference and ask the man some intelligent questions.

I won't lie, I don't always agree with the play-calling, I also know it's all about execution and players have to be responsible there (wrap up on tackles, make a block on 4th and 1, don't get a 15 yard penalty when you're team is on the 2 yard line.)

Sorry dude, but I found your article to be nothing more than message board fodder... but you got people to respond, so congrats on that.

Finally, someone that makes sense!

Reactions: SwampFox99
Being outside of the top 25 in recruiting rankings will probably put us about dead last or second to last in the SEC and it looks like it's going to happen this year. Also, having a handful of the same recruits sign 2 or 3 years in a row inflates the ranking a good bit.

It shouldn't be just up to Spurrier to bring in the talent. We also have plenty of enough money to up our recruiting . I really didn't like when Spurrier was bragging about how sc doesn't spend as much as the others to recruit.Alot of the top recruits are not even on our radar or visiting. Don't get me wrong I like getting a bunch of 4 star guys but we haven't got a really saught after player since Clowney.

We've played 2 games. We lost 1 of them. We clearly had the wrong QB on the field. Maybe he was okay in practice but is a nervous wreck on the field. You can't possibly know that without playing him in a game. I'm pretty sure that if we had Orth out there from the start, we'd be singing a different tune. I actually think we can best UGA this weekend. By the way, have you seen their QBs play? They didn't exactly torch Vandy.

We will get better. All is not lost. Spurrier has not forgotten how to coach. Be careful what you wish for. A young coach is an unproven coach.

Why can't we play a few more games instead of burning Rome down ourselves?

Wow. Even a writer at Gamecock Central is piling on.

Rome isn't burning. Rome hasn't been built yet, and since we're on Roman cliches, it wasn't built in a day. Or even 10 years. Perhaps we've had some rain delay the construction schedule but it's burning? Really?

Can we at least have 1 or 2 recruiting classes outside the top 25 before we say the thing is burning to the ground? For all the bitching about coach's recruiting, he's garnered 11 straight, and that's every year he's been here for those counting, Top 25 classes in a row.

It's not as simple as recruiting a top 25 class and saying "see recruiting isn't that bad", because it is. To become relevant, which means contending seriously for a division championship, you have to compare your recruiting classes against the teams that you play against (SEC teams). There are 14 teams in the SEC, how many teams to we beat in recruiting annually? Ok we beat Vandy, Kentucky (maybe), and Missouri right? So annually we are better than only 21 - 28 % of the teams in our conference. Then factor in Clemson. It's a very bad situation to deal with week in and week out.

For the last 3 or 4 years we are in the bottom 3 or 4.

Basically Spurrier is taking a knife to a gun fight most every week in the SEC. That isn't a formula that's going to make you very successful.

Truthfully, after 10 years, a great deal of success, we should be rolling along. 8-11 wins per year should not be a wish or dream. After 10, 11,11,11 we should be reloading, not rebuilding. But we are. The latter at best, descending and sinking at worst. Spur is a great GameDay playcaller, flyby the seat of your pants play caller. Unfortunately, he has not surrounded himself with a supporting cast who can do those things to go along with him. I believe he could Coach for 5 more with no problem .

. But he cannot recruit the way of the world today, he is too enamored by the thought that he should be able to, and he is just too hard headed to see the difference. All of the staff are nice guys, Steve is a winner, his staff and a great deal of the players we have brought on are not. Recruiting, evaluation and development are paramount to a continuous relevant program. We are way behind the curve on that now. You can't scheme well enough to, or call plays well enough these days to make up for poor coaching and pathetic effort. No matter how good you are. During the 90 ' s yes. But this is 25 years later. Doesn't work anymore 99% of the time.

Reactions: kick#
Eleven seasons after it started, the Steve Spurrier Era has come full circle.

And I don't mean that in a good way.

http://www.gamecockcereal.com/home/2015/9/16/rome-is-burning
It really pains me to say this, but I agree with most everything you wrote!
and at the expense of boring a lot of Real Gamecocks, they know I have been around here a long time.
I have said many times lately here, that Spurrier retired some time ago. he just hasn't left yet. I believe that to be true. that can't be fixed til there is new blood at the top.

We've played 2 games. We lost 1 of them. We clearly had the wrong QB on the field. Maybe he was okay in practice but is a nervous wreck on the field. You can't possibly know that without playing him in a game. I'm pretty sure that if we had Orth out there from the start, we'd be singing a different tune. I actually think we can best UGA this weekend. By the way, have you seen their QBs play? They didn't exactly torch Vandy.

We will get better. All is not lost. Spurrier has not forgotten how to coach. Be careful what you wish for. A young coach is an unproven coach.

Why can't we play a few more games instead of burning Rome down ourselves?
So we have to go with our second best QB because our first best QB who was not that good even in practice but still won the job is a nervous wreck on the field during an actual game, and that is supposed to make me feel better?

Truthfully, after 10 years, a great deal of success, we should be rolling along. 8-11 wins per year should not be a wish or dream. After 10, 11,11,11 we should be reloading, not rebuilding. But we are. The latter at best, descending and sinking at worst. Spur is a great GameDay playcaller, flyby the seat of your pants play caller. Unfortunately, he has not surrounded himself with a supporting cast who can do those things to go along with him. I believe he could Coach for 5 more with no problem .

. But he cannot recruit the way of the world today, he is too enamored by the thought that he should be able to, and he is just too hard headed to see the difference. All of the staff are nice guys, Steve is a winner, his staff and a great deal of the players we have brought on are not. Recruiting, evaluation and development are paramount to a continuous relevant program. We are way behind the curve on that now. You can't scheme well enough to, or call plays well enough these days to make up for poor coaching and pathetic effort. No matter how good you are. During the 90 ' s yes. But this is 25 years later. Doesn't work anymore 99% of the time.
I don't even really put much blame at all on Spurrier for it. He's done a great job and was bound slip up at some point and the sharks were bound to swarm him at the first sign of blood. And that is what has happened. He got comfortable with some success and a couple of good QBs and made a bad hire or two. It wasn't supposed hurt us so badly. However all of the negative recruiting keeps piling on year after year. Then he made that unfortunate comment (that I don't care what anyone says to the contrary) can't be taken back. Recruits are seeing us now as with a coach that is halfway out door like or not, and we can't get any traction that way.

We don't have Connor Shaw. He was our saving grace. He made up for bad play calls, bad offensive lines, and he kept our good defense on the bench by extending drives with his feet. Yeah our defense was good, had play makers and had good future NFL talent but they were better because of Connor Shaw.

And Whammy can say thank you to Connor as well for hiding him as long as he did.

Today's teams that win the most have a Connor Shaw type guy running the show, not always, but more do than don't.
Most fans realize now just how special Connor Shaw was here as our QB. The guy just plain had guts and a Refuse to Lose attitude. That can't be taught. You either got it or you don't. Watching our teams beat Clemmy with Shaw as our signal caller still brings a big smile to my face!

Humm... well written piece. First read, I was thinking "damn, he's right"......but I have thought about it whilst enjoying my seven & seven, and I am not sure I am seeing as much doom and gloom as your article projects. I think we are in a "rebuilding stage" and will concede that we obviously haven't been able to sustain the 11 win season years of quality football (duh)....but, I think we have talent and more coming (ie Mcilwain). Also, this years team is a work in progress- I think we will get better as the season unfolds. I think by the time we go to Missouri or come home to face LSU, we will be playing pretty darn good, solid football (or foosball as the Waterboy's mom would call it). But, good article- just not sure we are as doomed as you think. Go cocks- Steve

"...midst of a four-game losing streak to FBS opponents." ??? Did Miami move to the FCS?

Steve, I see your point. Well, to a degree. Rix made very valid, well thought out points. I see where you might see some see what he wrote as doom and gloom. I think he wrote what most of us know is true, but would like to see it otherwise so we look for the holes in his reasoning. I get it. I read it 3 times. But facts are facts. Nothing now as I see it is derogatory or untruthful. Just an honest opinion of how Rix see things. Contrary to some of the opinions, and given our past years performance, coupled with this season so far, it would appear that way. The older farts like me who have weathered 50 years of Gamecock football, are little more retrospective. Spur knows what needs to be done. It becomes a question for him as to whether he wants to correct it himself, whether that means coaching changes or retiring, to do it. By the way, Rix isn't by himself. FYI: http://sports.yahoo.com/news/spurrier-era-feels-close-finished-144408628.html

So we have to go with our second best QB because our first best QB who was not that good even in practice but still won the job is a nervous wreck on the field during an actual game, and that is supposed to make me feel better?

What do you want? I didn't hear you bitching when we recruited Mitch! So why weren't you? Let me help you with the answer - you didn't know he'd turn out to be who he is. Let that sink in for a moment.

Who was the last great QB we recruited under SOS? Keep searching until you find one. He has always coached up the QBs. Some turn out better than others.

Are you trying to say SOS is lost? He doesn't care? He's lazy? Given the issues UGA is having, I assume you put Richt in the same category? What about Malzahn? Does he suck too?

Give me a break...

Thanks for taking time to read

Just curious, but why do you give a damn whether or not someone takes time to read this hack job? Thanks for starting another Debbie Downer thread for you and your cohorts to dwell in. I prefer to see how this season plays out.

How much does Dumbo pay you guys to keep up this charade? It's like throwing corn into a hungry carp bed............the usual suspects swarm in and start spouting off in harmony. I find the most comical part of one of the posts in this thread...."Clowney, Lattimore, Shaw hid lots of ills on the teams that won 33 games." WTH does that mean? We recruited and got players that won games, but those players are hiding "ills." Bwhahahahaha................So when Bama or LSU wins 11 or 12 games, are "ills" being hidden by good players?

Last edited:

As usual, Read knows nothing but proclaims to be insightful. Teams with QB battles end up making changes all the time. TAMU ring a bell last year? The guy that burned our a$$ wasn't the starter by mid year. UT last year, Josh Dobbs didn't start until game 7. But hey, that's a great point you made there Gomer.

What do you want? I didn't hear you bitching when we recruited Mitch! So why weren't you? Let me help you with the answer - you didn't know he'd turn out to be who he is. Let that sink in for a moment.

Who was the last great QB we recruited under SOS? Keep searching until you find one. He has always coached up the QBs. Some turn out better than others.

Are you trying to say SOS is lost? He doesn't care? He's lazy? Given the issues UGA is having, I assume you put Richt in the same category? What about Malzahn? Does he suck too?

Give me a break...
Is Spurrier lost? I think this time yes. It's not about "how Mitch turned out" it's Spurrier's job to make sure he is ready. And don't compare this what is happening at Auburn and Georgia. Johnson and Lambert were proven commodities before this year and they didn't badly enough that they had to be pulled. Spurrier has 4 QBs on scholarship and they all got beat out by a walk-on and that plain sucks no matter how you try to spin it.

As usual, Read knows nothing but proclaims to be insightful. Teams with QB battles end up making changes all the time. TAMU ring a bell last year? The guy that burned our a$$ wasn't the starter by mid year. UT last year, Josh Dobbs didn't start until game 7. But hey, that's a great point you made there Gomer.
The weren't ****** walkons that beat out 4 scholarship players!!!! ALLEN was the #1 QB in the country out of HS! The problem is recruiting remember!! And those other players didn't suck against he like of North Carolina and Kentucky defenses!!!! Who's a$$ did any of our QBs burn this year? Is there any other rational person willing to post on here anymore? Seriously this place has gone downhill and that is saying something.

This was asked of Spurrier in his press conference and explains PRECISELY what is wrong and why it won't be fixed:

Nick Chubb said he thought you were in Florida getting an award when he visited. Said he thought he would go to Georgia anyway, but would have considered South Carolina more if he had met you. What do you remember about that?

I was out of town when he came. Sometimes I’m in town, sometimes I’m out. I think he visited when I was out. Like you said, I think he was going to Georgia anyway.

No regrets about that?

Oh, I can’t worry about all of that.

Do you people believe your own garbage? Chubb decides to visit a weekend when Spurrier was scheduled to be out of town..................I guess he should have cancelled everything because a RB recruit was mildly interested in SC? If he did that every time a recruits schedule changed or wanted to visit at only a certain time, he'd be sitting in Columbia 52 weeks a year. You set a schedule and stick to it. I doubt Saban would have cancelled his flight and plans for an award weekend b/c Nick Chubb wanted to visit. And Spurrier is right on..................Chubb plays for UGA so why the hell does SOS need to worry about something as trite as a "coach didn't bother to change his plans for me and I'm special" type player. But this stupid analogy works I guess for all the SC program bashers.

The weren't ****** walkons that beat out 4 scholarship players!!!! ALLEN was the #1 QB in the country out of HS! The problem is recruiting remember!! And those other players didn't suck against he like of North Carolina and Kentucky defenses!!!! Who's a$$ did any of our QBs burn this year? Is there any other rational person willing to post on here anymore? Seriously this place has gone downhill and that is saying something.

You sound upset..................so bye. It pains me to see you so upset. You might want to stay off the board for, oh, say a year. This might help you get better and stop your frustration.

Ta Ta

It's real simple: Spurrier made his dumb comment about 2 more years turning a top 10 recruiting class to a top 25 class. 2. No elite player in state like lattimore or Clooney.

Is Spurrier lost? I think this time yes. It's not about "how Mitch turned out" it's Spurrier's job to make sure he is ready. And don't compare this what is happening at Auburn and Georgia. Johnson and Lambert were proven commodities before this year and they didn't badly enough that they had to be pulled. Spurrier has 4 QBs on scholarship and they all got beat out by a walk-on and that plain sucks no matter how you try to spin it.
Ok - so that makes auburn and UGA's situation even worse! And by the way, 1 of your scholarship QBs was a walk-on. Nunez is a freshman. You're really stretching here...

Do you people believe your own garbage? Chubb decides to visit a weekend when Spurrier was scheduled to be out of town..................I guess he should have cancelled everything because a RB recruit was mildly interested in SC? If he did that every time a recruits schedule changed or wanted to visit at only a certain time, he'd be sitting in Columbia 52 weeks a year. You set a schedule and stick to it. I doubt Saban would have cancelled his flight and plans for an award weekend b/c Nick Chubb wanted to visit. And Spurrier is right on..................Chubb plays for UGA so why the hell does SOS need to worry about something as trite as a "coach didn't bother to change his plans for me and I'm special" type player. But this stupid analogy works I guess for all the SC program bashers.

The Chubb situation is kind of the perfect example of how things are different with Spurrier. You see there isn't 1 other coach in the country that wouldn't have changed their plans for Chubb, or at least communicated with him and set up a time that was more amicable.

It's not that Spurrier is wrong in the way he handles those situations, it's that the kids these days get coddled and almost all of the other coaches stroke them the way they are used to being stroked. It makes a big big difference to recruits these days.

How many times have you seen a recruit go to Clemson that was a strong lean, or committed, to another program and have them flip their commitment? It doesn't happen every time, but it happens enough to take a chance on bringing them in and showing them attention (at least for a day).

Again I see your point, BUT the landscape of recruiting has taken on a whole new picture and Spurrier needs to adjust his mindset, at least to some degree.

Most of us know what Toby Keith was talking about when he wrote "I ain't as good as I once was but I'm as good once as I ever was" about the time he hit 40 and it was after 40 before SOS really started his remarkable run as a Hall of Fame college football coach.
He could have easily retired at age 60 but we would have missed the greatest decade in our history, which has included some remarkable wins for SC football.
Spurrier has AVERAGED winning almost two games more EVERY YEAR than the 2nd best and 3rd best coaches we've ever had ... earning not just Top 25 finishes but Top 10 finishes three years in a row, which if you want to 'look it up' is something even 'football history rich' clemson has NEVER DONE.
Spurrier will win his 100 (making it OUR 100) at South Carolina then tell us what he plans to do next. Those hoping for an earlier exit will just have to wait.
We complain about 7 wins and why? ... because Spurrier taught us we can do much more. Seven wins has never even been 'averaged' here before - it was always on the 'high side', considered a GOOD year.
Good Lord, we used to play some pretty dog-teams in bowl games and that was IF we even got into a bowl game ... now we've WON four bowls in a row against some VERY GOOD, high-quality football teams.
The bickering here mystifies me, it truly does.

The only ones bickering are the pumpers whose knickers are in a wad because an ever increasing number of the fanbase recognizes the failings of this staff the past few years. We're going in the wrong direction, led by a great man who is past his prime. Doesn't mean nobody respects him or is unappreciative of what he's done for the University, but as I stated yesterday we've paid him over $40,000,000. That's more than enough and an additional $4,000,000/year cannot be justified given the downward trend we are on.

The only ones bickering are the pumpers whose knickers are in a wad because an ever increasing number of the fanbase recognizes the failings of this staff the past few years. We're going in the wrong direction, led by a great man who is past his prime. Doesn't mean nobody respects him or is unappreciative of what he's done for the University, but as I stated yesterday we've paid him over $40,000,000. That's more than enough and an additional $4,000,000/year cannot be justified given the downward trend we are on.

Still trying to understand this wrong direction.downward trend concept. Just a few thoughts:

(1) Recruiting was up the last two years after several 2012 4 stars (Joe Harris, Jody Fuller, Shaq Roland, Brock Stadnick) did not pan out for various reasons (and hard to complain about 2011 and 201 with Clowney and Lattimore). Outside of Na-Ty Rodgers all of our 2013 4 stars are contributing. Outside of Wesley Green, we're seeing contributions from our 2014 4 stars (one of the best classes in USC history).

(2) We just as easily could have been 4-9 last year as 11-2. Go look at the 7 point or less losses. Then go look at the same for 2006 through 2013. Our 11 win seasons could all have been closer to 8-5.

Our talent is what it is and our record is what it is, but if you are going to make sweeping generalizations about the direction of the team you may want to take a little closer look.

Maybe Spurrier's biggest problem is the level of allegiance for his staff. I think most fans believe he should have cut ties with Ward, but instead, hired a "co-DC". Also, can you imagine how difficult it would be if your own son was your recruiting coordinator and you were witnessing the decline in quality of recruits?
Maybe a different recruiting coordinator with fresh ideas and energy would attract more interest from better recruits.

Eleven seasons after it started, the Steve Spurrier Era has come full circle.

And I don't mean that in a good way.

http://www.gamecockcereal.com/home/2015/9/16/rome-is-burning

Did the writer really say "Rome" is burning? Really? I mean Columbia is really more analogous to Camden, NJ. Or even a smaller Detroit, or how about Macon? Those are really a better comparison. At first I thought Kabul, Afghanistan, but maybe that's going a bit too far.

Really I guess that's not the point. To get to the point, yes, the whole thing is burning down. And, next year is going to be worse.

The problem you guys have is the coach is in charge. The AD and president aren't making the call on when it's time for a new coach - Spurrier is. The fox in in charge of the hen house boys!

Enjoy the ride!

ADVERTISEMENT