ADVERTISEMENT

Ron Morris at it again?

Morris: Padded numbers at women's basketball games stack the deck
BY RON MORRIS
The (Columbia) StateMarch 25, 2015

Read more here: http://www.islandpacket.com/2015/03/25/3665585/morris-padded-numbers-at-womens.html#storylink=cpy

You might have noticed that crowds for the first two rounds of the NCAA women's basketball tournament at Colonial Life Arena were smaller than those at many South Carolina regular-season games.
There were a couple reasons:
Ticket prices were higher for the tournament games. Instead of paying $4 or $7 -- even less for season-ticket holders -- for a regular-season game, the lowest-priced ticket for the tournament was $36 for the three games.
The NCAA controlled ticket sales for the tournament games, so the attendance figures were based on how many folks were in the stands, not the "announced" numbers released by USC during the regular season.
The NCAA reported there were 10,644 in attendance for USC's game against Savannah State on Friday and 10,485 for the Gamecocks game against Syracuse on Sunday.
Do not get me wrong. Those are outstanding crowds for women's basketball games. Those numbers reflect the growing support for Dawn Staley's program as it has ascended from also-ran in the SEC to league champion to national championship contender.
On the other hand, what the weekend attendance numbers showed was that USC's figures during the regular-season created a myth that tickets for women's games were difficult to come by and that there were a few near-sellouts.
The fact is, not one game came close to selling out because USC plays in an 18,000-seat arena that is too big for basketball. (It probably is too big for concerts as well. Touring bands rarely play in arenas that size these days because they cannot sell them out. That is a story for another day.)
USC's attendance policy of including season tickets sold in their crowd estimates is commonplace in college athletics. USC officials do the same for men's basketball and baseball, which is why midweek games in the cold at Carolina Stadium that might attract a few hundred fans have an "announced" crowd of 7,000 or so.
The practice of inflating attendance figures likely has its roots in minor-league baseball, where clubs would average 3,000 to 4,000 for regular-season games, then have less than 1,000 for playoff games, when the league is responsible for ticket counts.
USC boasts that it led the nation in women's basketball attendance this regular season with an average crowd of 12,540. That claim is probably true since most other schools inflate their counts as well. But not that many folks actually attended the games.
Even the exaggerated numbers speak to how difficult it is to fill Colonial Life Arena. Of the four major sports at USC, women's basketball is the lone one remaining that is family affordable. USC fans showed they were willing to support a sport that is affordable to a family of four.
Also, USC fans turned out in record numbers to back a team that has won 32 of 34 games, was ranked No. 1 nationally for 12 weeks, captured both the SEC regular-season and tournament titles, and has advanced to the Sweet 16 of the NCAA tournament.
Yet the closest USC came to filling its arena was for the Jan. 11 game against Kentucky when the crowd was "announced" at 17,156, meaning there likely were around 14,000 in the seats.
In the 207 games the USC women have played since Colonial Life Arena opened for the 2002-03 season, not one has been sold out. The closest to a full house came in the inaugural game played at the arena when ticket prices were $1 and 17,712 attended to see USC play Clemson.
The USC men's team has not fared much better at packing Colonial Life Arena, playing before full houses five times in the 221 games held there. The last crowd of 18,000 for the men was against Kentucky on Jan. 22, 2011, giving USC an ongoing streak of 77 home games without a sellout.
Three of USC's capacity crowds came in games against Kentucky, meaning the attendance was boosted by having a strong contingent of Wildcat fans. That aspect of it worked against the USC women this past weekend in the NCAA tournament when Savannah State brought a couple hundred fans and Syracuse and Nebraska had virtually no following.
What mattered more than the crowd size for the opening-round games was the decibel-level of noise created by USC fans. They helped create a noticeable home court advantage, even if the arena was a little more than half full.

Read more here: http://www.islandpacket.com/2015/03/25/3665585/morris-padded-numbers-at-womens.html#storylink=cpy

No big deal, numbers are always padded for any event anywhere in the country.

He's the Woodward of the sporting world. "College inflates attendance numbers!" In other news, water is wet.

And how exactly do you "stack the deck" by inflating numbers? I can't believe The State is still paying that guy for churning out that lazy product.

Such a miserable little man...

I would guess he's taking a shot at the women's attendance being #1 in the country. And everyone, including espn, taking notice.

That's just a guess. Didn't care to read what he wrote.

didn't read the article but I will say that most schools calculate attendance by tickets bought and donated. If a corp has 100 tickets per game but only 50 show up, 100 will be reported. It was that way at the 4 schools that I worked at. So again, probably a non story

Tell that to Syracuse last Sunday. They would say "Padded my a$$, that place was packed!"

http://www.islandpacket.com/2015/03/25/3665585/morris-padded-numbers-at-womens.html

Here is the link

article

You might have noticed that crowds for the first two rounds of the NCAA women's basketball tournament at Colonial Life Arena were smaller than those at many South Carolina regular-season games.
There were a couple reasons:
Ticket prices were higher for the tournament games. Instead of paying $4 or $7 -- even less for season-ticket holders -- for a regular-season game, the lowest-priced ticket for the tournament was $36 for the three games.
The NCAA controlled ticket sales for the tournament games, so the attendance figures were based on how many folks were in the stands, not the "announced" numbers released by USC during the regular season.
The NCAA reported there were 10,644 in attendance for USC's game against Savannah State on Friday and 10,485 for the Gamecocks game against Syracuse on Sunday.
Do not get me wrong. Those are outstanding crowds for women's basketball games. Those numbers reflect the growing support for Dawn Staley's program as it has ascended from also-ran in the SEC to league champion to national championship contender.
On the other hand, what the weekend attendance numbers showed was that USC's figures during the regular-season created a myth that tickets for women's games were difficult to come by and that there were a few near-sellouts.
The fact is, not one game came close to selling out because USC plays in an 18,000-seat arena that is too big for basketball. (It probably is too big for concerts as well. Touring bands rarely play in arenas that size these days because they cannot sell them out. That is a story for another day.)
USC's attendance policy of including season tickets sold in their crowd estimates is commonplace in college athletics. USC officials do the same for men's basketball and baseball, which is why midweek games in the cold at Carolina Stadium that might attract a few hundred fans have an "announced" crowd of 7,000 or so.
The practice of inflating attendance figures likely has its roots in minor-league baseball, where clubs would average 3,000 to 4,000 for regular-season games, then have less than 1,000 for playoff games, when the league is responsible for ticket counts.
USC boasts that it led the nation in women's basketball attendance this regular season with an average crowd of 12,540. That claim is probably true since most other schools inflate their counts as well. But not that many folks actually attended the games.
Even the exaggerated numbers speak to how difficult it is to fill Colonial Life Arena. Of the four major sports at USC, women's basketball is the lone one remaining that is family affordable. USC fans showed they were willing to support a sport that is affordable to a family of four.
Also, USC fans turned out in record numbers to back a team that has won 32 of 34 games, was ranked No. 1 nationally for 12 weeks, captured both the SEC regular-season and tournament titles, and has advanced to the Sweet 16 of the NCAA tournament.
Yet the closest USC came to filling its arena was for the Jan. 11 game against Kentucky when the crowd was "announced" at 17,156, meaning there likely were around 14,000 in the seats.
In the 207 games the USC women have played since Colonial Life Arena opened for the 2002-03 season, not one has been sold out. The closest to a full house came in the inaugural game played at the arena when ticket prices were $1 and 17,712 attended to see USC play Clemson.
The USC men's team has not fared much better at packing Colonial Life Arena, playing before full houses five times in the 221 games held there. The last crowd of 18,000 for the men was against Kentucky on Jan. 22, 2011, giving USC an ongoing streak of 77 home games without a sellout.
Three of USC's capacity crowds came in games against Kentucky, meaning the attendance was boosted by having a strong contingent of Wildcat fans. That aspect of it worked against the USC women this past weekend in the NCAA tournament when Savannah State brought a couple hundred fans and Syracuse and Nebraska had virtually no following.
What mattered more than the crowd size for the opening-round games was the decibel-level of noise created by USC fans. They helped create a noticeable home court advantage, even if the arena was a little more than half full.

Read more here: http://www.islandpacket.com/2015/03/25/3665585_morris-padded-numbers-at-womens.html?rh=1#storylink=cpy

Attendance is normally reported for everything from sports to the opera based on tickets sales--not on gate count. I work in this area and that's how it's done everywhere-- USC, the NFL, Broadway, concerts, etc. If you have a snowstorm and only 50% of the buyers for a Taylor Swift concert manage to get there, it's still a sellout. If this is big news to Ron Morris or some kind of suggestion USC is doing something shady in how they report attendance, he is out of touch with the workings of the sports and entertainment industry as a whole.

It is a fact of life that season ticket buyers seldom attend every single event--good Lord, you'd have to live in the Braves Stadium in Atlanta if you seriously intended to make all those games. But that does not negate the value of selling thousands of season tickets.

Originally posted by b.wun:
didn't read the article but I will say that most schools calculate attendance by tickets bought and donated. If a corp has 100 tickets per game but only 50 show up, 100 will be reported. It was that way at the 4 schools that I worked at. So again, probably a non story
In most cases, it's not just the fans that are reported in the attendance figure. They count everybody in the house including members of the teams, the press, and the broadcasters. If you have 100 employees working the game, they are counted in the attendance figure.

It's interesting that that article has been taken down. I would like to hear why, but suspect the article was flawed because it didn't consider all that is included in the announced attendance figures.

Maybe I missed it, but no where in the blahrticle did I see him mention that our 2 NCAA women's games this weekend were the highest attended out of all the venues. Reporting selective "facts" to intentionally mis-lead is disgusting.

The State pads the number of papers sold too.....they use the number of papers printed. Ron is still padding the amount of education, his love life, and his bank account.....as was the resume he used to get his job at that fish wrapper of a paper!
laugh.r191677.gif

Originally posted by skinner63:

The State pads the number of papers sold too.....they use the number of papers printed. Ron is still padding the amount of education, his love life, and his bank account.....as was the resume he used to get his job at that fish wrapper of a paper!
laugh.r191677.gif
Now, THAT'S ^^^^^ a good summary of the situation!

Ok, I'll be that guy...

I attended Sunday's game against Syracuse. The crowd was loud. It was rowdy. It was a home court advantage. But that game was nowhere NEAR soldout. And, that's what struck me about a lot of the media coverage (TV and such) all weekend. They kept acting like the games were packed, but that was simply not the case, at all. When USC played, there were about 10,000 people in the stands, with humongous swaths of the upper deck unoccupied. When Syracuse played Nebraska, the place was damn near empty.

I don't understand what y'all find so egregious about this Morris column. It is 100% accurate. Our women's hoops crowds this year have been fantastic, all things considered. But they were nowhere NEAR packed on most nights. (Nor were the men, FWIW. But that's not the point.)

Originally posted by Jack_Burton:
Ok, I'll be that guy...

I attended Sunday's game against Syracuse. The crowd was loud. It was rowdy. It was a home court advantage. But that game was nowhere NEAR soldout. And, that's what struck me about a lot of the media coverage (TV and such) all weekend. They kept acting like the games were packed, but that was simply not the case, at all. When USC played, there were about 10,000 people in the stands, with humongous swaths of the upper deck unoccupied. When Syracuse played Nebraska, the place was damn near empty.

I don't understand what y'all find so egregious about this Morris column. It is 100% accurate. Our women's hoops crowds this year have been fantastic, all things considered. But they were nowhere NEAR packed on most nights. (Nor were the men, FWIW. But that's not the point.)
Jack - let's start with this - Morris: Padded numbers at women's basketball games stack the deck

The headline to the article insinuates that USC is doing something underhanded and misleading, as if they are the ONLY school that counts tickets sold, not cheeks in the seats. Like an earlier poster said, all schools, leagues, and concerts report attendance based on ticket sales. This is just a pathetic stab by Morris to gain some attention to his otherwise forgettable existence.

(It probably is too big for concerts as well. Touring bands rarely play in arenas that size these days

he has no clue. if all he wants to do is trash the cocks and the arena then he needs to move on to another city that can make him happy.

Im going to have to break out the t-shirt i had made just for him. And im going to add something to it.

Fire Ron Morris......AGAIN!

Read more here: http://www.islandpacket.com/2015/03/25/3665585_morris-padded-numbers-at-womens.html?rh=1#storylink=cpy

I know on this board it's "Ron Morris is evil." I get that.

But, again, his article was truthful. There was this idea all year that the women's games were "packed." Aside from a couple of games (Kentucky was one), that was nowhere close to being accurate. I know this because I attended a bunch of them and my eyeballs work. The vast majority of games featured a filled lower bowl (thanks to the fact that most tickets are general admission), with a little spillover into the upper.

Like Morris, I applaud the women's crowds this year. They were big crowds for girls basketball. Loud and proud and they lifted the team. But we came nowhere close to filling CLA and that includes last weekend.

But, again, his article was truthful. There was this idea all year that the women's games were "packed." Aside from a couple of games (Kentucky was one), that was nowhere close to being accurate. I know this because I attended a bunch of them and my eyeballs work. The vast majority of games featured a filled lower bowl (thanks to the fact that most tickets are general admission), with a little spillover into the upper.

Like Morris, I applaud the women's crowds this year. They were big crowds for girls basketball. Loud and proud and they lifted the team. But we came nowhere close to filling CLA and that includes last weekend.
Are you Ron Morris?

The only purpose for this article was to harm the women's program and the university.

Announced attendance and what appears to actually be in the seats have been questioned across all sports for decades. This is not breaking news or unique to the university as this jack ass has tried to present it. The article was only done to cause harm. That's why it has been yanked offline. Hopefully, Morris is getting ripped a new one by his bosses.

Quite frankly, it's a subject suited for the business section, or a news channel, like CNBC. It certainly didn't belong in the sports pages.

No doubt your eyeballs work, but let's see if your brain does.

"Padded numbers at women's basketball games stack the deck"

and

"On the other hand, what the weekend attendance numbers showed was that USC's figures during the regular-season created a myth that tickets for women's games were difficult to come by and that there were a few near-sellouts."

Morris alludes that USC is manipulating the numbers in some way different from everyone else. THAT is untrue. USC did NOT "create a myth" of any sort. USC uses standard operating procedures in reporting ticket sales.

People are easily manipulated, and Morris has fed on that for as long as I've known him. His writing style is manipulative in nature. He begins these stories (always about USC) with a fact. Then, he bleeds his negative opinions into the stories as if they, too, are facts. The regular reader identifies with the first statement of fact, and then assumes the rest of the statements that are written as fact are true too, when in reality they are not.

Ron Morris personally hates Mike McGee, and Steve Spurrier. He has an affinity for ACC schools, and has never warmed to USC. He knows the history of the ACC pretty well, and knows the negative interactions of the McGuire days. Probably doesn't help his opinion of USC.

And now the REAL reason Morris wrote this article:

"The fact is, not one game came close to selling out because USC plays in an 18,000-seat arena that is too big for basketball. (It probably is too big for concerts as well. Touring bands rarely play in arenas that size these days because they cannot sell them out. That is a story for another day.)"
Morris hated the CLA idea. Hated everything about it. Hated McGee for it. Hated USC for it. Hated it during the vision stage, hated during construction, and has hated it every day since. That statement he made starts with "The fact is...", and then goes on to say "an 18,000 seat arena is too big...". That's not fact, that's opinion. His opinion. But he writes it as fact.

Ron Morris is a horrible journalist. My opinion, and one Morris continues to help prove to be true.

Like it or not...Ron Morris is correct.

Its really not that big of a deal, and after all its Women's basketball

This post was edited on 3/25 6:27 PM by bosoxcock

There was this idea all year that the women's games were "packed." Aside from a couple of games (Kentucky was one), that was nowhere close to being accurate....But we came nowhere close to filling CLA and that includes last weekend.
If WBB hosting is anything like baseball none of that makes any difference and is in no way stacking the deck. Bids are submitted guaranteeing the payout to the NCAA. If not enough tickets are sold to cover the guarantee, though shitsky, pay anyway.

How is reporting attendance numbers the same way the majority of universities "stacking the deck"?

That is the slant that pisses me off.

I don't care if what he says is accurate, it's slanted to generate a negative impression. And even if it is accurate and all universities do it, why write the article directing it toward USC? Why not title it "Attendance numbers across the nation are inflated".

I think you know why, and you're being contrary.

I'm glad I don't buy that rag, I don't read his worthless ramblings and I don't help pay his salary.

Ron Morris is not correct. Find one article released by USC that says any game was sold out. All reports have been attendance is up snd thanking the fans. They have said the Uk game was close and one time last year against the taters they did a dollar promotion and it was close. The only thing Ron is correct about is 11k is little less than half full. Nice back hand slap attempt. Anyone that thought you could never walk up and get tickets to a game probably gets their news from the state paper.

No doubt, when you are use to 500 people at a game and average 10k that it feels like a sell out.

The crazy stuff about how many tickets are sold and how many showed up is debatable till eternity. Not mentioned or included is group tickets .. Etc. Groups will buy a minimum of say 50 and only half the group shows or a company appreciation thing. They buy a block not knowing who is going to show up. How many groups tickets were bought and how many weren't used? (Statistics) In the end it was back hand slap at the ladies progress. That is why it was pulled.

If I cared that much, I'd worry about his brain. This article which was

preceded by one in which he alluded to Frank McGuire basically being an arsonist and being behind the Field House being burned down.

Sigh....I don't read him, but several Gamecock friends of mine had read the one about the FH rumor.

GOCOCKS! BEATGA! BEATUN-CAROLINA!

This lazy bottom feeder is not capable of any good breaking news. The bottom is where all of the nasty, dishonest,morally wrong things gather and if one chooses to sink to the bottom rather than float or swim, then all we can expect from this one is crap, innuendo, spitefulness, jealousy, etc. Garbage in - garbage out. Starve the truth, but feed the rumors. Hardly a virtue.

Originally posted by bosoxcock:

Then why has he never made this kind of point about attendance at moo u football games? For years you could read the word "Tigers" in the upper deck when a team punted the ball at tater games, and you would get attendance figures of 85K in the state rag. The tigers would be considered one of the highest attendance schools for football when friends of mine who attended the games would say they doubted there were 65K there. Wonder why Morris never used the same angle for that? I'm just sayin....

LSU baseball use to always report paid and actual attendance. Not sure if they still do. I commend them for doing that and wish we would too. I guess we're afraid of how it would look. Butts in the seats matter people.
Posted from Rivals Mobile

Originally posted by bosoxcock:

Correct or not, he has a schtick people fall for time and time again. Yes he is a punk but he's simple. He's negative towards all the positive things about the university and he's positive towards all the things are fans are complaining about. Maybe it makes him feel smart always going against the general attitude of the majority.

He still works there? I cancelled my sub to The Snake years ago because of that tool.......Sent a letter advising them that once he quit, retired or was fired I would glady renew.

For those of you defending Ron, here is the problem: it's a freaking DOUBLE STANDARD and it always is with USC press coverage. Even guys I know that are HUGE Clemson fans laugh about how they report attendance at their athletic events. They've pumped the numbers forever and everyone knows it. Has there ever been an article questioning them on it? I doubt it.

"Stack the deck" means the university fixed the system to gain an advantage. His use of this idiom suggests a couple of possibilities: 1) He actually thinks the common practice of counting tickets sold versus people in the seats gave USC an advantage, or 2) Ron Morris is a terrible, lazy writer that uses cliches and can't put the requisite thought into using the right ones. I got my money on 2.

I can't believe The State pays that guy.

For years climpson was accused of using "dream" numbers for football. Old Ronnie never printed a word about that. Ah that snake always finding a way to knock usc athletics. Of all the things to concentrate on with USC women's bb this year.

I was at every home game this year. Sure the numbers may be a little off, but if it's based on tickets sold, SC averaged selling more than 12,000 tickets per game for women's basketball. That's not an estimate, that's an awesome fact!

Funny, how he talks about fudging numbers but then he randomly guesses at how many fans were actually at games with zero actual evidence to support his numbers. At leas SC's numbers are based on sold tickets (even if some season ticket holders don't show up).

As I said, I was at every home game. I know that every SEC home game had the bottom bowl filled (a handful of empty seats, but nothing significant) and always folks in the upper deck. . Judging the numbers form the NCAA Tournament against the regular season, I don't think the official number was off by much!

Any by the way, I didn't see Ron at many homes until the NCAA tournament.

Originally posted by Titleist*:

Ok, I'll be that guy...

Jack - let's start with this - Morris: Padded numbers at women's basketball games stack the deck

The headline to the article insinuates that USC is doing something underhanded and misleading, as if they are the ONLY school that counts tickets sold, not cheeks in the seats. Like an earlier poster said, all schools, leagues, and concerts report attendance based on ticket sales. This is just a pathetic stab by Morris to gain some attention to his otherwise forgettable existence.
Well stated Titleist! Morris typifies the Clemsonesque rationale; that being, the issue is not an issue unless Carolina is the beneficiary or originator...

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT