ADVERTISEMENT

Roper is expected (from owl board) to be Rice head coach

Sounds like they think he is the new Rice coach.
http://csnbbs.com/thread-836067.html

credit to 3&out...
giphy.gif

I really believe Roper would be a good choice for Rice. Perry Orth said that Muschamp told Roper to open up the offense in the 3rd quarter in last year's bowl game when we fell behind by 17. At that point, we came back to tie the game in regulation. Also, I'm told, that Orth says that Muschamp does the game planning for both the offense and defense before each game. I believe that Roper has been hamstrung by a defense-oriented coach here. When he worked for an offense-oriented coach in David Cutcliffe, Roper produced.. Time will tell. But, I believe Roper would do a fantastic job for Rice.

I really believe Roper would be a good choice for Rice. Perry Orth said that Muschamp told Roper to open up the offense in the 3rd quarter in last year's bowl game when we fell behind by 17. At that point, we came back to tie the game in regulation. Also, I'm told, that Orth says that Muschamp does the game planning for both the offense and defense before each game. I believe that Roper has been hamstrung by a defense-oriented coach here. When he worked for an offense-oriented coach in David Cutcliffe, Roper produced.. Time will tell. But, I believe Roper would do a fantastic job for Rice.
Interesting.. because none of Muschamps OCs have performed well !

If true, then mUSChamp needs to mind his own business and let the OC do his job...

And pin those looses to Clemson on mUSChamp...

Reactions: GSGP69 and Brace1

I love the Orth report on 107.5

That may be true but Roper is the one calling the plays during the game. I don't think team has a game plan that says "3 and out".

That may be true but Roper is the one calling the plays during the game. I don't think team has a game plan that says "3 and out".
A new OC without Muschamp changing his approach to offense, at least tweaking his offensive philosophy, will be nothing more than window dressing. Roper has been Muschamp's OC for only half his time as a Head Coach. But, the results on offense have been similar during every one of Muschamp's six years as a Head Coach. What will we say if Roper becomes Rice's Head Coach and his offense is scoring 35+ points/game, while we are doing more of the same on offense? Will it still be Roper's fault?

We will find out a lot about Muschamp by the next OC he hires. If it's an old re-tread then you know Muschamp has his nose in it. If it's someone outside the box that we could get excited about then maybe it'll work out finally.

A new OC without Muschamp changing his approach to offense, at least tweaking his offensive philosophy, will be nothing more than window dressing. Roper has been Muschamp's OC for only half his time as a Head Coach. But, the results on offense have been similar during every one of Muschamp's six years as a Head Coach. What will we say if Roper becomes Rice's Head Coach and his offense is scoring 35+ points/game, while we are doing more of the same on offense? Will it still be Roper's fault?
Interesting question but that particular league is a different animal, I think.

Reactions: Brace1
Muschamp coaching tree in some regards produces taller trees then him. See Dan Quinn

Hope the Muschamp tree grows very tall here.

Roper may do very well there

Interesting question but that particular league is a different animal, I think.

No doubt. A different animal on offense and defense personnel. All things are relative. The fact is that if Roper becomes Head Coach at Rice and his offense produces like it did for Cutcliffe at Duke just prior to joining Muschamp at Florida, while we have a typical Muschamp year on offense, I think there's going to be a melt down on this board of epic proportions for the ages.

If he ain’t the man NEXT man up

Also, I'm told, that Orth says that Muschamp does the game planning for both the offense and defense before each game.

If that's true, then it's no wonder why he failed at Florida.

And with all his good points, he is going to fail here. That is just not the way to do things. Spurrier, Petrino, guys like that it works with them doing the offense and calling plays. No doubt Muschamp could do that with the defense, but he hasn't shown sign one of being able to do it with offense. Plus that isn't what you should be doing as a head guy now frankly. You need to make sure you get the right guy to take care of offense. Then you relentlessly recruit and promote the brand.

Deciding whether to go for two or kick an extra point, or go for it on 4th down. That's a head coaching thing to do regardless.

But if that is actually what Muschamp is doing, he's doing it wrong. It won't matter who he brings in, and in the end he will fail here.

And to be blunt, he shouldn't be doing it for the defense either. Working with the DC, watching film, bouncing ideas is one thing. If he is micromanaging to this degree, he will change or we'll be looking again in about 3 years for a head coach.

So if Roper doesn’t get the job woukd Muschamp keep him? If so, what does that say about who he will go after if Roper does leave? It tells me Muschamp is the problem and he will probably hire someone who reminds us of Roper. I don’t have confidence in Muschamp to make a splash hire. Hopefully I’m eating crow for New Year’s!

Spurrier won quite a few games here by having a similar plan. It only works if you can get first downs and score some points though. Every coach knows that including Muschamp.

If that's true, then it's no wonder why he failed at Florida.

And with all his good points, he is going to fail here. That is just not the way to do things. Spurrier, Petrino, guys like that it works with them doing the offense and calling plays. No doubt Muschamp could do that with the defense, but he hasn't shown sign one of being able to do it with offense. Plus that isn't what you should be doing as a head guy now frankly. You need to make sure you get the right guy to take care of offense. Then you relentlessly recruit and promote the brand.

Deciding whether to go for two or kick an extra point, or go for it on 4th down. That's a head coaching thing to do regardless.

But if that is actually what Muschamp is doing, he's doing it wrong. It won't matter who he brings in, and in the end he will fail here.

And to be blunt, he shouldn't be doing it for the defense either. Working with the DC, watching film, bouncing ideas is one thing. If he is micromanaging to this degree, he will change or we'll be looking again in about 3 years for a head coach.
You may be right and probably are, but remember he is a Saban disciple also. Saban controls both....or are you forgetting the clashes with Kiffin on the sideline.

Sounds like they think he is the new Rice coach.
http://csnbbs.com/thread-836067.html

credit to 3&out...

Wow, if you read through the entire thread there are a lot of opinions and mixed reaction from the Owl faithful. Some are calling him SC's "reject" while others are questioning his experience and resume. He's not the home run hire they are wanting [insert joke]. LOL.

Wow, if you read through the entire thread there are a lot of opinions and mixed reaction from the Owl faithful. Some are calling him SC's "reject" while others are questioning his experience and resume. He's not the home run hire they are wanting [insert joke]. LOL.
Rice football and "homerun hire" don't belong in the same sentence. What exactly would be a HR hire for Rice?

If Rice hires Kurt Roper. they are not hiring Will Muschamp's Offensive Coordintor. Would you, based on our offense this past two years? No. They will be hiring David Cutcliffe's Offensive Coordinator, after talking with Cutcliffe.

When Muschamp was hired, I thought he said he would run an offense similar to Auburn's. Have we run that? I have not seen it.

By the way, I'm afraid if Rice hires Roper, Muschamp will hire Rhett Lashlee, UCONN's OC. Lashlee took a $250,000/year pay cut to go from being Auburn's OC to being UCONN's OC. That does not make sense unless he was told that he had no choice. To say that he took the job because Malzhan is too involved in the Auburn offense, is a questionable reason. Lashlee leaves, Auburn wins the SEC West and UCONN's offense is 52nd in Total Offense. I'm not sure how I'd feel about hiring Lashlee. To me, he would be a borderline hire.

Rice fan here...if you told me before we started this search (which we started two seasons too late, in my opinion) that we might be hiring an OC with SEC/ACC experience as our head coach, I'd be pretty pleased. That was until we heard that both Stanford coordinators (both of which have a longer sustained track record of success than Roper does) and James Madison's head coach (won every place he's coached, including FCS national championship last year) were also potentially being considered. At that point, Roper went from being a Wagyu filet mignon to a porterhouse, if you want to use a steak analogy.

Rice fan here...if you told me before we started this search (which we started two seasons too late, in my opinion) that we might be hiring an OC with SEC/ACC experience as our head coach, I'd be pretty pleased. That was until we heard that both Stanford coordinators (both of which have a longer sustained track record of success than Roper does) and James Madison's head coach (won every place he's coached, including FCS national championship last year) were also potentially being considered. At that point, Roper went from being a Wagyu filet mignon to a porterhouse, if you want to use a steak analogy.

Holy crap!!! Look....it's a unicorn!!!!

So if Roper doesn’t get the job woukd Muschamp keep him? If so, what does that say about who he will go after if Roper does leave? It tells me Muschamp is the problem and he will probably hire someone who reminds us of Roper. I don’t have confidence in Muschamp to make a splash hire. Hopefully I’m eating crow for New Year’s!

I just hope he searches for the best fit and doesn’t do what we always do. Take path of least resistance

If Rice hires Kurt Roper. they are not hiring Will Muschamp's Offensive Coordintor. Would you, based on our offense this past two years? No. They will be hiring David Cutcliffe's Offensive Coordinator, after talking with Cutcliffe.

When Muschamp was hired, I thought he said he would run an offense similar to Auburn's. Have we run that? I have not seen it.

By the way, I'm afraid if Rice hires Roper, Muschamp will hire Rhett Lashlee, UCONN's OC. Lashlee took a $250,000/year pay cut to go from being Auburn's OC to being UCONN's OC. That does not make sense unless he was told that he had no choice. To say that he took the job because Malzhan is too involved in the Auburn offense, is a questionable reason. Lashlee leaves, Auburn wins the SEC West and UCONN's offense is 52nd in Total Offense. I'm not sure how I'd feel about hiring Lashlee. To me, he would be a borderline hire.
I posted something similar to what you saying here on Cockytalk!

icon1.gif
Re: Bentley Offensive Philosophy
Quote:
Originally Posted by gotrice?
Lashlee has an infinitely better resume. One has called plays in a National Championship Game and the other hasn't. Again this isn't football reasoning when it comes to Bentley. He hasn't shown anything at the FBS or even FCS levels to back up what you're saying.
My Respone: brace
Rhett Lashlee took a lateral job at Connecticut; and a two hundred fifty thousand dollar pay cut!
ROTFL.gif
Why do you think that happened? Rhett Lashlee was not running that offense, it was Gus Malzahn, everybody knows this! Lashlee played QB for Gus at Shiloah, and Gus brought him up and mentored him to be an Offensive Coordinator! You're fooling yourself if you actually believe that Lashlee was running that offense at Auburn.
ROTFL.gif
He ran that high powered offense at Connecticut this year, he and Randy Edsall powered the Huskies to a 2 win season.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT