ADVERTISEMENT

Roper is expected (from owl board) to be Rice head coach

No doubt. A different animal on offense and defense personnel. All things are relative. The fact is that if Roper becomes Head Coach at Rice and his offense produces like it did for Cutcliffe at Duke just prior to joining Muschamp at Florida, while we have a typical Muschamp year on offense, I think there's going to be a melt down on this board of epic proportions for the ages.
Only if the won/lost record is unsatisfactory..

Heath Cline said this afternoon that he could find nothing on Roper and the Rice situation.

I really believe Roper would be a good choice for Rice. Perry Orth said that Muschamp told Roper to open up the offense in the 3rd quarter in last year's bowl game when we fell behind by 17. At that point, we came back to tie the game in regulation. Also, I'm told, that Orth says that Muschamp does the game planning for both the offense and defense before each game. I believe that Roper has been hamstrung by a defense-oriented coach here. When he worked for an offense-oriented coach in David Cutcliffe, Roper produced.. Time will tell. But, I believe Roper would do a fantastic job for Rice.

Did anyone tell him to open up the offense in the Clemson game?

Heath Cline said this afternoon that he could find nothing on Roper and the Rice situation.
That's because he's up against two very good candidates from Stanford. I'm sure it didn't take the Rice AD long to realize they knew what they were talking about and they're trying to find a way to not hurt Roper's feelings since he's an alumni.

So if Roper doesn’t get the job woukd Muschamp keep him? If so, what does that say about who he will go after if Roper does leave? It tells me Muschamp is the problem and he will probably hire someone who reminds us of Roper. I don’t have confidence in Muschamp to make a splash hire. Hopefully I’m eating crow for New Year’s!

No, Roper is gone regardless. Muschamp is giving him the opportunity to interview at Rice, Ole Miss, and any other quick interviews he can find. It would look better for both parties involved for Roper to find other employment.

But make no mistake, Roper doesn't have a future at SC as the OC. He will not call a ball play as the OC again at SC.

Rice fans are tracking a plane that flew in from Houston to Columbia and then back to Houston this afternoon. We could know something within the next 24 hours.

If Rice hires Kurt Roper. they are not hiring Will Muschamp's Offensive Coordintor. Would you, based on our offense this past two years? No. They will be hiring David Cutcliffe's Offensive Coordinator, after talking with Cutcliffe.

When Muschamp was hired, I thought he said he would run an offense similar to Auburn's. Have we run that? I have not seen it.

By the way, I'm afraid if Rice hires Roper, Muschamp will hire Rhett Lashlee, UCONN's OC. Lashlee took a $250,000/year pay cut to go from being Auburn's OC to being UCONN's OC. That does not make sense unless he was told that he had no choice. To say that he took the job because Malzhan is too involved in the Auburn offense, is a questionable reason. Lashlee leaves, Auburn wins the SEC West and UCONN's offense is 52nd in Total Offense. I'm not sure how I'd feel about hiring Lashlee. To me, he would be a borderline hire.
UConn’s offense in 2016 was 123rd and 52nd in 2017 under Lashlee. Don’t see an issue with that

No, Roper is gone regardless. Muschamp is giving him the opportunity to interview at Rice, Ole Miss, and any other quick interviews he can find. It would look better for both parties involved for Roper to find other employment.

But make no mistake, Roper doesn't have a future at SC as the OC. He will not call a ball play as the OC again at SC.
In the taped interview Muschamp gave previewing the bowl, his final comment regarding Roper's status was "we have to be more productive on offense". I read it as a pending separation.

In the taped interview Muschamp gave previewing the bowl, his final comment regarding Roper's status was "we have to be more productive on offense". I read it as a pending separation.
Coach talk. Everybody and their barber will know Roper is gone before a press conference will get to it. Other than injury status and waiting for a slip up those pressers are a waste of time.

Coach talk. Everybody and their barber will know Roper is gone before a press conference will get to it. Other than injury status and waiting for a slip up those pressers are a waste of time.
You had to see his expression and hear his inflexion. He was trying not to give anything away but having problems being disingenuous. I think Roper is gone regardless.

Reactions: lowcountry_cock13
You had to see his expression and hear his inflexion. He was trying not to give anything away but having problems being disingenuous. I think Roper is gone regardless.
Oh yeah I’ve watched it and all the ones throughout the season. He doesn’t give anything away he doesn’t want to.

No buzz in Houston. None of the usual local news sources in Houston that break coaching hires/firings have mentioned anything about Roper.

This search has been kept really tight by our AD...aside from the potential targets named a week ago by Bruce Feldman/Dan Wolken, there's been little new credible information.

No buzz in Houston. None of the usual local news sources in Houston that break coaching hires/firings have mentioned anything about Roper.

This search has been kept really tight by our AD...aside from the potential targets named a week ago by Bruce Feldman/Dan Wolken, there's been little new credible information.
Our AD was very tight lipped when we were doing our search.

If Rice hires Kurt Roper. they are not hiring Will Muschamp's Offensive Coordintor. Would you, based on our offense this past two years? No. They will be hiring David Cutcliffe's Offensive Coordinator, after talking with Cutcliffe.

When Muschamp was hired, I thought he said he would run an offense similar to Auburn's. Have we run that? I have not seen it.

By the way, I'm afraid if Rice hires Roper, Muschamp will hire Rhett Lashlee, UCONN's OC. Lashlee took a $250,000/year pay cut to go from being Auburn's OC to being UCONN's OC. That does not make sense unless he was told that he had no choice. To say that he took the job because Malzhan is too involved in the Auburn offense, is a questionable reason. Lashlee leaves, Auburn wins the SEC West and UCONN's offense is 52nd in Total Offense. I'm not sure how I'd feel about hiring Lashlee. To me, he would be a borderline hire.
Mentioned earlier how Lashlee took UConn offense from 123rd to 52nd in his first year. Here’s an article from UConn site. They love him and speak of getting the most production out of their players than years before.
http://dailycampus.com/stories/2017/11/30/roundtable-takeaways-from-the-uconn-football-season

That begs the question: Can he find anything on anyone else and the Rice situation? He is supposed to be a reporter.

Heath isn't a reporter, he is a talk show personality. His job isn't to do investigative reporting.

Mentioned earlier how Lashlee took UConn offense from 123rd to 52nd in his first year. Here’s an article from UConn site. They love him and speak of getting the most production out of their players than years before.
http://dailycampus.com/stories/2017/11/30/roundtable-takeaways-from-the-uconn-football-season
This kind of improvement is exactly what good/competent OC's do in their FIRST YEAR when the previous year was a disaster. Roper walked into a disaster his first year and it stayed a disaster, gets retained for a second year and still a disaster. It doesn't take 3 years for a good OC to improve an offense out of the 100's, no matter what talent is on offense.

Reactions: lowcountry_cock13
This kind of improvement is exactly what good/competent OC's do in their FIRST YEAR when the previous year was a disaster. Roper walked into a disaster his first year and it stayed a disaster, gets retained for a second year and still a disaster. It doesn't take 3 years for a good OC to improve an offense out of the 100's, no matter what talent is on offense.
What would our record have been had we been, say, 50th in total offense?

Rice fan here...if you told me before we started this search (which we started two seasons too late, in my opinion) that we might be hiring an OC with SEC/ACC experience as our head coach, I'd be pretty pleased. That was until we heard that both Stanford coordinators (both of which have a longer sustained track record of success than Roper does) and James Madison's head coach (won every place he's coached, including FCS national championship last year) were also potentially being considered. At that point, Roper went from being a Wagyu filet mignon to a porterhouse, if you want to use a steak analogy.
No, no, my Rice Owl friend. Roper is a New York strip marinated and cooked to perfection. Don't pass on this slab of delicious juiciness.

Our offense got worse after the 2015 season.
Yards/game
2015-362 ranked 103rd
2016-348 ranked 104th
2017-340 ranked 112th

Reporting is a lost art
Yup. Information can be tweeted in minutes instead of waiting around to write an article and have it edited and published. You see tweets and interviews and 5 hours later there’s an article saying the same exact thing.

Heath isn't a reporter, he is a talk show personality. His job isn't to do investigative reporting.
That may be true. But his observation means nothing without addressing whether there is any updated news regarding other coaches. It's just a banal statement.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT