ADVERTISEMENT

Rubber Game today

jbouton

May 27, 2012
We will truly see Johnny Wholestaff today. I can't even guess who may start. Keep the bats going and we have a shot.

Where did the phrase "rubber game" originate?

Most sources date the use of the term "rubber" to refer to a tie-breaker as far back as 1599, and the term had migrated to card games by the 18th century. Referring to a tie-breaking game as a "rubber match" is common in a variety of sports and games from bridge to baseball.

The sporting term rubber match refers to the final and deciding game in any series and traces its origins back to the 16th century English game of lawn bowling.

Most sources date the use of the term "rubber" to refer to a tie-breaker as far back as 1599, and the term had migrated to card games by the 18th century. Referring to a tie-breaking game as a "rubber match" is common in a variety of sports and games from bridge to baseball.

The sporting term rubber match refers to the final and deciding game in any series and traces its origins back to the 16th century English game of lawn bowling.

“Rubber game”. Hmmm, sounds like some of those frat parties way back in the day.

Because the series could bounce either way.

Sounded like Demurias may start. He only pitched briefly yesterday. He pitched at UF his freshman year.

So it doesn't have anything to do with rubber, then.

Blair has always been a horrible batter. Only on team for his speed and defense. I know he's filling in for injured Hopkins. Doesnt help us any to have him at bat with two outs in 8th badly needing a hit.

That's a series that would have us taking a step forward. I am very disappointed.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT