ADVERTISEMENT

Rushing the ball on UK

Kentucky is a much better team and program that should wipe the floor with us, you have seen that the last 7 years where we only have won once against them. Fact is we are above Vanderbilt in the SEC but that's it. 4-8 is best case scenario this year, probably next year as well.

Reactions: Brace1 and OnUK
Guys UK fan here - UK defense plays vanilla as hell - Stoops is very conservative - he hates big plays - we don’t blitz we get no pressure and we just try to bend but not break.
We are -6 on turnovers and quite frankly have been very sloppy yet very explosive
Our new QB has a cannon but has some Brett Farve in him
UK needs to pound the ball and not get impatient trying to force throws.
I expect both teams to be jacked Saturday night
Turnovers will be key - I would just like to see the Cats play a clean game and quit being undisciplined
Good luck

Missouri like South Carolina is 2-1 on the season. Kentucky like UGA is 3-0. UGA has played against one (1) SEC opponent thus far, and that was us. Kentucky has ALSO played one (1) SEC opponent thus far, and that was Missouri. We played away in Athens. They played at home in Lexington.

UGA's SEC Scoring Defense thus far through 3 games: 2nd
Missouri's Scoring Defense thus far: 14th
UGA's Rushing Defense: 4th
Missouri's Rushing Defense: 14th
UGA's Passing Defense: 3rd
Missouri's Passing Defense: 7th
UGA's Total Defense: 1st
Missouri's Total Defense: 14th

Kentucky beat up on a Louisiana-Monroe team from the Sunbelt. UL-M is dead last in the Sunbelt offensively: they've only played 2 games thus far, against Kentucky and FCS Jackson State. They beat Jackson State 12-7. They scored all 12 of their points against Jackson State from 4 field goals. They had 250 total yds against Jackson State. Jackson State had 285 yds.

They are averaging 11.0 ppg, and 168.5 total yds of offense per game thus far.

FCS Chattanooga gained 339 total yds against Kentucky, to UK's 356 total yds. Had one more play overall than UK. Had twice as many redzone opportunities. Had the superior time of possession on offense. UK had 3 turnovers to Chattanooga's 1. Chattanooga led on the score 16-14 in the 4th quarter.

What was posted above is still true however: we are 1-6 against UK over the past 7 games, so we are in no position to boast about anything. UK owns us right now, until we do something about that. But based on how UK has played thus far this season, they are NO UGA, by FAAARRRR. This is a winnable game, if the team comes prepared for it....

We're going to magically begin running the ball against KY when we couldn't even run it against EIU and ECU? I don't think so. While I keep hearing people say this is fixable, you have to show me first before I believe it.

Reactions: 92Pony and cadcock
Gauging UK as a team using the Chattanooga game would be the same as gauging us using the EIU game.
Their game landed between a win over Mizzou and the upcoming game against us. Typical trap/hangover game.
I don't make much of that game from last week, and certainly not to use as a measuring stick for this weeks outcome.

Gauging UK as a team using the Chattanooga game would be the same as gauging us using the EIU game.
Their game landed between a win over Mizzou and the upcoming game against us. Typical trap/hangover game.
I don't make much of that game from last week, and certainly not to use as a measuring stick for this weeks outcome.

No, but I think they present a much more reasonable SEC opponent to use for gauging our run game. If the run game doesn't get kickstarted this week, then I think it's safe to say it just isn't happening this year.

On thing I can promise is they view our game the way we view Vanderbilt and think it is a win and they should. Stoops will have them fired up and ready to play so we will get their best shot and we must play well to get the win, which we also believe is possible.

Let's run some basic plays. I feel like some of our run plays have people out of sync at the snap. Overthinking it a little at times. Basic plays to Harris on early downs should work

Agreed. And I hope we can figure out something of a RB rotation and ID our top 2 backs. I don't like what we're doing so far. We have 4 guys who have equal reps at the position, That's too much "equity." Seems like anytime a RB has a couple or 3 decent runs, he gets pulled for someone else. Whatever happened to riding the hot hand? And I'm not talking about spelling a guy after he breaks of a long run. Multiple times we've had a back get 2 or 3 nice little 4 or 5 yard runs in a row, and then he gets pulled.

This is the most important game of the season for us and I'm not just saying that because it's the "next game."

Kentucky is the third best program in the SEC East since we and Mizzou fell from power. We need to get back to that third position over the next three years. We need to win 3 of the four games against UK, Tennessee, Mizzou and Vandy and three of our non-cons to minimally qualify for a bowl - which would help us greatly in the coming years. zto me, Kentucky is the most important of the 4 conference games because they have owned us for most of the past decade.

After going 10-0 against them early this century, we fans marked them as a win in every pre-season. Even when they broke that string, we arrogantly assumed a win because we had more talent than them. However, Stoops out coached our coaches in the second decade of the century and our talent level is not close to what it was even during Muschamp's years.

Shane,: let's line up and hit 'em in the mouth instead of letting them hit us in the mouth. Motivate those linemen on BOTH sides of the ball. Coach it straight up. No risky passing from the endzone. No passing up field goals. Play it like an NFL coach. That's what Stoops has done in raising them above us.

Go 'Cocks! Go Beamer.

We're going to magically begin running the ball against KY when we couldn't even run it against EIU and ECU? I don't think so. While I keep hearing people say this is fixable, you have to show me first before I believe it.
The problem is that they've been daring us to throw, but our OL has been so atrocious that we can't pass to force teams to stop loading the box. UGA didn't have to load the box, but both EIU and ECU sent LB blitzes on almost every play. IF we can get our OL to block and start completing passes, then we will begin to have success running the ball.

Also, on a side note, why aren't we just copying some of the run design plays we used last year with Bobo? He may not be a great OC, but his teams ALWAYS run the ball well. Why did we change what was working?

UK fan here, hope you're ok with me posting. I think we are slated to have one of the better games of the weekend. Thought I might give a little bit of a perspective from UK side. The bad and the good.

One reason why we have gotten hype this year (outside the fact that ESPN needs to hype someone other than Georgia and Florida) is because of the hiring of Coen and the fact we have a QB that can throw now. For the past few years, we have had "all the pieces" to have a really good team, except a QB and better schemes. Coen was a grand slam hire and most of us expect him to only stay this season, maybe 2 tops before being offered a big gig. Levis (the qb) is more of an enigma. He looked great game 1, but has went downhill since. He has a great arm for long passes. But throws a lot interceptions. And he tends to throw behind the receiver on medium slants.

To me, our vaunted "Big Blue Wall" is a little overrated. This is not the dominant line of the past few seasons. We have one guy Kinnard who is a guaranteed top lineman to be picked in the draft. Other than him, we're solid but not great. We have 2 burners at receiver and everything behind that is a mystery. And of course Rodriguez can pound away at a defense.

Defensively we have a ton of question marks. Originally this looked to be our strength coming in. But because of off the field issues with like our whole 2nd string secondary, (they are tied up in a court case) our schemes are very vanilla. It appears we do not want any of our DB's to be put in a precarious situation, or asked to do much. Because if one gets an injury, we will be using a guy from 3rd string, and most likely a true freshman. So we have schemed to just keep everything in front of us. Of course this has worked out terribly because our D-Line can't get pressure. The linebackers are forced to play up front and then our secondary gets nickel and dimed all the way down the field.

The UTC game was more of an emotional trap game than anything so I wouldnt use that as a judgement. I did watch the ECU game and you guys are very resilient and theres no quit. From what I seen (and I could be wrong) your strengths are the defensive line, especially interior. And your secondary looked pretty good for the most part. Receivers looked good as well. I guess (and again I could be wrong) you look susceptible to problems on the offensive line. And you've had issues at QB I think?

Your weakness (the oline) is negated by the fact our d-line hasn't done anything. And the fact that you have a solid secondary and a great d-line makes me worry for our offense.

Right now, I think you all are due either a really good game, or a really bad game. I hope it's the latter, but I think you all win this weekend. I predicted preseason this would be your first big win under Beamer and I'm sticking with it. By a field goal.

Guys UK fan here - UK defense plays vanilla as hell - Stoops is very conservative - he hates big plays - we don’t blitz we get no pressure and we just try to bend but not break.
We are -6 on turnovers and quite frankly have been very sloppy yet very explosive
Our new QB has a cannon but has some Brett Farve in him
UK needs to pound the ball and not get impatient trying to force throws.
I expect both teams to be jacked Saturday night
Turnovers will be key - I would just like to see the Cats play a clean game and quit being undisciplined
Good luck
Thanks for the candid post, what you said can be said for USC as well. I think we will see a very close hard fought game and whoever wins the turn over margin wins the game. And maybe a little special teams play may factor in.

On a side note, I live in SC but have family in Kentucky. On a recent visit to the northern Kentucky/Cincinnati area, I ran into an older very big guy wearing a UK blue shirt. I asked how Big Blue would be this year in basketball and he said he had no idea and didn't much care, but they were looking forward to some football. He went on to tell me his brother was the O-line coach for UK and Stoops had done a great job there. They have changed the culture somewhat.

Last edited:
Reactions: chief2791
Kentucky is a lot like us in one regard. They seem to play down to the level of the competition at times, so I don't put any stock in the ULM and Chattanooga games.
They beat Missouri, which is obviously a much better win than either of ours. I expect a tough game. We will have to play a lot better than we have so far in order to beat them.

Reactions: JOEFANATIC

This will probably be an issue all season. It’s been 3 games and it should have been addressed and fixed after game 1 if it could have been fixed. If they are not able to diagnose and correct the issues after the first two games then I just don’t see how they improve going forward. It’s almost as if they do not understand the offense as a whole. Maybe if they simplify the entire offense then maybe they can make progress but this will limit everything else they can do offensively. This is how a team becomes a predictable offense. Something we are used to. Not trying to be negative at all. These guys have been thrown new systems almost every year. It’s not like they have been able to stick to one scheme and build upon that year after year. It’s a complete mess right now which is to be expected with all of the coaching turnover.

Reactions: Flameout12
Chattanooga put up 6.1 ypc against them. I'm sure that was something of an anomaly, but Mizzou put up 4.3 ypc. This is a good game to find out of if we have any hope of getting the run game going this season.

I don’t see a path to a win without success running the ball (barring a turnover-fest or something strange).

Stoops has owned us for nearly a decade, if Beamer pulls this one out, I’ll give him a hat tip.

But honestly, I’m expecting a loss and our OL will get pushed around.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT