ADVERTISEMENT

Saban: Bama looking to close the gap with USC

If he was really serious about that, he'd support what every serious fan ought to support - a move to nine SEC games every year. It's easy to get to 10 Power 5 games from there. We would already be there since we play UPC annually.

You would be hard pressed to find many SC fans that would be ready to sign up for a 9 game SEC schedule if they thought about it for a minute
The AD and university likes it just like it is now

You would be hard pressed to find many SC fans that would be ready to sign up for a 9 game SEC schedule if they thought about it for a minute
The AD and university likes it just like it is now
The SEC needs to go to nine conference games - and excluding historical rivalries - play a completely round-robin schedule. Throw out divisional play altogether and fill the championship game with a points system. Let's shake this thing up and give the fans a treat.

If he was really serious about that, he'd support what every serious fan ought to support - a move to nine SEC games every year. It's easy to get to 10 Power 5 games from there. We would already be there since we play UPC annually.
The only problem with 9 SEC games would be that we would never play a non conference P5 not named Clemsux.

Reactions: Brace1
The only problem with 9 SEC games would be that we would never play a non conference P5 not named Clemsux.
Wouldn't be a problem in my book - if we were to get back to beating them. Whom would you rather see us play and beat?

But here's the thing: value for the fans has to increase. That means more quality opponents. Nothing achieves that more readily for the conferences currently stuck on eight games - the SEC and the ACC - than adding a ninth conference game.

I’d actually prefer to play every SEC team, every year, but I don’t play, and we also need to boot the 2 teams who don’t belong. We definitely need to play the West more. This every 9 years is ridickalous with Bama. All the small state schools and Akron’s? Gone. Add one real OOC like FSU used to do (besides UF), make it 13 games if need be, if you wanna keep the rivals, that’s fine. I don’t care if we led Clemson 100-10, they can go. Looking at the 2020 schedule is as exciting as painting. Add some ND, Washington, UCLA, Colorado, etc....

The only reason I would support a 9 game schedule would be to play some western foes more than once or twice a decade, although it would be at the expense of losing the option to schedule interesting OOC games. I actually enjoy the early season SEC OOC regional/cross regional games. In reality this could be accomplished with the 8 game schedule by getting rid of these permanent crossover games. We basically have two matchups stifling the rest of the conference, Auburn/UGA, and UT/Bama.

1. Auburn vs. Georgia
  2. Kentucky vs. Mississippi State
  3. Florida vs. LSU
  4. Alabama vs. Tennessee
  5. Ole Miss vs. Vanderbilt
  6. Arkansas vs. Missouri
  7. South Carolina vs. Texas A&M

Auburn/UGA I get. EweT hasn't been competitive against Bama in nearly 15 years. It's time to switch it up. UF and LSU would love to get a breather. It's a shame that we can go a decade and possibly only see a team once. We should be able to cycle through the SEC so that every team plays home and away every 4 years. Each graduating class should be able to say that they've played every school in the SEC. It would make the league better. In years where those historical matchups don't occur, let the schools have the ability to schedule each other out of conference, but it wouldn't affect their SEC record. This scenario would only have to happen occasionally.

or

Increase the schedule to 14-16 games, add in additional bye weeks, and go round robin. Decrease bowl games so that teams only truly deserving have a chance and there you have it. Teams are already playing 14-15 games in a season. Shouldn't be too much of a problem for the other 99% that don't make the playoffs.

Last edited:
Reactions: lostcock
That'd be fine with me. We're not exactly stepping out and playing any interesting P5 opponents as it is.
You're right there....I'd love to see us step out and play someone not in the ACC...Seems the only P5 non conference teams we play are Clemtech, NCST, UNC. Wish we would step out and play a Big 12 team. Hell, I'd rather play someone like Texas/OU than App St. We have nothing to gain from playing them.

Reactions: Proudcock
Actually Saban is the one SEC coach that has been pushing for a 9 game conference schedule for several years now.

Actually Saban is the one SEC coach that has been pushing for a 9 game conference schedule for several years now.
Yeah but as it has already been stated, a 9 game P5 schedule for Saban is a 10 game P5 schedule for us. Let him play 10 first.

Good to know, but he should have said it while making this particular statement since it speaks to the problem he was addressing.

But here's the thing: value for the fans has to increase. That means more quality opponents. Nothing achieves that more readily for the conferences currently stuck on eight games - the SEC and the ACC - than adding a ninth conference game.
I'm not a big fan of the 9 game SEC schedule due to the imbalance of home and away games over the SEC schedule. I'd rather have the 10th P5 game to schedule 2-game series with out-of-conference P5 teams.

But I completely agree with you about increased value for the fans. My eyes roll every time I hear or read about an athletic department official (ours and others) talk about multi-million dollar upgrades to the stadium to "increase fan experience" and justify the ever-increasing prices of tickets. They could increase the fan experience while also increasing ticket-revenue by scheduling more compelling matchups.

Reactions: king ward
. Hell, I'd rather play someone like Texas/OU than App St. We have nothing to gain from playing them.
Everybody else wants to play Texas and OU also, so I wouldn't count on those guys being available very often. But OK State and Texas Tech would also be better than App State. I think series with Nebraska, Michigan State, and WVU would be possibilities as well. Within the ACC, I'd like to play Va. Tech, Louisville, Pitt, or GT occasionally to break up the North Carolina monotony. I don't like the trend of kicking off every season in Charlotte against a team from North Carolina.

Heck since your division record don’t mean squat just roll out 8-9 SEC opponents regardless of divisions.
They could even make it Bloodsport style.
Bloodsport-Frank-Dux.jpg

Everybody else wants to play Texas and OU also, so I wouldn't count on those guys being available very often. But OK State and Texas Tech would also be better than App State. I think series with Nebraska, Michigan State, and WVU would be possibilities as well. Within the ACC, I'd like to play Va. Tech, Louisville, Pitt, or GT occasionally to break up the North Carolina monotony. I don't like the trend of kicking off every season in Charlotte against a team from North Carolina.

Yes, lots of possible matchups that would be FAR more interesting for the fans. ACC has several teams that would generate a lot of interest...VaTech, FSU, Miami, even BC would be more interesting than UNC/NC State.

But would definitely love to see us pick up a series with a midwest school..Nebraska, Minnesota, Wisconsin, Michigan State etc.

Reactions: A_F_Deerhunter
Yes, exceptionally. Generally that format is for a quote or paraphrase. Saban didn't ever once mention they'd like to be like us.
Is this title misleading?

Get over it. It was a bit of joke. Cry me a river. It's no worse (far better, actually) than the stupid cliffhanger titles everyone uses: "Muschamp say practices will now..."

I'm ok with playing GT now...but I would have been calling for someone's head if we played a Paul Johnson GT team

Michigan State would have a storyline with their coach being an alum and letterman. Plus, that game would be highly competitive. App State is boring and as stated earlier, it’s lose/lose. We win? We’re supposed to. We lose? How the hell can you lose! Heck, even a competitive game makes us look like a lesser program.

Michigan State would have a storyline with their coach being an alum and letterman. Plus, that game would be highly competitive. App State is boring and as stated earlier, it’s lose/lose. We win? We’re supposed to. We lose? How the hell can you lose! Heck, even a competitive game makes us look like a lesser program.

Yes, playing a good, non-conference P5 team to open the season is really a win-win. A loss really doesn't hurt you. It's a no-brainer.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT