ADVERTISEMENT

Saban needs to retire now. Game has passed him by

cockynchicago#

Dec 29, 2000
Getting owned against an SEC West rival. He's now let Ole Miss pass Bama. He's 63. Time to go.

Getting owned against an SEC West rival. He's now let Ole Miss pass Bama. He's 63. Time to go.
Fail Fail
Spurrier should stay til he's 100, right?

Holbrook too.

Keep paying big $$ to watch 5-7 football. I won't.

Come on Chicago. We only hate Gamecock coaches here. Everyone else is awesome.

Keep up, would you?
I don't think anyone here hates Gamecock coaches. However, I don't think anyone here is please with the performance of the current coaches last season and so far this season. I don't know anyone who enjoys losing.

128-double-facepalm-when-the-fail-is-so-strong-one-facepalm-is-not-enough.jpg

I understand that people here follow college football with their hearts on their sleeves more so than their brains.

The problem is not the coaching. It's the drop off in talent.

We had several Top 10 recruiting classes followed by a Top 15 class in 2012. We saw what this coaching staff did with that from 2011 - 2013.

We then dropped off quite precipitously from 2013 - 2015. And I don't have the numbers but I imagine we also experienced a higher number of players that never saw the field. We're seeing what happens with that less talented group currently.

Again, I expect few to get this... so fire Spurrier now.

I understand that people here follow college football with their hearts on their sleeves more so than their brains.

We had several Top 10 recruiting classes followed by a Top 15 class in 2012. We saw what this coaching staff did with that from 2011 - 2013.

We then dropped off quite precipitously from 2013 - 2015. And I don't have the numbers but I imagine we also experienced a higher number of players that never saw the field. We're seeing what happens with that less talented group currently.

Then we need to hire better recruiters and fire the ones we have.

The drop off in talent is the coach's fault. Don't understand your reasoning at all.

You don't seem to understand who recruits the players.

Reactions: bmhood1984
Agree, but EJ, Lawing and Graham were responsible for getting a lot of those recruits that got us those 11 win seasons.
I fully agree.

However, the head coach is responsible for hiring recruiters to replace those players. A football program is not a snapshot in time; it is an ongoing program that has to develop year after year. The head coach is responsible to see that recruiting does not drop off from year to year.

I fully agree.

However, the head coach is responsible for hiring recruiters to replace those players. A football program is not a snapshot in time; it is an ongoing program that has to develop year after year. The head coach is responsible to see that recruiting does not drop off from year to year.
Oh, I agree.

Fail Fail
Spurrier should stay til he's 100, right?

Holbrook too.
cc:
....Keep paying big $$ to watch 5-7 football. I won't.

....................................................................................
Well I PAID TO see us play in ATHENS vs UGA. And yes, It's disappointing. But what about the FOUR times of five that we BEAT a school (UGA) that since 1890 has AVERAGED BEATING US MORE THAN 3 times out of 4? I've got to keep things in perspective !
Spurrier is still BY FAR the coach who has given us more winning seasons on a sustained basis. And he's the one who has MADE us a a little spoiled. Some of us supposed "Gamecock fans" don't remember just 15 years ago, we were glad to had 6 wins and MAYBE a bowl game win (Our worst year in 2014-15 is we HAD that, totally.). Nothing wrong w/wanting a great product on the field, but in this tiny state of South Carolina that sometimes has recruiting talent and some years not, to expect we're going to win 11 games EVERY year is possibly realistic--possibly not.
(OH, after the game, when I personally told Hoke afterwards, here at Athens, "I'm going to still support you", he said: "Next week (vs Central Florida) the defense is going to do better; I promise you that." So, GO GAMECOCKS !

CliffordII/Gamecock in Athens

Then we need to hire better recruiters and fire the ones we have.
I 100% agree w/ the guy that says "It's not that Coach Spurrier needs to be fired, Carolina just need increased recruited talent.
Hint: One of the only 3 NFL AND College Champion Coaches just said exactly that last week, when Spurrier lost to Kentucky.

....................................................................................
Well I PAID TO see us play in ATHENS vs UGA. And yes, It's disappointing. But what about the FOUR times of five that we BEAT a school (UGA) that since 1890 has AVERAGED BEATING US MORE THAN 3 times out of 4? I've got to keep things in perspective !
Spurrier is still BY FAR the coach who has given us more winning seasons on a sustained basis. And he's the one who has MADE us a a little spoiled. Some of us supposed "Gamecock fans" don't remember just 15 years ago, we were glad to had 6 wins and MAYBE a bowl game win (Our worst year in 2014-15 is we HAD that, totally.). Nothing wrong w/wanting a great product on the field, but in this tiny state of South Carolina that sometimes has recruiting talent and some years not, to expect we're going to win 11 games EVERY year is possibly realistic--possibly not.
(OH, after the game, when I personally told Hoke afterwards, here at Athens, "I'm going to still support you", he said: "Next week (vs Central Florida) the defense is going to do better; I promise you that." So, GO GAMECOCKS !

Look I'm probably as old as you, maybe even older. I suffered through Bell, enjoyed Morrison, endured Sparky/Scott, watched Holtz and now HBC. It's 10^2 more expensive to watch atrocious football now.

Reactions: Kitchenlabs

It should by default. They just lost to furman

That's not what defines a good program... Beating georgia at home does.

I don't think Spurrier ever "enjoyed" recruiting, but at least he used to surround himself with good coaches. If he'd had a 12-year run like he did at UF somewhere other than UF (Duke?) than that would be really impressive. Florida as a state has/had enough players to litter just about the entire rosters of 3 major schools in the 1990's, that at any given time were better than anyone else in CFB. Look at this for perspective, between 1990-2001, UF/FSU/UM were involved in 9 out of 12 MNC's. That is insane, and domination from a single state we'll never see again. He probably turned away more 4-5 stars then we even have visit us now. Sucks, but a new guy with a lot to prove could be the answer. Recruiting is a hell of a lot more involved now, and we need closers.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT