ADVERTISEMENT

Sad news for old school "wrestling" fans.

My father literally loved watching the rasslin in the 60s. My older brother took my father for his birthday to the Township Auditorium in Columbia to watch some matches and he came back home so disappointed. I knew a lot of it was fake but he didn't believe it until he saw it. I felt so sorrow for him. He cooled his heels for a while not watching much on TV but he eventually got back to really loving it.

In the late 60’s our RAs from the church would go to the Park Center and watch rasslin with Big Bill Ward. They taped it. Then we’d go home and watch ourselves when it came on TV at 5:00.

I stumbled on to some youtube clips from Jim Cornette. Some of his stories are pretty entertaining.
Jim has a podcast that has been pretty good when you can get around his whining. And he does whine about Vince Russo and how Corette himself is never credited for all his good ideas.

Reactions: Dizzy01
I got to see Ronnie "Hands of Stone" Garvin and Magnum TA in Conway High School Gym one time. My dad took me and said he didnt have enough money on him for both of us to get in so he paid my way and went to the ATM (so he said) and didnt come back for 2 1/2 hrs. He went and hung out with some of his friends nearby and worked on cars. When we got home and my mom found out he left me at a professional wrasslin event by myself at 8 yrs old, she flipped. I thought it was going to be his last night on earth.
When I was about 12, we lived next to a Savannah PD officer who worked crowd control for wresting at the Savannah Civic Center. He'd take me along to watch. His post was in the rear of the building where the "bad guys" arrived and entered their dressing room. This was back in the day when it was all passed off as real. I'd be standing back stage, a 12 year old awestruck standing next to guys like Ric Flair and Greg Valentine.

Reactions: oakley51
anybody know how Scott Steiner is doing ?he had a heart issue I think last year.As a move,Goldberg’s spear is pretty devastating.

anybody know how Scott Steiner is doing ?he had a heart issue I think last year.As a move,Goldberg’s spear is pretty devastating.
I didn’t even know this had happened but I looked it up and nothing recent but he was at an independent show two weeks after it happened doing a Steiner math promo about how he had recovered.

Anyone on here remember Rip Hawk and Swede Hanson, Antonio Rocca, Ole Anderson, Haystack Calhoun, Bobo Brazil, Johnny Weaver
Art Thomas, Nelson Royal, Tex Mackenzie, The Scott brothers George and Sandy. Royal Kangaroos, Sailor Art Thomas and Thunder Bolt Patterson. I hated Those Royal Kangaroos something terrible as a boy.

Shoot, man, I go all the way back to Crockett Sr.,who was promoting "wrasslin" back in the 1950s, mainly around Charlotte. Park Center and the original Charlotte Coliseum.

Me too King, use to go to National Guard Armory every Sat. nigt w/ best friend & his Grand Paw who was county sheriff. Watched Johnny Weaver, Stan, the Man, Brisco Brs, Dusty Rhoads & Brusier Cody, the Kiwi Roll, Gen Von Raski, Olie & Arn, Thunderbolt Patterson & others. Got to go back stage & was shocked to see em all sitting round going over moves, playing cards, doing push ups, lifting wgts. Kinda like a band of brothers back in the day. Made very little money. Some had college degrees, worked construction, others had businesses.
Bunch of us would ride up from Wingate & catch events @ old Coliseum.
Who was the older guy who worked with Crocket SR? He was like the road mgr in charge of event setups, would sit ring side kept the card lineups.
Dem were the good ole days!

Me too King, use to go to National Guard Armory every Sat. nigt w/ best friend & his Grand Paw who was county sheriff. Watched Johnny Weaver, Stan, the Man, Brisco Brs, Dusty Rhoads & Brusier Cody, the Kiwi Roll, Gen Von Raski, Olie & Arn, Thunderbolt Patterson & others. Got to go back stage & was shocked to see em all sitting round going over moves, playing cards, doing push ups, lifting wgts. Kinda like a band of brothers back in the day. Made very little money. Some had college degrees, worked construction, others had businesses.
Bunch of us would ride up from Wingate & catch events @ old Coliseum.
Who was the older guy who worked with Crocket SR? He was like the road mgr in charge of event setups, would sit ring side kept the card lineups.
Dem were the good ole days!
Don't know about the road guy. I do remember that Big Bill Ward handled the Saturday afternoon telecasts from the WBTV studios.

Man those were some good times, my grandfather got me watching the wbtv show saturday evening mid 60’s, i don’t remember all the wrestlers, but paul jones, nelson royal, johnny weaver, rip hawk, johnny valantine and swede hanson stood out! Still laugh at my dad saying my paw paw thought it was real. Florida championship wresling with gordon solie early 70’s was pretty good too, saturday nights on wolo i think, that was a pretty crazy show there, that stepped it up a notch for sure!

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT