ADVERTISEMENT

Sad news for old school wrestling fans.

I had the privilege of meeting both Mike and Joe (Hawk and Animal) after an event in Rock Hill during the mid 80s. Both, especially Joe, were among the nicest and most genuine "celebrities" I have ever had the honor of meeting.

Thoughts and prayers to his family.

RIP Animal! (They are still the first thing I think of when I hear the first few notes of Black Sabbath's "Iron Man".)

Man, their entrance would make the hair on my arms stand up when I was a wee tike.

Woulda thought they were older than they were.

Reactions: TheReelEss
Thanks for the memories Joe. You and Mike made wrestling special in the mid 80’s to late 90’s Rest In Peace.

I kinda meet Animal at the Greenville Comic-Con a couple of years ago. You had to pay to talk to him , Arn Anderson Ricky Steamboat and Sargent Slaughter. So I just waved at them at said hi..lol

RIP Animal.

Loved the reaction when Iron Man started and hated them for spiking Dusty Rhodes eye.

Reactions: redrogers
I remember an event some thirty years ago at Kellytown Stadium (home of the Hartsville Red Foxes) where the Road Warriors were on the card. At the end of the evening as the guys were leaving, a crowd had surrounded their truck (an extremely nice dually pickup as I recall) in hopes of an autograph. Some people had begun to slap the truck with their hands to get their attention. I remember the truck coming to a jarring stop and the drivers door nearly coming off the hinges. As this hulk of a man got out, can't remember which one, the group let a cheer thinking we were getting what we wanted. How wrong we were. The Road Warrior looked over the crowd and in a tone of voice that commanded attention and respect said, "keep your f@*#ing hands off the truck". As he got back in, it was like the parting of The Red Sea the way people got out of the way. Good times, good times.

Dang I don’t know how I missed this on the news and social media today. :(

My dad met the Road Warrior’s several times at some Gym in japan in the 1980s and got to talk with them. they stayed in the same motel and worked out at the same gym. He said they pretty much acted the same way they did on TV but we’re very cool guys. RIP Animal and Hawk! My all time favorite Tag Team. The Steiner Brothers and Bushwackers are a close second.

Last edited:
Them old school wrestlers lived rough lives. RIP.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: jeff2001
It's sad that 60 is a ripe old age for a pro wrestler. I really enjoyed the Road Warriors. They were neither the good guys nor the heels, neither good nor evil. They were different. Kind of like wrasslin' mercenaries. Cool.

I remember an event some thirty years ago at Kellytown Stadium (home of the Hartsville Red Foxes) where the Road Warriors were on the card. At the end of the evening as the guys were leaving, a crowd had surrounded their truck (an extremely nice dually pickup as I recall) in hopes of an autograph. Some people had begun to slap the truck with their hands to get their attention. I remember the truck coming to a jarring stop and the drivers door nearly coming off the hinges. As this hulk of a man got out, can't remember which one, the group let a cheer thinking we were getting what we wanted. How wrong we were. The Road Warrior looked over the crowd and in a tone of voice that commanded attention and respect said, "keep your f@*#ing hands off the truck". As he got back in, it was like the parting of The Red Sea the way people got out of the way. Good times, good times.
I kinda meet Animal at the Greenville Comic-Con a couple of years ago. You had to pay to talk to him , Arn Anderson Ricky Steamboat and Sargent Slaughter. So I just waved at them at said hi..lol

As you still remember this golden moment it's too bad you didn't go ahead and spend a few additional bucks so the two of you could have bonded and become lifetime buddies.

Reactions: jeff2001
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT