ADVERTISEMENT

Satt gone per ESPN

Cock-a-Doo

Dec 8, 2009
Well, what an odd turn of events….I’m glad we got things rolling these last few weeks but it felt like a departure from whatever he was trying to force week in and week out.

So I guess it’s a “thank you and best of luck” kind of thing - likely he was going to reunite with Rhule anyways at some point

Reactions: 67gamecock
Well, what an odd turn of events….I’m glad we got things rolling these last few weeks but it felt like a departure from whatever he was trying to force week in and week out.

So I guess it’s a “thank you and best of luck” kind of thing - likely he was going to reunite with Rhule anyways at some point
Wonder if we will consider Willy Korn at Coastal? He’s pretty highly thought of from what I’m told.

Honestly this is best for everyone. He left on a good note w two incredible wins. No need for the negativity of a firing. His offense just seemed too complex and inconsistent. Those last 2 games, as wonderful as they were, seemed to be planets aligning for a brief moment. It helped us to 8-4, a great bowl and unimaginable momentum going into recruiting. He gets to start fresh without having a firing to force it.

It worked out as a win win for everyone, wish him luck! Would love to see him do well at Nebraska, football is more fun when Nebraska is good

Wonder if we will consider Willy Korn at Coastal? He’s pretty highly thought of from what I’m told.

He was Chadwells QB at North Gvill and has been on his staff at Charleston Southern and Coastal ever since. It would be a great hire

Reactions: 4usc
It worked out as a win win for everyone, wish him luck! Would love to see him do well at Nebraska, football is more fun when Nebraska is good
Agree.

Be careful what you wish for. Whoever is hired will be in the hot seat for no matter what plays he calls, there are some fans who will not be satisfied until we are 15-0 and beat every opponent by 30 points, because those fans think they could do better.

Agree.

Be careful what you wish for. Whoever is hired will be in the hot seat for no matter what plays he calls, there are some fans who will not be satisfied until we are 15-0 and beat every opponent by 30 points, because those fans think they could do better.

Haha ironically Satterfield did in fact leave a hot seat for the next OC. Fans will want a continuation of his last 2 games. As much as I criticized him, I’ll always be grateful that he obviously kept working his butt off facing a closing run vs two top 10 teams and won those games. Many coaches would’ve put it on cruise control and just focused on their next job search, he didnt and what a way to go out

I thank Satterfield for his time here, in particular the big wins against Tennessee, Clemson, and Kentucky. Glad he is getting a fresh start somewhere else, I hope he is successful except when playing the Gamecocks!

He was Chadwells QB at North Gvill and has been on his staff at Charleston Southern and Coastal ever since. It would be a great hire
Willy played HS ball at Byrnes, highly recruited, went to Clemson. Injured his shoulder and transferred to Marshall, then NG. Been on Chadwell's staff ever since.

I thank Satterfield for his time here, in particular the big wins against Tennessee, Clemson, and Kentucky. Glad he is getting a fresh start somewhere else, I hope he is successful except when playing the Gamecocks!

Certainly a tragedy.

Does he already have his tickets? Does he need a ride to the airport? I can get people to give a hand packing. I know several good Real Estate agents here and I can find one in Lincoln. I'll watch his dog until he finds his own place. I've already packed sandwiches & snacks for the trip. Can we get the Gamecock Nation to chip in for some long johns and ear muffs? He'll need them. Is there anything I can do to help???

Wonder if Pete Lembo will get consideration? He's obviously done a wonderful job with special teams and is up for the Broyles award. He's also compiled a 112-65 record as a head coach.

On Saturday, there were several times when Beamer consulted him during offensive drives when special teams wasn't in play. He might be our Moneyball guy.

Reactions: gamecockblack
Wonder if Pete Lembo will get consideration? He's obviously done a wonderful job with special teams and is up for the Broyles award. He's also compiled a 112-65 record as a head coach.

On Saturday, there were several times when Beamer consulted him during offensive drives when special teams wasn't in play. He might be our Moneyball guy.
I saw that and wondered WTH?

Reactions: Thirdcatgy
Certainly looked like the offense played with passion… just like special teams. But, Beamer said it was Satt! Don’t know?

Im of the conspiracy theory persuasion that someone else on the staff was calling plays or help with game plans. I was thinking Freddie Kitchens was the most obvious candidate. Im not sure Lembo has done much as an OC.

Im of the conspiracy theory persuasion that someone else on the staff was calling plays or help with game plans. I was thinking Freddie Kitchens was the most obvious candidate. Im not sure Lembo has done much as an OC.
Definitely looked like it could have been more "OC by committee" the last two games. Satterfield likely decided he was leaving before UT game which could also explain the "let it rip" offense over the past couple weeks.

Either way, this staff probably learned alot along the ride. Most importantly - elevate calculated risk to help level the playing field when you're facing superior talent. That's something Muschamp never did outside of the miracle in Athens. If the odds are against you, at least be original along the way and give the team a chance.

Glad he left on his own terms. Hope he takes that big ass play book with him. Nice guy but we didn’t have the players to run his style of offense. The taters are starting to understand what that looks and feels like.

Reactions: blsinsc
A-okay by me. Nebraska is a dead program anyway.
Yeah a dead program with 5 National Championships, 43 Conference Championships and consecutive home sellouts dating back to 1962. I wish our program was that dead. Right hire can make some noise in Nebraska. Playing in the Big Ten West Conference, it's an easier path than the East with Ohio St, Michigan, Mitch St and Penn State.

Reactions: gamecockblack
Glad he left on his own terms. Hope he takes that big ass play book with him. Nice guy but we didn’t have the players to run his style of offense. The taters are starting to understand what that looks and feels like.
I was re-watching the Florida game from last year. Lost in all the excitement from the last 2 weeks is the way Satterfield totally mismanaged our quarterback situation last year. Jason Brown sitting on the bench almost the entire year despite being obviously the best QB on the roster is indefensible. With halfway decent QB play we may have won an extra game or two.

Again, thank you for recent success but im glad hes leaving.

Last edited:
Win win for everyone. He was a lame duck and even with two wins in spite of himself, he wasn't going to regain the trust of anyone. Need to hire someone with an idea of what they want to accomplish on offense. A proven OC.

Yeah a dead program with 5 National Championships, 43 Conference Championships and consecutive home sellouts dating back to 1962. I wish our program was that dead. Right hire can make some noise in Nebraska. Playing in the Big Ten West Conference, it's an easier path than the East with Ohio St, Michigan, Mitch St and Penn State.
Syracuse was a power at one time also. In theory this sounds good, but Miami has a better chance of resurgence than Nebraska. Kids today as a whole have no interest in Lincoln Nebraska….I posted earlier about an article questioning whether they could ever get back to sustaining prominence and the article laid out some compelling arguments for not likely. JMO

I don’t believe it. Nebraska has the capability of being back in the top 10 or better in 3 years. If the Rhule hire turns out to be a good one. Everything else is in place. …. I’d like to read that article.

Syracuse was a power at one time also. In theory this sounds good, but Miami has a better chance of resurgence than Nebraska. Kids today as a whole have no interest in Lincoln Nebraska….I posted earlier about an article questioning whether they could ever get back to sustaining prominence and the article laid out some compelling arguments for not likely. JMO
Nebraska is misplaced.

How does winning one national championship in 1959 make Syracuse a power equivalent to what Nebraska achieved in the 70s, 80's and the 90's ? And did this with two other powerhouse programs in their conference in Texas with 4 Nattys and Oklahoma with 9 National Championships.

All Big Ten teams recruit heavily in the south for speed, now they have expanded to Calif and Arizona. Nebraska plays ACC type teams in the West Conference which makes it easier to play for the Big ten title and possibly get in the playoffs, like Clemson.

Great post! BTW, to your point, Army was also a national power. In sports, past performance is no guarantee of future success.

ADVERTISEMENT