ADVERTISEMENT

SC is 5-5 against TN over the last decade and 6-6 against TN over the last 12 years.

paleoorthocock

Dec 14, 2004
Measuring a 12 year stretch is completely random and self-serving, I know, but I was just thinking about the long stretch in which we always lost to TN every dadgum year (i.e., we didn't beat them a single time from 1993 to 2004) and was wondering how long it had been a competitive series. Win Saturday and we will have a 6-4 edge over the last decade. Tennessee leads the series 25-8-2, so I think it's significant that we've closed the gap a great deal over the last 10 to 12 years. In the 2000's we were 2-8 against them but in the 2010's we are 4-3 thus far and would be, obviously, 5-3 in the 2010's with a win Saturday.

By the way, it is not the first time we've led the series over a particular decade. We OWNED them in the 1900's. We played one time, 1903 (the first time we ever played them), and won 24-0. Lol!

I hate Tennessee. Will never forget that 1992 win.

Measuring a 12 year stretch is completely random and self-serving, I know, but I was just thinking about the long stretch in which we always lost to TN every dadgum year (i.e., we didn't beat them a single time from 1993 to 2004) and was wondering how long it had been a competitive series. Win Saturday and we will have a 6-4 edge over the last decade. Tennessee leads the series 25-8-2, so I think it's significant that we've closed the gap a great deal over the last 10 to 12 years. In the 2000's we were 2-8 against them but in the 2010's we are 4-3 thus far and would be, obviously, 5-3 in the 2010's with a win Saturday.

By the way, it is not the first time we've led the series over a particular decade. We OWNED them in the 1900's. We played one time, 1903 (the first time we ever played them), and won 24-0. Lol!

Memory not so good on this, but it seems like we never beat them before Spurrier arrived.

What is our record at Neyland

Unfortunately neither are as good as they once were! I wonder how many TN fans regret the day they fired Fulmer? Probably most! They haven't been a good program since then and a dumpster fire more often than a decent program since the day he was fired!

Very interesting post on the series. When we entered the SEC they were much better than us up through 1999. I'm aware we won in 1992 but that was also why Fulmer got hired and Majors got the ax and we really weren't very competitive with them the rest of that decade.

It's amazing how much we have grown and they have fallen since. Basically it has been one of the most even series that I can think of since the year 2000. They have won more games, but many of the games came down to the last minute or overtime. Most have literally come down to 1 or 2 plays

Very interesting post on the series. When we entered the SEC they were much better than us up through 1999. I'm aware we won in 1992 but that was also why Fulmer got hired and Majors got the ax and we really weren't very competitive with them the rest of that decade.

It's amazing how much we have grown and they have fallen since. Basically it has been one of the most even series that I can think of since the year 2000. They have won more games, but many of the games came down to the last minute or overtime. Most have literally come down to 1 or 2 plays
UT and Nebraska have one thing in common. Both have achieved at high levels historically without possessing premier recruiting bases. It takes great recruiting and coaching to overcome that and both have run dry in the latter category.

Tenn/SC92 was the second Carolina game I ever attended. That game ranks number 1 all time on my games at Willie B. Also remember looking down and seeing what looked like FSU and Michigan lining up outside only to be part of the movie the program. Great day!

Reactions: king ward
We beat them our first season in the SEC ('92) in one of the greatest thrillers of all time in Williams-Brice. Hank Campbell stuffed a two point conversion as the clock ran out, (this was before OT), preserving a 24-23 Gamecock win.
That was home, not there.

We beat them our first season in the SEC ('92) in one of the greatest thrillers of all time in Williams-Brice. Hank Campbell stuffed a two point conversion as the clock ran out, (this was before OT), preserving a 24-23 Gamecock win.

Very few people remember the TD reception that preceded the two point conversion try. The UT RB took a screen pass and broke about 5 or 6 tackles in a 40 yard TD jaunt. The entire stadium was silenced in disbelief. Johnny Majors, already on the hot seat, went for the win. Then, Hank Campbell became a gamecock legend. Majors was fired about two weeks later, and Fulmer promoted to HC.

Do you guys remember in 1992 they were making the movie " ☆The Program".

During timeouts, halftime, any break the actors ran into the field. Halle Berry was in that movie before she got big. Wish I would be known.

So yea that was a great game and I can say I'm in a movie

During timeouts, halftime, any break the actors ran into the field. Halle Berry was in that movie before she got big. Wish I would be known.

I remember it well. I too am in that movie!

I was there. I was there at the end when Campbell made the play to seal the deal. I walked out with a UT fan who told me he enjoyed it because "Y'all just helped us get rid of a problem we got", talking about Majors. Sure enough...

Tenn/SC92 was the second Carolina game I ever attended. That game ranks number 1 all time on my games at Willie B. Also remember looking down and seeing what looked like FSU and Michigan lining up outside only to be part of the movie the program. Great day!

Wasnt it GT and Michigan?

yes, this series has recently been very even and we have more than held our own. That is why it still ticks me off to hear all the media portray this game as a hugely embarrassing loss. Thats a back handed slap to our program. We have played these hillbillies toe to toe recently and they were only 2.5 pt favorites today on their hole field. And....two in a row!

yes, this series has recently been very even and we have more than held our own. That is why it still ticks me off to hear all the media portray this game as a hugely embarrassing loss. Thats a back handed slap to our program. We have played these hillbillies toe to toe recently and they were only 2.5 pt favorites today on their hole field. And....two in a row!

Agreed. After today, we're now 7-7 against TN over the last 14 games.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT