ADVERTISEMENT

SCOTUSA just ruled

The Supreme Court on Monday handed a unanimous win to Division I college athletes in their legal fight against the National Collegiate Athletic Association over caps the organization sought to impose on compensation related to education.

The top court voted 9-0 to affirm lower court rulings that found that antitrust law prevented the NCAA from restricting payments to athletes for items such as musical instruments or as compensation for internships.

“Put simply, this suit involves admitted horizontal price fixing in a market where the defendants exercise monopoly control,” Justice Neil Gorsuch, an appointee of former President Donald Trump, wrote for the court.

I wonder any school was put on probation by the NCAA for paying players will sue the NCAA after this...

I hope the NCAA goes down in flames... They turn a blind eye to UNCarolina, Duke and other elite schools...

The Supreme Court on Monday handed a unanimous win to Division I college athletes in their legal fight against the National Collegiate Athletic Association over caps the organization sought to impose on compensation related to education.

The top court voted 9-0 to affirm lower court rulings that found that antitrust law prevented the NCAA from restricting payments to athletes for items such as musical instruments or as compensation for internships.

“Put simply, this suit involves admitted horizontal price fixing in a market where the defendants exercise monopoly control,” Justice Neil Gorsuch, an appointee of former President Donald Trump, wrote for the court.

I wonder any school was put on probation by the NCAA for paying players will sue the NCAA after this...

I hope the NCAA goes down in flames... They turn a blind eye to UNCarolina, Duke and other elite schools...
I hope intercollegiate athletics go down in flames rather than to run them without comprehensive oversight.

The NCAA has nowhere to hide. It has achieved the rare status in America of having both political sides lined up to take them out. It will not take long now.

Reactions: Cola G'Cock
I wonder if the NCAA will move to put a value on the cost of education, room, board and medical treatment in an effort to offset payment for wages. Also, since the athletes will now be paid, I wonder how many have considered the payment of taxes? Maybe some of our CPA posters can elaborate, but would the athletes now be considered independent contractors (self employed)whom the school could 1099? Would that require estimated tax payments be filed along with social security and state taxes? Uncle Sam is going to get his.

I wonder if this will open the door for every ex athlete to sue for retroactive compensation.

Could get very messy.
Isn’t this how it started with Bannon and Bomar trying to get compensation from EA when their pro careers didn’t pan out?

I believe those salary caps are part of labor agreements negotiated between the owners and the players union.
I mean, this is true, but the CBA itself is technically collusion and is only legally justified by the anti-trust exemption that Congress has recognized with respect to pro sports.

However, if college sports now explicitly doesn't merit an anti-trust exemption, couldn't that stand as a precedent for ending the exemption for the pros? I don't see how the two leagues are in wildly different positions in that respect.

Good. Everybody who played by the rules (student-athletes and schools) got screwed by the system which rewarded cheaters. Everybody knows that players already get paid. I mean, Clemson pays players. We know it. They had a basketball coach say it openly. Their track players more or less said it less than a month ago.

The NCAA knew damn well but did nothing because there's too much money at stake.

This at least gets it in the open.

This didn’t have to go down like this….. the NCAA had choices - a. be proactive on the issue and lead the way to change, b. just go with the prevailing flow following state actions, or c.fight a battle to maintain their control

they chose c. and will reap the outcome of their complete failure in leadership

I don't agree. "Leading the way to change" sounds nice, but it was always going to end up far past what the NCAA wanted to give up. This won't be enough either. Any time there is that much money up for grabs, anybody that can will try to take as much as possible.

I hope intercollegiate athletics go down in flames rather than to run them without comprehensive oversight.
And quite unfortunately, it will NEVER be the same as it was as it grew to this point; now its all based on the monetary potential of the individual schools coupled with their respective conferences as-well-as their balls to spend the most $$ on specific sports!!

Reactions: Patriot321
I wonder if the NCAA will move to put a value on the cost of education, room, board and medical treatment in an effort to offset payment for wages. Also, since the athletes will now be paid, I wonder how many have considered the payment of taxes? Maybe some of our CPA posters can elaborate, but would the athletes now be considered independent contractors (self employed)whom the school could 1099? Would that require estimated tax payments be filed along with social security and state taxes? Uncle Sam is going to get his.
I would also be interested in hearing what the CPA’s and attorneys on here say about the value of the degree. Theoretically, a scholarship to the Ivy League would be more valuable than most others, except a lot athletes are trying to get to the NFL, so they want a scholarship to a place like Bama.

Reactions: Cola G'Cock
Which programs do you see getting real good again, based on the wealth of their alumni and donor base? I would say Michigan, Texas and USC come to mind immediately.

Good. Everybody who played by the rules (student-athletes and schools) got screwed by the system which rewarded cheaters. Everybody knows that players already get paid. I mean, Clemson pays players. We know it. They had a basketball coach say it openly. Their track players more or less said it less than a month ago.

The NCAA knew damn well but did nothing because there's too much money at stake.

This at least gets it in the open.
You don't honestly think we don't do you?

Reactions: chief2791

I love it when the supreme court tosses party lines aside and follows a clear path to common sense interpretation of the constitution. This is an instance of that IMO. It shows me the people manning their posts on that court today are fair, reasonable and intelligent as this is not the first time we have seen them come together to make the right call regardless of who appointed them. Kudos to them all.

You may be onto something.... pay coaches much less and good players more.
I had not looked at it this way but in a pay your players model, that is how they do it in the pros and it may sway more that directing in CFB going forward. In CFB the long time coaches become the face of programs where it is much more of a star player affiliation for most teams. In part because a college coach stays for as long as they are successful- decades at times- while the players come and go. We will never have players staying for decades at the college level to tip that balance but this will tip the balance of power and focus on revenue share undoubtedly.

Reactions: tngamecock#
You don't honestly think we don't do you?
I don't, no. I think we have in the past, yes. But even then, it was amateur hour stuff.

We've never played with the big boys paying out hundreds of thousands for blue chip recruits. If you want to compete at the elite level, that's what has to happen.

ADVERTISEMENT