ADVERTISEMENT

SCOTUSA just ruled

“”
However, Trump appointee Justice Brett Kavanaugh suggested in a blistering concurrence to Monday’s opinion that those rules may also run afoul of antitrust law. He wrote that “The NCAA is not above the law” and that “The NCAA’s business model would be flatly illegal in almost any other industry in America.”

“Everyone agrees that the NCAA can require student athletes to be enrolled students in good standing. But the NCAA’s business model of using unpaid student athletes to generate billions of dollars in revenue for the colleges raises serious questions under the antitrust laws,” Kavanaugh wrote.

He added that it was “highly questionable whether the NCAA and its member colleges can justify not paying student athletes a fair share of the revenues on the circular theory that the defining characteristic of college sports is that the colleges do not pay student athletes.””

-How can anyone argue one word of what he said above to be untrue? Like the ruling or not, he is 100% correct and as judges sworn to uphold the laws of this country this decisions was truly their only option. The only argument I have heard against this coming change is “I am scared it will change CFB and I liked it the way it has always been”… Which is not an argument seeking truth at all.

Reactions: MookieBlaylock9
“”
However, Trump appointee Justice Brett Kavanaugh suggested in a blistering concurrence to Monday’s opinion that those rules may also run afoul of antitrust law. He wrote that “The NCAA is not above the law” and that “The NCAA’s business model would be flatly illegal in almost any other industry in America.”

“Everyone agrees that the NCAA can require student athletes to be enrolled students in good standing. But the NCAA’s business model of using unpaid student athletes to generate billions of dollars in revenue for the colleges raises serious questions under the antitrust laws,” Kavanaugh wrote.

He added that it was “highly questionable whether the NCAA and its member colleges can justify not paying student athletes a fair share of the revenues on the circular theory that the defining characteristic of college sports is that the colleges do not pay student athletes.””

-How can anyone argue one word of what he said above to be untrue? Like the ruling or not, he is 100% correct and as judges sworn to uphold the laws of this country this decisions was truly their only option. The only argument I have heard against this coming change is “I am scared it will change CFB and I liked it the way it has always been”… Which is not an argument seeking truth at all.
It's all accurate. People just don't want to see their sports change, which I understand, but players should be able to get paid in NIL and get paid like any employee would. I hope non-revenue sports find a way to survive.

Could it be legal if a conference evens things out? Restrict the wealthy and give to the poor?

The Supreme Court on Monday handed a unanimous win to Division I college athletes in their legal fight against the National Collegiate Athletic Association over caps the organization sought to impose on compensation related to education.

The top court voted 9-0 to affirm lower court rulings that found that antitrust law prevented the NCAA from restricting payments to athletes for items such as musical instruments or as compensation for internships.

“Put simply, this suit involves admitted horizontal price fixing in a market where the defendants exercise monopoly control,” Justice Neil

I wonder any school was put on probation by the NCAA for paying players will sue the NCAA after this...

I hope the NCAA goes down in flames... They turn a blind eye to UNCarolina, Duke and other elite schools...
I am no lover of the NCAA, but if anyone doesn't think the rich aren't getting richer after this ruling they are profoundly mistaken. If South Carolina can't compete now, we definitely won't be able to when the spigot opens. The effect of this ruling will pretty much end any chance of South Carolina becoming a top tier school. The Auburns of the world are celebrating like crazy today. They've always been paying, now it is legal. They have donor base that makes South Carolina look like the Poor Sisters of Mercy. For all of South Carolina's faults there was always a chance to become relevant, that chance took a major hit with this ruling.

So what does this all mean? Does it mean players can pretty much get as much money as someone is willing to pay them? Does it mean a school can pay the players? If so, can they pay them as much as they want?

Could it be legal if a conference evens things out? Restrict the wealthy and give to the poor?
As far as NIL, I think that's out of their hands. Perhaps conferences can work with their members to support non-revenue sports and figure out how to prioritize.

So what does this all mean? Does it mean players can pretty much get as much money as someone is willing to pay them? Does it mean a school can pay the players? If so, can they pay them as much as they want?
My understanding is this particular ruling is simply pertaining to players being allowed assistances to be paid for by the Universities like computers, more tutoring… That sort of stuff. It clearly sets a precedent though that the Supreme court is saying the current NCAA model is illegal and further lawsuits will certainly be filed and won bu players demanding more compensation for their “work”…

Last edited:
I am no lover of the NCAA, but if anyone doesn't think the rich aren't getting richer after this ruling they are profoundly mistaken. If South Carolina can't compete now, we definitely won't be able to when the spigot opens. The effect of this ruling will pretty much end any chance of South Carolina becoming a top tier school. The Auburns of the world are celebrating like crazy today. They've always been paying, now it is legal. They have donor base that makes South Carolina look like the Poor Sisters of Mercy. For all of South Carolina's faults there was always a chance to become relevant, that chance took a major hit with this ruling.

After this ruling South Carolina will never compete for a national championship or any higher.. We're the new Vandy, bottom feeder..

Reactions: vidaliagamecock
I would also be interested in hearing what the CPA’s and attorneys on here say about the value of the degree. Theoretically, a scholarship to the Ivy League would be more valuable than most others, except a lot athletes are trying to get to the NFL, so they want a scholarship to a place like Bama.
Ivy League doesn’t give athletic scholarships.

This ruling may prove to be lethal to the mediocre programs like SC and others like us. We may have to exit the power conferences and drop down to play lesser but similar programs because we will be so devoid of the talent to continue to compete with the top programs. Our future schedule will consist of games with Kentucky, Purdue, Wake Forest, Kansas, and the like.

“Far left liberal Justice Kavanaugh”

I tried to tell some of the posters that there was a conservative free market argument to be made for paying players.

Not making this political - which was the point of my original post in the thread about players unionizing. There’s a lot of free market capitalism pushing this movement forward.

Things are changing with college athletics and there’s bi-partisan agreement.

Last edited:
Rafael Trujillo former dictator of the Dominican Republic famously said, “You can shear a man once or you can give him a haircut for the rest of his life.”
The NCAA has ALWAYS been built on greed at the expense of the athletes. Admittedly once upon a time the stakes were lower and fairer to the athlete.
However once media money started really rolling in it became a gold mine with very cheap labor.
Very simplistically, rather than learn how to share like all the pro leagues did so they could maintain control of the golden goose. The NCAA said, “MINE, MINE, MINE, ITS ALL MINE!!”
In their greed and eff the athletes pig headedness they have burned their house to the ground

Reactions: GreatestCock
I don't, no. I think we have in the past, yes. But even then, it was amateur hour stuff.

We've never played with the big boys paying out hundreds of thousands for blue chip recruits. If you want to compete at the elite level, that's what has to happen.
This is just not true. We play the game too, you have to to even be in the conversation. What restricts us the most is our lack of sustained success. We were on our way until Spurrier's "2-3 more years" comment, then Muschamp happened. It pains me to say it, but if all things were equal (money) and a kid didn't grow up a Gamecock, where would you go if it came down to us or Clemson? We need to start winning to get a bigger share of the top shelf recruits. Hopefully Beamer can turn that around. Paying players (cheating) just gets your name in the hat.

This is just not true. We play the game too, you have to to even be in the conversation. What restricts us the most is our lack of sustained success. We were on our way until Spurrier's "2-3 more years" comment, then Muschamp happened. It pains me to say it, but if all things were equal (money) and a kid didn't grow up a Gamecock, where would you go if it came down to us or Clemson? We need to start winning to get a bigger share of the top shelf recruits. Hopefully Beamer can turn that around. Paying players (cheating) just gets your name in the hat.
The part about not being a consistent winner is certainly true. But you're wrong if you think we're handing out cash like the big boys. It's not happening. Muschamp and Tanner kept a lid on it.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT