ADVERTISEMENT

SEC, ACC, Big 12 more concerned about $$$ than players` health- that`s the bottom line & we all know

Status
Not open for further replies.

psycock

Jan 20, 2001
it. You can pretend, I won`t. Every second we turn around - masks, stay 6 ft. away, no large gatherings, spacing out people at restraurants, DIsney World, wherever. Can`t go see a movie. But you can tackle, get your sweat, spit, blood all over other people safely - yeah right! The ACC doctor said it`s safe - gee I wonder who writes his paycheck - no conflict of interest there. Sorry I love football but they were saying how, yes, the NFL acted early on to prepare for a season. With at least 40 % of Power 5 sitting out, you can`t have a playoff, or at least a valid one. The NCAA did not(with a leader like Emmert is anyone surprised). I`m fine with kids on campus but asking them to play a sport like football - well go ahead and justify it all you want. The pros get paid millions - they are set if they get Covid. Now they are saying it could cause long-term ramifications like some type of Chronic Fatigue Syndrome - not exactly consistent with a future career in football. I know we all want it but we should just cancel and start over next fall, IMO. I know some people say it`s fine, but that doesn`t mean it is. It doesn`t get any more contact, in terms of sports, than football - maybe boxing would be an exception. Lets just scrap this awful year and look forward to 2021.We all know what the bottom line is though - $$$.

it. You can pretend, I won`t. Every second we turn around - masks, stay 6 ft. away, no large gatherings, spacing out people at restraurants, DIsney World, wherever. Can`t go see a movie. But you can tackle, get your sweat, spit, blood all over other people safely - yeah right! The ACC doctor said it`s safe - gee I wonder who writes his paycheck - no conflict of interest there. Sorry I love football but they were saying how, yes, the NFL acted early on to prepare for a season. With at least 40 % of Power 5 sitting out, you can`t have a playoff, or at least a valid one. The NCAA did not(with a leader like Emmert is anyone surprised). I`m fine with kids on campus but asking them to play a sport like football - well go ahead and justify it all you want. The pros get paid millions - they are set if they get Covid. Now they are saying it could cause long-term ramifications like some type of Chronic Fatigue Syndrome - not exactly consistent with a future career in football. I know we all want it but we should just cancel and start over next fall, IMO. I know some people say it`s fine, but that doesn`t mean it is. It doesn`t get any more contact, in terms of sports, than football - maybe boxing would be an exception. Lets just scrap this awful year and look forward to 2021.We all know what the bottom line is though - $$$.

I’ll meet u on the Group W bench.

Regardless of what side one takes on this issue, do u actually think a doctor in Durham would make a call he doesn’t believe is true?

Reactions: Ldgator
If we are all scared, we need to go to a cave and hide. Never has there been so much fear generated. You're ok for store personnel to be at work, and health officials, but healthy young men need to hide.

First of all, I hope that we play. However, those of you who think that the players will be much safer in the supervised, structured format of a University may be sadly mistaken. Young men are going to be young men, unless there's an armed guard outside of each guys room, they are going to party, date and hang out with their friends. We've heard the stories for years (Garcia having girls in his room the night before a bowl game comes to mind), what makes you think that all of a sudden these same young men will realize that they are susceptible to illness. I hope that we will play but I don't think that even if we start we will finish.

Reactions: Gamekem
First of all, I hope that we play. However, those of you who think that the players will be much safer in the supervised, structured format of a University may be sadly mistaken. Young men are going to be young men, unless there's an armed guard outside of each guys room, they are going to party, date and hang out with their friends. We've heard the stories for years (Garcia having girls in his room the night before a bowl game comes to mind), what makes you think that all of a sudden these same young men will realize that they are susceptible to illness. I hope that we will play but I don't think that even if we start we will finish.

Of course it’s about money. Its always been about the money. When you get the commissioners and the presidents who don’t actually play the game that’s what they are paid and trained to see. They will talk and be politically correct. But let’s not pretend it’s actually about something else either. If they don’t play the game there may not be a sport to play, a lot of schools will have to cut sports programs out and let’s not forget about the title 9 aspect to that and the presidents and the commissioners know this. Football is the money sport. It pays for everything.

Well under your premise they will be in just as much danger at home partying, dating, and hanging with friends so why is playing football hurting anything? Your premise doesn't hold water!

I’d say the cancellations are more related to money (and fear of being sued) than the plans to play.

You can’t separate finances from these decisions, regardless of the particular decision.

Reactions: 1vagamecock
Or that 160,000+ people die of it in just over 5 months and the long term negative side effects still can't be measured.

Do you honestly believe that number is accurate? There have already been reports of hospitals listing COD as COVID-19 when the patient died from other causes. And if ANY patient was suspected of having COVID-19, despite not being tested, they are to be listed as a COVID-19 death. And that's from the Department of Health.

The number is 100% inflated. The real death toll is probably 25% less than what's being reported, per Dr. Birx. Nothing more than a bad flu season. When you see Democrat Governors being caught not social distancing and not wearing a mask, then obviously it's not that big of a deal.

What's it like to blindly believe everything MSNBC tells you and to live your life in fear?

Do you honestly believe that number is accurate? There have already been reports of hospitals listing COD as COVID-19 when the patient died from other causes. And if ANY patient was suspected of having COVID-19, despite not being tested, they are to be listed as a COVID-19 death. And that's from the Department of Health.

The number is 100% inflated. The real death toll is probably 25% less than what's being reported, per Dr. Birx. Nothing more than a bad flu season. When you see Democrat Governors being caught not social distancing and not wearing a mask, then obviously it's not that big of a deal.

What's it like to blindly believe everything MSNBC tells you and to live your life in fear?
https://www.cdc.gov/nchs/nvss/vsrr/covid19/excess_deaths.htm

Reactions: crafty30

You're fine with having kids on campus but not fine with them playing a sport like football...

What about playing a sport like sex? You want to try and stop that too?

Reactions: Snake006
I disagree big time. Its a lot easier and pivot to cancel things than it is to decide to start things up all in the sudden if things were to change. I still firmly believe that the first breakthrough will be through theraputics. Say someone finds that right combination of drugs, that makes this virus like hiv..? Then Vaccines will be around the corner...? Kick the can down the road. I woukd have moved the date to the beginning of November and pulled the plug 3 weeks before if the situation dictated

My son plays for a Division 1 Program (not USC) and has been practicing and conditioning for weeks now with his team.
Players are being tested weekly and some are positive but the program is keeping it quiet and actually not even sharing with the team. The positive players are told to not tell anyone why they are not working out. He said “social distancing”
is a joke and nobody cares what goes on as long as the players are working hard.
My son wants to play this year and is not concerned at all with covid. His concern is for the guys on the team who have asthma and a few are diabetics. One of his former high school teammates is at another Division 1 school and is experiencing the same thing. His school had 14 players test positive and the team was sent home for 14 days but the players were told not to say it was Covid related but a break.
What the media and schools are publicly saying is far from what is actually going on behind the closed doors.
I want college football to be played this year more than probably anyone on this board so please no reason to bash me. I am just sharing what is actually going on at 2 Division 1 programs.

What are the long term effects of pneumonia or severe flu? For any sickness there can be after effects. You still don't worry about the 10 million dead unborn, a selective death.
There are vaccines and treatments for those diseases. There are neither for this. And to my knowledge, there aren't typically long term heart and neurological damage that are being found with COVID-19.

And stop trying to deflect the discussion with the Whataboutisms. Start your own thread if you want to discuss that.

There are vaccines and treatments for those diseases. There are neither for this. And to my knowledge, there aren't typically long term heart and neurological damage that are being found with COVID-19.

And stop trying to deflect the discussion with the Whataboutisms. Start your own thread if you want to discuss that.

Uh, there is a treatment for this virus with a nearly 100% success rate.

No, I don't believe that number is accurate. It's more than likely HIGHER due to people that died at home without ever goimg to the hospital. Here's a SCIENCE-BASED article and not a political one.

https://www.scientificamerican.com/article/how-covid-19-deaths-are-counted1/

The whole article's worth the reading, but here are a couple of interesting snippets:

Meanwhile, as the political debate over the response to the virus heats up, some have argued that death reports are being deliberately skewed. Aiken rejected the notion of a vast conspiracy by medical examiners; medical examiners are designed to be independent entities, she said, and they run the political gamut from conservative to liberal.

“It always cracks me up,” she said. “Medical examiners and coroners aren’t organized enough to have a conspiracy.”

But non-COVID conditions probably don’t explain most excess deaths, Faust said. Only a portion of heart attack visits would have represented lives saved, he said, because doctors must treat perhaps 10 patients to save one life. And other causes of death—such as motor vehicle accidents—are down.

This could change with time, Faust cautioned. For example, if cancer patients forego their treatments for a year, rather than a few months, the impact on their death rates is much more likely to be noticeable in the population-wide data. But for now, he said, “it’s unlikely that the coronavirus deaths are being overcounted by a magnitude that explains our observation that something very unusual is going on.”

Any parent that has concerns about their child’s safety playing football will not let them play. It has nothing to do with the coach, conference, money or the freaking President of the United States. The child’s parent will make that call. I know I would and you would too.

Reactions: GatorlandGamecock
No, I don't believe that number is accurate. It's more than likely HIGHER due to people that died at home without ever goimg to the hospital. Here's a SCIENCE-BASED article and not a political one.

https://www.scientificamerican.com/article/how-covid-19-deaths-are-counted1/

The whole article's worth the reading, but here are a couple of interesting snippets:

Meanwhile, as the political debate over the response to the virus heats up, some have argued that death reports are being deliberately skewed. Aiken rejected the notion of a vast conspiracy by medical examiners; medical examiners are designed to be independent entities, she said, and they run the political gamut from conservative to liberal.

“It always cracks me up,” she said. “Medical examiners and coroners aren’t organized enough to have a conspiracy.”

But non-COVID conditions probably don’t explain most excess deaths, Faust said. Only a portion of heart attack visits would have represented lives saved, he said, because doctors must treat perhaps 10 patients to save one life. And other causes of death—such as motor vehicle accidents—are down.

This could change with time, Faust cautioned. For example, if cancer patients forego their treatments for a year, rather than a few months, the impact on their death rates is much more likely to be noticeable in the population-wide data. But for now, he said, “it’s unlikely that the coronavirus deaths are being overcounted by a magnitude that explains our observation that something very unusual is going on.”

For argument's sake, let's say it is more, is still doesn't change the fact that the majority of the deaths from this virus are from people over the age of 65.

Keep telling yourself that. That's been disproven at every turn by legitimate scientists.

But you keep listening to the ones that believe in demon sperm and alien DNA causing STDs and all that BS.

It's a drug that's been around since the 50s and is FDA approved. BUT only now has become an issue because Trump backed the drug. Countless doctors, excluding the one's from Texas, have come out in favor of the drug. They've treated their patients with it with great success. My uncle is a surgeon here SC and he too says it's the best for it currently.

Posts a link and expects me to read through that whole thing.
So you can either read and repeat false narratives from social media or listen and repeat things Laura Ingram tells you but you can’t be bothered to read the actual facts behind what you state?

For argument's sake, let's say it is more, is still doesn't change the fact that the majority of the deaths from this virus are from people over the age of 65.
It also doesn't change the fact the people under that age die from it and that the long term effects are still unknown -- but the early studies are frightful.

Reactions: Dizzy01
That reads like they’re using the same modeler as Fauci and Birx back in March/April. The same time period when Birx said on camera that they were being “very liberal” with covid cause of death assignments.
It’s the same model for predicting deaths they always use and the numbers of deaths have been remarkably consistent for years. What that chart shows is the predicted deaths, plus the deaths classified as Covid and shows there are still deaths in excess of those combined numbers.

It’s the same model for predicting deaths they always use and the numbers of deaths have been remarkably consistent for years. What that chart shows is the predicted deaths, plus the deaths classified as Covid and shows there are still deaths in excess of those combined numbers.
Didn’t look at a chart, I read the “logic” for the calculations.

I had COVID, it was rough. More importantly, I pretty much did everything right, and when I count back based on what the scientists say about the incubation period, I caught it sitting inside my own house. They might as well play ball.

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT