ADVERTISEMENT

SEC coaches complain about added opponents

On the surface it certainly does not look like an even draw. Hints at protectionism for the upper tier teams, and without any explanation how the "formula" was devised, you can see why this would be challenged.

Reactions: Legendary Cock
I saw this article. To be honest the coaches have a complaint. Seems like the SEC office does a lot to protect Georgia, Alabama and LSU. By not being transparent about the process, it looks like it has happened again.

They really should just release the rationale behind the decision. If it's not nefarious, they can show it easily enough.

I bet they just whistle pass the graveyard until the talk goes away.

Probably correct. We need to do something about it. Get better!

I just don't see it happening in the short term. We've
had acts of God pull a game out of a hat for a few years now.

This is like the 7th year of trials and tribulations. I dont know if this year will be a rapture, or if Gamecock Jesus will return, load us all up and take us to a different dimension where it Is Great to be a Gamecock. A dimension where there is no other instate school and we are 15-0, 14-1 year after year after year.

Lulz.

Last edited:
Well, at least we weren't one of the "easy" teams to be added and complained about.

Sounds reasonable, but let's be honest, even if we got better, we don't have the pedigree so we're not going to get any preferential treatment, no matter what.
I dont have any facts to back this up but i doubt we complained much about the schedule when we had those 3 straight 11 win seasons. On the other hand we seem to have been unfairly treated in the womens BB tournament on a couple occasions.

Reactions: Kuga1414
I dont have any facts to back this up but i doubt we complained much about the schedule when we had those 3 straight 11 win seasons. On the other hand we seem to have been unfairly treated in the womens BB tournament on a couple occasions.
C'mon now. We complain about who we play, where we play, the way the game was officiated, and how the press reported it. It's the USC way.

Reactions: DrMickey
They really should just release the rationale behind the decision. If it's not nefarious, they can show it easily enough.

I bet they just whistle pass the graveyard until the talk goes away.
I doubt if it was anything other than subjective and not done with a mind toward being equitable.

We most certainly complained then as well lol. That is when A&M and Mizzou were added. And they def gave UGA the easier route. Thats why they backed in to the conference championship even tho we beat them. We didn’t take care of business but still.

We most certainly complained then as well lol. That is when A&M and Mizzou were added. And they def gave UGA the easier route. Thats why they backed in to the conference championship even tho we beat them. We didn’t take care of business but still.
We didn’t win the games we were supposed to win against teams not as good as we were.

True but I’m still pissed about Georgia, @LSU & @Florida back to back to back. Probably cost us a shot at a title. I don’t think I’ve seen Alabama or Georgia have 3 regular season games in a row like that in my lifetime.

True but I’m still pissed about Georgia, @LSU & @Florida back to back to back. Probably cost us a shot at a title. I don’t think I’ve seen Alabama or Georgia have 3 regular season games in a row like that in my lifetime.

The bad part about that stretch was that Muschamp was the coach of Florida. He went 11-2 that year I think. At the time who would have ever thought he would have ended up here.

Reactions: Gamecockben1979
The bad part about that stretch was that Muschamp was the coach of Florida. He went 11-2 that year I think. At the time who would have ever thought he would have ended up here.

True. A lot of similarities between the 4 years here and the 4 years at Florida. Obviously that was the high year. 28-21, 17-15 in conference at Florida. 26-25, 15-17 in conference here. The situation he inherited seemed worse here but the performance is eerily similar.

Drawing names out of a hat would have been transparent and taken any partiality conspiracy theories out of the mix. No question that some teams were matched up more favorably than others. Not fair but not surprising in this day and age of big money sports.

Reactions: Cocky4SC
Georgia, LSU, Bama, Florida, and Auburn are going to get taken care of each year regardless. I wish they would've done a competitive balance.

Honestly, this year would've been the perfect year to realign the conference. Bring Arkansas over to the East, move Mizzu to the West. Then realign the conference cross division rivalries, that don't mess with traditional ties like Bama/Tennessee.

Well, at least the SEC office of football officiating is very transparent when a team is SCREWED, and everyone watching, including ESPN's color and pbp guys mentioning that fact. See UF game from 2019!!!

Can you say HOSE JOB!

The SEC is the premier college conference in this country, but they've got some favoritism going on down there in Birmingham. Everyone knows it, but what can you do about it.

It's like a dumb dog chasing a car, if they ever caught it, what would they do with it??

Reactions: Cocky4SC
It's not a stretch of the imagination at all to see that this was done to ensure at least one of the conference darlings has an inside shot at making the CFP -- should the season last that long.

The acc protected Clempsun in the championship game a few years back vs UNcarolina. No way Clempsun was going to lose that and cost the acc millions of dollars.

Meanwhile Bama gets Missouri & UGA gets Arky for their tune-up games. At least the conference is consistent…

That's the thing... we couldn't have got a worse draw than we did, since we played Bama last year. We truly got the third best team in the west, since we already play LSU.... it bees what it bees I guess....

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT