ADVERTISEMENT

SEC Football: Can the other schools keep up?

rgamecock1

Apr 19, 2003
I was wanting to read this article in the USA today' website. Since I am not a subscriber I did not get a chance to read the article. I like a lot of football fans have my opinion. First of all the SEC is rich in

tradition, passion that no other conference can match top to bottom. Like a friend told me several years ago if you are a college football player do you want to play in a conference to where football means

so much to every school in that conference. Do you want to play in a conference to where every Saturday afternoon at 3 p.m. you are the main attraction on CBS with Verne Lundquist and Gary Danielson.

On a lot of Saturday's in California if there is talk about a bonfire on the beach that is where a lot of the young people are going to be surfing and partying with their friends. Whereas in the South if your

favorite team is playing people are tailgating, sharing time with family and friends at a football game. This is just the tip on the iceberg. High school football players watch the CBS primetime game every

Saturday afternoon so they leave and go to an SEC school to play football. Football is truly important in the South. Like it or not that is the way it is. Also in other sports the girls leave California in droves to

come play softball in the South. Look at Alabama, Florida, Auburn all the SEC schools that sponsor softball have girls on their teams. Most of the SEC schools have stand alone football facilities, the ones that

don't are having them built as we speak. Passion, facilites, fan support, national recognition are the best in the SEC. Say what you want but those are facts. A lot of your small schools that support football

do not have the financial resources to build stand alone football facilities. Will the madness come to an end? probably not. Every year schools are having to get another feature in their program to keep up

with the other SEC schools. Finally the payout every SEC school gets from media rights is second to none. Between your big time boosters, media rights SEC schools have the best from medical treatment,

life after football, academic support. Second to none. I have no idea about what the next media venture will be with the SEC but from talking with a national reporter it will be mind boggling. I can only guess

I will say this finally I would not be surprised to see another tier of championship playoffs for other levels of football, and I really think with every thing going on with NIL, transfer portal you will see some

schools drop football because they will not be able to keep up with the power five schools. It is coming, just a matter of time.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT