ADVERTISEMENT

SEC officials are only getting worse each year

The conference should have the nation’s top officials, but we seem to be getting the worst officials

It's not just the SEC. It's officiating in general. Listening to a talk show this morning and someone made the point that it's mostly the same officials every year, and they're getting older and can't keep up any more as young players who are very explosive keep coming into the college and pro ranks.

We all see it and it is a lot of the same officials so why is something not done? The SEC can't be proud of being called out and to me it's an embarrassment to the league on national TV.

If Florida ever runs a pick play ( wink wink ) , the SEC officials seem to not be able to see it .

I don’t mind replay reviews in general, but I think there is a negative reinforcement loop in the process, and I’ll site fumbles and targeting as examples.

I think that fear of stopping a play too early (fumbles) or missing a targeting penalty have officials on the field subconsciously biased toward fumble on a close play or targeting on a hard hit. They might even be taught to lean that way because “they will check it in the booth”. But once it gets to the replay booth, the official there is going to go with “the call on the field” if it’s close. It’s a perfect negative reinforcement cycle. On the field leans toward fumble or targeting. In the booth leans toward the “on the field” call.

I don’t even think this is nefarious or aimed at specific teams. But the system itself is setup for the negative result preference.

They didn’t see UGA’s either. They catch ours even when no contact made
Look at the picture in the article with Beamer talking about running better. The UGA defender is leading w the crown of his helmet to make the hit. By definition, that's a penalty. Of course it wasn't called. They actually let several go. I just wish they would call holding equally against all teams.

Look at the picture in the article with Beamer talking about running better. The UGA defender is leading w the crown of his helmet to make the hit. By definition, that's a penalty. Of course it wasn't called. They actually let several go. I just wish they would call holding equally against all teams.

this makes about the 4th game in recent memory (I am thinking out of the last 6) where UGA has played a whole game with no offensive holding penalty vs us……we get 2 - 4 per game.

Last edited:
Reactions: TAV31
The conference should have the nation’s top officials, but we seem to be getting the worst officials

SEC officiating is the worst.....no question. It has always amazed me in the conference that everyone wants to boast is the best in the nation we fans settle for the worst officiating in the nation. I think its also the worst for biased, no-call officiating against some of the leagues considered "premier" programs. Bama, UGA, and UF get pretty nice treatment in most games.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT