ADVERTISEMENT

SEC Road to 20----who is your dream 4 to add?

JamesRob

May 31, 2012
So we're up to 16 teams now, 4 slots remaining to get to the 20 school mega-conference. Here is my list, don't care about the increased competition aspect...we aren't winning anything on the gridiron anytime soon. Might as well add some fun games/road trips...and raid the ACC.

1. Clemson
2. Florida St.
3. UNC
4. Virginia

Va. Tech and NC State might seem like better fits but they don't move the needle like their big brothers do...

Reactions: SeeUatAU
So we're up to 16 teams now, 4 slots remaining to get to the 20 school mega-conference. Here is my list, don't care about the increased competition aspect...we aren't winning anything on the gridiron anytime soon. Might as well add some fun games/road trips...and raid the ACC.

1. Clemson
2. Florida St.
3. UNC
4. Virginia

Va. Tech and NC State might seem like better fits but they don't move the needle like their big brothers do...

Looks good. If they go to 20, wouldn't we see 5-team PODs?

Reactions: JamesRob
Never got the love for NCST. Definitely never seen them as sec caliber. North Carolina is a weird state. Not sure any of them fit. I'd be ok with VA and VT.
Didn't say they were SEC caliber. Hell, we aren't SEC caliber. Simply that they have the SEC feel about them. Their gameday atmosphere is on par with the SEC, as is VT's.

UNC, Duke, UVa - gameday atmosphere is an afterthought.

We can think outside of the traditional southeast now.

I’d take Oklahoma State over NC State, who has been mentioned often in terms of the SEC. I think in the end NC State will have an opportunity to make the move as they are the NC school that takes football most serious. I’d imagine the SEC would want to extend to NC and Virginia…so VPI likely as well. I think Clemson and FSU will get the other two.

A team like TCU or Baylor could come as well.

There are way more options now than previously discussed.

We can think outside of the traditional southeast now.

I’d take Oklahoma State over NC State, who has been mentioned often in terms of the SEC. I think in the end NC State will have an opportunity to make the move as they are the NC school that takes football most serious. I’d imagine the SEC would want to extend to NC and Virginia…so VPI likely as well. I think Clemson and FSU will get the other two.

A team like TCU or Baylor could come as well.

There are way more options now than previously discussed.
I always thought ECU took football more seriously than anyone else in North Carolina.

FSU (good all around athletics)
Louisville (great basketball/baseball)
Virginia Tech (talk about a place where it just mean
UNC (better all around sports than NC State)

leave clemtech with the little sisters. They prefer the ACC. All cupcake conference.

1. Ohio State-3.5 hours from UK, it’s possible
2. West Virginia-never fit in Big 12
3. Fla State-looking for the cash cow anyway
4. Baylor-Go ahead and take the basketball champs and give the Texas schools someone else.

Clemson, FSU, NC State and Va Tech. Much better cultural fits than UNC or UVa.

UNC will not go anywhere without Duke. Those two schools and Virginia end up in the Big 10 IMO.

Last edited:

1. Clemson
2. Florida St.
3. UNC
4. Virginia

I wouldn’t say Va Tech is little brother to UVA. They have a much greater enrollment and stadium capacity, plus a very rabid fan base.

Clemson, FSU, NC State and Va Tech. Much better cultural fits than UNC or UVa.

UNC will not go anywhere without Duke. Those two schools and Virginia end up in the Big 10 IMO.

Duke has very little to offer, especially with K retiring. Basketball is fun but that sport carries no weight in conference realignment. Kansas is about to prove that point, nobody wants them.

UNC may be forced to move without Duke, or they both get left holding the bag.

Not likely for Oklahoma State to join SEC.

Bruce Feldman

@BruceFeldmanCFB

OU's president on why the SEC didn't want to bring Oklahoma State over with the Sooners and Texas from the Big 12 because of its limited TV ratings pull.
Quote Tweet

Jason Kersey

@jasonkersey

·
5h

Harroz: We wanted to include Oklahoma State and looked for chances to do that. But, "that's just not what the market we're pursuing allows."

VT and NCSU have an SEC feel about them. Moreso than UNC and UVa. UNC wouldn't do it because they know the SEC won't put up with their BS with regard to hoops. UVa is UVa.

Why would you want the unwatchable torture that is UVa basketball inflicted upon the SEC?

And, while you didn't mention them...

No, to WVU. Their academics are trash and Miss St with the Frickin' cowbells is bad enough without adding WVU's mouth-breathing, slack-jawed, knuckle-dragging goon squad of a fan base.

Loserville? - I just threw up in my mouth a little.

Last edited:
I would think:
Ohio State
Michigan
Notre Dame
Florida State or Penn State

No one outside of this area cares about NC and VA school athletics (other than basketball) and those are small TV markets.
Clemson is a short term success story with no long term national TV interest draw. CU is getting left on the side of the road with most of the ACC schools who isgned an Inferior long term TV contract.

Why would you want the unwatchable torture that is UVa basketball inflicted upon the SEC?

No, to WVU. Their academics are trash and Miss St with the Frickin' cowbells is bad enough without adding WVU's mouth-breathing, slack-jawed, knuckle-dragging goon squad of a fan base.

Loseville? - I just threw up in my mouth a little.
I don't want UVa. I'm pretty clear on that.

GT
Tulane
Suwanee
Hawaii (for road trips) 😁

------

Don't want them in, but the Taters for the playoff potential. Alternate for market area, perhaps South Florida.
Notre Dame for their tradition and market area.
Navy for their market area and having a service academy in the SEC is a neat idea.
West Virginia, because we beat them out to get in ourselves, as I recall. Good market area, as well.

Reactions: caughtlookin
GT
Tulane
Suwanee
Hawaii (for road trips) 😁

------

Don't want them in, but the Taters for the playoff potential. Alternate for market area, perhaps South Florida.
Notre Dame for their tradition and market area.
Navy for their market area and having a service academy in the SEC is a neat idea.
West Virginia, because we beat them out to get in ourselves, as I recall. Good market area, as well.
Not sure how reliable he is. But, one poster over on Bucknuts (OSU Board) is posting that reliable sources are pushing GT and Miami to the B1G.

Both of those really seem like a reach for the B1G to me. I mean, why (Reportedly) pass on Kansas only to offer Georgia Tech and Miami?

Loserville? - I just threw up in my mouth a little.
Dang you a hard@$$.😉

FSU (good all around athletics)
Louisville (great basketball/baseball)
Virginia Tech (talk about a place where it just mean
UNC (better all around sports than NC State)

leave clemtech with the little sisters. They prefer the ACC. All cupcake conference.
Louisville…….hell no

Not sure how reliable he is. But, one poster over on Bucknuts (OSU Board) is posting that reliable sources are pushing GT and Miami to the B1G.

Both of those really seem like a reach for the B1G to me. I mean, why (Reportedly) pass on Kansas only to offer Georgia Tech and Miami?

location, location, location. 😂

Let's be real here. If, and that's a big If right now, there was an additional 4 teams added, the bottom line is TV viewership and nothing else. No "SEC feel", no cultural similarities, no "I like/don't like their fanbase". Cold hard business facts, how many eyes will watch. With that said.

Miami - You can love them, and particularly if you hate them , then you are going to watch. No matter how hard it may be for some, and however reluctant to admit it, they are a national brand,
Va Tech - Can bring in the Va/DC market. Good FB program, and up. and coming in MBB.
Penn St- Not going to happen, but you have another national brand.
I really cant see any BIG team leaving. If it's about money, then the B1G has a bigger payout than any other conference.

I'm not sure on a 4th option. UGA has a monopoly on the press coverage in the state of Georgia, so admitting GT does nothing to expand viewership
Clemson, does have a good amount of viewership, so that could be a consideration.
NCSTU/UNC- If you had to pick one, then UNC, if nothing else the MBB brings a lot to the table.

Virginia Tech and NC State. Both add significant TV markets with coverage in NC, VA and the DC metro area. This is great for $ and recruiting as the VA Tech grads dominate the DC metro area. The SEC teams would stretch all over the South and Southwestern part of US. Population in the SEC states with these new members (OK, VA, and NC) would be 124.2 million, representing 37.5 % of the US population. The percentage increases when you add the DC metro area picking up games for the VA Tech alum.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT