ADVERTISEMENT

SEC Road to 20----who is your dream 4 to add?

So we're up to 16 teams now, 4 slots remaining to get to the 20 school mega-conference. Here is my list, don't care about the increased competition aspect...we aren't winning anything on the gridiron anytime soon. Might as well add some fun games/road trips...and raid the ACC.

1. Clemson
2. Florida St.
3. UNC
4. Virginia

Va. Tech and NC State might seem like better fits but they don't move the needle like their big brothers do...
anybody north of us will not help our recruiting

Reactions: redrogers
So we're up to 16 teams now, 4 slots remaining to get to the 20 school mega-conference. Here is my list, don't care about the increased competition aspect...we aren't winning anything on the gridiron anytime soon. Might as well add some fun games/road trips...and raid the ACC.

1. Clemson
2. Florida St.
3. UNC
4. Virginia

Va. Tech and NC State might seem like better fits but they don't move the needle like their big brothers do...
If Clemson and FSU bail on the SEC then it will so weaken the ACC that it will likely fall apart. But of the remaining ACC teams I'd like to see G. Tech and V. Tech in the SEC. Just skip over the state of NC completely for now. Ohio State, Penn State and W. Virginia are also possible new members of the SEC.

Clempson. Why any USC wouldn't want clempson in the SEC I will never understand. We play them it's a conference game opening up the opportunity to schedule another OOC easy win possibly. Furthermore, they would do well, but we all know they wouldn't be running 6-7 SEC championships in a row like in the SCC. They wouldn't be making a 4 team playoff every year in the SEC. It just makes life harder winning at football plain and simple. It also wouldn't help the baseball or women's hoops program. Mens basketball it might help them a little; but not much. The ACC isn't what it used to be at basketball.

Reactions: redrogers
Clempson. Why any USC wouldn't want clempson in the SEC I will never understand. We play them it's a conference game opening up the opportunity to schedule another OOC easy win possibly. Furthermore, they would do well, but we all know they wouldn't be running 6-7 SEC championships in a row like in the SCC. They wouldn't be making a 4 team playoff every year in the SEC. It just makes life harder winning at football plain and simple. It also wouldn't help the baseball or women's hoops program. Mens basketball it might help them a little; but not much. The ACC isn't what it used to be at basketball.
10 years ago yes. Now… NO!
When you factor in Sabans age, Dabo and his loyal staff are as primed as any to continue a long stay at the top. Even if they came in and lost 2-3 they are as likely as anyone in the league to win. Especially when you factor in it’ll be 2-3 years before the new teams even start here.

Reactions: rogue cock
If the league does in fact expand to 20, I am not sure they would add anyone from NC / SC (Clemson). I believe they would target good teams who bring a new TV market. This is all about $$$. Possibly a team from the Northeast or maybe a West Virginia or similar. Not sure what there TV market is like. Perhaps even another team from the mid West. Nebraska would be a home run no doubt.

I'm not concerned about playing more blue bloods. I think adding UT and OK will be good for our recruiting. Kids want to play in the big time and the SEC has almost an NFL level excitement / feel about it. This move just bolsters that and I think most kids want to be a part of it. This is why I DO NOT WANT Clemson in the SEC. Besides, I think the ACC will do whatever is necessary to keep it's top programs. Plus, we need other conferences to survive. Would be boring if there was only 1 good conference IMO.

I'm not concerned about playing more blue bloods. I think adding UT and OK will be good for our recruiting. Kids want to play in the big time and the SEC has almost an NFL level excitement / feel about it. This move just bolsters that and I think most kids want to be a part of it. This is why I DO NOT WANT Clemson in the SEC. Besides, I think the ACC will do whatever is necessary to keep it's top programs. Plus, we need other conferences to survive. Would be boring if there was only 1 good conference IMO.ll
Honestly don't believe it will help recruiting as we wil be recruiting primarily against others also in our conference....especially for the better players. Another unprecedented run of SCHS talent would probably help but the ground has shifted a bit since the last time that occurred.

This is a wish list obviously....

NC State, Va Tech, Maryland, West Virginia

West Virginia does not add much other than, THE SEC wants big state flagship type schools...

ECU, Central FL, does not fit the bill.....

otherwise, from a basketball prospective...

UNC, UVA, Maryland & Duke...if Maryland does not leave the B10, then WVU....

This is a wish list obviously....

NC State, Va Tech, Maryland, West Virginia

West Virginia does not add much other than, THE SEC wants big state flagship type schools...

ECU, Central FL, does not fit the bill.....

otherwise, from a basketball prospective...

UNC, UVA, Maryland & Duke...if Maryland does not leave the B10, then WVU....
To pull UNC and NCSU out seperately will require the whole ACC agrees to split up and head their own ways. Both schools are controlled by the same Board. VaTech owes its current existance to UVA and the State of Virginia sacrificing a lot of political capital to get them admitted to the ACC....I doubt one school will leave the other behind. The SEC can't offer near the financial windfall of the B1G....so UMD is more than likely out.

Ohio St.
WVa
ECU just to PO all North Carolinaers
Michigan-could schedule Mich and OSU on same weekend and save travel expenses plus having to play on tundra and in -30 degree F temps. Get it all over with in one weekend.

No Clemson or FSU. FSU had their chance and said nein. Don't wanna throw a life jacket to Clemson ACC soon to be B12 like member.

Note:WVa has an open admission policy to all WVa HS graduates so that dilutes their academic score. They are a good school with hard working, honest, decent WVa people.

I don't think they will go with that many smaller private schools. Miami might be an exception due to that south Florida TV market.
TV was all I was considering. My “fifth “ choice was Houston. The Cougars are interchangeable with SMU or TCU, whom I consider big money schools. With that being said, Houston would wrap up the state of Texas. The Houston and Dallas TV markets would be a boon to the SEC.
Miami and FSU would lock up Florida.

TV was all I was considering. My “fifth “ choice was Houston. The Cougars are interchangeable with SMU or TCU, whom I consider big money schools. With that being said, Houston would wrap up the state of Texas. The Houston and Dallas TV markets would be a boon to the SEC.
I think having both the flagship university and the humongous land grant university on board takes care of Texas. There won't be any additions now with only regional appeal, I don't believe.

Deer lowered, what is wrong with you people?!! Listen to yourselves! A 20 team "conference?" And talking about Penn State and Nebraska and Maryland and, hell, just add Bumfu*k, Egypt while we're at it! Y'all won't be satisfied until every single team is in the SEC. The SECAA: It JUST means $$$.

Deer lowered, what is wrong with you people?!! Listen to yourselves! A 20 team "conference?" And talking about Penn State and Nebraska and Maryland and, hell, just add Bumfu*k, Egypt while we're at it! Y'all won't be satisfied until every single team is in the SEC. The SECAA: It JUST means $$$.
Well you know the ole saying, "JUST DO IT"....I think the SEC is DOING it....

If the Big 10 could lure North Carolina and Virginia, I believe the SEC would go after and get NC State and Virginia Tech and stop at 18. The ACC would then be going the way of the old Metro.

If the Big 10 could lure North Carolina and Virginia, I believe the SEC would go after and get NC State and Virginia Tech and stop at 18. The ACC would then be going the way of the old Metro.
Jeez, I hope not. Three 6-Team pods will not schedule very well. 20 Schools in four 5-Team pods schedules almost as easily as 16 teams in four 4-Team pods. Of course all of this is assuming a 9-Game conference schedule.

1. Clemson
2. Florida St.
3. UNC
4. Virginia

The SEC is looking for money. No way they look at Clemson and FSU. Look at the Market

Jeez, I hope not. Three 6-Team pods will not schedule very well. 20 Schools in four 5-Team pods schedules almost as easily as 16 teams in four 4-Team pods. Of course all of this is assuming a 9-Game conference schedule.
If the SEC went to 20, I could see adding Kansas and Cincinnati. Both would beef up the SEC basketball portfolio and bring in new states . Cincinnati is in the very southern part of Ohio, just across the river from Kentucky. West Virginia would also be an option.

If the SEC went to 20, I could see adding Kansas and Cincinnati. Both would beef up the SEC basketball portfolio and bring in new states . Cincinnati is in the very southern part of Ohio, just across the river from Kentucky.
During this round of expansion, terms that nobody uses (except for fans) are "TV Footprint" or "Cable Subscribers". So many households have "Cut the Cable" and gone to streaming services all the media services care about now is a school's "Brand".

The Internet has no City Limits or State Borders. UT is a bigger brand in Texas than A&M. That's why they were brought in even though A&M already had that cable market covered.

Clemson and FSU are much larger brands for the SEC than Kansas (The Big East proved basketball doesn't matter) and Cincy (a niche brand at best).

Didn't say they were SEC caliber. Hell, we aren't SEC caliber. Simply that they have the SEC feel about them. Their gameday atmosphere is on par with the SEC, as is VT's.

UNC, Duke, UVa - gameday atmosphere is an afterthought.
Admittedly, I have not been to a game at NCSU since we played there, but no why their game day is on par with the SEC. And when we went there, I always thought the only reason the atmosphere was decent was because we usually had 15-20K fans there taking over.

In the ACC, I dont think their game day is any better than GT, UVA, UNC.

Dabo would leave Clemson before he would coach in the SEC, He has the easiest schedule of any team with a path to the National Championship every year!! His team is also the least injured team because of the schedule they have faced compared to the other playoff teams. So if the tigers come to the SEC Dabo won't last long!!!

So the argument keeps being, the North Carolina schools can't leave the ACC due to the Charter they have in place". So my question is, when NC State is mentioned, they can't leave BUT when UNC is being considered to the B10, there is no mention of the Charter.

If I were in NC State's shoes, I would jump at the chance to join the SEC rather than waiting to see what UNC will do. If UNC & UVA leave for the B10 and the SEC has gone to 20 members at that point, NC State would be forced to join a watered down conference like the AAC or old Big East.

The damned ole ACC is a reactionary conference, not a forward thinking conference like the SEC...

And if UNC joined the B10, do you think the folks in the Triangle would get excited about playing Iowa, Michigan State, Northwestern, Nebraska, Illinois, in football...yeh I can see Michigan and OSU but come on, they would have no natural rivalry...it would make for boring reading in the sports sections of the newspapers to read about what is going on in Lansing Michigan with MSU versus playing in the SEC where you play UGA, UF, us, UT and reading what's going on in Athens, Knoxville, etc..

UNC lived by the sword (controlling the ACC) and I guess, they'll die by the sword (moving to B10 or having Clemson and FSU leave with a watered down conference). John Swofford was BAD for the ACC...we should thank him for getting BC, Syracuse, Pitt, & Louisville into the ACC.

So the argument keeps being, the North Carolina schools can't leave the ACC due to the Charter they have in place". So my question is, when NC State is mentioned, they can't leave BUT when UNC is being considered to the B10, there is no mention of the Charter.

If I were in NC State's shoes, I would jump at the chance to join the SEC rather than waiting to see what UNC will do. If UNC & UVA leave for the B10 and the SEC has gone to 20 members at that point, NC State would be forced to join a watered down conference like the AAC or old Big East.

The damned ole ACC is a reactionary conference, not a forward thinking conference like the SEC...

And if UNC joined the B10, do you think the folks in the Triangle would get excited about playing Iowa, Michigan State, Northwestern, Nebraska, Illinois, in football...yeh I can see Michigan and OSU but come on, they would have no natural rivalry...it would make for boring reading in the sports sections of the newspapers to read about what is going on in Lansing Michigan with MSU versus playing in the SEC where you play UGA, UF, us, UT and reading what's going on in Athens, Knoxville, etc..

UNC lived by the sword (controlling the ACC) and I guess, they'll die by the sword (moving to B10 or having Clemson and FSU leave with a watered down conference). John Swofford was BAD for the ACC...we should thank him for getting BC, Syracuse, Pitt, & Louisville into the ACC.
Both UNC and NCSU have the same issue regardless of conference.

Based on their past history and requirements, there are only 5 ACC schools that the B1G will consider....GaTech, Duke, UNC, UVA, and Pitt......and, if you consider them an ACC school, UND. Regardless they would all face hurdles getting out of the ACC agreements or dealing with state political issues.....same if they wanted to go to the SEC.

The move to the B1G would be a decision based on more than football, or athletics in general. Saying that, the B1G does have some great stadiums and atmosphere (though different) to visit and enjoy games.

Clemson, FSU, GT, Louisville
Each currently has a rivalry game vs. an SEC team. Those games currently are somewhat meaningless. Make those games mean something in the conference standings.

Reactions: OldWiseCock
Both UNC and NCSU have the same issue regardless of conference.

Based on their past history and requirements, there are only 5 ACC schools that the B1G will consider....GaTech, Duke, UNC, UVA, and Pitt......and, if you consider them an ACC school, UND. Regardless they would all face hurdles getting out of the ACC agreements or dealing with state political issues.....same if they wanted to go to the SEC.

The move to the B1G would be a decision based on more than football, or athletics in general. Saying that, the B1G does have some great stadiums and atmosphere (though different) to visit and enjoy games.
YES BUT, UVA vs Iowa, UNC vs Northwestern, or add any combination you like and I don't see the locals in the Triangle getting too excited...

Give me us vs UGA, TX, UF, UK, A&M, LSU, Auburn, Bama and I get excited...if we were playing anybody other than OSU or Michgian from the B1G, forget it....

So, I'm ready to say, lets bring in Clemson, FSU, and either GT, NCSU or VT....I want to see the Tarholes sink and enjoy their new conference either in the B1G or a watered down ACC (Big East, esq)....

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT