ADVERTISEMENT

SEC rule change to benefit Florida?

BattleshipTexas

Oct 15, 2001
How do you feel about Florida planning to sneak through an SEC rule change at the upcoming SEC meeting so that they can take Malik Zaire (ex-Notre Dame QB) as a graduate transfer? He is looking around as a graduate transfer, but right now Florida can't take him. Because under current SEC rules, Florida cannot take any graduate transfers until 2019 because former graduate transfers Mason Halter and Anthony Harrell failed to meet SEC mandates back in 2015. Unless the SEC changes the rule next week, Zaire can't transfer to Florida. Florida will try to sneak through a change or waiver at the SEC meetings.

Why does a Texas Longhorn care? Zaire is down to Texas and Florida as his final two choices (Wisconsin a third choice but behind), but prefers Florida after watching the QB competition at each school in the spring games. So if he can't go to Florida, he may wind up at Texas. So are y'all in favor of benefiting Florida (SEC! SEC! SEC!) or is bending the current rules to help your competition (Florida) for the SEC title too much to ask? ⊚ ⊚

Last edited:
I agree Mr. Longhorn, 100% No rule bending!

tenor.gif

Reactions: NooNoo and vehemon
I don't think it's right but he's not that good.

Why? He was a high 4-star recruit out of high school. Won the ND starting job during his sophomore year and beat LSU in a bowl game where he was MVP. Won the starting job his junior year then broke an ankle early in the season. Competed for a starting spot as a senior, but lost out to DeShone Kizer who was the Browns 2nd round pick at #52 in the NFL 2017 draft. Looks pretty good to me.

Why? He was a high 4-star recruit out of high school. Won the ND starting job during his sophomore year and beat LSU in a bowl game where he was MVP. Won the starting job his junior year then broke an ankle early in the season. Competed for a starting spot as a senior, but lost out to DeShone Kizer who was the Browns 2nd round pick at #52 in the NFL 2017 draft. Looks pretty good to me.
How many games did he win for ND?

Tell's me that McElwain still doesn't have a QB he feels comfortable with. Thought he had a couple of young studs? No, UF shouldn't get a waiver....we never received one from the strictness of the rules.
Bingo. The guys they have are underwhelming and they need help at QB. Apparently they are pretty set everywhere else so they're not going to let another year go by with mediocre play at the position.

So change the rules do what you have to do. I can't blame them they want to win.

Paul Stone (a reporter) said "Zaire's camp believes SEC will change stance, opening door for Ohio native to join Gators. Let's say 60-65% chance he lands in Gainesville."

How many games did he win for ND?

He won every game he started with the exception of the game against Texas (Texas won in overtime with Zaire and Kizer splitting snaps). He lead Notre Dame to a 31–28 victory over LSU in a bowl game and earned the game's MVP.

He won every game he started with the exception of the game against Texas (Texas won in overtime with Zaire and Kizer splitting snaps). He lead Notre Dame to a 31–28 victory over LSU in a bowl game and earned the game's MVP.
I guess that's why Florida will do "whatever" to get him!

I guess that's why Florida will do "whatever" to get him!

I know Florida would, but why would the rest of the SEC let them? Why have rules at all? Would South Carolina get the rules bent if a situation was advantageous to y'all?

Jim McElwain doesn't live by the rules, he does what he wants, when he wants, and to whom he wants

florida-gators-coach-jim-mcelwain-not-naked-guy-humping-shark.jpg

I found this gif as well which is one of their assistants when he saw a shark last night

tumblr_muepl5FX1T1szzka4o1_250.gif

How does it feel to be in an SEC where Florida can get rules changed to benefit it competitively, but SC can't?

Sources tell the press that former Irish QB Malik Zaire is telling people he has chosen Florida, is now just waiting for SEC to change transfer rules.

"One person who may be watching this development this week with great interest is likely former Notre Dame quarterback Malik Zaire. Zaire is suspected to be down to deciding whether to transfer to Florida or Texas, and he has already pushed back his decision seemingly to wait and see if the Gators will be an actual option. For that to happen, the SEC will have to amend its graduate transfer policy or allow Florida an exemption.

Florida is unable to add a graduate transfer like Zaire because two previous graduate transfers (former Georgia Tech linebacker Anthony Harrell and former Fordham offensive lineman Mason Halter) failed to meet the academic requirements after transferring to Florida. That put Florida on a three-year ban from adding any graduate transfers through 2018."

http://collegefootballtalk.nbcsport...s-graduate-transfer-rules-at-spring-meetings/

The changing of the rule had already been in discussion....SEC is the only conference with a rule like this and that puts all the teams theoretically at a disadvantage when it comes to taking transfers. Still think Franks will be the starter with Zaire or the freshman Toney as a change of pace.

Reactions: BigTomE
The changing of the rule had already been in discussion....SEC is the only conference with a rule like this and that puts all the teams theoretically at a disadvantage when it comes to taking transfers. Still think Franks will be the starter with Zaire or the freshman Toney as a change of pace.

Somehow, if Zaire were transferring to SC, I doubt there would be this rush to change it.

Somehow, if Zaire were transferring to SC, I doubt there would be this rush to change it.

Maybe not but why have a rule that handicaps your conference against everyone else?? It needs to change....you let schools give kids 4 or 5 failed drug test but then you penalize a school because a kid that has a degree didn't go to class?? Stupid.

Maybe not but why have a rule that handicaps your conference against everyone else?? It needs to change....you let schools give kids 4 or 5 failed drug test but then you penalize a school because a kid that has a degree didn't go to class?? Stupid.
The conference still has a JUCO rule that caused us to lose a couple of players to FSU. Hadn't heard a peep about them changing that rule.

Reactions: conwayscock
How does it feel to be in an SEC where Florida can get rules changed to benefit it competitively, but SC can't?

Sources tell the press that former Irish QB Malik Zaire is telling people he has chosen Florida, is now just waiting for SEC to change transfer rules.

"One person who may be watching this development this week with great interest is likely former Notre Dame quarterback Malik Zaire. Zaire is suspected to be down to deciding whether to transfer to Florida or Texas, and he has already pushed back his decision seemingly to wait and see if the Gators will be an actual option. For that to happen, the SEC will have to amend its graduate transfer policy or allow Florida an exemption.

Florida is unable to add a graduate transfer like Zaire because two previous graduate transfers (former Georgia Tech linebacker Anthony Harrell and former Fordham offensive lineman Mason Halter) failed to meet the academic requirements after transferring to Florida. That put Florida on a three-year ban from adding any graduate transfers through 2018."

http://collegefootballtalk.nbcsport...s-graduate-transfer-rules-at-spring-meetings/
Seriously, how does a graduate transfer from anywhere not meet academic requirements anywhere outside the Ivy League? That's really bizarre.

Seriously, how does a graduate transfer from anywhere not meet academic requirements anywhere outside the Ivy League? That's really bizarre.

They have to go to class. The 2 guys that got Florida on the ban list did not go to class they basically just transferred to play football....suspended for bowl games because they were ruled academically ineligible....left the team for draft because who cared they already had degrees from other schools. SEC is only conference with this type of ban for teams.

They have to go to class. The 2 guys that got Florida on the ban list did not go to class they basically just transferred to play football....suspended for bowl games because they were ruled academically ineligible....left the team for draft because who cared they already had degrees from other schools. SEC is only conference with this type of ban for teams.
Do you think there should be no repercussions for that behavior?

I don't think anyone is sneaking through the rule. Everyone has heard the story by now. It's been written about in all the papers.

The SEC is the only P5 conference with such a rule. Change it and even the playing field.

Do you think there should be no repercussions for that behavior?

They have repercussions for the student. The NCAA sees no need in penalizing the schools so why does the SEC? I would assume these players in some way count against your APR so that would also penalize the school. It is a stupid rule by one conference.

So they did it for Florida:

#Gators AD Scott Stricklin said the SEC will reduce graduate transfer penalty from three to one year. Paves way for Malik Zaire transfer

Seems like the SEC has a caste system with Alabama and Florida getting whatever they want and most others not. We knew the Big 12 was that way with Texas and OU running the show, but thought the SEC wasn't that way. I guess it is.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT