ADVERTISEMENT

SEC VS. ACC Money

I predict ESPN goes into Chapter 11 before the ACC Network launches. The big penalty ESPN agreed to pay the ACC if the channel never launches becomes a contingent, unliquidated debt that is wiped out in the reorg.

What ? I think he was just starting a conversation.
Not meant to be taken as hostile as it seemed. But it does seem petty to brag about how much more money you have whilst the poors just unloaded an ass kicking and won the national championship.

Maybe, if we were in the ACC we might not be able to recruit as well, sure wouldn't have had the revenue we have received the last few years, I also like going on the road to play in big, loud football stadiums. Agree the basketball is better but you can't have everything.

Maybe, if we were in the ACC we might not be able to recruit as well, sure wouldn't have had the revenue we have received the last few years, I also like going on the road to play in big, loud football stadiums. Agree the basketball is better but you can't have everything.
And where has that gotten us?

I predict ESPN goes into Chapter 11 before the ACC Network launches. The big penalty ESPN agreed to pay the ACC if the channel never launches becomes a contingent, unliquidated debt that is wiped out in the reorg.

ESPN is owned by Disney. They aren't going anywhere. The network still makes money, just haven't made as much with so many cord cutters and having to pay huge rights fees.

Reactions: rogue cock
ESPN is owned by Disney. They aren't going anywhere. The network still makes money, just haven't made as much with so many cord cutters and having to pay huge rights fees.

Cord cutting is a trend that will continue to reshape cable. The days when ESPN could get $10 per subscriber are ending. ESPN is losing hundreds of millions of dollars. The path they are on is unsustainable.

CockopotamusMember

Not meant to be taken as hostile as it seemed. But it does seem petty to brag about how much more money you have whilst the poors just unloaded an ass kicking and won the national championship.

This is insane! What Carolina fan would say something like this?

Reactions: tl from little hell
Pretty revealing. They should be thankful they got all that Maryland money year before last.

https://www.seccountry.com/sec/sec-beating-acc-revenue-2017

Bad news is I don't think they get much of a deal out of ESPN on their so-called network.
Article mentions 14 ACC members even though the league has 15.

How do they split that with ND not competing in football (speaks poorly of the ACC IMO to agree to this) and Syracuse not sponsoring baseball?

Article mentions 14 ACC members even though the league has 15.

How do they split that with ND not competing in football (speaks poorly of the ACC IMO to agree to this) and Syracuse not sponsoring baseball?

Notre Dame does not receive a share of the following from their ACC payout:

-TV contract
-CFP payout
-Orange bowl/access bowl payout

Notre Dame receives a cut from the rest of the revenue. To put it in perspective, last year each ACC school got around $24-25 million from the conference. Notre Dame got around $5-6 million.

Syracuse not sponsoring baseball isn't an issue. Several schools (including Clemson) don't compete in all sports sponsored by the conference.

You do realize, the Big 12 offered Notre Dame the same deal before they decided to join the ACC.

-TV contract
-CFP payout

Notre Dame receives a cut from the rest of the revenue. To put it in perspective, last year each ACC school got around $24-25 million from the conference. Notre Dame got around $5-6 million.

Syracuse not sponsoring baseball isn't an issue. Several schools (including Clemson) don't compete in all sports sponsored by the conference.

You do realize, the Big 12 offered Notre Dame the same deal before they decided to join the ACC.
Okay, then in general, how does the conference split revenues in sports in which not all 15 members compete?

Okay, then in general, how does the conference split revenues in sports in which not all 15 members compete?

Essentially, they don't. They don't parse it out like, "Well, Clemson doesn't compete in softball (well, until now), so they don't get X amount." The olympic sports generate minimal (and I mean minimal) revenue. The only sports that bring in significant revenue are football and men's basketball. They basically just put all the money in a pot, and divide it up more or less equally among the schools. The variation in payouts comes more from things like compensation for expenses. (For example, Clemson got a little more for traveling to the playoffs and the final.)

I need to correct something I said earlier. Notre Dame does get a small portion of the TV contract. The ACC takes out the "football" money, and the remainder is split evenly with Notre Dame. The TV contract breaks down as follows:

Football- 85%
Everything else - 15%

Notre Dame gets 1/15 of the remaining 15%.

Last edited:
Reactions: atl-cock
CockopotamusMember

I was thinking the same thing.

-TV contract
-CFP payout

You said ND gets around $5-6 million of ACC money. Just curious: How much money does ND get from its non-ACC sports and broadcast contracts?

You said ND gets around $5-6 million of ACC money. Just curious: How much money does ND get from its non-ACC sports and broadcast contracts?

Notre Dame gets around $15-20 million a year from NBC. Then they have their radio/other contract, which I don't know the exact amount. It's not too far off from the NBC deal though. Maybe like $10 million a year or so. I'm a little less solid on that one.

CockopotamusMember

A rational one?

CockopotamusMember
New

CockopotamusMember

A rational one?

Nothing rational about it...one fact has nothing to do with the other fact. You always want to make more money...If possible. We know what happened with the football program, that resulted in our downturn. It had nothing to do with money.

The fact that you stated that...we should be in the ACC, instead of the SEC, proves you are anything but rational.

Reactions: mUSCle Gamecock
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT