ADVERTISEMENT

SECN vs SECN+

Just called DirectV and they cannot give SECN+ but did offer to reduce my bill $10 per month for 12 months no contract. Not sure I want to switch to Dish yet mainly because I like not being under contract to see how all this is about to play out. So to your friends who have directV and don't even care about sports they could call and ask for it and consider I gve them $120. You're al welcome.

Originally posted by Gamecock122:
what is the actual difference?
SECN+ is the availability of SECN online and also some games are only shown online and can only be seen on SECN+. I'm switching from TWC to AT&T Uverse precisely because both SECN and SECN+ are available on Uverse.

As I've been told by someone who works there:

SEC Network is an actual station owned by ESPN, with ESPN employees. Professionally done broadcast by professionals.
No different than what you'd see on ESPN or ESPNU.

SECN+ is something all the SEC schools agreed to provide for more of the "less popular" games. Not done professionally by ESPN employees, but rather done by schools featuring school employees. The budget for these games is a fraction of an actual ESPN SEC Network game.

When the ESPN was negotiating with all the cable and satellite companies to carry the ESPN SEC Network, the deal was to carry the actual network NOT the digital-University run channel SECN+.

Thus, we don't have it on our cable or satellite systems now.

DirecTV has come to an agreement to carry WatchESPN which will include the SECN+ network. Both of these are online only networks. They would not give me an exact date, but said that the service "should" start by end of Feb, first of March.

Originally posted by cock enforcer:
As I've been told by someone who works there:

SEC Network is an actual station owned by ESPN, with ESPN employees. Professionally done broadcast by professionals.
No different than what you'd see on ESPN or ESPNU.

SECN+ is something all the SEC schools agreed to provide for more of the "less popular" games. Not done professionally by ESPN employees, but rather done by schools featuring school employees. The budget for these games is a fraction of an actual ESPN SEC Network game.

When the ESPN was negotiating with all the cable and satellite companies to carry the ESPN SEC Network, the deal was to carry the actual network NOT the digital-University run channel SECN+.

Thus, we don't have it on our cable or satellite systems now.
You are correct regarding how SECN+ functions. Many member institutions have had to upgrade their a/v capabilities in order to supply content to the platform.

Please explain what you mean by "When the ESPN was negotiating with all the cable and satellite companies to carry the ESPN SEC Network, the deal was to carry the actual network NOT the digital-University run channel SECN+."

Comcast does have SECN+ as part of it's internet access product. It's my understanding that Charter does, and Time Warner Cable does not. Probably not a good idea to make a generalization such as "Thus, we don't have it on our cable or satellite systems now." I have it, as do many other posters.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT