ADVERTISEMENT

Second NBA player stands for the anthem

Status
Not open for further replies.
Meantime Drew Brees continues to back peddle and making it worse on himself.
The difference is Leonard didn't say anything about why others are kneeling or not. He didn't condemn them or criticize them for it. He merely decided that that manner of protest was not for him. Instead of dictating to others what they should do, he did what he felt he needed to do.

Good for him. Hated that Brees backpedaled but I bet he and his family received death threats for saying something pro-American. Vote Democratic and we will all be silenced if we disagree with their liberal views. Strange thing is that liberal used to equal tolerance - all opinions welcome. Only conservative groups will tolerate different opinions now without threatening violence or some type of boycott or blackballing. .

Reactions: pisgah
Strange thing is that liberal used to equal tolerance - all opinions welcome.

When? They've been narrow minded bullies for the longest time. Just look at the wall that European liberals built during the Cold War to force others to accept their views.

Good for him. Hated that Brees backpedaled but I bet he and his family received death threats for saying something pro-American. Vote Democratic and we will all be silenced if we disagree with their liberal views. Strange thing is that liberal used to equal tolerance - all opinions welcome. Only conservative groups will tolerate different opinions now without threatening violence or some type of boycott or blackballing. .
Excellent quotes in the article. He explains exactly how many Americans feel right now.
We'll find out on election day.

Reactions: ClowneyPosse
Well, I plan to ONLY watch that one player when I watch Heat games. I will block out all his commie teammates or pay no attention to them!

That’ll show em!

Reactions: paladin181
Guys with Meyers Leonard's attitude will go a long way towards healing and getting guys to stand. His outlook works much better than threatening guys and saying you better stand or else.

Last edited:
Well, I plan to ONLY watch that one player when I watch Heat games. I will block out all his commie teammates or pay no attention to them!

That’ll show em!

Or better yet refuse to watch while these assholes dishonor the very country that allows them to be richer than 99.9% of the entire planet's inhabitants. Imagine, praising someone for STANDING during our National Anthem. What a fornicating disgrace pro sports has become. Hope they all fold!

Or better yet refuse to watch while these assholes dishonor the very country that allows them to be richer than 99.9% of the entire planet's inhabitants. Imagine, praising someone for STANDING during our National Anthem. What a fornicating disgrace pro sports has become. Hope they all fold!
Allow?? Those guys earned that money. In most endeavors, you make money when you are one of the best in the world. I am willing to bet that the majority of the people here complaining about the anthem don't attend any games and watch less than 5 NBA games during any given NBA season. if you look at the PJ Dozier thread that I created yesterday. Many on here have not followed the league in 20-30 years. So, their success or lack thereof, is not based on your support.

Allow?? Those guys earned that money. In most endeavors, you make money when you are one of the best in the world. I am willing to bet that the majority of the people here complaining about the anthem don't attend any games and watch less than 5 NBA games during any given NBA season. if you look at the PJ Dozier thread that I created yesterday. Many on here have not followed the league in 20-30 years. So, their success or lack thereof, is not based on your support.
Irony, many of the people offended by athletes they don't support in a sport they don't watch will say that people are just looking for a reason to be offended when others complain about an injustice.

It's not just about current customers, it's about growth and new customers.

Why do you think they are willing to sell their soul to get into China, a country that just unleashed a pandemic on the world and whose human rights violations are far beyond anything we have seen here since slavery?

Hypocrites.

It's not just about current customers, it's about growth and new customers.

Why do you think they are willing to sell their soul to get into China, a country that just unleashed a pandemic on the world and whose human rights violations are far beyond anything we have seen here since slavery?

Hypocrites.
You are not watching man and don't plan to watch I'm willing to bet. You are just complaining hoping to influence a few that do. Nice try.

Edit: They didn't just beg to get into China. The demand was, and still is, there because you had a Chinese star in the league. That is what made the statements of the Houston Rockets General Manager about Hong Kong ironic. The Houston Rockets are the most popular team in China due to Yao Ming. Then a person connected with that team messes that relationship up.

Last edited:
The difference is Leonard didn't say anything about why others are kneeling or not. He didn't condemn them or criticize them for it. He merely decided that that manner of protest was not for him. Instead of dictating to others what they should do, he did what he felt he needed to do.
You are pretty good at this common sense thing Paladin.

You do realize without pro sports, 95% of the athletes killing themselves to be the best of the best in the College game would cease to care right? College athletics would end as we know of the pros folded. Be careful what you wish for my friend...

Reactions: Legendary Cock
It seems the whole US is caving in to the hypocritical farce known as BLM. The average young black man in the US is 40 times more likely to be shot by another black man than a policeman. As far as "systemic racism" that's a crock also. The BLM nutcases roll out the disproportionate number (per capita population) of black families in poverty as well as black men incarcerated. There are, and have been for at least the past 60 years, 3 main indicators/predictors of poverty in this country: 1) teenage unwed mother, 2) either mother or child, or both, do not finish high school, 3) alcohol or drug abuse in the family. Those 3 plus 2 more are indicators/predictors of incarceration, whether you are white, black, purple or green. The last two indicators for getting your sunlight in squares are 4) lack of respect for the law or the police at an early age, leading to juvenile run-ins 5) affiliation with gangs. Now just peruse national statistics on poverty and incarceration by race along with the statistics on these social indicators. This is not rocket science! Is there still some racism in the US? Unfortunately, and sadly, yes! Do some police officers go too far? Absolutely! However, anyone who really desires to defund or abolish the police forces anywhere in this great country needs to apply for the Ghana invitation to switch residences, nationalities and countries!

Reactions: haneynfl

Yep, players choosing for themselves. I love it.

You do realize without pro sports, 95% of the athletes killing themselves to be the best of the best in the College game would cease to care right? College athletics would end as we know of the pros folded. Be careful what you wish for my friend...

Pro sports aren't going anywhere anyway, but I don't think college athletics would end. We averaged 75 - 80 thousands fans during a 21 games losing streak because people loved Carolina.

Pro sports aren't going anywhere anyway, but I don't think college athletics would end. We averaged 75 - 80 thousands fans during a 21 games losing streak because people loved Carolina.

No we didn’t.

we might have had that many pay for a ticket, but I was at every one of those home games and unless they came disguised as empty seats, it didn’t happen.

No we didn’t.

we might have had that many pay for a ticket, but I was at every one of those home games and unless they came disguised as empty seats, it didn’t happen.

I was at every one of those home games, too, and what he said is true. He didn't say each game had at least 75,000, he said they averaged 75 to 80 thousand.

It seems the whole US is caving in to the hypocritical farce known as BLM. The average young black man in the US is 40 times more likely to be shot by another black man than a policeman. As far as "systemic racism" that's a crock also. The BLM nutcases roll out the disproportionate number (per capita population) of black families in poverty as well as black men incarcerated. There are, and have been for at least the past 60 years, 3 main indicators/predictors of poverty in this country: 1) teenage unwed mother, 2) either mother or child, or both, do not finish high school, 3) alcohol or drug abuse in the family. Those 3 plus 2 more are indicators/predictors of incarceration, whether you are white, black, purple or green. The last two indicators for getting your sunlight in squares are 4) lack of respect for the law or the police at an early age, leading to juvenile run-ins 5) affiliation with gangs. Now just peruse national statistics on poverty and incarceration by race along with the statistics on these social indicators. This is not rocket science! Is there still some racism in the US? Unfortunately, and sadly, yes! Do some police officers go too far? Absolutely! However, anyone who really desires to defund or abolish the police forces anywhere in this great country needs to apply for the Ghana invitation to switch residences, nationalities and countries!
So again, please, everyone- do not confuse BLM the “organization” with people who say BLM in the streets or wear it on their shirts to bring attention to racism in America. That gives people an “out” to claim they have a virtuous reason not support this movement: “I read some manifesto by some person who claims to be high up within the BLM organization and they said some stuff I don’t like so screw anyone with a BLM t shirt on!!” Sound familiar? It should... that is practically word for word how half of the posts opposing BLM start.

Racism is systemic in our culture and it does play out in the hiring practices of major corporations, the brutality waged in the streets by the police and the severity of sentences given to black vs white offenders for virtually identical crimes. Mixing narratives to cloud the situation is not helping the situation. If you truly believe racism is “unfortunate”, then perhaps instead of spending your efforts scouring the internet to find statistics that vaguely reinforce your preconceived notions on the matter, you could try to do some good to help the unfortunate situation. Trying to bark down people for supporting equality is not a reasonable path towards make things better IMO. So, all I ask is the same I have asked of others on here- many of whom attacked me for asking this- Think introspectively about why you feel so passionately that the BLM movement is a “hypocritical farce”. When you yourself admit racism is still an unfortunate issue, would it not make more sense to embrace the idea behind the movement even if you are not a fan of BLM the organization, as the MOVEMENT is about equality and trying to better the lives of a people who have been oppressed in our society for centuries. Thank you for contributing a well thought out post on the matter- I hope only that my reply may make you think a bit and perhaps may get others thinking about this in a different way. I fully endorse and respect your- and others’- right to disagree with me.

So again, please, everyone- do not confuse BLM the “organization” with people who say BLM in the streets or wear it on their shirts to bring attention to racism in America. That gives people an “out” to claim they have a virtuous reason not support this movement: “I read some manifesto by some person who claims to be high up within the BLM organization and they said some stuff I don’t like so screw anyone with a BLM t shirt on!!” Sound familiar? It should... that is practically word for word how half of the posts opposing BLM start.

Racism is systemic in our culture and it does play out in the hiring practices of major corporations, the brutality waged in the streets by the police and the severity of sentences given to black vs white offenders for virtually identical crimes. Mixing narratives to cloud the situation is not helping the situation. If you truly believe racism is “unfortunate”, then perhaps instead of spending your efforts scouring the internet to find statistics that vaguely reinforce your preconceived notions on the matter, you could try to do some good to help the unfortunate situation. Trying to bark down people for supporting equality is not a reasonable path towards make things better IMO. So, all I ask is the same I have asked of others on here- many of whom attacked me for asking this- Think introspectively about why you feel so passionately that the BLM movement is a “hypocritical farce”. When you yourself admit racism is still an unfortunate issue, would it not make more sense to embrace the idea behind the movement even if you are not a fan of BLM the organization, as the MOVEMENT is about equality and trying to better the lives of a people who have been oppressed in our society for centuries. Thank you for contributing a well thought out post on the matter- I hope only that my reply may make you think a bit and perhaps may get others thinking about this in a different way. I fully endorse and respect your- and others’- right to disagree with me.

Dude, you're wasting your time. Conservatives and republicans are bigots. It doesn't require a thesis to say that.

Reactions: Bleedgarnet33
I said “end as we know it”- IOW, college sports are currently the minor leagues in FB and BB- a way to show your talents to the pros and get drafted and that is why thousands of kids break their bodies trying to make a name for themselves in the sport. Not just for the love of the game or the love of their school... It is to get paid. If there is no gravy train luring them to do it, the vast majority would not and college athletics would change drastically because of it. There is no dearth of fans wanting to watch college or pro sports though, so as you indicate neither pro nor college athletics will end... BECAUSE OF THESE REASONS. COVID on the other hand... Yikes. I don’t know what will happen if we cant move past it soon.

Reactions: duckcock2
Dude, you're wasting your time. Conservatives and republicans are bigots. It doesn't require a thesis to say that.
I am trying to appeal to the common sense of people who are obviously Inteligent as I know why they harbor these immediate negative reactions to these movements... I was raised in the South to be “conservative” as well. I have just found that no one party embodies my feeling accurately on virtually any subject and was able to break through the biases and hate I was raised to harbor. So, while I know it is futile in most cases to try to get people to source their own reasons for their feelings on these matters.. i know it is also possible for people to have some self realization and turn the corner. It is not likely to spark a valuable dialogue if I jump on everyone who has a different opinion on this matter and start screaming “You racist Trump humper, you are all the same”... or whatever sort of insults people may want to throw at them. I do not think a person’s opinion on polarizing matters amounts to much of a description of who they are and I have found that looking past the differences we have can sometimes allow us to connect with people we never thought we would! I hope that makes sense to some of you. This is a complex subject with lots of harsh feelings around it so being verbose in my responses allows me to be specific enough to get my point across and relay that I understand where the other person comes from.

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/heats-...-anthem-with-teammates-support-174924459.html

Couldn’t find the thread about the first guy standing all of a sudden... Regardless, I am sure this young man will be praised exactly like/ by the same people as Issacs was when he said he would stand... Right?
I was concerned for a minute and then I realized this was about the NBA. I stopped watching that mess 30 years ago. Stand, kneel, sit or don't show up. I actually truly could not care less.

I was concerned for a minute and then I realized this was about the NBA. I stopped watching that mess 30 years ago. Stand, kneel, sit or don't show up. I actually truly could not care less.
Thank you, I have never been a HUGE NBA fan myself... But I tried to make it pretty clear in the thread title this was about the NBA! LOL

I know what he said, and no we didn’t.

Rollerdude on his way to a Carolina game.

images

Reactions: Fishwhistle11

Let's think about what you just wrote. "Do not confuse BLM the "organization" with people who say BLM in the streets or wear it on their shirts to bring attention to racism in America." Suppose I wear a t-shirt that has a MAGA slogan on it or run around in public places yelling "Make America Great Again!"? Would you assume I'm a Biden supporter? And no, I'm not a Trump supporter nor a Biden supporter. Why don't these noble folks wear shirts or carry slogans that say "Stop All Racism in America" instead of BLM? Racism is not systemic in the US because that infers, regardless of what some BLM proponents argue, that racism is written in the laws of the nation and the states. At one time it was clearly systemic, but now everyone does have equal opportunity under the law. By the way, I don't scour the internet for my statistics, they come from published research gleaned from 20+ years as a Sociology professor.

Please allow me to address your 3 proofs of systemic racism from a sociological perspective. Hiring practices in business, especially professional sports franchises or major corporations, as well as small business owners here in the South, lean heavily on personal knowledge of and social comfort with the potential applicant. Are you aware that most black owned corporations in the US have an inequitable number of black management positions compared to white management positions? This is no mystery, it's simple a matter of familiarity and comfort. The rank and file work force laborers are almost always more demographically represented, whether it's a mostly white or a mostly black community. If a black man is a proven and known commodity, willing and able to increase the coffers and sales of a white owned/managed company, I can guarantee you that he would be a management hire, as would a white man if the roles were reversed. As for the brutality waged in the streets by the police (since 2015 I'm guessing), how many of the BLM martyrs responded exactly and correctly to the officer's directives? How many failed to respond correctly, or worse yet, became aggressive or tried to run? My first post really explained this (lack of respect for the law at an early age) as well as the discrepancy in black v. white sentences for similar crimes .... poverty. Those who have more money and a better education get to hire better and more qualified lawyers. Do we really think that OJ was innocent of two horrific murders, or could he just afford and hire the best legal team that money could buy?

BLM is a farce and I'll never support it, but equality is another matter. I just have a problem with a national movement making millions of dollars that leaves my head scratching. If these BLM folks are really concerned with "all black lives", why aren't they marching in South Philly, Liberty City, Brooklyn and Chicago's South side when there are way too many gang-related deaths? It appears to me that the only black lives that really do matter to BLM are the ones taken by police officers. Incidentally, about 220 black folks are shot to death by the police each year in the US, including those who commit crimes and are shooting back. According to the NAACP and the Tuskegee Institute, from 1882-1968 there were 3,446 black people lynched in the US (mostly by the Klan in the South and Midwest) during the height of the Jim Crow era. That is an unbelievable tragedy and a shameful mark on US history. Unfortunately, for the past 20 years, the US has averaged 2500-3000 black on black murders each year (and yes, most whites are also killed by other whites, as are hispanics and orientals killed by the own), and I've never seen one single BLM protest over those deaths.

I think we both are much closer in thought than you think, but I just don't think that BLM is the vehicle that will get us safely to our destination. It really seems to be a fad for younger people, both black and white, who want to be a part of the national consciousness while being conspicuous out in the streets during a pandemic. Sadly, the underlying sociological problems in the communities and families have to be addressed before we can better our nation. Racism is still an issue, but it's far from being the most important issue in black communities all over America. Thank you for the invitation to respond, my friend!

Reactions: Gamecock Lifer
Rollerdude on his way to a Carolina game.

images

Nothing wrong with being compared to him. Looks like a great guy to me.
Thanks for the compliment

I’m sorry you consider your post a put down. That reveals plenty about you, but nothing unexpected.

Jonathan Isaac, the kid that was the first to stand for the anthem, just went down with what seems to be a pretty serious knee injury. He injured the same knee earlier in the year, but this time he had to be taken off in a wheelchair. Praying for the young man.

Reactions: GADAWGinIraq
Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT