ADVERTISEMENT

See you in a few months....

Jan 10, 2019
FloTown
I am an insurance adjuster and just got deployed out to Iowa. Drove to Kensucky today and will drive in to Cedar Rapids tomorrow. CR got SLAMMED with 110 mph winds and hail that lasted for a half hour+. Heard it looks like an atom bomb went off. Was on a conference call today where I heard they had 4000 claims today alone. The guy said "welcome to Iowa. You are going to be here awhile...." Told my wife best case scenario was 4-6 weeks but sounding more and more like it will be every bit of 3 months+. Great money, but after about 3 days of sitting in a hotel room writing claims, its gonna be depressing and what sucks even more is I may miss the entire deer season. Already missing my girls...Hope I can find a good place showing the boys playing. Ya'll see if you can hold the fort down and someone please put a leash on Rollerball.

I am an insurance adjuster and just got deployed out to Iowa. Drove to Kensucky today and will drive in to Cedar Rapids tomorrow. CR got SLAMMED with 110 mph winds and hail that lasted for a half hour+. Heard it looks like an atom bomb went off. Was on a conference call today where I heard they had 4000 claims today alone. The guy said "welcome to Iowa. You are going to be here awhile...." Told my wife best case scenario was 4-6 weeks but sounding more and more like it will be every bit of 3 months+. Great money, but after about 3 days of sitting in a hotel room writing claims, its gonna be depressing and what sucks even more is I may miss the entire deer season. Already missing my girls...Hope I can find a good place showing the boys playing. Ya'll see if you can hold the fort down and someone please put a leash on Rollerball.

Leash, my ass. That nut requires a straitjacket! Laughing Good luck and stay safe.

Dang, man take care of yourself.

Reactions: AsTheCockCrows
, its gonna be depressing and what sucks even more is I may miss the entire deer season..
Dude, you need to quit that job! Laughing

Just kidding. Hope you get through it and bank some good paydays.

For what it's worth, I hear those corn-fed deer in Iowa are monsters. Look into a non-resident license and get in good with one of those farmers when you process his claim.

Reactions: cocks rule
Thanks for the service and support that you're providing to your company's policy holders - coming to their homes, helping them forward - kudos to you.

Being away from family will stink, but know that you're making a real difference in the lives of many families who need your help...and there you are.

Stay safe and stay strong, thanks again.

Reactions: chicoxsox
Very saddened for those people out there. Happy for job security and income for you. Those people need to be served and someone has to do it - and be compensated for it.

Reactions: Gradstudent

Sucks to be gone but hopefully you can at least take some road trips back to SC in the meantime. I know the drive sucks but that’s a long time not to see the family.

Never had a claim in almost 30 years of purchasing insurance. Sounds like you’re helping some people that desperately need it and that has got to be rewarding.

I filed a claim this week. I was affected by the same storm a night before. We had quarter-size hail which actually caused some damage. I thought it was going to go through our skylight. The general contractor was fair and said we will probably get a new roof, which is great.

Can I ask if you work on commission? We were told that adjusters would likely be coming from out of state and do not work for the insurance company. Unless I misunderstood, having an adjuster that works on commission would be fine with us, because we would like a new roof (and the damage seems to warrant it).

Reactions: Gamecockben1979
Can I ask if you work on commission? We were told that adjusters would likely be coming from out of state and do not work for the insurance company. Unless I misunderstood, having an adjuster that works on commission would be fine with us, because we would like a new roof (and the damage seems to warrant it).
I am independent so we are either fee based, set by whatever the insurance carrier decides or I also work T&E. (Time & expense.) I actually work for the adjusting firm and have to split the fee schedule with the adjusting firm. Actually not split. Runs 60-75% that I get of that fee schedule. Just got to my hotel. Yea it’s bad. 98% of the folks here are still out of power. Thank god my hotel just got theirs back an hour before I got here.

Thanks for the service and support that you're providing to your company's policy holders - coming to their homes, helping them forward - kudos to you.

Being away from family will stink, but know that you're making a real difference in the lives of many families who need your help...and there you are.

Stay safe and stay strong, thanks again.
You are so welcome and Thank you! You are absolutely right. I enjoy helping folks put their lives back together but it is hard work. 7 days a week/15 hours a day during these kinds of events. I will have to fly home for a weekend if I’m still here in 6 weeks which, from the looks of things, is pretty likely.

Good luck my friend.

When you feel sad, under appreciated, get back on here where your friends will rip you to pieces. It always makes me feel more wanted!

Just for fun, ask every client, " hey, when is Iowa's first game?"

I am independent so we are either fee based, set by whatever the insurance carrier decides or I also work T&E. (Time & expense.) I actually work for the adjusting firm and have to split the fee schedule with the adjusting firm. Actually not split. Runs 60-75% that I get of that fee schedule. Just got to my hotel. Yea it’s bad. 98% of the folks here are still out of power. Thank god my hotel just got theirs back an hour before I got here.
We had the storm chaser contractors come by today. Good luck.

Bro you need to take your gear with you . I have a buddy that lives in Iowa and he’s killed some insanely big bucks up there . He usually hunts in northern Iowa and Illinois . Some of those deer make ours down here in Florida look like dogs

Pretty sure Iowa is a draw state for deer. Your best bet is Missouri, Kansas, or Nebraska if you are wanting to hunt that area. Way better hunting than here. They actually manage out there.

Bro you need to take your gear with you . I have a buddy that lives in Iowa and he’s killed some insanely big bucks up there . He usually hunts in northern Iowa and Illinois . Some of those deer make ours down here in Florida look like dogs
I know man but seriously...I start inspections tomorrow. Once that starts, it will be insane. I wont be able to breath for at least the next month. I would love to go up here. Maybe someone with some private land will invite me....They have some HUGE deer up here...

Brings back memories of Hugo ('89). :(
Man, I am shocked at the damage I have seen here today. All the traffic lights are out so traffic is a nightmare. None of the restaurants around my hotel have power so dinner last night was a bag of potato chips. Already, I have had some insureds send me pictures of their houses where there is no doubt they have structural damage. And, they are calling for the possibility of wind storms tonight again at 50-60 mph.

Reactions: Flameout12
Man, I am shocked at the damage I have seen here today. All the traffic lights are out so traffic is a nightmare. None of the restaurants around my hotel have power so dinner last night was a bag of potato chips. Already, I have had some insureds send me pictures of their houses where there is no doubt they have structural damage. And, they are calling for the possibility of wind storms tonight again at 50-60 mph.
Stay strong! Encourage those affected to be patient. They will recover. We did!

Bring back decent priced corn!

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT