ADVERTISEMENT

Seems several transfers from Clemson all the sudden

CCUIrmo

Jul 15, 2010
Reported this morning that Hunter Johnson, who battled for starting job last year, has announced he will now transfer. Leaves Bryant and Lawrence as 2 battling for QB job there with Chase Brice going to be clear number 3. I know this has alot to do with playing time but to have 2 high ranking players leave suddenly is unusual. Will there be more perhaps?

Reported this morning that Hunter Johnson, who battled for starting job last year, has announced he will now transfer. Leaves Bryant and Lawrence as 2 battling for QB job there with Chase Brice going to be clear number 3. I know this has alot to do with playing time but to have 2 high ranking players leave suddenly is unusual. Will there be more perhaps?
Wouldn’t mind having a few of these problems here under the right circumstances.

Reactions: Sir_Spur
The curse is the cure. When you are recruiting at Clemson's recent level you end up with a bunch of highly rated players sitting on the bench. This doesn't sit well with kids who have been told all their lives that they are probably going to the NFL. Nice problem to have. Hope things get to that point in Columbia.

The curse is the cure. When you are recruiting at Clemson's recent level you end up with a bunch of highly rated players sitting on the bench. This doesn't sit well with kids who have been told all their lives that they are probably going to the NFL. Nice problem to have. Hope things get to that point in Columbia.
Sad but true.....

Reactions: Michaelt29340

I hear Bryant is considering transferring to Arkansas to play right away as a grad transfer. He has already graduated. Clemson would be seriously hurting if all they had was a true freshman to rely on with no quality backups.

Reactions: Horseshoe 04
I hear Bryant is considering transferring to Arkansas to play right away as a grad transfer. He has already graduated. Clemson would be seriously hurting if all they had was a true freshman to rely on with no quality backups.

Oh, please lets get there............. Maybe Bryant's next coach will take him out of the game if he is injured.

I contribute some of these transfers to promises not kept they sell these players a bill of goods on how much they must have them and once on the team they learn it all BS you have to earn PT. Muschamp is a smart recruiter but not a greedy one. The Great Wall of Clemson is beginning to fall.

I contribute some of these transfers to promises not kept they sell these players a bill of goods on how much they must have them and once on the team they learn it all BS you have to earn PT. Muschamp is a smart recruiter but not a greedy one. The Great Wall of Clemson is beginning to fall.
Like I've said before; I really, really hope current and future recruits will see and comprehend this. If some of them wise up to the old used car salesman up thar........

Reactions: Rod Dangerfield
If all he is there for this year is to provide Lawrence a few games to get his feet under him and then act as a backup (as has been speculated by both SC and Clemson supporters), then he damned well should leave. Bryant is too talented and experienced to hang around under those circumstances.

Well I would be hurt if I was led to believe that I was joining a new family. Everybody is all in and positive like Tony Robbins. Some long haired kid comes in and he is royalty without even doing 2 a days would suck.

Why would clemson be in damage control. I hate the tigers just as much as anyone but open up your eyes. Everyone saw this coming. They had 3 5 star qb on the roster. Do you really expect them just to ride the pine? Bryant will never be a NFL qb, he just won’t.

Alabama has people leave every year no one says anything about them. They have recruited as high as anyone lately. I don’t feel these transfers are a sign of anything other than a loaded stable. I wish it was, I just don’t think it is.

Well I would be hurt if I was led to believe that I was joining a new family. Everybody is all in and positive like Tony Robbins. Some long haired kid comes in and he is royalty without even doing 2 a days would suck.

If your good your good. If a kid came in throwing and doing better to you they shouldn’t be above you? That does not make any sense.

Well, apparently the other so called superstars don't agree.
What other “Superstars”. Said they did not agree am I missing something. At the end of the day hunter Johnson Was a 5 Star qb that could have gone a lot of places. He chose clemson not knowing that Trevor Lawrence was coming. Things change, I don’t think anyone in his shoes would stay knowing they were not #1 or 2

What other “Superstars”. Said they did not agree am I missing something. At the end of the day hunter Johnson Was a 5 Star qb that could have gone a lot of places. He chose clemson not knowing that Trevor Lawrence was coming. Things change, I don’t think anyone in his shoes would stay knowing they were not #1 or 2
Maybe it's that I had no idea what you meant.

....and if another QB comes in next season and he's playing better than the "long haired kid", then I hope the "long haired kid" is sitting the bench...even if it means he tranfers to another team to get playing time...I think this is how football works.

Do you guys really want Bentley playing is there is a better QB on the bench?

Reactions: Zann77

Zerrick Cooper (Bryant’s backup for last year’s Syracuse game) has already transferred.

Bryant may transfer if he reads the writing on the wall as far as Lawrence is concerned. But don't see him at Arkansas. With Morris down there he is looking for a thrower to run that offense. Not sure Bryant fits that bill. Most of his passes, that were completed, seemed to be in the 0-15 yard variety to then let an athlete make a play. Very inconsistent throwing deep. But he may be content just to finish things up at Clemson as I really don't see him having the NFL in his future

Reactions: TheRoosterGuru
Why would clemson be in damage control. I hate the tigers just as much as anyone but open up your eyes. Everyone saw this coming. They had 3 5 star qb on the roster. Do you really expect them just to ride the pine? Bryant will never be a NFL qb, he just won’t.

Alabama has people leave every year no one says anything about them. They have recruited as high as anyone lately. I don’t feel these transfers are a sign of anything other than a loaded stable. I wish it was, I just don’t think it is.

You're exactly right. I don't understand how the fans looking at it as a bad thing makes sense.

Bryant may transfer if he reads the writing on the wall as far as Lawrence is concerned. But don't see him at Arkansas. With Morris down there he is looking for a thrower to run that offense. Not sure Bryant fits that bill. Most of his passes, that were completed, seemed to be in the 0-15 yard variety to then let an athlete make a play. Very inconsistent throwing deep. But he may be content just to finish things up at Clemson as I really don't see him having the NFL in his future

Regardless, all the smoke is coming from Arkansas right now. That's the only place I hear he's heading.

Morris runs a dink and dunk offense as well. IIRC Boyd didn't have a big arm either to throw the long ball. I actually think Bryant would be a perfect fit for him. Remember Watson beat USC his freshman season with those 0-15 yard passes with CM still the OC.

You're exactly right. I don't understand how the fans looking at it as a bad thing makes sense.

They may still be okay at the QB position but tater fans are complaining of defensive line depth. Their entire defensive line is gonna be gone and they were counting on Belk.

He'll be ours soon. Feels good to rob them of their security blanket.

Reactions: TheRoosterGuru
They may still be okay at the QB position but tater fans are complaining of defensive line depth. Their entire defensive line is gonna be gone and they were counting on Belk.

He'll be ours soon. Feels good to rob them of their security blanket.

The DE position is technically part of the defensive line. The roster is very talented and deep there through 2020 at least. Critical to find another player like Dex Lawrence that can play (or start) on the interior as a freshman. There are a few potentials that would likely pass Belk on the depth chart.

I don't think they'll take a graduate transfer to fill a prominent role, but they might take one as a backup DT, like the QB that transferred from Stanford a few years ago. A JUCO is out of the question, even if the academics accepted the transfer, because that's a selling point they make to recruits.

Hire Butch Jones he is great at damage control

3825218.gif

The DE position is technically part of the defensive line. The roster is very talented and deep there through 2020 at least. Critical to find another player like Dex Lawrence that can play (or start) on the interior as a freshman. There are a few potentials that would likely pass Belk on the depth chart.

I don't think they'll take a graduate transfer to fill a prominent role, but they might take one as a backup DT, like the QB that transferred from Stanford a few years ago. A JUCO is out of the question, even if the academics accepted the transfer, because that's a selling point they make to recruits.

No guarantees there either. Xavier Thomas may be rethinking his commitment too. Hope Belk plants a seed in his ear. Can you imagine getting two five star DL gift wrapped from the taters? They would fall apart from the inside out!

Well said.

No guarantees there either. Xavier Thomas may be rethinking his commitment too. Hope Belk plants a seed in his ear. Can you imagine getting two five star DL gift wrapped from the taters? They would fall apart from the inside out!
That would be spectacular, but what makes you think XT is rethinking anything?

Not true. There has been recent discussions about Alabama losing QBs also, resulting in lack of depth.

Not true. There has been recent discussions about Alabama losing QBs also, resulting in lack of depth.

Talking about lack of depth and a elite team falling are two different discussion. Most people here are talking about Clemson’s transfers as a sign the wall is falling. I’m just saying don’t read to much into things

I think at the end of this year's recruiting season, we will be recruiting at Clemson's level. Clemson isn't a traditional power but a Johnny come lately program that has peaked out over the last four years. With the easiest path to the playoffs, they are perceived as something they are not. Spurrier killed the only major obstacle in their path to glamor by letting our program hit bottom. Well, Champ and Co. already have us primed to be East contenders in the SEC which makes us as good as any in the ACC and spells trouble for the Swinney love train. We will be the toughest out on their schedule this year.We might even be favored before the kick off. We are trending big time up but I don't see Pickens Tech being as good as the couple of Watson years plus I expect probation to be in their not too distant future.

Reactions: P_Spencer12
I think at the end of this year's recruiting season, we will be recruiting at Clemson's level. Clemson isn't a traditional power but a Johnny come lately program that has peaked out over the last four years. With the easiest path to the playoffs, they are perceived as something they are not. Spurrier killed the only major obstacle in their path to glamor by letting our program hit bottom. Well, Champ and Co. already have us primed to be East contenders in the SEC which makes us as good as any in the ACC and spells trouble for the Swinney love train. We will be the toughest out on their schedule this year.We might even be favored before the kick off. We are trending big time up but I don't see Pickens Tech being as good as the couple of Watson years plus I expect probation to be in their not too distant future.
HEAR HEAR!

Can you give me your dealers number? I need some of the stuff you are getting.

You honestly thing we would be favored at game time that’s laughable. You do realize we have not scored a touchdown against thier starters in two years. I’m not saying we can’t win, I’m just being a realist. Their entire line is back the very line that has killed us the last two years. What do we have new that will offset that? Maybe I’m missing something

Reactions: agantt

You honestly thing we would be favored at game time that’s laughable. You do realize we have not scored a touchdown against thier starters in two years. I’m not saying we can’t win, I’m just being a realist. Their entire line is back the very line that has killed us the last two years. What do we have new that will offset that? Maybe I’m missing something
Where did you think the baseball team would land back in March? It's a long football season and we're going to be pretty good I don't care what happened in the past it's all new now.

Where did you think the baseball team would land back in March? It's a long football season and we're going to be pretty good I don't care what happened in the past it's all new now.

About where we are. We are still missing a lot of the spokes in the wheel. Don’t get me wrong think Muschamp is doing a great job. He just needs to keep recruiting. He don’t have a offensive line to answer to thier defensive line. They still put match us in some very important positions. Just being a realist and not a sunshine pumper.

Reactions: awaters488

Who is "we"? Based on your posts, it's a bit confusing.

Reactions: Lakecock1
ADVERTISEMENT